The moral high ground?

What has it come to, that we are linked with Craig Bellamy?

Libel laws forbid me from saying what I really feel about him, his attitude and general behaviour, as they're pretty strong and would include some naughty words.

I'm probably in the minority in taking the moral high ground, but I would refuse to support a team that he is part of. I really hope that we don't sign him, although to be fair my fishing would prosper and so would my blood pressure.

I'll be back at the end of his contract...

Jeremy Benson, Cotswolds     Posted 29/06/2011 at 16:56:28

Comments

David Barks
1   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:28:34

What exactly has he ever done to you? Has he killed anyone? Raped anyone? Defrauded millions of their life savings? What is so morally reprehensible about the guy?
Dave Lynch
2   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:31:16

My fishing has prospered since giving up my season ticket.
Paul Gladwell
3   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:42:28

What utter shite, I cannot stand Joey Barton but would have him tommorow, it would not change my support for the club.
Anyone who can claim they would stop supporting us over the signing of a bit of an idiot is beyond me, most footballers are pricks anyway, it does question how much of a blue you are in my opinion.
Brian Waring
4   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:51:01

Wouldn't have minded him a couple of years ago.
Trevor Mackie
5   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:50:25

Jeremy its a slippery slope - young men are pricks, particularly wealthy ones. - most of us on here have skeletons in the cupboard.

When I was younger I'd have got jail if the coppers were faster.

The whole hero thing is a myth - just roll with it, you'll go mad otherwise.
Andy Crooks
6   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:53:17

Jeremy. I admit that Bellamy is, to put it mildly, hard to warm to. He's a moaning faced hateful little shit. But..... I've heard him interviewed on non-footballing matters and it seems to me that he has morals where it is important to have them. If he played for Everton and showed the same determination as he has elsewhere, well, I 'd let our opponents hate him/

Joey Barton is different. He's done some truly awful stuff. Can he change? Well, why not? Time is running out for him and he's got something to prove. I really am not a liberal bleeding heart but people change. It happens all the time, If Joey Barton is to come good, Everton is his best chance to do it,

Jeremy Benson
7   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:00:57

Paul, utter shite?

You may choose club over morals, I choose not to. Makes me question what kind of a person you are, in my opinion.

John Daley
8   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:09:49

Well, he can definitely be an irritating gobshite but he does have some redeeming features:

1) He understandably took a golf club to John Arne Riise after the gormless ginner had the bare faced cheek to refuse to get up on the karaoke

2) He wound that smarmy get Alan Shearer up so much that he still holds a grudge against him

3) He slapped a Man City fan

4) He hates Rafa Benitez
5) He hates Roberto Mancini
6) He hates Graeme Souness
7)) He's also a linguistic genius:- ?Graeme Souness has just gone behind my back in front of my face.?
David Barks
9   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:32:32

I'm still not seeing what would be immoral about signing him.
Dave Wilson
10   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:33:04

Indeed John #8, I didnt realise how impressive his CV was. The guy should be knighted.

I`d have Bellamy in our team tomorrow, I`m sick to fucken death of 'nice'.

Jeremy

Endless hours of rod-in-hand fun await you... don't forget to buy a licence.
Mike Gwyer
11   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:36:01

Jeremy.

Lighten up, however, to save you any due stress his £90K per week will have BK laughing for weeks.

John #8.

Funny as.
Peter Warren
12   Posted 29/06/2011 at 21:33:11

Bellamy is an irritating moaning little twat who winds up both supporters ,opposition and forever moaning at referees. Exactly the type of player we need. If we got him and the other reject, wright philips and a ball winning snarling utter thug in the name of Barton, I would be made up
Dennis Stevens
13   Posted 29/06/2011 at 21:47:02

Although Bellamy may be somewhat of a narky git, I'm not sure about the whole morality point ? that probably would stand up better if applied to Barton, say. However, narky gits are something we seem to be rather devoid of & one or two might improve the balance of the team/squad. Nonetheless, I suspect we won't be signing anybody looking for the sort of salary either of these players are on.
Ray Roche
14   Posted 29/06/2011 at 22:10:41

The only thing I can think of in his (Bellends) favour is that he applauded Felllaini's showboating when we beat City at home season before last.

Oh, and he's a Welshman who doesn't corner you in a pub and sing at you.

Might glass you,though...
Paul Olsen
15   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:09:59

Here´s something to warm you guys towards him

Bellamy is not a complete ass, at least when he´s off the pitch.
Rob Jones
16   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:33:07

Paul (15) - just read down the thread and was about to post the same.
Chris Bannantyne
17   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:25:43

I'd take the "nutter with a putter" if he was free and he'd drop his wages. That's about it.

Everyone hates Bellamy, personally there are a lot of footballers who shit me more (although I'm not always sure why):

Rio Ferdinand
Lampard
John Terry
Gerrard
Drogba
Skrtel
Balotelli
Crouch
Delap
Ashley Cole
Tevez

In fairness, most of these players have incurred my wrath for trivial crap like the way they play, who they play for, and sometimes just their stupid looking faces. But, rightly or wrongly, these players (and a whole bunch more) annoy me more than Bellamy.

Lee Courtliff
18   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:45:52

I would be quite happy if we signed Bellamy. Not sure how much longer his pace will last though.

And the wages will be difficult for us to match anyway.
Pat Finegan
19   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:36:27

Heitinga shoulder checked Ashley Cole.

Pienaar got caught driving drunk.

Rodwell allegedly sent a picture of lil' Rodwell to a prozzy (havent seen any proof but no denial either.)

Duncan Ferguson had numerous behavioral incidents.

Did you stop supporting Everton when any of that happened?
Peter Bourke
20   Posted 30/06/2011 at 00:22:34

Why oh Why are people waisting their time talking about gossip. if he signs for us then yes open the flood gates but all the comments about this player or that are simply a waste of time.
We wont be signing anyone until the last day of the window.
Steve Sweeney
21   Posted 30/06/2011 at 00:30:18

Ah Peter #20
a bit of sanity well said/posted
Dennis Stevens
22   Posted 30/06/2011 at 00:51:59

Why, oh why, are people wasting their time talking about people talking about gossip?
David Duffy
23   Posted 30/06/2011 at 01:00:17

C'mon, any good players are welcome!

When there's no signing, you moan. And when there is (just speculation anyway) you moan too. What the fuck. Can't you see the passion he has got when he play?

We are here to support a football club, footballers and manager, most importantly football, not saints!

Jeremy, why don't you support a church team instead?
Eric Myles
24   Posted 30/06/2011 at 02:08:25

^David, we are a church team, if yer know yer 'istory.
Steven Pendleton
25   Posted 30/06/2011 at 03:18:30

Shouldn't you sign off on your little spiel as Saint Jeremy? Cmon, you've never fucked up or done something really stupid?

Yes, Bellamy has done more stupid things than the average person but if he were to score a hat trick in his first game I for one would be watching and would forgive him for his misdemeanours.

He won't be coming anyway as we've got no fuckin money so don't lose sleep over the speculation.
Jason Lam
26   Posted 30/06/2011 at 03:38:34

Bellamy is just what we need. Another Andy Gray up front moaning about everything.
Anthony Hawkins
27   Posted 30/06/2011 at 06:34:22

#10 Dave Wilson. There are too many nice players in the team at the moment. It's missing a Vinnie Jones or Roy Keane type player to inject some fire and passion into the team.
Paul Gladwell
28   Posted 30/06/2011 at 06:44:53

Jeremy, the type of person I am is a 42 year old man with 35 years of season tickets, that will tell you I don't jump ship over little things like if we signed some welsh mouth with small man syndrome.
You harp on about morales, where you fishing for Pike when Duncan was swirling his shirt about all those years ago as when we signed him made Bellamy look like a puppet from in the night garden and carried it on throughout his career despite us all loving his old school image, to many outside of Goodison he was a thug.
What about when we signed Physco Pat too because Birmingham needed to get rid of him and a few other thugs they had then?
Or let's get really silly and question old Dixie getting pissed up and sleeping in the changing rooms the night before a game.
If I took it on me to jack it in over what certain players have done I doubt I would have witnessed many Everton games, I love my club for its name not the players who come and go, enjoy your fishing because to me you just don't get it.
Tony Cheek
29   Posted 30/06/2011 at 07:24:39

Peter #12...exactly, we havnt had an irritating moaning twat since Duncan hang his boots uo...and hes a bleeding hero!
Seriously, just think about him and Beckford up front....fastest strikers in the league.....bring him on!
Jon Ferguson
30   Posted 30/06/2011 at 09:00:37

I hate Alladyce with a passion, but if he was appointed our manager I?d still go the game.

Bellamy is a mouthy twat, but as previously stated, he?s not an animal like Barton. He does give 100% when playing and I was impressed with the way him and Tevez took it to Terry on behalf of Wayne Bridge when City played Chelsea the other season. It showed a solidarity in the dressing room I didn?t think existed at City (and has seemingly disappeared since).

That being said, I?d still rather he didn?t don the royal blue!
Paul Thompson
31   Posted 30/06/2011 at 09:45:54

There are two issues here: the specifics of Craig Bellamy and the generality of players and moral choices.

On the former, okay he's done some stupid things, but his heart is generally in the right place and his work setting up football academies in SIerra Leone (paid for largely from his own money) is admirable.

On the latter, everybody has their preferences and prejudices. I wouldn't be happy with Everton being associated with Paulo di Canio as I don't like fascists. But no signing or apointment (or at least nothing I can think of) would stop me supporting the club. I don't watch players in search of role models, which is a good job as they are in distinctly short supply.

So, Jeremy, my advice would be: put your moral indignation to better use.
Dave Roberts
32   Posted 30/06/2011 at 10:52:11

Actually I quite like Bellamy...even if it's only because he seems to be irritated by the same noncers who irritate me! He's a good player too...though not as good as he thinks he is.

My only problem with signing him, if it happens which I doubt, is that it would be a short term matter as he is reaching the end of his career.
Gavin Ramejkis
33   Posted 30/06/2011 at 11:06:24

Agree with Dave Wilson on this one that we sorely lack anyone hard in the team and are far too nice during games with this sportsmanship shite, the whole respect campaign was a joke as the Sky darlings haven't bothered so why should we, nice guys tend to finish last
Mike Allison
34   Posted 30/06/2011 at 11:45:49

People sometimes ask 'what makes Everton special/unique?', indeed there was a thread about it a couple of months ago that really got my back up.

Part of the answer is that we don't sign players like Barton and Bellamy.
Daniel A Johnson
35   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:08:49

I liek him when hes happy he give 200% and plus hes a bit of a nasty abstard at times................were too nicey nicey, barton and Bellamy could be anice bit of chilli and spice for the blandness that has set into the squad.

Neville good leader yes...............warrior no.
Scott Hamilton
36   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:09:59

It's not so much about moral high ground but more about Moyes not losing control of the dressing room.

Players like Barton and Bellamy can be enough to push other players "over the edge" and before you know it you've got a mutiny on your hands.

Imagine if we'd had either of those players in the squad during the first few months of last season. You could see them turning the dressing room against Moyes and all hell breaking lose!

Personally, I would watch an Everton team that consisted of Mao Tse Tung, Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein et al provided they all put 100% in, had talent and loved the mighty blues... not currently being dead would help too!
Paul Gladwell
37   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:23:42

Mike #33 not sure what you mean with that shout mate.
We signed the big fella who had three convictions for assault and a fourth one with a prison sentence awaiting him, one included an assault on a man on crutches, another one at a taxi rank and another in a pub.
I am not slating the big fella, as he became an idol of mine, but when people are slating certain players then idolising ones who have done far worse, it all seems a bit contradictory to say the least.
Steve Guy
38   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:38:50

Type or paste your comment here. No txt-speak, please try to use proper grammar, all-lowercase posts are likely to be deleted
Steve Guy
39   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:38:50

Steve Guy
40   Posted 30/06/2011 at 12:39:10

Oops ! The point I would make is that this is not about morality, it's about whether you want a player in our squad who is outside our perceived mould of solid, dependable professionals with a team ethic etc.

Bellamy doesn't fit that mould. The other player cited in this threasd is Barton, who clear has, shall we say "issues".

That Paedo playing in Scotland, now THATS a morality issue
Andrew Ellams
41   Posted 30/06/2011 at 13:08:30

A player with pace and with goals in him. What would we want to be signing him for anyway? He'd never fit in
Ian Kearney
42   Posted 30/06/2011 at 13:17:59

Forget the moral dilema, we are talking about spending money on a 31-year-old whose only real asset is pace, and who didn't exactly light up the Championship.
Luke Dunn
43   Posted 30/06/2011 at 13:31:15

Dont get what everyone is winging about... Bellamy & Wright-Phillips would be great additions along with Barton.
Karl Meighan
44   Posted 30/06/2011 at 17:24:03

The only way we will sign players with good quality is if they have baggage, we simply cant afford them otherwise.

Andrew@41 says it all for me pace and goals he can even play wide so should fit in with Moyes's way of thinking.

Barton is another, as someone above says, who I would have tomorrow. I believe you can easily teach a person to grow up and behave, but you can't teach a shite footballer to be quality.
Mike Allison
45   Posted 30/06/2011 at 17:28:53

Yeah no-one really understood it before either. You've got a point about Duncan, and as a teenager supporting a shite Everton team in a town where hardly anyone else did he definitely became a hero of mine despite his violence so maybe it is hypocritical. I still think there is something about Everton that is different to most clubs, I do think we at least attempt to maintain high moral standards, and have done throughout most of our history.

A separate issue, apart from distaste, is whether they'd be good signings. I don't really think either of them would. Bellamy just because of age and assumed high wages, but Barton I see as a really disruptive influence in a dressing room, with a completely inflated opinion of his own ability. I'm confident Moyes will steer clear of him, but I think if Bellamy decided he wanted to play in the top half of the Premier League without being too worried about cash he would be a reasonable and realistic signing, given our obvious limits in the transfer market. I doubt its even close to happening though so its all just a case of staving off boredom I suppose until we swap Baines for the entire Man City reserve squad/bench...
Karl Meighan
46   Posted 30/06/2011 at 17:41:49

My reasons for wanting both would be that they have performed at a high level with consistency in the Premier League and imo would bring quality and add to the numbers.

When the likes of Jerome are costing 8m i just dont see anyone coming in with a proven football record that we could afford.

Both Bellamy and Barton if it were'nt for the nonesense would be in high demand with 15-20m price tags on there head. The alternative is bring in young unheard of foreign players who are unlikely to be ready that almost no fans will be happy about.
Andy Crooks
47   Posted 30/06/2011 at 19:54:41

Steve Guy, yes that really is a morality issue. Who decides what crimes are forgiveable? The guy was fined by the court. If he was brilliant and no one would take him. Well how about Everton? Is it a case of the better the player the more his crime is tolerated?
James Stewart
48   Posted 01/07/2011 at 01:22:26

Bellamy also funds and set up a soccer academy in Africa but the media don't like to talk about that as it doesn't go with his "image". If he wanted to play for us we would be daft not to take him. Not sure he has more than 1 or 2 seasons left in him though so it's hardly building for the future.