Summer Signings ?? No Chance!

For those like me who have searched all the usual sites NewsNow/ToffeeWeb for any glimpses of a new signing, well after flying back from Orlando this morning and bumping into David Moyes & Paul Jewell on the plane, I asked him what if any signings would be made:

DM: "At present, none; I can't buy when I haven't been given any money."

I asked if we are selling to buy, again he answered, "If I haven't had any bids how can I sell?"

Finally I asked is there any chance Paul Jewell would consider taking Anichebe for a £1.00 a week, he just started laughing.

As he said earlier in the summer, don't listen to speculation. I for one won't now... even though I will still need my daily fix of searching /hoping for some good news.
Tommy Heske, Walton     Posted 30/06/2011 at 18:19:37

Comments

Stephen Leary
1   Posted 30/06/2011 at 19:26:58

You should've asked where the Pienaar money, Yakubu money and Vaughan money has gone. You should also have asked why didn't he go to Villa ? has he no ambition? And what did Moyes say when you said that to Jewell, did he laugh too?
David Barks
2   Posted 30/06/2011 at 19:35:17

Of course, this is assuming that the Everton manager would disclose his prospective signings to some bloke he met on a plane. What manager/executive of any business goes around and just spouts their business strategies and plans to people they run into on a plane or in a restaurant?

Of course most speculation is false, otherwise we and every other club would have signed around 100 players over the past 2-3 seasons and sold their entire squad 3 or 4 times over. It's not really a surprise. You should have reminded him though that in the past six months we have sold Pienaar, Vaughan and the Yobo transfer has been on going. Certainly a bid was made on Vaughan for us to have accepted it.

Karl Jones
3   Posted 30/06/2011 at 20:55:11

I couldn't care less about all the speculation this summer. This time last year proved what a load of shite is printed in the so-called media...

Arteta to City, then to Spain because his child is going blind;... Jagielka to Arsenal... Rodwell to Man Utd/City (even though he had just signed five-year contract!)... Pienaar to Spurs, City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea... Baines to Liverpool... Moyes to Liverpool/Aston Villa... Yakubu to West Ham... Saha to Turkey for 8 Million!...

Not one of the above happened. In a lot of cases it was stated "Will sign for" and "Fee agreed".

You could go through a list of all the players that apparently we were "about to sign" that never happened also.

A Man Utd supporting friend of mine told me that their magazine put together a list of 98 players linked with them last summer, and not one ended up at Old Trafford.

The fact is the British media don't know the meaning of truth or honesty.
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 30/06/2011 at 21:40:31

Hold your breath for Kenshite's news conference - accccording to a Sporting Lisbon blog we have loaned Eric Dier again next season - http://leoeslions.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/eric-dier-loaned-to-everton-for-another-season/ Kenshite will claim it as a star new signing
Coll Heske
5   Posted 30/06/2011 at 21:54:42

David 2# I agree what you say regarding spouting prospective business plans; however, I'm only saying what was said, he came across very honest in his answers and could have just said, "Yeah, we're actively looking at players."

Stephen 1#, Jewel just grinned in that smug way he does on Sky, with his jeans pulled up over his chest.

The observation I gained is that, despite the current bleak transfer budget, he genuinely loves the club and his integrity is beyond reproach, he just gets on with the job rightly or wrongly with the constraints Bill imposes.

As said in the responses above, I wanted to ask many questions but wanted to get through Customs with all me Duty Free.

I suppose time will tell but I like many others will wait in the hope we sign someone, even if it's just a brickie to finish the Park End wall they started knocking down.
Kunal Desai
6   Posted 30/06/2011 at 22:12:24

Gavin #4 - Wow, just wow - in Bills words. The 'watch this space' signing we'll have all been waiting for. BK will be purring at the fact that we tried to sign him at the age of 14 but it wasn't possible but we've now finally got him. :-)
Will Leaf
7   Posted 01/07/2011 at 01:44:02

As a gauge to the seriousness of Everton's finances, were they travelling in steerage?