Season › 2014-15 › News
World Cup Winner talks about Everton

Mustafi played once for Everton in the 2009 Europa League but was eventually released at his request in 2012 © Getty Images
The 22 year-old German international was picked up by the former Everton manager as a promising 17 year-old but made just one appearance for the Blues, that as substitute in the Europa League defeat to BATE Borisov in 2009 which saw a number of the club's young players given a run-out in the final group game of that year's competition.
It was a lack of first-team opportunities that prompted Mustafi to ask Moyes to release him in the summer of 2012, a wish that was granted whereupon he joined Sampdoria.
Two years later, the Bad Hersfield-born player was selected by Jogi Loew for Germany's 23-man World Cup squad following injury to Marco Reus and Mustafi ended up playing three times in Brazil as his country won the trophy for the fourth time.
Mustafi is pragmatic about his time in England, though, and speaks in complimentary fashion about Everton.
"The time I was at Everton I had to step on because I was not playing," he said. "I needed to play so I asked David Moyes to release me. I needed to play to grow up.
"Everton were really professional with me and said it wasn't a problem to give me away because I wasn't playing. They always thought about the players not themselves.
"That is unusual. They wanted to give the players the best opportunity and, for me, that was to move on and go somewhere where I could play.
"I took a step back to go to Serie B in Italy to make two steps forward and now I am here."
The former Hamburg SV defender is back in Germany now where his teammates are enjoying a hero's welcome following their triumph over Argentina in extra time on Sunday.
"The German language has a lot of words, but I don't know how to describe the feeling I felt in those last minutes," Mustafi continued. "For a 22-year-old player, it is not so easy to understand what just happened.
"I played my first competitive games for the national team here at the World Cup after being called up for the tournament at the last moment. Now I am lifting the trophy. It is unbelievable."
Quotes sourced from Daily Express
Reader Comments (25)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
3 Posted 15/07/2014 at 08:10:12
4 Posted 15/07/2014 at 08:18:52
If only the same attitude could be said of the English players who donÂt even come close to the German mentality of being "Winners".
Sadly the British mentality when it comes to sport will always be heroic failure.
5 Posted 15/07/2014 at 08:36:18
6 Posted 15/07/2014 at 08:38:32
After Lescott, it appears he swung to the other extreme and let anyone leave who wanted to.
7 Posted 15/07/2014 at 10:06:52
8 Posted 15/07/2014 at 11:09:55
We will probably regret this long term but letÂs concentrate on who we are bringing in – not those we let go. All gone quiet on the Besic front and everywhere else...
Last-minute loan deals again?
9 Posted 15/07/2014 at 11:28:42
Either way, itÂs a great story. And heÂs behaved with a bit of class in this interview. It would have been easy to say "Everton never gave me a chance and look at me now".
IÂd rather focus on the positive aspect (as he has) than the negative. In truth, he hasnÂt exactly proven us wrong yet; despite being on the fringes of an excellent national team, is he actually better than what we have? Would he have earned that experience with us? And players that even get to this level after getting dropped at a young age are very rare.
Good luck to him.
10 Posted 15/07/2014 at 11:37:23
11 Posted 15/07/2014 at 11:38:18
12 Posted 15/07/2014 at 12:03:23
13 Posted 15/07/2014 at 12:23:15
14 Posted 15/07/2014 at 12:34:12
15 Posted 15/07/2014 at 12:57:38
16 Posted 15/07/2014 at 13:13:45
In the interview last week, Martinez seemed quite certain that we would "have two in before we play Leicester in Thailand on July 27, and another two before we play them on August 16". Make what you will of that but youÂd assume two would be Besic and Traore, along with Barry.
We are still waiting for that one big signing, most likely, hopefully itÂs the 20-goal-a-season striker, Lukaku or Bony perhaps? Unlikely to be either but fingers crossed...
We also need another wide player to bring some lightening pace like Deulofeu did (albeit cameos from him). I hope we can get something done.
I donÂt know about other fans but I wonÂt be too chuffed if our three summer signings are Barry, Besic & Traore. Nothing on those lads but they are not going to bring the added quality that we need to challenge the top 4.
17 Posted 15/07/2014 at 13:45:08
Germans might be able to consider themselves lucky their only injuries were in positions they had depth. Like that unbelievable amount of talent they can put behind a striker.
18 Posted 15/07/2014 at 13:49:09
Hmmm...well letÂs have a look shall we.
"Mustafi was originally left out of Joachim LowÂs squad, but an injury to Marco Reus opened the door to him. He was on the substitutes bench as Germany beat Argentina in the Maracana after sustaining a thigh injury against Algeria in the last 16 and today will take part in a civic reception in Berlin"
So in answer to your question, IÂll say everyone on the planet didnÂt... including you.
By the way, hereÂs a mad idea: maybe, just maybe, Joachim Low is a better judge of a footballer than the ginger presbyterian, so when you say Âhe didnÂt impress here maybe that was because the person he was trying to impress thought Phil Neville could play in midfield and would have selected Ossie even if both his legs were broken (and on many occasions, it appeared...)
As for the Germans were Âlucky – dear me.
19 Posted 15/07/2014 at 14:21:58
The second part may have been a dig at the fact that he came in to replace one of those unbelievable attacking midfielders they seem to be creating from thin air. A place they are well-stocked, as opposed to defence which I consider them to be slightly under-stocked, given they had to bring in the Sampdoria centre-half instead of a top-tier Champions League centre-half.
20 Posted 15/07/2014 at 15:10:42
21 Posted 15/07/2014 at 16:26:51
Sorry Jim Bennings, can't agree with the "glorious British failure" bit, there are many, many examples of British World Champions in many sports down the ages.
22 Posted 15/07/2014 at 17:16:48
24 Posted 15/07/2014 at 18:47:21
I suppose come late August we will here a statement from Bill saying all our transfer kitty has gone because the cost of Johnson's paint has gone up when painting the ground..oh dear
25 Posted 15/07/2014 at 19:40:40
27 Posted 16/07/2014 at 22:37:32
28 Posted 17/07/2014 at 01:40:25
A little out of his depth at full back, in my opinion, but I think, if the Blues could rewind and have the boy back, IÂm sure things would be done differently. That said, it could be worse: we could have allowed Pique to go for around ٤m and Pogba to leave on a free –like a certain club did!!
Good luck to the lad, is my shout to him, and to all our fans, IÂd say "Be glad he left as we may not have bought Stones as a replacement, who, in my eyes, is miles better.
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


1 Posted 15/07/2014 at 07:41:33