Reader Comments (55)

Paul Ferry
1 Posted 03/06/2019 at 06:56:09
Dear mate Jamie,

Beautiful. I shed tears. I'm so sorry for you and yours loss and of course Steve's and all of his.

What a wonderful friendship forged in blue. 52 FFS. At least Steve did not see the spawny shite win it.

Your honesty and integrity comes over in all your posts Jamie. I love your occasional slip-ups while always loving your devotedness and 'education' about all things Scouse. When you go there I will make sure to be there.

Please give ToffeeWeb blue to Steve's family at the funeral and also to the Crowley Everton dynasty and that Burnley supporter too.

Thanks for this truly moving post and take care mate

Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 03/06/2019 at 07:32:12
Sometimes the best stories are also the saddest Jamie, and you can tell how much you’re gonna miss your “ scouse spar” especially now you’ve moved onto that Proddy shite, in memory of your great friend!

God bless you both Jamie, that was a lovely story, I know you wish you didn’t have to tell us, but all’s we’ve got is memories, and at least you’ve got some special ones to tell us about your best mate, mate!

Si Cooper
3 Posted 03/06/2019 at 08:08:57
A touching tribute Jamie. Well done for honouring your mate. Prayers and best wishes for all Steve’s family and friends.
Brent Stephens
4 Posted 03/06/2019 at 08:14:47
Nice piece, Jamie. Thoughts with you and the family.
Peter Mills
5 Posted 03/06/2019 at 09:10:32
Jamie, that’s a great but very sad post. Sincere condolences on your loss, and to Steve’s family,
Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 03/06/2019 at 09:23:24
Lovely story Jamie, sad but straight from the heart, I know what you mean about the religious divide between you and you both treated it the way it should be treated with laughter, banter and a real love for each other.

That is one of the great things about ToffeeWeb, the way it brings brilliant stories like yours to the table.

Sincere condolences to yourself and all Steve’s family.

Derek Knox
7 Posted 03/06/2019 at 09:38:17
Sorry for you Jamie, and Steve's family on his sad loss, an all too painful reminder, that inevitability will happen to us all, somewhere along the line.

It's strange how people meet each other and turn out to be lifelong friends, and your own experience relayed that to us in the story above.

Dennis Stevens
8 Posted 03/06/2019 at 11:02:36
My condolences to you and to Steve's family, Jamie. Thanks for sharing that touching story of the friendship between two true blues.
Frank Wade
9 Posted 03/06/2019 at 12:56:49
So sorry to read this sad news Jamie. Fantastic tribute you have written for Steve. Sincere condolences.
JP Ashcroft
10 Posted 03/06/2019 at 13:04:19
Jamie, Thank you so much for your tribute.

Steve is my brother and we knew he touched lives wherever he went.

Comments like these mean so much to our family.Very much appreciated.

Jonathan
Brian Williams
11 Posted 03/06/2019 at 14:13:52
Condolences to you and yours, and also Steve's family.
Dave Evans
12 Posted 03/06/2019 at 14:57:48
Thanks for sharing Jamie. As always, told as it is and from the heart. Moving and befitting tribute to Steve.
David Pearl
13 Posted 03/06/2019 at 15:47:02
Thanks for sharing that story Jamie and many condolences.
Dave Ganley
14 Posted 03/06/2019 at 16:49:14
Lovely story Jamie and condolences to you and yours.
Mike Gaynes
15 Posted 03/06/2019 at 17:06:12
Jamie my friend, deepest sympathies to you and yours, and by proxy to the Ashcroft family. 52 is tragic.

Your tribute is elegant and eloquent. We are fortunate in this life if we have one friendship like that of you and Steve. It is irreplaceable.

I hope you will take to heart the terrible reminder you've just been given that we none of us know when the final whistle will blow. In the name of your shared love for Everton, take Steve's memory with you to Goodison. Make it happen.

Paul Birmingham
16 Posted 03/06/2019 at 19:23:16
Once Upon A Time in America. That’s an epic story of a great friend and friendship.

Sincere condolences Jamie and to the Ashcroft family.

You’ll take the memories and his spirit which will be with you for ever.

RIP Steve Ashcroft.

Darren Hind
17 Posted 03/06/2019 at 19:59:08
Thats just beautiful Jamie lad.

A timely wake up call for those of us who have kinda lost track of what is really important these past few days

Got no Irish in the house, but I raise a glass of wine to your buddy Steve.

Andy Crooks
18 Posted 03/06/2019 at 21:15:35
You have delivered a fine and poignant tribute to what sounds like a top man. Moving and thoughtful.
Stephen Brown
19 Posted 03/06/2019 at 21:46:56
Thanks for sharing this story Jamie!

Condolences to all involved! It’s always sad to lose a fellow Evertonian!

Steve Ferns
20 Posted 03/06/2019 at 22:19:54
Great tribute to your mate, Jamie. I can feel your affection pouring out of the screen. One more bluenose up there to hopefully persuade the Big Man to let it be our turn.
Christine Foster
21 Posted 03/06/2019 at 22:47:34
Jamie, what can I say, beautifully sad, wonderful and soul wrenching, Evertonians the world over will smile and raise a glass, for it doesn't matter where you came from, or what your previous life was, once Everton touch you, thats it. You have a family grieving with you the world over.
But one last thing.. you now have a debt to a friend that has to be repaid, to raise a glass in honour of a mate, as you take your seat on the halfway line at Goodison Park.. we await you, and so will Steve.. RIP and pass on our condolences to all his family, they are ours now.
Jamie Crowley
22 Posted 04/06/2019 at 04:32:42
JP @ 10 -

At such a dark time, it was a wonderful thing to connect with you today via Facebook. I loved your brother immensely, and I am very pleased to hear my words are helpful at such a terribly difficult time for your family.

Thank you all who have commented. It's very nice to read such kind words.

Paul Ferry - my wife loved the Burnley shout out. ;0) You're a good man, Ferry, and I want our paths to cross.

Mike Gaynes - know I'd back you through hell in a gasoline suit, my American friend.

Christine Foster - Evertonians the world over will smile and raise a glass. That made me tear up it meant so much Christine. Be assured my debt to my friend will come sooner, rather than later. My wife and I spoke of a Christmas time trip to Liverpool this evening. It will now happen much, much sooner rather than later. I will honor Steve at Goodison before 2019 closes.

Tony, Si, Brent, Petey Mills, Dave "The Godfather" Abrahams, Derek "Punny" Knox, Dennis, Frank, Brian, Dave E., David P., Dave G., Paul, Darren "AR15" Hind, Andy "the Irishman who must be met" Crooks, Stephen, and Steve "Tactical Genius" Ferns -

You're all top people. I thank you. The catharsis for me reading this late at night here in the States is beyond helpful. I can only hope the kind words mean just as much to Steve's family. They're such good people.

Every single time I thought of a trip to Goodison, it was with Steve. Every time. It was a given. I truly hope when the time comes, and again it will be much sooner than later as events like this smack you in the face and make you realize what's really important in this short life, we can all meet in person.

It'll be my honor.

RIP Stevie Mate. When I make the trip, I know you'll be there with me, my friend.

Mark Andersson
23 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:20:33
A great story Jamie the beautiful game bringing beautiful souls together...

Hope you make it to our colourful city one day to meet up with all your blue friends...

Ash Moore
24 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:38:25
Brilliant moving tribute Jamie. I never met the man but your words were so honest and so heartfelt I almost feel like I have now.

I've lit a candle and poured a measure for the fallen. It's a long way from America but good wishes and prayers travel as far as they're needed. If you need them, they'll find you, of that I'm sure.

You're a good guy and a gentleman Jamie, I've always appreciated your contributions around here. Stay strong fella.

Tony Abrahams
25 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:53:52
Short notice Jamie, but you can have my seat in the upper Glawdy St, for the first game at Goodison Pk, next season mate, although I totally understand what Christine says, when she talks about the halfway line.

You can have my seat anytime really, I will even give up the Burnley game for you and your wife! But coming from Florida, Christmas makes sense, straight out of the frying pan, and into the fridge!

JP Ashcroft
26 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:58:33
Jamie just tell me when you can make it over for a game and I'll sort it and be there with you mate.
John G Davies
27 Posted 04/06/2019 at 09:06:34
A great, if sad, post Jamie.
A fitting tribute to your fellow Blue.

Tony Abrahams, class mate. Class

Martin Nicholls
28 Posted 04/06/2019 at 09:55:30
A glowing and poignant tribute to a great friend Jamie - his name is "preserved" on Wiki as a member of the 1982/3 EFC Youth Squad. Condolences to you, JP (Jonathan) and all Steve's family and friends. Try to stay positive my Blue friend.
Hope to meet you when you get over to Goodison.
Bobby Mallon
29 Posted 04/06/2019 at 09:56:25
Rest in peace true blue
Peter Warren
30 Posted 04/06/2019 at 13:15:57
A lovely eulogy. I lost a close one recently and it’s so tough. Best wishes to you and the family
Jack Convery
31 Posted 04/06/2019 at 16:08:59
Condolences to all concerned. A real friend is a treasure and someone never forgotten. A wonderful tribute to a true blue.
Ian Burns
32 Posted 04/06/2019 at 17:17:53
I haven't posted on TW for quite some time but Jamie this piece moved me so much I had to comment. A wonderful tribute to an obviously true friend. To you and JP, I will raise a tearful glass this evening during this hugely difficult time for you all.
Karl Masters
33 Posted 04/06/2019 at 20:52:12
All the things we wish we’d said and done when others were alive!

I guess this moving story is a reminder to us all to experience all life offers while we can. You just don’t know how long you or anyone else has on this planet.

Well done Jamie

Mike Andrews
34 Posted 04/06/2019 at 22:07:37
Jamie,

Whenever you write on here, you write with passion. Your memorial was massively moving. In this cruel world, losing people and facing losing people, is incredibly hard. All we can do is keep those people alive in our heads and our hearts, then they are never, truly, gone.

Thank you for this story of friendship, love and unity. I hope the reaction on here gives you some comfort and know that you have done a great thing for Steve and his family.

Peter Mills
35 Posted 04/06/2019 at 22:22:35
Jamie, I think you know that if you come over here to pay respects to your friend you will meet new friends.

Plan your journey, the rest will be taken care of.

Joe Clitherow
36 Posted 04/06/2019 at 22:44:46
Sorry to hear this Jamie. If you ever do get to come over to a game I'll meet up with you, promise
Peter Armstrong
37 Posted 05/06/2019 at 04:17:30
Jamie a fantastic tribute to someone I was very lucky to call friend. We went to school together from Woodlands Primary all the way through 6th form at Range High playing football together for school and club and having the most amazing time doing so. Like Steve I was one of the lucky ones to have been born with blue blood but it never felt that lucky in the 70's and early 80's!!!

I have to say it has been a very hard few days trying to actually grasp what has happened and being in New Zealand I do feel somewhat detached from the 'real' world anyway. To be honest simple words can't possibly bring comfort to all the members of his family but I too offer my deepest condolences, Ashy will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Jay Harris
38 Posted 05/06/2019 at 06:28:53
Jamie,
Condolences to you, Johnathan and all Steve's family.

Being a scouse Blue in Florida for the last15 years I wish I would have hooked up with you guys at some point. You sounded like you had great fun together and I'm sure Steve would have relished that and it leaves you with memories to savour.

Thank you for sharing that with us, you sum up all the best qualities of being a Blue.

Tony Dunn
39 Posted 05/06/2019 at 21:11:56
I 've just read your heartfelt tribute and al the thoughtful responses and I'm in bits,tears rolling down my face. Sincere condolences to Steves family and al whio knew him.I'm made up you got to meet a real scouser who probably bounced off you as much as your enthusiasm bounced off him. Get over here as soon as, you 'll get a great welcome. Don't leave things too late. I'm going home to Huyton this weekend to do my Dads garden I thought, . however a throwaway comment the other week about not letting time slip away, means we 're going to Wales to visit a farm where my 87 year old dad was evacuated to in Ww2. Enjoy life.
Keith Harrison
40 Posted 05/06/2019 at 21:53:05
Hi Jamie.

So sorry to hear of your good mate passing. When you do finally plan to get over here, contact Mike Gaynes for our details, and the lads will royally (blue) look after you. I hope you and the 5 boys are in rude health.

I'm burying an uncle tomorrow, but he had 30+ years on Steve, and had a good innings. Although a fanatical Rugby Union follower, and was President of his local club, he liked all sports, and actually came to Goodison with me a few years ago. He couldn't believe how cheap the food was in the chippy opposite the Walton taxi club, and how friendly us Blues were.

Take care blues everywhere, as the song goes "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think".

Hope to see you soon Jamie.

Jamie Crowley
41 Posted 06/06/2019 at 02:31:53
I'd like to again thank all of the people for the well-wishes.

A few, quick shouts -

Tony Abrahams - too kind. Class definitely. I appreciate your offer immensely.

Jonathon - I'll be seeing you soon.

Peter Armstrong - So cool to hear from a guy who grew up with Ash. It's amazing, the man's reach. Steve touched so many people who are literally all over the world. My best wishes to you. We both truly were very fortunate people to have been able to call Steve friend.

The Patron Saint of people who jump out of airplanes - I will hold you to your promise.

Everyone else - I listed all the kind and fine people who had the courtesy and decency to take some time to post, in my previous post. Suffice to say, I feel a bit of an ass not doing so again. However, be assured, I read them all multiple times and I so appreciate the kind words.

Steve's service is this Friday at 5:30 pm in St. Augustine, FL. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Mike Gaynes
42 Posted 06/06/2019 at 03:52:36
Keith, condolences on your loss as well, my friend. Best to Christine.

Ian, I have missed your posts. Hope all is well with you.

And Jamie, with ya, mate.

Tom Fazal
43 Posted 06/06/2019 at 03:56:16
Jamie,

The quality of your writing has always provoked thought, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but I always appreciate your contribution.

This one however, has deeply moved me. I am glad you are the 'Blue' you now are thanks to your friendship with Steve, but equally very sad at your loss of your friend.

Your words are often eloquent, mine are merely simple. I offer condolences to you and to Steve's family. I hope the depth of your friendship with him will help you through the days ahead.

Terry White
44 Posted 06/06/2019 at 15:55:01
As a fellow Floridian, I can think of worse places to leave this planet than St Augustine, Jamie. Condolences to all.
Keith Harrison
45 Posted 06/06/2019 at 19:17:27
All fine here thanks Mike G.

Been to the funeral today, and had to wear a red tie as my uncles' Rugby Club (Moresby) played in that colour. I actually borrowed a club tie off a workmate, so didn't have to buy something never to be worn again.

Our family went early to the crematorium, and caught the back end of the service before my uncles. "you'll never walk alone" belted out as we stood outside waiting for the previous set of mourners to leave. There is no escape!!

Enjoy the precious memories of your mate Jamie, and ensure he lives on in your heart.

Phil Greenough
46 Posted 08/06/2019 at 10:12:56
I'm sorry for your loss, Jamie, I'm sure your memories will comfort you in the hard months ahead.

PS. It's good to put a face to your name.

Andy Crooks
47 Posted 09/06/2019 at 00:58:23
Jamie, if you make it to Liverpool before Christmas, I will be over to meet you, whatever it takes. You have done your friend proud.
Paul Kelly
48 Posted 09/06/2019 at 02:07:57
Sorry to be so late to the thread.

A great read for all the wrong reasons, sorry for everyone's loss, family and friends.

Sounds like a great bloke and what a friendship too!

Your such a great contributer Jamie, always look forward to what you write. (Though I'll never forgive you for that 2 egg omelette you made)!

Erm, without offence to anyone else, when I hear of a fellow blue passing on (to that great 80s football dvd continuous replay with added bonus content of what could of been, if the ban never happened) well, that's how I imagine it anyway, in the sky, I'm moved, really, so sad, but reading this I'm moved a lot more!

Touching, funny and so sad (obviously) at the same time.

Get in touch with the boys, they'll look after yer, also let us know when your over, would love to meet up and witness your pilgrimage to the 'Old Lady', I also now reside in the big smoke (london, I guess that's where you'll fly into, and if you have time, hopefully meet up).

Once again, Jamie, JP, and all who knew Steve, sorry for your loss, really am.

Julian Exshaw
49 Posted 09/06/2019 at 16:25:25
A poignant and worthy tribute, Jamie,to your great mate. I am sure you miss him terribly. It just goes to show how our love for this great club unites all of us whatever our individual backgrounds are. My condolences to all who are devastated by his loss.
Tim Greeley
50 Posted 11/06/2019 at 02:31:05
All the best JC, sorry for all involved but getting the stories and memories out to be shared can be the most cathartic thing you can do.
Dave White
51 Posted 11/06/2019 at 10:17:58
Yeah, hilarious and heartbreaking this... I'm another one with tears on my face.

Friendships like that don't come along every day. For me, it's a reminder, if you're lucky enough to have a mate like this, for fucks sake tell them once in a while, you don't know when they'll be gone.

Terry Underwood
52 Posted 12/06/2019 at 09:56:07
An awfully young age to go. Much love to his family, and also to you for your great loss. I hope you can print a hard copy of these TW posts. I live on the south coast and, sadly, my mobility scooter can't get me to games, but, I will be thinking of your blue mate at KO next season. Once again best love to all Blues, wherever you may be
John Pierce
53 Posted 16/06/2019 at 05:41:03
JaC, somehow with the off season and a massively leaky roof that I’ve been getting sorted I missed this!

It’s just really sweet, honest and heartfelt. Nice one and your late mate couldn’t be prouder of those ‘werds’ in a sort of ToffeeWeb eulogizing ‘epitaphy’ thingy!

All the Best,

Jp

Jim Hardin
54 Posted 04/07/2019 at 19:44:38
Jamie,

I have just read this. I am literally holding back the tears at your post. What a wonderful story. I have been so busy in June that I have not checked into this site to actually read anything.

I feel a bit of an ass for posting this so late. My condolences to his family and my sympathy to you over the loss of a true friend.

Paul Tran
55 Posted 04/07/2019 at 19:52:44
A wonderful, heartfelt post, Jamie. Steve will be watching you, proud of his friend.