The Republic of Ireland Manager, Mick McCarthy is quoted as saying he has been told that Seamus Coleman will be out of action for 4 to 6 weeks.
Everton's woes with injuries continue to mount, the Irishman going down in the first half of the game against Manchester United on Sunday, and being replaced by Djibril Sidibé on after just 31 minutes.
The damage is reported to be a quadriceps muscle injury but the club so far have remained tightlipped about this latest blow to Everton's brief and now fading hopes of European qualification.
Reader Comments (16)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
1 Posted 04/03/2020 at 23:43:48
2 Posted 05/03/2020 at 01:34:40
3 Posted 05/03/2020 at 01:54:07
4 Posted 05/03/2020 at 03:05:22
5 Posted 05/03/2020 at 05:31:24
6 Posted 05/03/2020 at 06:06:36
Jonjoe Kenny for right-back next season. And maybe a move for Aarons from Norwich too, or someone else Brands finds. And have them battle each other for the place.
7 Posted 05/03/2020 at 08:40:38
We need a top right-back in the summer, Sidibe is an absolute nightmare defensively and he's slowly gone downhill since that FA Cup derby embarrassment.
Kenny won't come back, in my opinion, he's a steady enough defender but he's not a player than propels a team to challenge the top four.
8 Posted 05/03/2020 at 08:51:36
Just out of interest, were you saying the same about Seamus Coleman when he was Kennys age?
9 Posted 05/03/2020 at 09:21:22
Perhaps I was but having said that also, Coleman has never been quite good enough even at his peak to play in a team that could have pushed for the Champions League either.
Seamus was fantastic going forward under Moyes and in Martinez early seasons (maybe his crossing had been the weakness thats never improved).
Kenny has a long way to go before he even reaches Colemans early years however and going forward I havent really been convinced in the Premier League by him.
Id have Kenny as back up next season.
10 Posted 05/03/2020 at 12:31:04
In my opinion Coleman since his return from Blackpool is champions League class.
As players mature injuries curtail elements of their game. Arteta was never the dashing winger he once was and people seemed happy for him to leave. Wenger played him holding centre mid for 5 years and he looked a quality player.
Peter Reid and Andy Gray where already crocks and past their sell by date before we got them. Managed properly we had 2 top quality players busting a gut every game.
Coleman proved against Palace that he is still a player and a valuable asset at the club. If managed properly he could be used similar to Baines but at present he is the best we have.
11 Posted 05/03/2020 at 12:42:44
He's 23 next week. At that that age, Seamus was doing his 90-minutes of wind sprints, scoring and assisting. Even had his "60 Grand, 60 Grand" chant.
Let's hope Jonjoe can replicate some of that next season.
12 Posted 05/03/2020 at 17:05:12
13 Posted 05/03/2020 at 17:52:04
14 Posted 05/03/2020 at 18:04:36
I think Seamus and Baines will both stay as cover next season, but – if that's the case – the 'first-choice' full-backs both need to be *quality*. I'd love it to be Jonjoe Kenny, but I've not seen enough of him this season, tbh. Maybe allow him another season at Schalke with an option to recall in January if any new guy is not working out.
15 Posted 05/03/2020 at 19:26:40
16 Posted 05/03/2020 at 19:36:19
Now we're stuck with Tosun, Gbamin, Bolasie to name a few. Players who lose value by the day. I say, cut them loose. No more sentimentality. This is Everton Football Club — not bloody Emergency Ward 10!!!
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.