The Mail Bag

Delay The Vote

Comments (7)

Every day I absorb the arguments from both sides of the vote. I have ranted at people on both sides, I have cringed at the insults that have flown around and on one occasion, I am sorry to admit I found myself insulting some of my fellow fans. For that I apologise. I have considered voting both ways at some point since the debate started and to be honest I cannot pledge my support 100% to either camp. Too many questions remain unanswered:

  1. Will a No vote mean a definite end to Kirkby?
  2. Will a Yes vote mean that Everton will relocate to Kirkby regardless of other alternatives?
These are the first two questions that need answering. My heart wants to know whether a move to Everton is a real possibility before my head votes for Kirkby. I don't care about opinions on this I want facts ? and we can't get all of the facts before the deadline.

Herein lies my dilemma. Without my two questions being answered I cannot vote. What if I vote for Kirkby and then find out that the Loop would have been deliverable at no extra cost, or I vote against Kirkby and find the Loop is just a pipedream? So what is the solution? The club needs to delay the vote. We need to pressure the board into doing this so that we, as fans, can gather facts and make an informed decision.

Many people have said that this vote needs to be made with the head and not the heart (mainly yes voters). Well, give me time to gather the facts and I will vote with my head. Without time we are all voting with our hearts becasuse neither side has produced a watertight argument for my vote.

Again we need to call for a postponement of the vote in order to make an informed decision about the future of our club. Everton is the People's Club and we are ALL the people.
Steve Pugh, Norfolk     Posted 17/08/2007 at 09:51:19

back Return to the Mail Bag

Comments

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer


philip mcavoy
1   Posted 17/08/2007 at 14:06:21

1. YES that has come from keith wyness
2. NO contracts would need to be agreed, but there is no exclusivity deal in place so other options could be heard before contracts signed
Danny Mullally
2   Posted 17/08/2007 at 14:12:41

For anybody not to have voted yet, they must be the most indecisive people I have ever known!
Surely the volume of arguments, facts, figures, permutations and conundrums posed from either side must have swayed the undecideds one way or another!
Friggin hell!!
The last thing any of us need at the monet is more questions!
Roll on the result!!!
Dan Mckie
3   Posted 17/08/2007 at 14:11:33

A ’yes’ vote for Kirkby means that negotiations can continue with the project,however that does suggest that if this were the case then there would be no reason that anyone with an alternative could not still state their case! If the 2 deals were financially similar then I see no reason why BK wouldnt chose the alternative! A ’no’ vote puts us in the hands of the gods,or even worse, LCC !!
colin
4   Posted 17/08/2007 at 15:47:32

If the vote is no,Everton should look at the plans for the loop and if they really don’t prove viable(or any other options),one little shout to tesco’s,they will be back to Everton quicker than a rabbit having a bit of nooky, because it will make them millions!They need Everton badly,otherwise they are knackered.
Steve Williams
5   Posted 17/08/2007 at 17:05:09

Objectively, the only way I can see to force a proper, open, informed debate is to vote NO.

Don?t let anyone tell you that a NO vote would kill Kirkby - no business would do that if the argument had genuine merit - the Board would then try to persuade everyone to change their minds by giving some detailed useful information rather than issuing propaganda and scare-mongering.

It?s just that at present there are too many unknowns (in all of the options) for anyone to make a reliable, informed decision on something this momentus.
Steve Pugh
6   Posted 17/08/2007 at 19:34:39

Hmmm! A split decision. My gut says that Steve and Colin are right, Kirkby will stay regardless, but if they have the fans support Kirkby is a shoe in and the board will ignore everything else.

A No it must be.

By the way Danny there have been many emotion based arguments but not enough supporting facts. Remember figures can be interpreted to say anything you want them to.
Robin Cannon
7   Posted 17/08/2007 at 20:13:23

I tend to think the opposite of Steve Pugh. A no vote kills Kirkby as an option completely (certainly the £4bn business that is Tesco in no way "needs Everton badly"), whereas a yes vote *technically* allows for consultation on Kirkby and other alternatives. But I have no great faith that other alternatives would be considered.

This is my problem with a no vote, that neither Everton (through no great desire) or any of the anti-Kirkby campaigners have demonstrated any kind of detailed alternative beyond a "this would be good". Definitely there’s nothing that has any degree of certainty to it as an alternative option.

So I don’t want to vote no because Kirkby needs to continue to be considered, and a no vote kills that dead. But I don’t want to vote "yes" and wipe out any prospect of finding out about realistic and legitimate alternative sites that are more attractive.

If that makes me indecisive then so be it, but so far as I can see either vote closes off options that we might want or need to explore.

© ToffeeWeb