Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Phil Jagielka

Just wanted to make a quick comment on Jags.

I've noticed a lot of positive letters in recent days about our displays against Larissa and Derby — with most people attributing the change in fortunes to the return of Timmy C to the midfield.

I totally agree that his running, positional sense and eye for goal give us another dimension, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is Phil Jagielka's contribution from right back.

Is it just me, or was Jags an absolute revelation overlapping and crossing down the right against Derby? He has copped a lot of stick since he signed, as people have considered his midfield performances less than acceptable, but I think with him down the right supporting Mikky and Baines down the left supporting Pienaar/Ossie we have very strong flanks for the first time in ages.

Combine this with Timmy C in the middle next to an anchorman (Cars, or even Neville) and add in a couple of good strikers (take your pick from 5) and we suddenly look dangerous.

Let's hope the strain of 4 games in just over a week doesn't prevent the boys from blowing Birmingham away this weekend!
Zac Stephenson, London     Posted 01/11/2007 at 17:18:31

Comments

colin potter
1   Posted 01/11/2007 at 19:26:34

If clueless Moyes would have played him right back from the start, he wouldn’t have had the criticism he has had to put up with!
Blue Shaun Cook
2   Posted 01/11/2007 at 20:29:09

I was at the Luton game last night and to be fair he was average at best. His distribution was piss poor not helped by Neville and his complete lack of movement. Cahill is a man of steel and Vaughan I think could be amazing if he stays injury free
Gavin Harris
3   Posted 01/11/2007 at 20:48:24

"clueless Moyes"

I would hardly call Moyes clueless, the guy has transformed the club since he came over five years ago. I need to look at yourself I think.
lee armer
4   Posted 01/11/2007 at 22:00:15

clueless moyse
listen colin potter stay away from our team we dont want fans like u there, seriously. Dont you remember the smith days and walker days. This man has brought me and the club more pride back since howard kendall.
lee armer
5   Posted 01/11/2007 at 22:03:33

oh and i a,gree the jags will come good and be an important squad player, but he can play centre mid well and won sheff utd player of the season playing there and right back
Chris Rowell
6   Posted 01/11/2007 at 23:02:32

I agree Jagielka is best at right back. He has looked far better in that position in recent games. I also think that this is where neville is best deployed. With three plus options in this position rotation will happen in coming games. The problem is often trying to accomodate our captain. He is not good enough to hold down the central holding midfield position and with no guarantees for him at right back his position and capaincy should be questionned. However I feel he is a Moyes favourite and because of this captaincy and his ’good pro’ reputation, Moyes will not drop him. I feel the midfield looked far better against Derby without him.
Dave Roberts
7   Posted 01/11/2007 at 23:58:56

Everton....’dangerous’....jeez!
Erin Kane
8   Posted 02/11/2007 at 12:06:39

I was quietly expectant when he came from Sheffield United, he was proved to be one of the best midfielders in the Championship.

Unfortunately, the step up to the big league is a different story and while he has remained consistent there has been to many off days from him. I was there in person on wednesday night and at times it looked like he was in a different game.

Also Phil Neville has stated as saying that he has contemplated on numerous occasions quitting the national side. If only he had the same sentiments at domestic level.
Andy Ellams
9   Posted 02/11/2007 at 16:08:21

FFS, for once and for all. Jagielka has not made a step up into the Premiership this season, he played every single minute of every game for Sheff Utd last season. I know they went down but they were still playing in the Premiership.