Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Mr Kenwright on MOTD 2

The appearance by our chairman on Match of the Day was cringeworthy in some ways but at least we have an owner who appreciates the history of Everton FC.

Why oh why then did he have to make the comment about the proposed new stadium being just outside Liverpool? That has left us all open to an additional tirade of abuse, I got texts immediately from those on the dark side who enjoyed what they saw.

I know it shouldn't bother me, but it did and whatever the rights and wrongs of the debate, they will always be quoting what our chairman said on Match of the Day tonight. Bad enough that others are out to get us, but when we shoot ourselves in the foot like that...

Thanks, Bill.
Conor  Feeney, Dublin, Ireland     Posted 04/11/2007 at 23:05:36

Comments

Michael Kenrick
That has to be the most ridiculous post... We all know Kirkby is not in Liverpool ? it is indeed "just outside Liverpool". Fact. (Look on the map.)

How does Bill Kenwright making that statement actually change anything? Apart from it being one of those rare occasions when what he says is factually accurate? So the one time he actually tells the truth... and you call it "shooting ourselves in the foot"?!?!

I despair at times... I really do.

sean
1   Posted 05/11/2007 at 08:13:18

why do fans seem to keep on moaning about the stadium ’debate’? its not even a debate. we ARE moving to kirkby and regardless of whether we should or shouldnt move there im still going to watch the Blues. its times like this you find out who were born Blue and who were not.
Chris Brown
2   Posted 05/11/2007 at 09:29:16

I don’t think it was cringeworthy at all. I thought the whole piece portrayed Everton and all associated with this great club in a very positive light. "You can leave Everton but it never leaves you"
COYB
Michael Newton
3   Posted 05/11/2007 at 09:39:38

Kenwright was asked a straight question and gave a straight answer so why the posting. I am no Kenwright fan but I thought it was good publicity for the club and showed how much we love our old players.
RS can text you all you want mate but as the RS draw the support from outside of the Greater Liverpool Area, ie places like Devon and Cornwall I cant be arsed what they think
Emil
4   Posted 05/11/2007 at 10:24:55

I knew someone would somehow have something negative to say about Bill on MOTD.
He showed himself as a passionate, supporter and someone who cares and personally knew the teams history. I think most supporters of other clubs who watched it, would have admired such traits in a chairman, as should we.

Those RS will see who laughs last, when they are out of Europe and out of the title chase by December AND all this with rich US owners. So get your fingers at the ready!

We won 3-1 in our usual spectacular fashion, lets have some positve responses, not you boremongers harping on about daft city boundaries.
Alan Kirwin
5   Posted 05/11/2007 at 10:28:06

I despair sometimes at the negativity of some of these postings. Do you people ever simply get on with life, or are your glasses just permanently half-empty and somebody needs to be blamed?

Kenwright fan or not, what he said was a) correct, b) innocuous and c) an answer to a direct question. Give the guy a break and please, rather than post moronic content-free observations, go out for a pint, read a book or take some other action in order to actually get yourself a life.

The guy isn’t perfect (are you?) but he’s an Evertonian to his core. I’d also personally Take Bill Kenwright and our parlous finances than Abramovic’s trillions and all the entourage & bile that goes with it; anyday.

Unbelievable.
Neil McKinney
6   Posted 05/11/2007 at 10:32:40

I think the comments above say it all. Following Desailly’s naive comments on Saturday night’s MOTD it was nice to see our club shown in a better light.

Say what you like about Kenwright, but you could see the excitement on his face and the joy when we won. I am happy for people to question BK’s business acumen and whether he can progress this club any further, but you cannot question his love for all things Everton.

Sorry Conor, but if this is the kind of crap you worry about then you must spend most of your time worried sick!

Rise above the petty teasing because if you are as proud a blue as BK then it shouldn’t matter.
Neil Pearse
7   Posted 05/11/2007 at 11:33:06

Well, I for one was proud and happy to see our club represented by Bill last night. He may be a bit of an arty-fartsy, but he is a fan and clearly a full paid up member of the human race. And that puts him way ahead of the weirdos and carpetbaggers who run most of the clubs we compete against in the Premiership. On Kirkby he answered a straight question with a straight answer. If the Shite prefer the two Bush Fascists who run their club, that’s up to them.
John Stanley
8   Posted 05/11/2007 at 11:31:28

I thought Bill showed himself in a terrific light on MOTD2. His enthusiasm and passion (not to mention knowledge and respect of our glorious history) showed what it’s like to be a proud blue. Say what you like about him and so many do but as someone mentioned earlier this guy is EFC to his very heart. As for his comments about the stadium I find it incredible that he could be criticised for essentially telling it like it is - being honest. I wonder if the same people that criticize him for that are the same people who accuse him of spin and bullshit? Give the guy a break or at the very least be consistent in your criticism. COYB
Chris Masey
9   Posted 05/11/2007 at 12:15:14

As a dedicated MOTD watcher, this report made me realise how special our club really is. The way Bill interacts with the people at the Club, like one big family, and his respect for Goodison and its history. I am not Bill’s biggest fan, but I completely believe he is Everton through and through, and this was the best MOTD report from that guy that does it every week. No other clubs got a section like us, and it only boosts the profile of our club, not harms it.
I am guilty of being negative on this site, but I loved the attention. Great to have some coverage at last, especially on a game I experienced from my seat in the Gwaldys Street. And how good was Tony Gubba’s quote on the MOTD "this is turning into a great season for Everton" I am certainly not arguing, we are palying some exhilerating football!! Long may it continue!!
Mark Stone
10   Posted 05/11/2007 at 12:22:53

What did he say I never saw it?
Tris Allerton
11   Posted 05/11/2007 at 12:21:32

To Michael Newton:
"RS draw the support from outside of the Greater Liverpool Area, ie places like Devon and Cornwall I cant be arsed what they think "
I find that quite insulting as I’m from Cornwall and there are alot of us blues down here so if we could do without comments like that I’d be grateful thank you very much!
Sam Morrison
12   Posted 05/11/2007 at 12:56:53

Mark Stone - the piece just basically followed Bill on matchday as he welcomed some old players and saw the game etc. At one point he was asked about moving outside the city and he said (I?m recalling now so not word perfect) "Yes, it?s just outside the city". And kind of winced as he said it as if to imply it was a shame.

Personally I found him to be a bit gushy but that?s just what he?s like, he?s a thesp isn?t he? I didn?t see what merited the cynicism above.
Dave Griffin
13   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:11:51

Why is anyone bothered about what the lowlife on the other side of the park think or say? I thought "we don?t care what the redshite say"?
Michael Newton
14   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:11:10

Tris i cannot see anywhere in my statement I insulted Cornwall. My statement was based on the insults at the Derby we got from RS about us moving to Kirkby and they would be the only team in the city. As they draw alot of their support from miles away, Ireland, Norway, West Country etc this was rather hypocritical of them so I dont care what they think.
I am pleased you support Everton and anyone else in Cornwall does, but I apologise if you thought i insulted you.
Lee Spargo
15   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:12:22

Watched MOTD2 last night. Was smiling during the Kenwright bit. I think he’s ace.
Tris Allerton
16   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:14:43

Thanks for that!
Tim Keen
17   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:17:11

Bill is a very likeable man and I don’t for a second doubt he loves being chairman of Everton.

However the whole thing was bizarre, he was saying "this is the Boy’s Pen" as usual, meeting all the legends etc

The reporter then says that "the Evertonian family isn’t all happy" and Bill cringes ashamedly then waffles about it being a business decision and being outside the city and if only he could move the boundary.

He then finished by saying Goodison is the most beautiful place in the world - THEN WHY MOVE US TO ANOTHER TOWN THEN!!!!!

New Park End gives us a 52k capacity stadium. Fix the toilets, remove the worst 2000 resticted views and install new catering points and toilets in their place and we have a 50k seater Goodison and everyone is a winner (apart from those on a promise from Tesco)
Conor Feeney
18   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:19:29

I’m glad to see that Mr. Kenright is well supported here. Indeed, in my defence, I had already dealt with all RS texts when received in the manner outlined above - i.e. at least we had a chairman who genuinely appreciates the history of his club etc etc. That shut most of them up.

In restrospect I was a bit hard on the man. I suppose he should be applauded for his honesty in this piece, pity he couldn’t be consistently so about important club matters.

And of course most of the posters above are right, we shouldn’t care what the RS say and most of the time I don’t - it must’ve been a weak moment when my cycicism got the better of me.

By the way Mr. Editor, I’m not sure it deserves the accolade of the MOST ridiculous post though the responses suggest it may be close !

Gerard Madden
19   Posted 05/11/2007 at 13:25:28

Good to see his mates Duncan Mackenzie and Dave Hickson in fine fettle - and good to see him signing autographs for the fans at the gate.

He’s a good passionate blue with our clubs very best interests at heart - just look at the RS - about to be put in £700m of debt by a couple of non-supporters from yankland - I couldn’t be happier with the way things currently are on and off the pitch for the club. :)
Neil McKinney
20   Posted 05/11/2007 at 14:14:31

Tim Keen - I do not want to turn this thread into a debate about the stadiumas it really annoys me when people do that, but if you are going to have a go at BK for moving stadium then at least make some good argument.

"New Park End gives us a 52k capacity stadium. Fix the toilets, remove the worst 2000 resticted views and install new catering points and toilets in their place and we have a 50k seater Goodison and everyone is a winner"

Have you been in the Bullens? I sat there on Saturday for the first time and I was less than impressed. I have cuts on my shins from the back of the seat in front, restricted view from pillars and the TV gantry, and the concourse is a joke. I felt like I’d gone back in time.

Remove the 2000 restricted views and replace them with catering points and toilets? Yeh, just lift them out and drop in the toilets etc. Come on.

Maybe redevelopment is an option, but if it was as easy as you claim, it would have been done by now. Keep your stadium arguments for a different thread.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 06/11/2007 at 23:44:49

If redeveloping your stadium is such a bad thing why did Newcastle and Man Utd do it very successfully to name just two and Spurs about to?

Gerard please ask Ian Ross for a new line the "on and off the pitch" one has worn thin.