Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Pienaar & The Yak

After an inconspicuous start to the season these two seem to be really coming on and giving the team that extra bit of quality.

At the start of the season Pienaar looked like another lightweight Osman-style midfielder that was too weak to cut it in the Prem. I'm not knocking Ossie, but Pienaar seems to have adjusted to the physical side and is showing real class with his touch, passing and ability to beat players with a trick. I hope we get signed up as soon as poss.

The goals are starting to come for the Yak and believe he will justify his price tag and hit double figures by by the end of the season. As was continually pointed out on this site, his prem scoring record is second to only one exceptional striker. As long as he's happy at Everton he will do the business.
Jon Berry, Bath     Posted 05/11/2007 at 14:04:19

Comments

Michael Kenrick
I was really impressed with what I saw of Pienaar. His movement, intelligence, ball control, first touch. unselfishness... a pure pleasure to watch. Sign him up!
Fay Grantos
1   Posted 05/11/2007 at 14:47:38

I have always had faith that both players would come good. It was simply a case of them adapting to Everton and Everton adapting to them. They are finding their feet and I only see positive things for them both. Pienaar should be signed up immediatley
Chad Schofield
2   Posted 05/11/2007 at 14:52:00

Completely agree.
I was really excited when I saw the You Tube thing on Pienaar, and am so pleased to see him growing in confidence now he's with us. The guy?s class and can produce those beautiful Bergkamp-esque balls into strikers that defenders hate. He wants to make the move permanent, so let?s not wait around on this one.
Again the Yak will hopefully continue, and fantastic to see Vaughan back in too!!!
Anto Doran
3   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:02:09

I am a happy Evertonian at the moment but lets not get carried away until these players prove themselves that they can play at Everton against stronger sides and produce the goods.Our last games, Brummy, Luton, Derby, Larissa, ALL games we expect to win and it is good we have BUT lets not get carried away
Allan Hobbs
4   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:35:32

We’ve just won 4 games on the spin for the first time in 14 years, lets get carried away!
Ricardo Humphries
5   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:33:32

Pienaar is pure class, that’s why he was name in the Champions league Team of the season 04/05. I’m South African and I’ve watched him since his Ajax Cape Town (satelite club of Ajax Amsterdam). The boy just need some more game time to get him going. Why was left warmin g the bench few weeks back against Liverpool still boggles my mind, but better days are coming for us! My concern is the African Nations Cup in Angola next year. Pienaar and Yak are really starting to show class that we need to depend on come 2 round and we can’t afford to loose these two players to South Africa and Nigeria! I"m a huge Bafana fan, but would rather love to see Pienaar him in one of our blue shirts! Yobo is another player we can’t afford to loose, Is there a solution to this mess?
Allan Hobbs
6   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:43:45

Yes, steal their passports.

Or buy Riquelme.

And Kaka.
Ricardo Humphries
7   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:59:16

Very funny Allan ,but that’s not an option! Why AFCON takes place from Jan to Fb still doesn’t add up to me.
clive thomas
8   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:57:42

Please moyes, dont let piennar slip through the net like fernandes Sign him in january!!
Darren White
9   Posted 05/11/2007 at 15:15:04

I?m really enjoying the current performances; we?ve got quality throughout the side now and it feels great to finally outplay the poorer Prem sides. It?s only a matter of time before the confidence grows and we thump someone 4 or 5 nil.

IF our best eleven avoid injury I?m sure they have the ability to finish fifth, or even higher given the RS?s form.

HOWEVER our squad still lacks quality in depth, and we rely heavily on key players. I hope we don?t suffer any more injuries to our best eleven, especially one of Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Carsley or Yobo.

COYB lets win trophy or two this season!
Keith Harrison
10   Posted 05/11/2007 at 16:58:45

Allan,
Nice to see you’re back mate. Pienaar is class, and YAk is out of favour with Bertie Vogts, so he might not be going anyway. Here’s hoping.
Going to Nuremberg Allan ?????-
Allan Hobbs
11   Posted 05/11/2007 at 17:15:01

I’m not actually Keith, but I am spending some of December and some of January in Hungary with the missus. You?
Jon Brown
12   Posted 05/11/2007 at 17:38:59

Pienaar looks good, but I’m worried about his positional play. Against Metalisk he refused to get his boots white and stay on the left, meaning we had a really narrow midfield. Bainsey kept bollocking him for it but he wouldn’t listen. He has good feet though, and a good instinct for a killer pass. Forwards are there to score goals, Yak will convert every other chance he gets. Possibly get Vic away on a loan deal after the African Nations to get him some match time because playing one up front will severly limit his playing time with Vaughny, Fads and AJ all arguably ahead of him in the queue
Connor Rohrer
13   Posted 05/11/2007 at 18:32:03

Jon Brown, Pienaar is not a natural out and out winger and will come inside as does Arteta. Against Metalist Kharkiv he was one of our best players on the pitch and he spent the majority of the game in the middle of the park and Baines wasn’t playing so I dont know where you got that from.

Anichebe is needed for me and I would have him over Faddy every time. He offers our team something we dont get from any of the other strikers and that is height and a battering ram. McFadden for me is far to inconsistent and to unpredictable and the difference between him and Vic id one is 19 and one is nearly 25.
Paul Kellett
14   Posted 05/11/2007 at 18:58:05

Remember ...who needs Cantona when we’ve got Barry Horne.... well after some consistant performances from the young South African lad I reckon we might be chanting :
"WHO NEEDS STEVIE G WHEN WE’VE GOT STEVIE P !"
Jon Brown
15   Posted 05/11/2007 at 22:05:27

I meant Larissa, sorry. But when a player is given a position he should stick to it. We didn’t play great against Larissa, as has been made out, more like great in spells. We played better when he stuck to the wing as was suggested. However when he came inside it was too congested in the centre. I’m not saying he is a bad player, not at all. Just that when given that job he should do it. Although it is nice to see someone playing good balls again in a blue shirt
David Barks
16   Posted 05/11/2007 at 23:36:28

Pienaar has been playing very well. He’s very good on the ball, has shown some good skill with his passing and back heels. I’m very pleased with how he’s coming along and think he could be one we get a lot of enjoyment from over many years. Yakubu is also starting to look better and better. He gets himself into open spaces behind the defense, much better than AJ or McFadden do. He just seems to know how to be in the right place at the right time. But the whole team is playing better, more confident, and seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves and eachother. I watched all the interviews with Neville, Carsley, and Vaughan after the Birmingham game on Everton TV and they’re all joking around with each other, Carsley was making jokes about Yakubu’s price tag. You can tell they really get along well and that can only be good fro the rest of the season. We’ll miss Pienaar during the African Cup, but every team will be missing players because of that tournament. I wonder if Pompey will even be able to field a team at all. Nugent will be lone striker I reckon.
Connor Rohrer
17   Posted 06/11/2007 at 00:52:01

Jon, Pienaar came inside alot at Larisa AE and pretty much will do every game. Its his game and the way he plays. We dont play with wingers so our midfield is usually congested and packed tight. Its not a problem its just a different brand of football. Arsenal do the exact same thing with Hleb and Rosicky. I’m not saying Moyes is Arsene Wenger by any means but he is using a similar sort of style by using natural central players out wide. We do it with Arteta, Osman and Pienaar whereas they do it with Hleb, Diaby and Rosicky. I see where your coming from but I dont agree that he is not doing his "job". The fact that he is right footed also has alot to do with his coming inside instead of playing on the touch line.

On Pienaar he’s probably turned out better than I thought he would. Is he better than Fernandes? Probably not but.......he definatly has qualities that wipe all over Fernandes. He could be very useful to us and lets hope South Africa get knocked out early so he can come home.
Paul McMullan
18   Posted 06/11/2007 at 09:39:58

It’s no coincidence that both these players have flourished since Cahill has come back into the team. When we play with five in midfield we are more flexible and play the ball along the ground and put quality ball into the box.

In the home leg against Metallist Yak spent the whole first half chasing balls into the channel are trying to control passes rifled into his feet by the defence. He didn’t earn his price-tag by running about like a blue-arsed fly after hopeful long balls.

He is a selfish goalscorer who operates best when he is in prime position to score. If you watch his goals against Bolton and Brum he makes sure he is onside and puts himself in a position were his team-mate can thread the ball through without it being cut out.

He is a natural poacher. I hope the fans remember that when he can’t be bothered to chase down a hopeless punt forward. Let other players do that for him and let the Yak do what he does best.
Laurie Hartley
19   Posted 06/11/2007 at 10:32:21

I was concerned about the size of our best midfield players then I remembered who were our best midfield ever - Ball, Harvey & Kendall (I had the priveledge of watching them play together). Piennar, Cahill & Arteta (In order of similarity) are all terrific footballers. I really like the look of Piennar - I think he is something special. All they need is a minder and Carsley is the man until we find his replacement. Can we forgive Manny?
. Good times are just around the corner. Come on the Bluuuues.
Jimmy Hoffa
20   Posted 06/11/2007 at 11:58:33

I am just dissapointed with McFadden’s inconsistency.

I was hoping the man would be the next Greame Sharpe.

I still remember the Anfield goal 1984-85 season. All true Evertonians will never forget that goal.

I am hoping McFadden can repeat that feat.

rob jones
21   Posted 06/11/2007 at 13:26:42

good god is that positivity, delete this post at once Micheal K, we cant be positive its illegal in the toffeeweb rulebook.

we need more mailbag posts like this one
Stuart Rickards
22   Posted 06/11/2007 at 13:47:24

Having seen Pienaar regularly last season for Borussia Dortmund (I live in Dortmund) I have to say I was amazed when he went to Everton and am even more amazed that he appears to be settling in well in the Everton midfield he was what can only be described as a waste of space at Dortmund. It just goes to show what a change of scenery and a bit of a confidence boost can do to what is without question a talented footballer. Lets hope he continues to prove my workmates (all Dortmund fans) wrong by delivering the goods for our beloved blueboys.