Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Buyers not Sellers

Personally I am delighted that AJ has signed a new deal on two levels. The obvious one, is that I think he is a great player who adds greatly to the team with his goals and his all round contribution.

The perhaps less obvious level, is that it cements in my mind Everton as no longer a "selling" club. I remember Craig Short saying that Everton being such a Club had been part of his decision to leave. John Collins too had the same view, but was more vociferous about it. It was an outward sign of the many problems we had in the 90's and I hated the label and all it implied.

Everton were under no pressure to alter AJ's contract, as he was only in the second year of the previous five year deal. So it's great that they have nipped unsettling rumours in the bud well before January and added AJ's name to an increasingly long list of quality players committing themselves to a Club they clearly see as going places.

Without wishing to get too ahead of myself, I think (and hope) that we are now entering a phase of incrementally increasing the quality of the squad with astute purchases. It would be nice to see this continue in January, especially if we are well placed in both cups and the League: but I certainly expect more spending next Summer.

Lescott and Yobo next up for new deals I reckon.......
Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 06/11/2007 at 13:31:02

Comments

Anto Doran
1   Posted 06/11/2007 at 14:50:48

well pleased also :) the only time we need to sell now is to dump the rubbish! Does anyone know in terms of contract what did AJ get, weekly wage etc?? it is good we have extended his contract but there is also the question of whether doing it so early while he has a significant amount of time left on his previous one is wise business? im sure he will prduce but what if not?
Dan Sedlak
2   Posted 06/11/2007 at 14:56:55

Incremental improvement is the key. What is now apparent and possibly the crucial factor in getting in real world class players is that say a £15m player will no longer cost £15m.

In the past if we had signed say Torres (bear with me) we might have let say chadwick go for £500k. Now if we sign such a player we can move on McFadden or even AJ for £5-10m - the incremental cost is far less.
Mark Hill
3   Posted 06/11/2007 at 15:12:20

I too am very happy that AJ has signed, it confirms to many that Everton aren’t a selling club. A tag i am happy to see the back of. I can’t understand the abuse or negative comments that AJ recieves.

He works his socks off, does score his fair share of goals from the chances that are created.

I think the tactics employed by Everton are perhaps one of the reasons why he doesn’t score more, and that is down to the manager, not AJ. Under Moyes Everton have never scored buckets of goals. I am not saying Everton play negatively, more a safety first kind of approach, which you can’t argue does produce results good enough to get us to the top 5.

I mean i ask you, if AJ were playing for one of our rivals would you be happy, he is pacey works hard causes immense problems, if he’s got good support it would be a nightmare.

Lets not forget the only reason Wenger didn’t sign him was because the amount of money Palace were asking. If that isn’t an endorsement of his quality I don’t know what is.

So I for one am ecstatic!!
Phil Jones
4   Posted 06/11/2007 at 15:10:15

With all the talk of West Ham sniffing around for AJ’s signature, it’s no surprise he was offered another contract. I seem to also remember an article posted in Sky Sports about a month or more ago where AJ wanted to stay at Goodison indefinately, so maybe the two together prompted the signature. I’m a relatively new fan (2002), but I don’t remember there ever being a selection headache up front before. AJ, the Yak, Victor, McFadden, and now Vaughnsey back... when have we had this problem?! Kind of nice for a change...

I wonder where this puts us financially in January though. I know Moyes is already hinting at loan deals (big surprise there). We need a defensive midfielder. Cars is getting long in the tooth, maybe good for another season, but then after that he’s going to have to step aside. Jags is just not playing well in midfield, and Nev really ought to be at right back. Any thoguhts?
David Barks
5   Posted 06/11/2007 at 15:28:09

I’m made up with the direction the club is going at the moment. Just look at the players we have signed to contracts over the past year: First, 5 year extensions to Cahill, Arteta, AJ. 4 year deals for Vaughan and Anichebe. Summer signings of Baines, Yakubu, Jagielka, Wessels (have to have a quality back up keeper), and Gravesen who looks like he will be a very useful player to come off the bench and control the ball and set up late goals with his passing. And you know that Lescott will be the next to be offered an extension, and with Pienaar’s performances he will be signed permanently. There are still aspects I’m not too happy about, but the team that they have assembled and continue to lock down is very promising. But we must get another quality, skillful on the ball central midfielder. It’s looking good boys, very very good.
Pat Mustard
6   Posted 06/11/2007 at 15:36:24

I think Moyes is making sure he has plenty of cover up front as I think he will cash in on McFadden at Christmas. That will give more opportunity for Victor and Vaughan to get a game. I for one would be happy to see any cash raised from McFadden going on a midfield play maker.

I like McFadden and I like his attitude but he just doesn’t seem to do it for Everton. I’d like to see him succeed but I think it will be elsewhere.
David Barks
7   Posted 06/11/2007 at 15:48:23

I too think McFadden will be cashed in on in January or maybe the end of the year, but most likely January. His Scotland exploits should get us a descent price for him. With AJ, Yakubu, Vaughan, and Victor all signed to long term extensions McFadden does seem to be the odd man out. If we could get a good price for him and combine that with the money we had ready for Fernandes we should be able to get a very good midfielder.
jez jones
8   Posted 06/11/2007 at 16:25:36

why the need to sign a new contract? what was wrong with the one he had that he signed last year....could this explain why he was not firing on all cylinders ie had his nose put out of joint due to Arteta’s and Cahills pay rises.....hmmmm - odd one that for me....
antony matthews
9   Posted 06/11/2007 at 16:22:55

Didnt we try to sign a defensive midfielder in the last transfer window on a free? A Swiss international called Vogel. Maybe Moysey will go back in for him !
David Barks
10   Posted 06/11/2007 at 16:28:15

Or maybe his form suffered because Cahill was out injured, Arteta missed a few games, Vaughan was out injured, Gravesen was out injured. Perhaps that had something to do with his lack of goals to start the season, or perhaps it was that he needed to have another surgery on his ankle. He was putting out just as much effort as ever and was getting plenty of opportunities in front of goal, but too often it was either cleared off the line or hit right at the keeper.
Brian Waring
11   Posted 06/11/2007 at 16:40:50

It’s great that the quality players we do have at the club have signed new contracts.But we all know that in this day and age of football,contracts aren’t worth the paper they are written on.On the other-hand though,it is encouraging that the quality players we do have are happy to see their futures with us.
Karl Masters
12   Posted 06/11/2007 at 16:47:53

McFadden signed a contract extension in the Summer of 2006 so he’s not the odd man out.

Whilst it’s great to see our best players tied down, I suspect it has a lot to do with stopping them leaving a year before the end of their contracts for vastly reduced fees, as was going to happen with Rooney until Newcastle ruined Manure’s plan.

They are earning big money, some of them on more than the Riise payslip that’s for sure, so let’s see some big performances startin this week with 2 difficult away games! COYBB!
Peter Traynor
13   Posted 06/11/2007 at 17:30:05

So yet another moneygrabber fills his boots! How naive so many Evertonians are.Johnson demanded more money else he was off back to London.Now we shall still sell him but be able to demand a higher fee based on his now massive wage packet. All in all,he’s a non scoring flop whose conned Kenwright & Co with his ’pay up or I’m off ’demands.
David Barks
14   Posted 06/11/2007 at 17:46:17

Is that what happened Peter. I didn’t know you were part of Everton FC and involved in the negotiations. So I guess Arteta and Cahill are also moneygrabbers, and Victor and Vaughan, and if we improve Lescotts contract he’ll be a moneygrabber as well.
Mark Pendleton
15   Posted 06/11/2007 at 17:47:06

Why do people have to assume the worst all of the time? I don’t think AJ demanded anything. The club is in a position to reward it’s star performers. I can see a new contract for Lescott in the summer too, or maybe even earlier. I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that a few of our players could earn more elsewhere than probably the new deals that they’re on but the fact is they’re happy to sign. The main thing is, whatever the situation, that we have our best players happy and tied in to long term deals. If that’s the case and either they do want out or we want to sell, then we can get top money for them. I applaud BK, DM and AJ.
Roy coyne
16   Posted 06/11/2007 at 18:19:31

While its nice to see all these players on long contracts,If we are honest the only one that really benefits is the player as contractual obligations of players(not just ours) is a joke if a agent smells more cash whoosh its a done deal
Viv
17   Posted 06/11/2007 at 18:31:48

So nice to see an almost fully positive thread for a change!
I dont think AJ is a money grabber. How can you call someone who works so hard for us a moneygrabber!? So he hit a dry patch. Top scorer last year, and in many ways, our best defender when he hassles us back possesion etc.
And back to the article, excelent point. Hopefully now the next time we get a Rooney come through our ranks (as i think we are about to all see clearly in Vaughn), the boards first thought will be how he could benefit the team, not "hmm, how much do you think he’s worth?!"
This is a maasive shift in club perspective, aquiring good players, keeping them and then looking for more... careful Davey or you might just win something! COYFB!!!!!
Ian Ankers
18   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:08:26

Nice one AJ! Your worth every penny!
Ben Moorer
19   Posted 07/11/2007 at 08:42:30

So AJ’s agent rapes the Club for another £15K a week and you’re all doing handstands! Who the fuck do you think is going to pay the greedy bastard? US-and you’re pleased about it? Hope you’ll all think the same when you see how much the season tickets are going up for next season!
patty
20   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:57:50

Ben Moorer .....Good job your not an Arsenal or Chelsea fan then, otherwise you would have to dig deep in your pockets for ticket money. Personally I don’t mind paying a bit extra for my seat if we carry on playing the way we are and actually win something this season - do you?
David Barks
21   Posted 07/11/2007 at 16:09:20

Ben,

I have a solution for you then. Find a team of first rate players who will agree to play for free, or for the love of the game. Do you think United won the title last season with a team of players on no wages???!!! You get what you pay for in this world, and football is no different. Finally Everton have caught on and are keeping their players salaries competitive.