Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Nurnberg game

The ticket situation is bad but I think the reaction is completely ridiculous. The tickets were sold and travel and accomodation has been bought also; they were cancelled on the premise of "high risk" and hooliganism.

I can imagine that most of these people are going to turn up now anyway and I think the chances of something happening now are far greater ? but still have faith in my fellow Toffees that nothing of note will.

We have the old Beeb basically saying the Toffee fans are going to riot and other outlets rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect. Surely a more sensible resolution would have been to let the fans use their tickets and fine Nurnberg or get them to pay the cost for the extra security.

This just makes us Evertonians look bad ? or is being used to make us look bad by certain branches of the media ? rather than it being a mistake of Nurnberg's and this is the reason for the "high risk", not Toffee fans.
Brian  Reidy, Ireland     Posted 06/11/2007 at 19:18:46

Comments

Lyndon
The reporting of this in some quarters of the media has been predictably sensationalist and, in some cases despicably so. The tickets were cancelled due to the same security concerns that make segregation of home and away fans routine across Europe, not because Evertonians are more prone to the hooligan element than anyone else.

Clearly, it's much easier to ignore our club's excellent record in terms of fan behaviour and "big up" the story to make it look as though Uefa intervened to avoid certain disaster.

Dave Roberts
1   Posted 06/11/2007 at 19:35:50

What I would like to know is is on what basis UEFA decided this was a 'Risk Game' (Nurenburg) What has ever happened in their or our history which has enabled this conclusion? It couldn't have anything to do with the proximity of our neighbours could it?
Allan Hobbs
2   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:28:07

Dave - English Fans + German Fans = bad news.

Liverpool have just spoilt my night.
Allan Hobbs
3   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:31:23

PS This is the UEFA/FIFA view, not mine.

I quite like German people.
Alan Attwood
4   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:43:25

Gents this report may clarify the situation....I don’t think so
(Updates with UEFA statement)

LONDON, Nov 6 (Reuters) - Around 1,500 Everton fans have had their tickets cancelled for Thursday’s UEFA Cup game against Nuremberg in Germany because of fears over hooliganism, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.

UEFA classified the match as high-risk after it emerged that Nuremberg had sold some 1,500 tickets direct to Everton fans, who would have been sitting among home supporters.

UEFA later issued a statement saying the decision to withdraw the tickets had been taken by Nuremberg themselves following consultations with police. UEFA said the allocation of tickets was purely the responsibility of the host club.

According to UEFA, the problem arose after a "bug" in Nuremberg’s online ticketing system allowed Everton fans to buy tickets allocated to home fans.

The governing body said that none of the purchases had been confirmed and that no money had been taken from the fans.

Everton were allocated fewer than 3,000 tickets for the ground, which holds 47,000 and said they had received requests for five times that number.

UEFA said that the allocation nevertheless exceeded the minimum number of tickets stipulated in the competition’s regulations which call for away fans to be offered at least five percent of the total tickets.

"We would never recommend that supporters get tickets through the host club," said Everton spokesman Ian Ross. "There are concerns when they do that. Those who bought them are being told now they can’t use them."

Steve Jones
5   Posted 07/11/2007 at 00:04:28

Obviuosly this is bollocks - there was no bug in the system and money has been taken from my credit card account.

I spoke to a lady last Monday and asked her was it OK for me to buy as I was from the UK , and she said of course you can purchase, no problem, where would you like to sit? She took my name , address and mobile phone number and told me she hoped I would enjoy the game !
I put the phone down delighted, organised my travlel and hotel, like many others and settled down to look forward to the game.
Now my flights cant be refunded, my son is to worried to go without a ticket, so its cost me £300.
I will still go as I have contacted a tout who has assured me a ticket for 75 euro when I meet him tomorrow - exactly twice what it cost nme for a ticket from Nurnberg - plus I will be (hopefully) in the ground in someone else’s registered seat !
That is if the let me in - practicising ja vuhl mein herr and eine kleine nacht musik phraes all night.
Christian Watson
6   Posted 07/11/2007 at 07:28:28

Maybe i’m biased and slightly naive but I firmly believe that the Evertonians who bought tickets over the phone and internet had absolutely bo intention of causing trouble whatsoever!
However, now, due to the myopic foresight shown by Platini and Co I fear the atmosphere will be a little more ’tense’. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I would have purchasd via the telephone but I was too late. However if I had and had subsequently heard that the transaction had been cancelled I would have been livid, but still travelled. And this is where the trouble lies. All those people will have made irreversable travel arrangements and they will be in Germany livid and ticketless (a heady mix)
Damian Killikelly
7   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:11:24

Dont know how many of you heard the segment on 5 Live Drive Time last night - had an Evertonian on (think he was called Ben Hodgson) who has had his tickets cancelled. He was given quite a lot of air time and the questioning was sympathetic and balanced. I also thought that he did an excellent job of explaining the full situation in an intelligent and articulate way (also managed to give an on-air plug to Toffeeweb!).

Wouldnt it be nice if reporting of our club (and of football in general) could always be like this...
jimmy hoffa
8   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:26:27

I never regarded Platini as a great football player. Just good, that’s all.

That’s why during his time he couldn’t win anything
Harold Holt
9   Posted 07/11/2007 at 10:08:22

mmmm.
1975 French second division champion
1978 French Cup winner
1983 Coppa Super Clubs winner
1983 Italian Cup winner
1984 European Cup Winners? Cup winner (first French player to win the trophy) 1984 European Super Cup winner
1984 Italian league champion
1985 European Cup winner
1985 World Club Championship winner 1986 Italian league champion
Also won 1984 European Championships with France and numerous individual awards. So Jimmy I think you are a goose. When you make a comment at least know what you are talking about! Nice name you ass clown
A.Codd
10   Posted 07/11/2007 at 10:59:51

Anyone else going in block 30?
Andy Shaw
11   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:08:40

Allan,

you are at it again.....get your facts straight. We are EVERTON fans, not just English fans..comments like this just prove my thoery...that you have never been to a game in your life...if you had you would know that we party, without trouble.
Stefan Tosev
12   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:15:34

I am in 28
Neil Crudden
13   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:49:46

I have got two spare tickets today, due to getting a couple of seats in the main stand last night that I am going to use.

I bought the two original tickets from an agency and had to pay £87 per ticket, as flights were booked etc, but now have them as spares. I have the email reciept from the ticket company showing that I paid £87 per ticket, so am not trying to rip anyone off, so I will accept £50 each for them. They are block 33, which I believe is by the other corner flag at the same end as the Everton fans and although it is in with the home fans, they seem decent seats - row 6. I have them with me at work today in Liverpool city centre, so if anyone is interested, please email neil@bluefireconsulting.co.uk. Cheers.
Erin Kane
14   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:50:50

Platini was a good, but not great footballer.

He never won anything during his time as a player. Ha Ha....

Thank you Mr Holt. You beat me to it.

Anyway, the nuremberg game tomorrow. I cant get to Bavaria to cheer on the side so will have to be content being vociferous from my armchair. Yakubu is looking promising and will be wanting to make up for the hurt of being part of the middlesbrough side that failed so miserably in last years final.

Im a little fuzzy about this whole group thing though. When we progress do we go into knockout stages, and if so what are they, last sixteen, last eight or is there another group. The formats change each and every year and i just cant keep up with the damn nonsense.
Mike Thomas
15   Posted 07/11/2007 at 14:19:54

Andy Shaw he did say "Uefa’s view not mine" which is a fair point I think. Do you really think Uefa consider Everton any differently to any other English club?

Personally, having worked in Germany, I reckon we would have all got on fine - now everyone will be tense and hyper-sensitive to any ’trouble’.
Allan Hobbs
16   Posted 07/11/2007 at 14:27:44

Andy - wtf is wrong with you??? Read it again you moron. Thats not my view, its the view of UEFA - German Fans & English Fans = bad mix according to them, hence why they’ve labelled it a ’high risk’ fixture.

FFS stop having a pop at me all the time; you know nothing about me, and nothing about how many games I go to or anything so kindly keep your childish digs to yourself.

And yes, I’m getting fucked off with you making comments about me unnecesarily.
A.Codd
17   Posted 07/11/2007 at 19:24:47

Can anyone clarify what section is for the everton fans?
Im in 30
Brian Haddock
18   Posted 07/11/2007 at 19:41:01

Someone said section 20 was next to Everton section so either 19 or 21 in that case I guess.