Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Football fans and where we all live

I read a really good post a few weeks ago, sorry I don't remember now who it was, but it stated how people with different opinions should not be classed as lesser fans. An excellent post indeed IMHO.

However, I feel there is another point that needs to be explored here and that is the constant references to other teams recruiting fans from parts of the country that are miles away from their particular club. This is always portrayed in a negative light and it is something I just don't understand.

For instance, it is often made light that the shite and Man Utd regularly attract fans from well outside their traditional catchment areas and these posts often contain an undertone of superiority. My question is does where you live make you any more of a football fan? Does it make you anymore or less a fan of your team.?

My own situation has me living in West Cornwall. Our nearest professional football team is Plymouth Argyle, a 2 hour drive away on a good day. Most of the people in our area support Argyle. However, not everybody does. We have our quota of Shite, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea fans etc but the biggest supported team in my local area (Argyle aside) is Everton! In fact in nearly every area I have lived I have found many of these pockets of blues and the club is currently attracting fans from around the world.

So my question is because we are not scousers are we a lesser breed of Everton fan? Because a Man u fan is not from Manchester does that make them any less of a fan? Is it a bad thing that the Everton fan base is increasing from places other then Liverpool? The answer has to be no on all fronts. Yes there are a minority who just support whoever is top of the league but most of these supporters genuinely love their club. I know I do. I often get asked why I support Everton. I don't know I just do! I've managed to convert my wife (a past football hater) into an Evertonian (helped in no small part by the signings of Tim Cahill and Mikky)

My point is that someone who lives in Cornwall is just as much an Evertonian as someone who lives in Liverpool as is someone who lives in London a Man U fan. It's what goes on in our heads that matters not where we live or where we are from. I am Cornish and very proud of it as I am sure a scouser is very proud of living in Liverpool. That is not a bad thing but being trying to make out being a more superior fan than someone who is from elsewhere is a bad thing IMHO. If people want to support the shite let them, and by all means take the piss, but not because of where they live. Are we not being hypocritical if we do?
Tris Allerton, Cornwall     Posted 06/11/2007 at 19:46:38

Comments

Lyndon
I think it's more to do with the tribal nature of football, the proportion of a team's core support that isn't local and the reasons why they chose the team they did that is the subject of ridicule. In other words, if you're Manchester United or Liverpool and half of your matchday attendees come from the Southwest, yet have no connection with either the area or the club in terms of family history and only started supporting them because they won the League, opposition fans are clearly going to seize on that.

That's why The People's Club remark struck such a chord with Everton fans. Here was an outsider acknowledging that the majority of local fans ? i.e. the immediate and most obvious catchment area for a football club ? chose to support Everton despite the fact that the rabble across the Park had more in their trophy cabinet.

Allan Hobbs
1   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:41:42

By that token Lyndon, people outside Liverpool who consider themselves Evertonian should be welcomed with open arms - I’m not from Liverpool, but I’ve been a blue since I was about 7 (I’m 34) and in my time, apart from when I was a kid we’ve won bugger all!
Keith Glazzard
2   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:53:45

Tris in Cornwall makes many good points. We know that there are Evertonians all over the world, but many of these trace their family line back to Merseyside. Many others come to us for our admirable qualities, and, of course, all are equally qualified. Mrs Allerton’s love of the club (?) is harder to explain, but who knows what women see in men anyway.

Does this have anything to add to the thinking about whether EFC has to be located within the present boundaries of the City of Liverpool? Just a thought.
Mike Dishome
3   Posted 06/11/2007 at 21:51:48

With some teams, we all know who they are, there are the glory seekers and for lots of kids and adults too I guess, the desire to fit in with their peers means choosing a popular (media hyped) team to support.
I agree with Lyndon that the tribal nature of football explains the local support but it does not undermine the passion and commitment from fans from all around the world, the ones I have met share the same love for the blue shirt that I do; long may it continue.
And for those who believe in the power of the almighty remember ?The chosen people? are just that; chosen. If the blue blood runs through your veins it is because you have been chosen, where you live is not a factor.
Never question why someone is a toffee, just buy them a drink !
Karl Masters
4   Posted 06/11/2007 at 22:17:43

Some of us out of towners have had a tough time over the years justifying our love of Everton to others.

I began supporting Everton in 1973 when I was 7 and there were not any other Everton supporting kids at my school in Kent. You can imagaine that I had a tough time from some of the others who notably supported the London teams or Man Utd or Liverpool.

Everton in the 70’s were always the proverbial sleeping giant who never quite won anything. Yet, this and the looks of puzzlement from other kids just made me support Everton even more. I was gutted when we threw away the League in 1975, lost the League cup to Villa in 1977 and the Clive Thomas semi brought tears to my eyes. By the time I first visited Goodison on my own in 1981 ( I think a lot of my friends thought I was mad! ) I was well and truly hooked.

The rest is history, but anybody prepared to travel from another region or country should be welcomed with open arms by Everton FC.

See you in Nuremberg!
John Kemp
5   Posted 06/11/2007 at 23:23:12

Obviously, if a supporter, not from the local area chooses to support a successful club, they are regarded as glory hunters jumping on the bandwagon, whereas those who choose clubs without the succees cn be seen as more creditable, with a genuine affection, not simply shitehawks looking to pick a winner.
There?s nothing wrong with having supporters from outside the city or region, but the worry for some is that with large numbers of out-of-towners, the club would lose some of its character, of what makes it what it is, which in the case of Everton is scouse.
Everton is always going to have non-local supporters with its history and appeal, and they are genuine Evertonians, however, i doubt whether we?ll have numbers on the scale of Man Utd or the red shite, probably due to lack of success and marketing acumen.
Peter Pridgeon
6   Posted 06/11/2007 at 23:26:56

Tris
Being from anywhere other than Merseyside does not make you any less of an Evertonian, we are all part of the family. I left Merseyside in 1981 and reside in New Zealand where I have met many Evertonians mostly without any familial connection to the city.
When you ask them why? and this is a genuine question for people born since 1970 they often say, I just like Everton or I played football and everyone had a team so I choose Everton. One young person said to me that because his mate was a koppite he decided to support Everton and as the internet came about so did his enthusiasm for our club.
I admire Everton supporters who go to every game home and away and indeed I did myself for several seasons in the 1970s however we are all Evertonians and part of the blue family
In saying this we have to give the gobbshites stick for something and the basis of their support coming from Oslo is a good start

Vasco Teixeira
7   Posted 07/11/2007 at 00:12:42

Hi there.
I’m Portuguese, proud one, of our culture, our history, our traditions, our sun. Don’t have any relation to England, yet....yes...I’m a mad Evertonian. Began to love the blues in 1984. That magic team. It was love, not only for that brilliant football, but mostly after I discover the blues history. I’m 38 now. 23 years of supporting the blues.
And after so many years, when EFC does appear on TV, like thursday against Nurnberg, I will wear my blue shirt, the scarf and the big flag I have on the couch. And believe me mates, that moments are magic to me. Don’t matter where u live, where u come from, what language you speak. When you really love a football club like I do in EFC, nothing else matters.
derek pierro
8   Posted 07/11/2007 at 00:05:50

Here’s my take. Born in Liverpool, only blue in completely red shite family. Hate Liverpool, give them stick, hate red in every sense.
Had to endure them all banging on about this win, that win, this cup final and that Rush header, waving them off as they followed that shower in the 80’s.
Unless you have experienced the day to day emotions of being a blue in Liverpool you will never understand.
If you are from Liverpool and you are a blue, then you have had to grow up in a certain way with a certain mentality.
This does not mean you have to come from Liverpool to be an Evertonian, nor does it mean you cannot feel blue, but you cannot truly understand.
I suppose it’s like being seventh generation Italian. Somewhere deep down there’s a spark, but you have not actually grown up with a mother who has a moustache.
I welcome every evertonian, even those reds who ended up playing for us and became die hard blues.
Take no offence. I no longer live in Liverpool, but now have a son. Yes he is blue and yes I have forced him to hate the shite. His cousin is a shite still living in Liverpool. When I take him home, he gives his cousin, his uncles and the rest of the shower stick, but when we leave Liverpool it is over for him until we return.
For me growing up in Liverpool and being a blue, it defined who I was and who I have become.
If you come from Cornwall or elsewhere, it does not run to your core.
You cannot know or ever understand what it feel like to have a GLOATING piece of shite in your ear from the moment you open your eyes till the moment you go to sleep again.
Please all come and be part of the Everton family.
I met a guy from Birmingham at the Luton game the other day and he was a proud blue. He had his daughter, again from Birmingham, and she was a keen blue. Amazing stuff. Don’t understand it but love it.
I am not saying you cannot be a blue, you are just a different kind of blue and that is good enough for me.
And always remember, as i tell my lad just before I turn of the blue light, in the everton lampshade, that illuminates the everton wall paper with his heroes on it, there’s always a giant POO in Liverpool.
ian tunny
9   Posted 07/11/2007 at 00:37:26

I agree with everyting you have just said derek, its great outsiders are supportig the blues but they can never truly know what it is like to be an everton fan unless you are brought up in the city in its history and tradition the whole culture the seige mentality that we have had to develop both everton and the shite to be the best because we push each other to success and also because scousers have such a bad reputation because of the media down south. Scousers are very proud and we beleive deep down we are better than anyone else this is the mentality you need to get to the top that extra bit of fight. Liverpool produces the best talent which is why its only a matter of time before the cream rises to the top once again liike the 80s when it was everton and Liverpool dominating. I think this would have already happend if money didnt come into it an if we wernt banned from Europe in the 1st place! Like my brother says if its not about where you come from why are we named after a place? To me Everton is not just a football team they represent my city and all scousers i must sound crazy but that is why outsiders can never know what it like to be an everton fanatic willing to die for the cause for your city and all scousers. Non of this for queen and country crap. It is a passion!
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
10   Posted 07/11/2007 at 01:25:30

I should point out that I have absolutely no ties to Merseyside either, have never lived there and probably never will so I’m in complete agreement with those who say that your Evertonian credentials are not lessened by where you live! :)

I started supporting the club in 1986 when I arrived in the UK from South Africa. I wasn’t so much a glory-hunter because I just had an epiphany watching Football Focus one Saturday afternoon and decided that Everton was the team for me before I even knew how successful they were at the time. I like to think I didn’t choose, I was chosen...
Kieran Kinsella
11   Posted 07/11/2007 at 01:45:28

I only supported Everton because the nice old priest who used to say mass at my Hertfordshire primary school told us we should when we were 5. The alternative was to support a local team like Arsenal or Tottenham. All the Spurs fans were fair weather fans and for some reason back then no one seemed to support Arsenal so we all decided to follow the lead of a 75 year old scouse priest and supported Everton. Sadly for me and my mates Welshie, Daniele and Beckley we have stayed loyal to the blues for the last 25 mostly miserable years but none of us have ever swayed in our loyalty. We’ve all been to Goodison more times than our Arsenal/Spurs supporting neighbours have been to games at those clubs. In fact I have seen Everton play more times even at Selhurst than one of my "diehard Spurs" mates has seen his side play at all. I think that Everton is sort of like heroin or something. You try it out but then you can’t ever quit it. Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea are like different types of soda pop that people can take or leave as fads come and go but Everton is a lifetime commitment.
Peter Pridgeon
12   Posted 07/11/2007 at 02:06:41

Ian
where does that shite come from die for our city and all scousers. I was born a scouser and shall go peacefully to my grave a scouser but to die for it sorry mate. This is just sport albeit a very passionate one.
What you seem not to understand is that people all over world have a similar attitude to their place of birth and feel outsiders can never understand it, for example The Welsh and Scots to some extent but to a further extent the Afrikaners in SA and Maori s New Zealand.
The more you take the attitude that ’others’ can never understand the more insular and bitter you become.
People from all over the world support both Merseyside teams and fully understand what it is like for the home fans, as they have similar rivalries with in their home countries that are borne of real or sometimes perceived threats .
In my humble opinion if you are an Evertonian it does not matter were why or what welcome to the family.
Thommo
13   Posted 07/11/2007 at 03:42:51

With a bit of imagination you can become Tris Cornwall from Allerton, problem sorted and all accepted.
Michael Tracey
14   Posted 07/11/2007 at 03:17:40

I would have to agree with Peter on this. I think that I am as passionate about Everton as anyone and being a scouse or not doesn’t really matter. But thank you Derek for allowing me to support Everton. I find it insulting that you consider yourself a bigger fan than any other Evertonian just because you are from Liverpool. If you are sucha fanatical scouse person then why have you moved from your beloved City? I come frm Perth Western Australia and I know exactly what you are talking about in terms of Derby matches. We have a local Derby here (different type of Footy) and its no less passionate than a Merseyside affair. I am a dockers fan (peoples club) and our hated rivals are Eagles (corporate, blanket wearing, successful) is remarkably similar to the Merseyside rivarly. I have spent thousands of pounds over the years to be an Everton fan and why because I love the CLUB. I have been with Everton up and down, shite and good for 27 years (im only 31), so i know and understand completely what its like to be an Evertonian. What I will not have is some supposed fellow blue questioning my credentials.
Matt Traynor
15   Posted 07/11/2007 at 04:19:54

Although born at home a couple of minutes walk from Goodison, and from an immediate family of Blues (wider family is split), I pretty much left Liverpool after Uni, and left the UK at the end of 2003.
Here in Singapore there?s a lot of Blues. In fact in Asia there?s absolutely loads. Our partnership (note choice of words) with Chang has done wonders for our profile in Asia. I could tell you the reason why Chang chose Everton but some of you will know anyway as I don?t want to drop myself in the crap with them!!
The Man U / Liverpool / Arsenal fan clubs here are huge ? usually run by expats. The Everton fan club here large, and growing, and is run by locals and rightly so. Loads of these guys have been Everton for ever and I?m screwed if I can figure out why! Some of them supported the glory teams but switched for reasons like ?it felt better supporting Everton?. Why? Alan Ball (RIP) had it spot on ? ?Once Everton has touched you, nothing is ever the same again?.
Some of these lads and lasses have seen an Everton team success-wise meander between thin and anorexic. When we had Tim Cahill here in June, people travelled from Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand for the chance to meet him ? despite a last minute switch of date due to a request from the Football Federation of Australia (who were brilliant once they realised our set up).
Now when we watch the games live, the ones who want to have a quiet time ? watch over a few beers and nibbles go to one venue, the nutters go to an Irish pub. We even have fans of other clubs tagging along because they enjoy the banter (and I suspect we have a couple of babes who come along). Loads of the expat fans here are from the Midlands, south east, even Russia! But they?re Everton-mad. Even the freakin TV presenters of the football shows want to come and join us for our games when they?re not working ? and bring a crew along to film it!
When we get the usual bollocks from Reds who don?t know their history, it?s quite simple ? where are all the buses in Singapore promoting Carlsberg and Liverpool? Oh there were 20 Chang-Everton buses here for 6 months. When was the last time one of your top players met the fans, posed for photos, autographs and was willing to stay longer than his management wanted? If I could source the merchandise (which let?s face it is probably manufactured in Asia anyway!) I could open an Everton shop here and it would be empty in days (sold not nicked!)
In a weeks time there?s a fans night with ?Liverpool Legends? (and massive Blues) Ian Rush and Steve McMahon. There?ll be a ton of us in the audience asking questions and giving the usual put downs, whilst the Liverpool supporters here are still trying to remember a game they watched on TV so they can ask a question. Looking forward to it? You betcha!
Nick Veitch
16   Posted 07/11/2007 at 04:14:40

Following on from your comments Michael, there’s quite a lot of Everton supporters in Australia fullstop (i’m from Brisbane). The amount of dedication some of us have, having to watch games live between midnight and 5am, even when you have work the next day. I can’t remember the last game I haven’t watched live (on TV). My life revolves around watching Everton. These European games are live at 5am here (i manage to watch it on Sopcast).
I don’t care what anyone says, Evertonians outside of Liverpool can be just as passionate about Everton as scousers in Liverpool.

And I don’t agree with you Derek about the hatred for the shite. You don’t have to experience it firsthand to build this severe hatred. I feel ill watching highlights of them. I absolutely loathe the pricks. Watching their celebrations at Goodison recently just increased this hatred.
Kevin Chang
17   Posted 07/11/2007 at 04:50:30

Hi. I?m Malaysian. And I still live in Malaysia. Been Supporting Everton since I was 8 years old. Now I?m 34. All my friends are Liverpool or Man Utd supporters, up until recently some newcomer supports Chelsea (for obvious reasons). But I remain and "EVERTONIAN" till this day.

I know I?m not even close to what you call an Evertonian, but deep down I am as strong as all of you.
Dave wilson
18   Posted 07/11/2007 at 04:44:55

Blues from outside the city could hardly be labelled "glory hunters", I grew up a mile from GP so it was easier for me, I take me hat off to the guys who travel to GP or support us from afar, I view a blue from down under in the same way as the fella next door,
Lue Glover
19   Posted 07/11/2007 at 07:49:27

My father loved football so the only team to watch in the early 60’s was Everton. So perhaps he was a glory seeker searching for good football. The fact that it would take him anything up to four hours of bus, train and ferry to get to Goodison from deepest Wales was beside the point. He would go to the match and come back with the Pink Echo and we would read the report together - him taking the reporters to task over this pass and that goal. I was never allowed to go to Goodison because I was a little girl and little girls didnt go to football matches so far away in those days.
My family have no connections with the city, two shopping trips a year with my great aunt to buy hats and stare at THAT statue......was my only link to the club and the city.
At school I was held up as a pitiful girl who knew nothing about football because I supported the Blues. Man U was the team, the RS were but a dot on the landscape at the time (oh happy days).
I travel a fair distance to come to every home game but I am in awe of those who travel from south Wales (Patty) and the south west to come to Goodison for what is not always a rewarding experience.
Being a Blue is like being part of a family, we bicker and argue amongst ourselves but when the chips are down we all stand together.
We share pain and joy together, we know what eachother is going through with each kick of the ball and each result. It’s a great feeling of belonging.
My favourite bits are when the GS start ’stand up if you love the Blues’ - I really wish that one day the whole stadium would indeed STAND UP.
Per Stumo
20   Posted 07/11/2007 at 08:04:18

I’m Norwegian and I’ve been an Evertonian since the early 80’s (I’m 33). I can’t fully remember why I ended up supporting Everton but I remember watching BBC’s Match of the Day every saturday with my cousin (and next door neighbor). He was a kopite and no doubt one of the reasons I became an Evertonian.

Though I’m not a scouser and has no relation to anyone in Liverpool (as far as I know anyways) I believe I get about as much stick from the redshite as anyone on Merseyside does. For example, I usually go to the pub to watch the derby and while you guys might be surrounded by other blues I’m one of maybe three Evertonians surrounded by hundreds of kopites. It’s not pretty.
Rory Slingo
21   Posted 07/11/2007 at 07:37:48

?Once Everton has touched you, nothing is ever the same again?

Truer words have never been spoken! I used to like Rushie and Grobelaar when I was a wee lad because I thought he was a good laugh. But I didn’t really support any team, I was more into the NBA at the time. One day in 1988 I saw a team poster of Everton on my friend’s bedroom wall and I went "Who’s that?" He explained to me they were the best team from Liverpool and my eyes lit up! "A team from Liverpool that wears blue!! Right, I’m supporting them!"

Funny what you base your decisions on when you’re 10 years old but it just felt right. All I knew at the time was that I liked Liverpool because dad, even though he’s from Bedford, used to play the Beatles and Paul McCartney & Wings all the time. That and I hated the color red, blue’s my fav color! In the years after that Everton started going downhill but it coincided with my teenage rebellion years. While my glory-hunting friends chose to support the Shites, Manures and Arses, I was quite happy to continue supporting my ’perrenial underdogs’.
Now that I know my history, it has dawned on me why I have the passion I have for this club.

I was not born in Liverpool, yet I believe I was born to support this club. That fateful day in 1988 when I saw that Everton team poster on the wall, I did not choose. I hadn’t even seen them play yet! No, I was chosen. Nothing’s been the same since that day. It just felt right and I would have it no other way.

To Tris, it does feel odd reading snide remarks on here about out-of-town supporters of other clubs. Being an Everton supporter in another country myself, telling local Koppites that Anfield is full of Norwegians doesn’t carry quite the same sting as they point out I’m not from Liverpool either! But it’s not so much the fact that they have a large out-of-town support, then the fact that their own so-called fans that live in Liverpool don’t even bother going to the match! Like it or not, it’s the large number of away fans that have made the Shite and Manure what they are today. They’ve played better football and have won more things in recent times than us and it’s their legions of fans (glory-hunting or otherwise) worldwide that are filling their coffers daily. If Everton ever hope to compete with that, some day we’re going to have a much larger percentage of support from outside Liverpool too. Only our stadium, wherever we end up, will still be filled with scousers in royal blue!
Gary Tan
22   Posted 07/11/2007 at 08:46:46

I am Singaporean but I have supported Everton since the mid-Eighties. Been to Goodison once (1-0 v West Brom) and missed the goal while I was taking a leak! And I still think that I am as much a Blue as any season ticket holder, perhaps even more so when you consider how difficult a long-distance relationship is........
Baloo Johnson
23   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:10:39

I identify with everybody on here because I am also an Evertonian. And I live a couple of hours away from GP.

I also identify with most if not all Evertonians, that I still get a wondeful warm feeling inside my body when the Dark Side loose (or sometimes even draw)

However, I don’t always identify myself with Moyes supporters or Kirkby supports or Kenwright supportes.

So, even though I call myself a true blue, I don’t think this label tells the whole story of my allegiance to Everton.

Stefan Tosev
24   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:08:12

I am Bulgarian and suppurt Everton sinse 1984 in fact this was the first word that I read in my life and that I can remember.My Grandfather is responsible for me beeing an Evertonian,I have been to Goodison 2 times and I watched the the Blues 2 times in London one of them was heavy defeat at Spurs I think we lost 5-2 or 5-1 a couple a seasons ago.

I dont subscribe to the ellitist view that you have to be from Liverpool to be real Evertonian but I can uderstand where the peoples are comming from, maybe having to go work after yesterday night is harder in Liverpool then in Vienna/Sofia but we always have to remember that we are one community. EVERTON,EVERTON;EVERTON
Paul Lenehan
25   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:42:02

Lyndon sums it up. The point is the Shite and Utd have no soul, no connection to the area they are based. I know when I go over to Goodison i will hear many different accents, but the majority will be scouse...and thats the way it should be. I don t feel because im from Ireland I am any less of a supporter but we are the peoples club and Everton is a Liverpool/Merseyside club and that is important to remember.
Anto Doran
26   Posted 07/11/2007 at 08:53:24

Im 29 and live in Wexford, Ireland. I started supporting Everton when I started playing football as a kid in the late 1980’s, no one in my immediate family really liked football but all my friends that did supported Celtic, Liverpool Man U. I dont support Celtic tho do confess to being ’up’ for them when they play Rangers! the reason I chose to support Everton was after watching the 1989 FA Cup Final against Liverpool, ill never forget Stuart mcCall scoring the equalizer in the last minute and me being so happy, I think the was the EXACT moment I started supporting Everton!!!! It didnt matter we ended up losing from that moment I was hooked! I do remember getting slagged by my friends after the game, there was suddendly a whole load of Liverpool supporters were the wasnt any before, Liverpool were the club of the day after winning this cup so soon after Hillsborough but even with all that about them I was firmly an Evertonian from that moment on! Since then I have learned a lot about the clubs history and the connection with Irish-Toffeemen and the fact we are one of the oldest clubs in World football, far older than Liverpool, makes me proud that I support them! COYB!
Erin Kane
27   Posted 07/11/2007 at 09:54:20

I was born in Prenton in the late 1960s. Being born in the locality i had my pick of the clubs but the first game I attended was at Blackpool in 1984. At that time i had little interest in football and only went to see the tangerines because i was going out with a girl from Wallasey who fancied one of their players.

Post match ,whilst along the golden mile we encountered some blues fans and soon they were telling us they had won the fa cup and how they were going to be one of the best teams in the land. We got on fine and when i returned home i told myself i would make an effort and go to a game. Indeed I did, and by the time of Xmas 1984 i was a supporter going regularly across the mersey attending games right up to the present day.

I no longer live in the area but like to get up whenever I am able.
Matt Geraghty
28   Posted 07/11/2007 at 10:13:29

Some great reads there fellas, thanks for the interesting insight as to why ’you’ follow the blues.
Tris Allerton
29   Posted 07/11/2007 at 10:57:22

Its interesting to see some of the opinions here, some of which I agree with and some of which I don’t, but I do agree with the fact that the shite and Man U have a lot of glory seeker fans but what I’m trying to say is that it is what goes on in the head and heart that defines you as a fan not where you live. I think Lyndon makes a good point about the tribal nature of football fans, but does that make it right? I don’t accept the point that you have to be in Liverpool to fully understand. As people so often say, the shite are everywhere, so we will give them stick and get stick in return everywhere. Its all relative, I think.
Tris Allerton
30   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:05:20

Oh yeah and someone made reference to my name, I’m sure I probably do have a tenuous link to the city and certainly have a family connection to the north west but it has nothing to do with why I support Everton.
patty
31   Posted 07/11/2007 at 10:38:56

Lue Glover - thanks for the compliment. I travel to Goodison from Carmarthen, South Wales, because that’s where we now live. Married and had a hotel here for some years. Have been a fanatical Everton supporter since about 6 - my father being a die-hard Blue who wouldn’t have red in the house. Perhaps you were like me - no boys in the family so I was taken to football games. In Liverpool where I was born and raised, to "catch a fella’s eye" you had to know about football... opening conversation was always "Red or Blue?" ... "Green or Orange"... and you had to know something about the game or you didn’t get a look in. Love the Club to my dying breath - always have and always will and hope to depart this world to the Z cars theme!! Do not tolerate the constant bragging of the Red bosses I have to work with, hate Liverpool FC and any glory they get. 8 goals last night.. can you imagine what I am going through today but then I tell them "You have still got to win your last two games and let’s hope you don ’t!!"
Dennis Steele
32   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:12:01

I went to a Secondary school in Chelmsford during the mid to late 1980s and of about 340 pupils only two to my knowledge supported Everton. I was one of them. The other was originally from Walton so had good reason but i grew up nowhere near merseyside but had supported the club for as long as i could remember anyhow.

I was ridiculed more times than i could remember by other mid teen spotty uneducated shites despite at the time us having a more than adequate sqaud who could still give the best of sides a run for their money.

I remember one night a few friends went to upton park for a night game after school to see the blues. I was the only toffee fan. following a defeat, although dave watson did score i was ridiculed once more all the way back to essex and for weeks afterwards.

They did shut the Fu@k up after putting four past them without reply at goodison in a later game.

They can all be silent again when we beat their crap once more in the league cup. Not that I see them anymore.
Allan Hobbs
33   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:00:16

8 nil or 1 nil, last night made no odds Patty - they still have to beat Porto at home & Marseille away which won’t be easy. Small-game players scoring last night against a pub side - Besiktas were bloody awful; it made me cringe. Crouch, Benayoun, Babel - all massively overated at best.

I own zero red clothing, I have zero red items in my house, I refuse to buy anything red. All rather daft I know, and my missus thinks I’m deranged (she’s from Chesterfield so what does she know!?)

My 5 yr old supports Man Utd, though he’ll say Man Utd & Everton if pressed - I have little control over this as he lives in a household with a die-hard Utd fan which pains me, but I have to swallow it. By blood/area I should support Leyton Orient as my old man is from Leyton and his Dad was a die-hard O’s fan all his life - I get asked alot why I support Everton and my answer is simple. Picked them as a kid, had no idea where they were, it wasn’t important as a 7 yr old. I liked the kit, they were a top team at the time and as you do, you stick with your team through thick & thin - sadly its been mostly thin! Maybe its true, maybe we’re chosen. Everton IS the team to follow!
Derek Murphy
34   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:08:09

im an avid blue from cork in ireland.

im 31 and started to support the blues from when i started school.

all my family are man ure but my mum god bless her bought me an everton schoolbag.

i have been a true blue ever since. i travel to gp about 4 times a year more if i can.

i know what people say when they say its not the same for us who dont come from merseyside but that doesnt make us any less loyal or proud to be blue.

believe it there are nearly as many red shite supporters living here as there are in liverpool and they are all the same a pain in the bollox.

Dave Richman
35   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:59:12

I’ve been living in South Africa since 1974. I come from a family with no tradition of supporting the Blues, and had my epiphany when I was taken to Goodison as a small boy.

I can assure you it’s not easy supporting the Blues in this part of the world. As is the case in other parts of the world, the Shite, United, Arse etc have massive supporters clubs, with the usual beauts who can’t even tell you who their next fixture is against.

Case in point, a United fan tried to take the mick after the 1-0 defeat earlier this season, and despite the fact that it’s almost akin to clubbing seals, I decided enough was enough and asked him to name 3 current players in their squad. I eventualy revised it down to 1, and he said "..... Gibbs?". Enough said.

I’d like to think I’m responsible for the conversion of loads of ’neutrals’, as everyone always seems to know how Everton have got on.

It’s in your blood.
connor davies
36   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:04:26

Living in the south of England and being surrounded by RS and the rest of the glory hunting fans. it really is amazing when you meet another evertonian, when watching a game in the pub the few everton fans you meet is far more special than the thousands of liverpool, manure, and arsenal fans who clearly are just another fan. being an everton fan in the south is also hard because when i do get to see a game it is either away at fratton park or at reading. evertonians are special so i dont think it matters where you grew up because every evertonian i have met has their reasons rather than the glory hunters who like supporting the popular teams. NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Allan Hobbs
37   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:29:03

Is that Herschelle or Ryan Gibbs?!?!
Emil Mathias
38   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:17:13

I love the bizarre looks I get from people in London, when I say I?m an Everton fan! Why they ask? Well its a long story, as with all of these posts! But after being badgered into going for them by family friends from the north, when I was 6 (21 years ago now!) I have never looked back!

Maybe the Ed?s could sort out dedicated regional boards like the Nurneburg thread, so the dispersed masses can get together?!
Dave Richman
39   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:41:28

Oh it was indeed ’Ryan Gibbs’
James Elworthy
40   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:50:56

If a guy in Cornwall supports Everton or Aston Villa or Leeds Utd then they are not normally a glory hunter they are usually a person who has developed a particular affinity to a club.
I visited Dublin on a regular basis, the three people I visited within a year became rabid Everton fans because I was always talking about them..
In the FA cup final the one Whiteside scored the winner, I swapped my tickets and ended up with Cornwall FA tickets for me and my wife sitting amongst a pile of Cornish people who initially set out to support Utd. By the end of the match they were cheering on the Blues.
Tony Connor
41   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:52:30

derek pierro

I can’t agree with this one Derek ’Unless you have experienced the day to day emotions of being a blue in Liverpool you will never understand’

My parents moved to the Midlands from Liverpool in the early 60’s and along came yours truly.

Dad is RS
Brother is RS
Both Grandfathers are RS
3 out of 4 uncles are RS

Thankfully one uncle..(God Bless you Uncle Pete) got to me first..and I was hooked on the Blues.

I don’t live, and never have lived, in Liverpool but believe me I still understand exactly what it is to have day in-day out RS BS in the mush for the best part of 40 years...and furthermore having not a solitary other Blue around to back you up when the gloves come off!
Nick Veitch
42   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:01:27

This will probably sound like a ridiculous idea, and will probably be shot down in flames. I’d love it if the club had a ’International Supporter’s Day’, where all supporters living outside of liverpool are encouraged to attend a particular game. The logistics of it all might be a bit much, however given we are the ’People’s Club’, might be worth a punt. Even if a few hundred (or thousand) turned up it would be a great thing. I’d like nothing better than meeting up with Evertonians from all around the globe for a punt after we’d just beaten spurs 4-0. Might help encourage International support? I’m not sure....COYB!!!
Keith Hughes
43   Posted 07/11/2007 at 11:53:33

I lived in the Witton area of Birmingham for a significant time and many years ago, almost to the day i think (5th November?) I went to see Aston Villa play Everton in 1989. At that time it was my first game and only went as my uncle worked on the gates and maaged to get me in albeit with the home fans.

Being a neutral at the time I was treated, if that is the word to a game that will live long in the memory. There was not many times that southall had six put put him in any game but when we were facing what seemed like a colossal embarrassment, the blues did redeem themselves at least with two back in the end.

So, instead of following the winning side, i chose to support the losers that day, because i can tell you the away fans that day could be heard even as the ball continually found its way into Neville’s goal. Over the years, my support has grew in stature but it was a strange day to start it all off.
Andrew Mackenzie
44   Posted 07/11/2007 at 12:56:25

I’d ask all Blues questioning out of town blues to consider this. I’m a scouser and was brought up in a family full of reds, me and my cousin were the only two to stand up against them and first visted GP in 1978, taken by our neighbour! Roll on 29 years and I live away due to work, now I have young children am I supposed to say no, you can’t support Everton, you have to support your local team?
Having travelled a long way supporting the lads I know its a long journey home after a dreadful draw or embarrassing loss!
Luke Brooks
45   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:00:57

I ’picked’ Everton at infant school in 84 in deepest Kent. I simply liked the blue kit best on the Panini stickers my mates had. There was one other blue boy at my school and the rest were RS or Utd fans - I got stick all the way through school and dished plenty out every chance I got. My best mate is a red and one thing we can never agree on is footy.
Evertonians are choosen and are not defined by the postcode they were born in....I feel lucky to be a blue and believe that it defines who I am.
Allan Hobbs
46   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:15:07

Its a tough one Andrew, but like you, I don’t live in Liverpool and my son supports Man Utd due to living with my ex and her partner, who is a Utd fan so has more influence than me. Not much you can really do about it, they get influenced greatly by peers etc and I’d suggest that out of towners kids are more likely to support Utd or Chelsea these days. My son plays footie every week and all the kids wear Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or RS kits.
Remi Murray
47   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:25:30

There are of course Evertonians from outside Liverpool, but that is nothing compared to the number of Manure and Shite fans. I think it all depends on your reasons for supporting a club. I lived in Brum for year and it really pissed me off to see so many Manure and shite shirts, particularly when the city has two premiership clubs. I once asked a brum Shite fan why he supported the shite and he said he could never support Villa as they’re crap. Now that is glory hunting, and he can never be a true fan.
Ian Ankers
48   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:15:15

I agree totally with Tony Connor in reply to the Derek Pierro quote ?Unless you have experienced the day to day emotions of being a blue in Liverpool you will never understand?

The fact that we all love to talk about the fact that there are more kopites outside the city than in tends to back up the point that no matter where you live there are always plenty of kopites you have to deal with on a day to day basis.(and for the record I?m about 35 miles from Liverpool....Far enough to be called an outsider??) And whats more, I?m halfway between Liverpool and Manchester so there are plenty of Mancs throwing in there two penneth aswell whenever the blues suffer defeat. Just this morning I?ve had to put up with Kopites driving into the work car park beeping there horns 8 times (one for each goal last night :( ) before quickly seeking me out to tell me how great they are. My dislike (and thats being polite) for the Kopites is as strong as anyone?s and I?m surrounded by reds on a daily basis. I do have a few blues around me aswell to back me up when needed! Believe me when I say the rivalry and day to day ribbing between the reds and blues stems alot further than the city boundries. You?d be surprised how far these things spread.
There will be obviously more to deal with in the city, but I think the emotional side is exactly the same for me and others who live outside. There may well be differences between being an Evertonian inside the city and being one outside the city, I?ve never lived inside so I?m not qualified to say, but the ribbing you get from the reds after they have a good result or we have a bad one is not one of them! The first thing I thought about last night after seeing the Liverpool score was my dread of coming to work the next day. Inside or outside the city, there?s never someone too far away to rub your nose in it.
Trevor Thompson
49   Posted 07/11/2007 at 13:33:25

Born in Croydon but raised a blue (well since I was ten) I’m lucky that I have another friend in my area who supports the blues so we can both have a chat about our beloved team. But I could count how many people support Everton down here on one hand. People find it strange that I support Everton but they were the 1st team I ever saw on tv and they just stuck goodness knows how many times I wanted to quit supporting them but I just can’t they are like a drug.
Trevor Payne
50   Posted 07/11/2007 at 14:06:13

I’m a Hertfordshire bod. I’ve supported Everton since 1984 (aged 7) when I first watched an FA Cup Final.

I started supporting Everton not due to us winning the Cup (honest!) but to 3 reasons. 1: "Trevor" Steven played in the team on the day and set up the 2nd goal; 2: Two kids in my year at school at the time also supported Everton and; 3: The dentist I visited at the time (and still do) is located just a few yards from (London) Liverpool Street Station. As a young, naive lad I knew Everton were based in Liverpool but wern’t too sure where Liverpool was. Obviously you can guess the rest!

But since that day I have stuck with the Toffees through the highs and lows (quite a few). Most of my mates are Spuds or Gooners which in the past hasn’t been good news for me!

I try to see at least 5 home games every season. Sometimes see more if I can afford it! The last game I saw was the Kharkiv game at Goodison. Didn’t get home until 2am that night.

But it doesn’t matter if I see ’em win, lose or draw. I love the atmosphere and how friendly everyone is I’ve encountered at Everton and in Liverpool in general.

And yes, I know my history.....
Mark Stone
51   Posted 07/11/2007 at 14:10:22

I don’t support - nor am I passionate about Everton because of the history (although it’s something I have grown to be fiercely proud of). I support Everton because they are my local team . I haven’t supported them since I was 8, or 10 or 15, I’ve supported them since the day I was born! One of my earliest memories is in nursery having a bit of banter with some Liverpool fans (as kids do)!

For me supporting a football team is partly about being proud of where I’m from (you may find that right or wrong - I think it’s neither it’s just the way I feel). If was from London I’d support one of the London teams, if I were from Manchester I’d support City or Utd - If I was from Chester I’d support Chester City and I was from Colwyn Bay I’d support Colwyn Bay!

Having worked in professional and semi professional football, I have found it difficult to understand why people follow teams other than their local - for instance it’s disappointing to see Chester City struggling to get 3000 fans in their 6000 seater stadium when there’s 20’000 people from Chester spread out between Old Trafford, Anfield and Goodison.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t have a problem with out of town supporters, nor do I feel that by growing up in Liverpool makes me a better Everton fan - I just don’t understand why people don’t support the team they grew up by - and sometimes find it disappointing.

Having said that I can empathise with long distance supporters. I was never interested in American sports until I moved to Boston a few years ago. In Boston I got really into NFL and MLB and am still a proud follower of the New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox - again though I chose these teams because they were my local teams.

For the record I now live in Gateshead as I I am studying in Newcastle and obviously I am still a massive Everton fan (a leopard doesn’t change it’s spots) but if I’m not going back to Liverpool on the weekend to watch Everton - I often nip along to watch Gateshead FC in the Unibond.
Mark Stone
52   Posted 07/11/2007 at 14:52:00

Something to add:

I don’t understand how Everton fans - from Liverpool - can profess to ’hate kopites’ and I’ve mentioned this before. Most people from Liverpool will have mates who are both Red and Blue and family the same. So whilst I enjoy the banter with Liverpool fans - I don’t by any stretch hate them. Liverpool certainly wouldn’t be a nice place to live for anyone who actually ’hates kopites’
Erin Kane
53   Posted 07/11/2007 at 15:09:54

I myself dont like liverpool. TheTeam as a whole that is, not the city.

I have known people who have never been further north than Cambridge who depicts scousers as thieving unemployable scallywags with a small wardrobe.

Thats simply not the case, I lived near Birkenhead and went across the mersey on enough occasions to know that most scousers are witty, helpful with good educations.

The same could be said of the Irish that they are a nation of gamblers, wildmen and drunks but of course thats not the case. I was married to a lovely woman from Waterford and we went over now and again and it was a pleasure each time.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the game tomorrow even if the ticket arrangements leave a lot to be desired.
Phil O Rourke
54   Posted 07/11/2007 at 15:23:57

The bottom line in this discussion is we’re all blues. No matter where we come from. We are the chosen ones! Always remember that. As Brian labone said, "One Evertonian is worth 20 liverpudlians"

COYB!!!!
norman merrill
55   Posted 07/11/2007 at 15:22:28

Lyndon, I am sure you are aware of who was the Main agitator, when David Moyes,
came out with the "Peoples Club" heading
A certain Chris Bascomb, ex Lpool Echo. reporter on all things red.
He now earns his pieces of silver with the "SUN" owned News of the World, how low could you get?
Duncan McDine
56   Posted 07/11/2007 at 15:07:31

I knew this one would spark off a bit!!! I’m from Wiltshire, Dad’s a blue (but not a scouser) so I was brought up watching Everton. Dad took me and my brother to watch Pompey v Everton when I was 6 and Sharpy scored (think we won 2-0) and won the league that year (86-87). That was my first match, but me and my brother have been Everton fans since then.

Living in Wiltshire, like anywhere else in Britain is full of Kopites, and Blues anywhere in the world are surrounded by the gobshites. So when they win a derby and give it the big one, we all suffer as much as you Ian.

How much of a fan you are depends on how much Everton plays a part in your life. It has less to do with where you come from nowadays. For instance, there are tons and tons of Blues in Liverpool that get to Goodison once or twice a season. There are also scousers who never miss a game. There are ’outsiders’ like me who get to about 6 or 7 games a season, and also ’outsiders’ who watch every single game
Trevor Payne
57   Posted 07/11/2007 at 18:48:42

I understand Mark Stone’s comment about supporting your local team. And I do. Hoddesdon FC. 10 mintues up the road and they attract about 30 at home games!

I had no real influences on who to support when I was younger. My dad isn’t/wasn’t really interested in football nor is my mum. At the time when Everton became a part of me, my sister and brother weren’t mad football fans either but they now support Arsenal and Spurs on a more regular basis. My sis more so! If my grandad hadn’t passed away when I was 2, I would’ve been a Yido - he was Spurs mad.

Just for the record, I was fooball mad when I was younger, as you are when a kid, and I had Everton posters all round my bedroom. All I am allowed now (from the missis) is framed pic of Goodison.

Duncan McDine’s comment is spot on. It all depends on how much Everton is part of your life. Everton is a big part of my life. My family and friends let me know about especially when we lose!
Phill Everton
58   Posted 07/11/2007 at 19:14:39

Mark, I know where your’e coming from. It was the same for me, I was literally born a blue from day 1. My awl fella was a born Blue and his father too. My mam (god bless her) was a red as was all her side of the family. So from the first days of speech I was verball fighting the blue corner with my dark sided cousins. Who, by the way I love to death. Your’e right mate, its a throw away line but I certainly do not HATE all rs. The one issue I have with what you say is when you say you should support your local team. I agree to an extent but my kids were born down south, maybe they should support Brighton, but there was no way on god’s earth that they were going to support anyone but Everton. Some may say that’s extreme, certainly the mother-in-law does, but I counter her by pointing out if I was to ’choose’ their religion for them she would not bat an eye-lid. So, should I have let my kids ’choose’ their team? Because you can bet your bottom dollar it would of been one of Sky’s ’four’ and not their local team.
Mark Stone
59   Posted 09/11/2007 at 11:09:22

I’m not saying it’s wrong mate, I just don’t understand the attraction of growing up supporting a team who play 250 miles away and whom have obvious connection. Obviously your kids have that connection through you which is more understandable.