Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Who's your captain?

It seems many visitors these days don't want Phil Neville to be our captain. Someone suggested Lee Carsley the other day. I'm curious whom ToffeeWeb readers would like to see be our captain? I'd like to see Arteta.
Carlos Alberto, CT, USA     Posted 07/11/2007 at 17:50:02

Comments

Graham Nolan
1   Posted 07/11/2007 at 21:40:20

Joseph Yobo
Dave Turner
2   Posted 07/11/2007 at 22:10:15

At the moment for me I would go for Tim Howard as Captain.

Think he has all the right attributes, second choice Tim Cahill..
Connor Rohrer
3   Posted 07/11/2007 at 22:13:14

Mikel Arteta and Tim Cahill wouldn’t be my choices. Cahill lacks the discipline and Arteta is not a leader so both are a no no. I wouldn’t have a problem with Tim as vice captain but that is it.

I’m not a fan of seeing goalkeepers given the captaincy as they are all ready captain of there defenders so I wouldn’t have Howard either. If Stubbs was ten years younger it would be him but at 36 he’s not getting any younger.

Yobo would be a shout. He’s calm, collected and leads by example but is he a leader. Neville is the captain anyway and to be honest I dont mind him being captain as long as he’s playing right back and away from our midfield.
Kevin Sparke
4   Posted 07/11/2007 at 22:21:44

Phil Neville, the guy is a complete professional and an excellent role model for the younger players and commands the respect of the other players.

Those of you who would seek to remove the armband from him explain why?

Steve Pendleton
5   Posted 07/11/2007 at 22:29:05

Are you for real Connor? Tim Cahill lacks discipline? I couldn’t have ever imagined Sir Alex not appointing Roy Keane as captain because he ocassionally loses it. Cahill exhibits all those qualities a manager would look for in a captain. Qualities such as passion, desire, team mates respect, and a bit of c@#t is what every good captain needs.

A good captain doesn’t always have to be calm. Sometimes Yobo needs a right old branding to pull his finger out in games. And it’s usually other players of Cahills ilk that could do it.
Berry McWilliam
6   Posted 07/11/2007 at 23:00:39

I disagree Steve, yes Tim would die for the club and does display some admirable "captain" qualities but he also is a bit full of himself, (justifiably) which i dont think washes off well in a captaincy role. Dont get me wrong, im an aussie and i love tim and what he does for EFC but for me a captain needs to be a bit more selfless, someone to look to when things are going bad and Phil fits that bill IMO.
Paul Ramsey
7   Posted 07/11/2007 at 23:51:02

Tim Cahill - The embodiement of an evertonian!
Martin Cutler
8   Posted 08/11/2007 at 00:13:43

If Neville were a better player than I’d have no problem with him being a captain.....failing that...Lescott.
Connor Rohrer
9   Posted 08/11/2007 at 00:31:10

Steve I think there is a big difference between Roy Keane and Tim Cahill. Both teammates and opponents where shit scared of Keane and that cannot be said the same of Cahill. Keane was also a very vocal player whereas Cahill isn’t.

Its just my personal opinion. Stubbs for me would be my captain if I was manager but sadly he is 36 and getting to the end of his career. As I’ve said Neville is captain under Moyes and I dont mind that as long as he stays away from the midfield.
Nick Veitch
10   Posted 08/11/2007 at 00:41:56

Berry mate, good to see you!!!
Roy coyne
11   Posted 08/11/2007 at 01:49:01

although I would like Cars to be captain I think long term Joe will be a great choice
Frank Warren
12   Posted 08/11/2007 at 03:22:00

Joe Calzaghe?

Hibbert for me, all the way - another Huyton lad!
Per Stumo
13   Posted 08/11/2007 at 06:34:53

Yobo

He seemed to get even better when he was appointed captain when Neville was out plus he’s captain of Nigeria so he’s obviously got what it takes.
Mike Whittaker
14   Posted 08/11/2007 at 08:29:11

Everyone talks about the Everton spirit and the fact there are no cliques or bad eggs in the group. The captain plays a large part in this, perhaps even more so than the manager. Therefore Neville must take the largest slice of praise for creating this. Neville at Right Back and Captain for me.
Michael Newton
15   Posted 08/11/2007 at 08:53:06

I like Yobo but I do not think he is vociferous enough to be captain.
Neville is obviously the best captain we have. I do not think there are too many candidates, Stubbs is now too old, perhaps Jagielka in a year or so.
Winston Zeddmore
16   Posted 08/11/2007 at 09:55:31

Alan Stubbs. He is still at the club is he not. Coming to the end of his playing career but i see him as a natural choice.

If that does not work out then maybe carsley. Also one of the everton "pensioners" but his desire and leadership abilities are second to none.
Seamus Murphy
17   Posted 08/11/2007 at 10:18:59

Cahill without doubt - he has passion, pride in being a blue (love his interviews!) and is one of our top players to boot. No contest for me.
Erik Dols
18   Posted 08/11/2007 at 10:42:13

Stubbs is the perfect captain - but he doesn’t play every game.

I’m actually pretty satisfied with Neville as captain. Face it, Moyes is going to play him no matter what. And although I sometimes doubt his footballing qualities, I’m one of the guys that thinks Phil has the capabilities of being a good captain.

Ben Howard
19   Posted 08/11/2007 at 10:39:09

Timmy Cahill for me. Just love the bloke. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is an inspiration to the other players. I also think that he’d find the responsibility an honour and we’d see even more from him. I don’t believe that Mikky needs the added pressure of captain and he’s not so vocal.
Ian Ankers
20   Posted 08/11/2007 at 11:21:08

I?m not a massive fan of Neville as a footballer, but I think his attributes as a captain are good. I?d rather him be voicing his captaincy from right back however! Stubbs is the only other real candidate for me, but he?s not likely to start every game.
Cahill isn?t all that vocal, but he does lead by example, he?s not obvious captain material. I think if Moyes is going to pick Neville every week, he?s the right man to be captain even if his ability as a player is questionable, you can?t question his ability to rally the troops.
Peter Venkman
21   Posted 08/11/2007 at 12:09:07

Why not yakubu as our team leader?

He would take pride in the fact of being the clubs first colored captain and it would also be an incentive to try harder and get at defenders a bit more.

Surely the captain of a team tries that little bit harder to motivate and rise above his co-workers .
Seamus Murphy
22   Posted 08/11/2007 at 12:16:24

Has Yobo not been captain on occasion Peter? And Super Kev?
Chris Masey
23   Posted 08/11/2007 at 12:13:52

Peter, I think I?ve heard it all now, Yakubu!!! Hahahahahahahaha, yeh why not, screw it, I?m sure it won?t upset the other players. This thread is a joke, Phil Neville is our captain and as long as he breathes he will be. Has anyone else won anywhere near the sort of hounours he has? Nope. His experience is why he is Captain. Get off his back please.
Allan Hobbs
24   Posted 08/11/2007 at 12:24:55

The terminology is borderline in here too!

Hibbo for President!
Chris Rowell
25   Posted 08/11/2007 at 13:10:07

A captain needs to be a first choice on the team sheet. Either in midfield or right back i dont think Phil Neville should be always in the starting eleven. Cahill would be perfect. Yobo is a good alternative.
Peter Venkman
26   Posted 08/11/2007 at 13:04:39

Yes seamus, of course. I was thinking about long ago and times before the recent past. There has not been an abundance of colored players at the club to choose from. -And besides im stuck in a horrible boring job with annoying consummate useless morons where i cannot think straight and toffeeweb is about my only salvation.

Regretably my company policy does not allow me to wander the halls with a flamethrower and take out my frustrations.

And mr masey, i merely making a suggestion. There may have been a element of fantasy about it, but one day he may well indeed wear that armband.

I have no qualms against phil as captain. David obviously saw fit that he was the man to lead the team into battle so more power to him.

And Mr Hobbs. Its simply not feasible that tony hibbert can be president. For a start hes not american, and secondly he is too intelligent to be running my country.

I presume you meant british prime minister.
Phil Jones
27   Posted 08/11/2007 at 13:36:28

Nice dig at Bush, Venkman. I likes... as a yank and a toffeeman, I’d have to agree with your assessment. Oh, and Neville is the man for the armband. Masey is right, he is long on experience, and short on ego. He leads effectively, and is an example to the kids. I like his style, and agree with the majority of opinion that as long as he’s at right back, we’re golden. Aside from him, I think Cahill ought to get a stab at the armband at some point. He isn’t the most vocal player, but I imagine he would become much more so if he were made captain. He is true blue, and the fans love him. Yobo is a bit too quiet.
Rory Slingo
28   Posted 08/11/2007 at 15:34:13

so Peter Venkman and Winston Zeddmore are Evertonians. guess that makes Rafa the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man!
Ben Condell
29   Posted 08/11/2007 at 19:25:20

I?d put Joseph Yobo as our captain.