Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Heads up, it's Krøldrup!

Per Krøldrup, it seems, has now mastered how to head the ball. Judging by this goal and another fine goal last night with his head in the demolition of Elfsborg, then it seems he has overcome his fear....!
Vick Stanley, Merseyside     Posted 09/11/2007 at 11:57:40

Comments

Mark Stone
1   Posted 09/11/2007 at 14:33:13

A lot of people still give Moyes shit for signing this bloke, but recently he has shown himself to be a quality player and demonstrated why Moyes took a chance on him. It’s a shame he couldn’t settle here - but din’t we recoup most of the money we spent on him anyway?
David Barks
2   Posted 09/11/2007 at 15:25:36

No Mark, this is a deal where we got it all wrong. We signed him for around 5 million I believe and only got about 2 million or 2.5 million back. Who knows what happened with this one but it was the classic definition of a transfer flop. Remember that he plays in Italy and the physicality there is nowhere near equal to that of the Prem. That seemed to be his problem. My only memory is of the game at Villa the day after Christmas when we got battered by 4 goals and he was terrible.
Mark Stone
3   Posted 09/11/2007 at 15:34:31

We got 3.4 million back for him so he was a gamble that cost 1.6 million (not a huge amount in this day and age)

Also isn’t the Italian game based around having a solid back 4?

He’s a proven player who didn’t adjust to the Premiership, or Everton - how many similar cases have there been before and since at a much higher cost? Notably by 3 of the top 4 clubs
Seamus Murphy
4   Posted 09/11/2007 at 15:52:23

I think we should get over this one!
David Barks
5   Posted 09/11/2007 at 16:00:34

Mark,

I wasn’t having a go at ya and I’m not one of those who think Moyes is crap at transfers. I was just saying that Per was probably his biggest mistake. The Italian league may be based on having a solid back 4, but that back 4 plays against a different style than we play in England. England is the most physical league, whereas the Italian league is much more open and much less physical. I didn’t realize we got 3.4 million for him, but that was still a very bad loss on a player we had for 5 months and hardly used. Doesn’t bother me any more though, I’m happy with our current back 4, but Lescott needs to keep his concentration a bit more. We’ve seen him make a couple of those glaring mistakes this season. He’s definitely made up for them, but if he makes that pass to Yobo against Chelsea Drogba will not have such a poor first touch.
Micky Norman
6   Posted 09/11/2007 at 16:25:11

My nan could have scored it!
Giani Morrelli
7   Posted 09/11/2007 at 16:41:22

Per never, ever had that so-called heading weakness.Anybody who follows Serie A will tell you that.He fell out with Moyes because he outright refused to belt it out of defence!End of.
Tony Williams
8   Posted 09/11/2007 at 17:21:34

Yeah Giani, that must be true because you used "end of" at the end of your sentence..........!!!

Give me strength
David Barks
9   Posted 09/11/2007 at 17:31:02

Right Giani, he instead chose to dither on the ball and let the Aston Villa player take it right off of him and score a goal. That’s the type of defending I like to see.
Dave Roberts
10   Posted 09/11/2007 at 17:44:18

Mark, Can you lend me £1.6m quid? Seeing as it’s not an awful lot of money in your view! I’ll pay you back as soon as I can.
Ed Casey
11   Posted 09/11/2007 at 17:51:06

According to the Times Per Kroldrup is the worst transfer in Prem history.

Which has got to make you laugh because according to the Observer the biggest waste of money ever was Big Dunc

Wheres Alex Nyarko when you need him?
David OBrien
12   Posted 09/11/2007 at 19:25:24

We will always sign players that just don’t do it for us. The difference between us and say Man Utd is that while they can spend 25m on an Argentinian midfielder or £7m on a Brazilian midfielder (who Moyes was after) and not really notice if thay are cak - we cannot. We signed Beattie for £6m several years after Utd signed Veron for £25m and we expected the world from him. Arteta - Loan, Yobo - Loan, Pienaar - Loan you do the Mathhhhhhhhhh