Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Our songs

Now I am not one to moan but just back from Germany and it was superb, but our songs are rubbish. When are we going to stop singing about Duncan Ferguson and Barry Horne? Good servants but not in the same league as some of our greats. I can't sing but someone out there must be able to come up with some better songs than the ones we are belting out now.
John Eligh, Jersey     Posted 10/11/2007 at 10:06:46

Comments

Conor Waters
1   Posted 10/11/2007 at 15:06:34

I travel to Goodison from Ireland at least 4 or 5 times a season and i’m always disappointed, not by the lack of songs but the longevity. Each chant that starts up barely lasts a full bar before being drowned out to silence. The best singing i’ve ever heard was at away games, particularly last season at White Hart Lane, where the blues fans were non-stop!
Mick Mac
2   Posted 10/11/2007 at 16:08:29

here we go here we go blah blah. That Barry Horn and Cantana song does my fucking head in
Teddy Draper
3   Posted 10/11/2007 at 16:08:26

John, have a look at our celebrity fans, there are numerous singer songwriters in there. Most of them have had no1s, albums or singles. Why not try and contact one or two and see what happens? Im pretty sure as true blues one of them will come up with something! COYB
David OBrien
4   Posted 10/11/2007 at 16:42:19

Try going to more away Matches - we are the best away fans by a mile. Old Trafford is like a morgue and they have had songs and certain banners banned!! We should try and incorporate Beatle songs with current players - I came up with a little Doors Gem - Riders on the Storm, Here comes Jamie Vaughan urm......can’t think of anymore. Or in the tune of Break on Through by the Doors..You know the blues destroy the shite, the shites players are gay, try to run try to hide, we’ll never give into the Dark side etc - see easy when you try.
Peter Pickle
5   Posted 10/11/2007 at 18:04:23

Tell me ma, me ma,
To put the champage on ice,
We’re going to City twice,
Tell me ma, me ma....etc

Reworking of an old classic.. love it.
Rob Lucas
6   Posted 10/11/2007 at 19:20:34

We need a "good tune" slow enough to follow and keep time to with suitable words. I’d like to use the song from Les Miserables called "Do You Hear The People Sing" My first stab at an EFC version goes,

DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING
SINGING THE SONGS OF EVERTON
WE ARE MARCHING ON TO GLORY
WE WILL NOT BE SLAVES AGAIN
WHEN THE BEATING OF YOUR HEARTS
ECHOES THE BEATING OF THE DRUMS
WE WILL STILL BE EVERTON WHEN TOMORROW COMES

Maybe another verse and we have a "hit" to beat the shite singing the "Fields song"
John Lloyd
7   Posted 10/11/2007 at 20:13:26

Get on a few away trips boys, thats where you hear all sorts of songs from over the years & some belters about the opposition, absolutly class. Hilarious
phil williams
8   Posted 10/11/2007 at 21:17:24

How about this to the tune of men of harlech(the welsh song).Makes the hairs stand up when they sing at rugby games.

Men of everton , onto glory
see our banners famed in story
hear these famous words before thee
everton shall not lose

from the ball rebounding
Hear our war cry sounding
Summon all
to moysees call
those hearty foes surrounding

men of everton unto glory
see our banners famed in story
hear these famous words before thee
EVERTON SHALL NOT LOSE...

Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 10/11/2007 at 21:32:13

Phil I’d love to hear that sung by a proper Welsh Male Choir it would sound brilliant - Fortress Goodison v the hordes, could watch Zulu over and over just for that song
Mike Kay
10   Posted 10/11/2007 at 23:05:48

Couldn’t agree more. Was in Nurnberg and their fans were excellent - sang throughout. Best one being when we went 1 - 0 up and they sing ’sing when your winning’ in English..class ! Our reportoire is, well, limited to say the least. We need a couple of designated singing areas where banners can be placed as well.
Jim Lloyd
11   Posted 10/11/2007 at 22:41:54

I think John has made a really good point here. We never seem to have got ourselves a real good anthem (or battle hymn).
Being an ould git, I can remember when we were probably the best team in England in the early to mid sixties and I can also remember, vividly the way the "Mersey Sound" took over the world. When Gerry Marsden brought out "You’ll never walk alone" we could have had that for our Battle Hymn. Instead, the red jessies took it up and we missed the boat. All through the sixties, they became world famous because they had linked themselves into the "Liverpool sound". Before then they had done f..k all but they let the tv cameras into their ground, while Harry Catterick wouldn’t let them into ours. So they got the world fame and we didn’t, though we should have done.
We’ve got Z cars and although it brings goose pimples out on us all, it is not a famous battle hymn. The tune is an old Liverpool folk song about a fellah who decides to leave Liverpool and look for his fortune. I’ll have a bet that at least 50% of our own fans aren’t aware of this, so the rest of the country/world, haven’t a bloody clue what it means. Lately we have found a bit of a battle hymn with "It’s a grand old team to play for". Although it’s good to get up and give it what for when we win, what do we sing when we’re down on our uppers?
We need a song that will inspire us when the chips are down. You here the red jessies sing there version of " he fields of Athan Rye (forgive the spelling!) they use the "Fields of Annie Road".
It’s a beautiful tune which those devil worshipping toerags have taken from Celtic to sing all over the bloody place. We could have taken it and used it as "The Fields of Gwladys Street" and it would stick in people’s minds.
I think that for bloody decades we have been looking for our own "Battle Hymn", which will identify us anywhere in the world as EVERTON, and that we are from Liverpool.
We’ve allowed those johnny come latelies to present themselves as "The" team form Liverpool.
It’s about time we got ourselves an anthem.
I’ll propose that we go with "Ferry across the Mersey". I know it was on the "B" side of that F’ing song but it’s about Liverpool people and what makes us tick. It says to the whole world, that we’re a Liverpool team and we will welcome people from all over the world.
Please don’t write in and dismiss the need for an anthem, it is one of the most fundamental ways to spread our identity.
Come up with a battle hymn and we will make the grand old lady bounce around the world!
Lue Glover
12   Posted 11/11/2007 at 09:06:12

Phil,
how about
’history only tells a story
we are here to see their glory
stand aside the Blues are coming
Everton is the name.’

I can’t imagine the GS singing something so Welsh but hey, you never know.

In the early 80’s I vaguely remember Wrexham FC having Men of Harlech as their Battle Cry and the words above is the only verse I can remember as I tend to sing it everytime I hear Men of H!
Steve Green, Southampton
13   Posted 12/11/2007 at 11:38:12

Jim Lloyd’s response to "Our songs" leads me to agree with him. You are right. You must be an ’ould git’.
Going on about RS adaptions and adoptions and feeling sorry for yourself.
Let them have it. Who cares. Certainly not ANY Blue I’ve ever known or spoken with.
As for a battle cry, if the first bars of the Johnny Todd sea shanty doesn’t fill you with enough spark to make you ready to ’ go over the top’ well, your’e supporting the wrong team son. And the rest of the shanty ALWAYS fills you with a feeling of "come on boys, job to do here" as well.
How about We Shall Not Be Moved. As an ’ould git’ you will surely have heard many a fine rendition of this anthem.
Forget who else may sing it as well. It means something to us.
If I remember correctly, the old Blueknowz CD incorporated in the Johnny Todd title the phrase ’Call To Arms’. Well Z Cars certainly has, does and always will make me feel that way.
Blue Battle Cries? Makes me wonder what battle your’e meant to be fighting lad !