Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Time to cash in...

Doing well in all competitions, plans afoot for a new stadium and financial outlook bright. So just the time to cash in, thinks Blue Bill. "Maybe I can turn a £70M profit like my good friend David Dein has done at Arsenal."

Don't tell me he's toting the Club around because "someone else could take it on to the next level." It's all about filling his arse pocket, that's why he's on MotD and filling pages in The Daily Express.

Unlike most Evertonians, I've never clamoured for a sell out because I'm mighty fearful of who we might finish up with. Mr Johnson casts a long shadow over Goodison for me.
Lawson  Tremayne, Southport     Posted 11/11/2007 at 23:31:11

Comments

Dan Parker
1   Posted 12/11/2007 at 04:19:23

What is he to do then - he’s damned if he sells, damned if he stays!
Chris James
2   Posted 12/11/2007 at 08:23:24

You’re absolutely right Bill, this is typical of yet another nonsense viewpoint from the anti-Kenwright / Billy Liar school. Although I do appreciate they’ve probably felt obliged to transfer their ire somewhere now that the over-rated tactically inept Moyes is temporarily not a credible target (when even Tony Marsh starts getting all optimistic, the nay-sayers now they’e on shaky ground).

For my money (which I’m more than happy to keep investing in match tickets, replica shirts and Everton TV subscriptions), Kenwright has done a pretty good job all told under difficult circumstances.

Sure our finances are still not 100% solid, but they’re better than they were and we’re considerably less indebted than the majority of the Prem (including the American-owned Man U and our neighbours).

He’s recruited a bloody good manager, backed him with cash when he could (and not knee-jerk reacted when we’ve done some yo-yoing as many on here would/still do call for), he’s brought in expertise (the similarly vilified Wyness) and even some investment (via his US chums) and all without taking much more than some publicity and a little credit.

Sure he’s made some errors and gone back on his statements when pressurised (should we really have kept an unhappy Rooney when his sale could and has underwritten a squad rebuild) but much of this is because he’s made impassioned statements in the first place and got involved as a genuine fan (how many other chairman do you see so much of?)

So what are we really looking for?
A corrupt Asian official, a franchise-making American who really loves soccer or a Russian oligarch desperate to get away from his country and launder some cash?
Or maybe we should be looking closer to home, I understand the likes of Peter Risdale and Freddie Shepheard may be available...
Chris James
3   Posted 12/11/2007 at 08:37:54

Err sorry, meant to say "you’re absolutely right Dan" of course. Must be a sign of my Kenwright brain-washing ;-)
Brian Noble
4   Posted 12/11/2007 at 09:06:32

Blimey! What a difference five wins and a draw can make to peoples’ perceptions.kenwright is still a tosser for me!
Garry
5   Posted 12/11/2007 at 09:58:29

Boys, can someone tell me what Blue Bill said on Motd. I heard he was on on a Sunday night but haven’t got a clue what he said!
Michael Rodgers
6   Posted 12/11/2007 at 11:15:29

At least Bill actually supports the club. I know I would rather have that than some yank who hasn?t a clue talking about franchise this franchise that. Tell me this what would you like Kenright to do? I see he is being criticised for trying to line his pockets. So if he doesn?t try and get investments he gets abuse for holding on to power but if he does raise the word investment he gets abuse for filling his pockets. Im confused lads which way do you want it?
Zac Morey
7   Posted 12/11/2007 at 12:43:15

Blue Bill is a god to thousands of Evertonians.He motgaged his house to save us from the evil Johnson,appointed one of the best managers in the club’s history and negotiated a deal for a new ground which any club would envy.
But what we love most about him is that he is in every way one of us!
Harry Meek
8   Posted 12/11/2007 at 13:45:41

Bountiful Bill only sticks his head above the parapet when things are going well.With two of his favourite ’angels’ cashing in recently -Ellis (£35M) and Dean (£70M) it’s natural that he feels tempted to follow suit. But he couldn’t possibly do it because he’s vowed to create a 20 year dynasty with David Moyes and he wouldn’t renage on a promise, would he?
Steve Hogan
9   Posted 12/11/2007 at 18:11:07

Boy are you bitter!

Allegedly,Kenwright borrowed £21m to buy Johnson’s share out.

Now if he sells his shares for a profit (dirty word) god forbid, he’s the worlds biggest bandit.

Get real, if I had £21m to invest and placed it in a building society at 6%p.a, then by my reckoning it would be worth around £31m eight years on, why should’nt the guy be able to sell on at a realistic price?

Would you expect to sell your house at the same price you paid for it 10 years ago?
Dave Southword
10   Posted 12/11/2007 at 20:23:13

I would not begrudge Bill a penny of any profit he made out of a successor owner if he were to sell.

He saved us from agent Johnson (I acknowledge he was on the board during PJ’s reign, but keep your friends close...).

He has brought in a CEO who recognises that to function as a football club you must also function as a business. Can you believe that we used to lose money on merchandising under Dumbford?

He has brought in a manager who has taken the club forward and he has had the courage to keep him when other chairman would’ve have panicked.

He put an estimated 85% of his wealth into Everton. Think about that. He takes no salary or dividend and pays for his own seat in the Director’s box.

Bill’s biggest fault is he doesn’t have enough money and the perception is he won’t sell the shares. Maybe he will and maybe he won’t. Perhaps he is waiting for the right man. Perhaps he is setting too high a standard for Everton’s future custodian. Perhaps he loves the train set too much and will lie (Fortress) and bluster (NTL) to keep it.

Whatever the truth is, he has earned his money because Everton is still here and is moving, however slowly, in the right direction (that’s is not to be inferred that Kirkby is the right drection - I was being metaphorical, not geographical).