Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Oh, ye of little faith

Now we haven't got a game for a while it might be a good time to look back at the summer with a bit of perspective. Many Blues were criticising the early lack of transfer activity and were frustrated that we didn't get our targets, while some of us thought that it was right that Moyes believed his targets were right at a certain price but not at any cost. As of today do any of Koumas, Richardson, Nugent, Smith or even (dangerous ground I know) Fernandes look good for the price we would have had to pay to get them ?

Although, I personally think we paid over the odds for Yak, you've got to say our manager knew what he was doing overall. Haven't you?
Chris Dottie, Barcelona     Posted 12/11/2007 at 17:04:41

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Depends who you believe, Chris. Moyes was apparently livid that he was given cash to spend so late in the window and I believe our recent run of form is all the more remarkable given the fact that we're still essentially "making do" in central midfield.

In my opinion, the results against the likes of Reading and Blackburn were a direct result of having a makeshift midfield and had we signed that one key missing ingredient before the window closed, we'd probably be higher up the table than 9th.

I've been critical of Moyes's transfer policy for being too cautious in the past but I think this time he knew what he needed but didn't get the backing until too late.

Neil McKinney
1   Posted 12/11/2007 at 19:25:38

I don’t know whether he did get the money too late or whether he just couldn’t close the deals. One thing’s for sure though, he better have his shit together for January because the money should still be there.

It’s only November, but a promising start could be forged into a landmark season for EFC with a wise purchase or two in the New Year. I must admit I like Moyes’s careful spending policy and the missed summer targets’ current form has vindicated him in some ways, but I think even DM knows he needs something special for midfield. The current form of the Toffees has done wonders for the club’s image, which will no doubt help when trying to attract some quality players.

Can’t help feeling a little smug that Nugent, Fernandes, Richardson etc, are struggling to get going. There’s some expensive shit there, thank god it’s someone else’s problem. Hopefully Moyes has higher ambitions this time round.
James Elworthy
2   Posted 12/11/2007 at 20:11:49

The four names you mention Koumas Richardson Smith and Nugent:
I am so glad we didnt sign any of them now.
Dave Roberts
3   Posted 12/11/2007 at 20:17:07

James,

Who mentioned Koumas? I think Koumas is surrounded by a bucketful of shite at Wigan and is hardly going to shine there. Further, I think he would have been a good player for Everton and a far better proposition than the similarly priced Jagielka. Koumas was the man of the match for me in Wigan’s recent game against Liverpool. He ran the midfield against some (at least supposedly) illustrious opponents. I think it was a mistake that Moyes didn’t sign him. Even if he didn’t start every game he would have been a useful creative option to employ, especially in the absence of Mikky. He has had some great games for Wales in the past.
Gavin Harris
4   Posted 12/11/2007 at 21:57:52

I agree with Dave, Koumas is a very good player and would have done well for us.
Al Quigley
5   Posted 12/11/2007 at 21:58:10

Dave,

Koumas would be a step backward in my opinion. He is at Wigan for a reason; no decent prem team wanted to risk millions on his erratic form and his suspect work rate. The Liverpool game is a classic case in point; a great game where he showed good skill, but since he hasnt matched that quality. Too many times ive watched Koumas, thinkin he is future blue potential, only to be disappointed by a Tony Grant/John Oster style performance. Personally i want players who perform away to Derby, Sunderland etc. rather than big time charlies who dont turn up twice in every five games. He would be nothing more than a squad player. We should go for Appiah, Van der Vaart, Diego from Weder Bremen...players who will take us far in Europe.

As for judging Koumas on his games for Wales, if we judged players on international performances their wouldnt be a question about Mcfadden...and we?d still have the likes of Bakayoko up front!
Connor Rohrer
6   Posted 12/11/2007 at 22:20:07

Koumas is actually having a good season in what is a very poor Wigan side. He was brilliant against Liverpool a few weeks ago and has put in a number of good performances. I there was a chance we could get him in January then I’d take it. He can play left, right and centre, excellent passing range and can go past players. At 27/28 he’s a late bloomer but he’d add quality without a doubt.

We know how good Fernandes is. The reason he’s not doing well is not down to his ability as he has had injury problems and doesn’t get on with Koeman due to something that happened at Benfica. I we could get him in January I’d be made up.

People are talking about presence but for me we need a midfielder who is going to retain possession, spray passes and create. People are only going on about a physical player because we fail to keep the ball so we have to try and be physical with our opposition.

I’d have a ball player over a physical powerhouse any day of the week.
Jay Harris
7   Posted 13/11/2007 at 00:32:01

Connor
I totally agree.
Look how Arteta holds on to the ball under severe pressure and sometimes 2 or 3 opposition players around him.
Another one like him with a bit more long passing ability and better in the tackle would be a dream and would also take the pressure off him.
WE can get a close look at Arsharvin or whatever his name is for Zenit when we play them (only thing is he doesnt speak Scottish or english so Moyes may be put off!!)
David Barks
8   Posted 13/11/2007 at 00:40:13

I would agree with all those rumored purchases except for Fernandes. I think that his struggles at Valencia are part of a bigger picture that include the teams struggles overall and his relationship with the new manager. If he was here I have no doubt we would be singing his praises. That said, I don’t feel sorry for him one bit. He was here, knew what he could have had here, and despite his representatives he is not a slave and could have said no to the Valencia move. He chose that route and now has to deal with it. But if he was available in January, which we should all know is not going to happen, I would take him back in a heart beat. We need that type of player in our midfield but I would still prefer Riquelme any day. I think we have the type of squad infrastructure now that makes us an attractive proposition for many talented players. A player like Riquelme but not necessarily him, can look at our squad and see that there is a lot of talent up front, in defense, a top keeper, and that they could be the one missing link in that midfield to make Everton a top team. It is known how good Arteta is, and Cahill, and Pienaar is starting to get recognized for his skill. There is just that 4th piece needed and I hope Moyes gets it in January.
Jason Siri
9   Posted 13/11/2007 at 03:05:54

Riquelme is never going to play for Villarreal again, he?s not even on the subs bench. Get him in January, that will ease the pressure off Arteta. I?m sure there will be a great chemistry between the two.
David Barks
10   Posted 13/11/2007 at 05:14:11

I’m telling you, Riquelme could be the answer and it is definitely possible we could get him. He and Arteta would be immense in that midfield together, he would not cost much as Villareal refuse to use him, so they have no bargaining power, and if we are still in Europe he is not Cup tied. This could actually happen and would be absolutely fantastic. Maybe we could exchange Van der Meyde??? That was a joke.
Richard Parker
11   Posted 13/11/2007 at 05:46:06

Neil McKinney - "something special for midfield".

We all know that Koumas, Richardson et al aren’t something special for our midfield.

I think Moyes got it about right, other than the Fernandes saga, which none of us can profess to know what exactly happened.

I think Pienaar has been a really good signing for us and prefer to have him over any of Koumas, Richardson, etc. His link up play has been good, he’s created a couple of important goals and he’s a very mobile threat. Even when he’s not on song he still looks for the ball and is a box-to-box player.

Gravesen was clearly brought in as a backup to the first XI, to be used in rotation, as an option way down the summer list of DM. But if you’d have told us 2 years ago, that we’d have Tommy on the bench, unable to get in the team, I think we’d have been pretty happy with that right?

I still think that had the money been available we wouldn’t have paid the asking price for the players above. And I’m glad we didn’t.