Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

First Trip to Goodison

I am a 19 year old from the United States and I will be making my first trip to Liverpool/Goodison park during the Christmas holiday. If all goes well in terms of purchasing tickets I plan on seeing my boys in blue take on Arsenal. Hoping for another stunner at the end it should be a heck of a game especially if Arsenal still hold the top spot.

I was curious if anyone had any tips on what to do while in Liverpool, especially on gameday. Any recommended pubs? Festivities? Traditions? Also what are everyone's preference in terms of seating at Goodison. All and all any suggestions on how to make my first trip to Goodison a memorable one would be appreciated. Thanks
Mark  Flehmer, United States, Wisconsin     Posted 13/11/2007 at 21:53:36

Comments

Caron Jôs
1   Posted 14/11/2007 at 02:36:41

I love to sit in the middle tier of the Main Stand. But thats where I’ve ever sat. Enjoy yourself. Nothing beats a great game with great atmosphere at Goodison Park.
Sunny Li
2   Posted 14/11/2007 at 02:56:12

Do join the stadium tour (operating weekdays except matchday). Dave Hickson is gorgeous.
Andy Hughes
3   Posted 14/11/2007 at 02:56:52

The first thing as you mentioned is to confirm your tickets. I would ring the box office rather than email them and tell them you are coming over specifically for this game, i did the same coming from australia and they made sure i was sorted.
For a one off game I would sit in the main stand, also make sure you ask if the seats are obstructed view (there’s a few at GP!)
When you’re in Liverpool if you’re a first time visitor, stay in the city centre, see the Albert Dock, Beatles museum, Matthew Street and if you get there a few days early try to get a tour of goodison (they do tours during the week). On matchday head for one of the many pubs on County Road to sample the local atmosphere!! enjoy!!
David Barks
4   Posted 14/11/2007 at 03:55:56

Make sure you get your tickets arranged. It is not the same system as buying tickets to a sporting even in the States. Also, definitely do the stadium tour ahead of the match. As mentioned Dave Hickson is an incredible man. My Grandfather took me on the stadium tour a few days before my match and was absolutely made up with talking to Hickson. I don’t think the two of them ever stopped talking, he’s just a genuine nice guy who as my Grandfather told me, would not hesitate to run full speed into the post to stop a goal form going in. You will get a true sense of what Everton means by talking to him. But overall, just enjoy the city, it is a fantastic place, I miss it more every day. Get to the pubs early before the game, wear your jersey and you will not be without a friend. I’m kind of jealous because I have just had to cancel my plans to come out and watch that very match, financial reasons. But one more thing. If you can, try to go to the away match at Boro a couple days later. Book a spot on the coach with the other traveling supporters and grab a few beers for the trip. There is nothing like singing for a few hours with a coach full of Blues on the way to watch Everton in an away match. Enjoy yourself mate, it will change your life, trust me.
Davin Janicki
5   Posted 14/11/2007 at 04:22:01

Hey there, I also share your passion for the Blues from the States (Boston). Thanks to FSC, Sentanta and EvertonTV I never miss a match! The Toffees have simply captured my heart.

I was fortunate enough to see my first match at Goodison this October against Boro. It was a trully incredible experience. Get there early and soak up the whole scene.

In terms of tickets, I ordered mine via the Everton website and even though I tried several times to contact EFC about how I would receive them (mail, will call, ect) I never did receive a response. Then one day there just showed up in my mailbox, about a week before the match. Glad I didnt leave any earlier than I did! I was expecting to pick them up at the park. So long story short, they will mail them to you and it works quite well.

Have a fantastic time! you are going to LOVE Liverpool. I?ve never met so many friendly people in my life!

Cheers
Peter Pridgeon
6   Posted 14/11/2007 at 06:54:39

One of the great traditions in English football that should be upheld by visitors is; on your first visit to the city for football, should buy everyone you see a drink you see in an Everton shirt.
Carl Griffiths
7   Posted 14/11/2007 at 07:53:26

Organise your tickets at the earliest opportunity, Evertons Box office is not the smoothest run organisation in the world!! Get around Goodison a few hours before the kick off and soak it up, get to one of the dozens of pubs around Goodison and have a ball, I know you will.
Good luck
Mick Mac
8   Posted 14/11/2007 at 08:09:51

Telephone the club and explain your comming from the USA to sort your ticket out, main stand for the view, but being 19 I would imagine you would like the Atmosphere of the lower Glawdys. For some good tips about the tourist side of Liverpool go to http://www.tripadvisor.com/
good luck
Steve Pendleton
9   Posted 14/11/2007 at 08:06:37

May bump into you Mark as I’m heading over to Goddison with my dad and brother for the Arsenal, Middlesbrough and Man City game. Glad you asked the question as I wasn’t sure how to go about getting tickets either.

I joined up with Evertonia and was planning to get the tickets online but I am worried that they might send the tickets out to Perth, Western Australia which is where I live. May go the box office suggestion of Andy Hughes and call confirm them.

Have a great trip mate and lets hope we have a win to make the atmosphere even more special.
Baloo Johnson
10   Posted 14/11/2007 at 08:58:56

If you are getting tickets for the main stand, the best thing to do when you are inside the ground is look out for a 6ft tall, slim, white chap wearing a blue Everton bobble hat and offer to by him a pint of Chang and an Eccles cake. This will only enhance your memorable day.
Mark Stone
11   Posted 14/11/2007 at 08:57:13

Get onto the bloke from Boston signing off with ’Cheers’

Timeless classic

Notably Davin, I’m a New England sports fan from Liverpool. We should do an exchange!!!

My first trip to Fenway was against the Yankees, and my first trip to Foxboro was against the Bears both 2003. Good times!
Damian Scott
12   Posted 14/11/2007 at 09:49:59

The main stand is good if you get a good seat without any obstructions, but I was in the Park End for the first time at the recent Merseyside derby and I thought there was great atmosphere in there... Also the view is the best in Goodison I think. No obstructions...

With regards to tickets, as the others have said, call them and tell them where you are travelling from and you can arrange to pick them up from the boxoffice on the day of the match!

Enjoy!
Matt Geraghty
13   Posted 14/11/2007 at 09:45:48

I agree with Mic Mack, if you want the ultimate Goodison experience, make sure you get seats in the lower Glawdys stand. At 2.58pm the Z cars tune will be played, the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up and you’ll hear a roar that you will NEVER forget!

Hope you have a great trip - enjoy.
Terry Maddock
14   Posted 14/11/2007 at 09:59:41

The best view is the Park End,The songs mainly come from the Gwladys St..Lower bullins is the warmest..Family Enclosure is great for close up Photo’s and the like..

As for pre and post match..The Albert docks got loads going on..The Beatles museum...Tate Gallery, Maritime museum etc..., all the pubs on County rd are buzzing after a win..

I also would reccomend Tess Rileys on Great Charlotte st, Friday nights or Sunday Afternoon..its Karaoke and its dead friendly...and the presenter is a guy called Davey Law..True Blue..spends most of his time ripping all the rednose’s to shreds...and its a lovely pint(and cheap)

#And you might get to hear the famous "marsbar " sing
Anto Doran
15   Posted 14/11/2007 at 11:09:46

Ive never being to Scouserland but believe one of the major traditions is to steel hub caps of sum cars and use them as frisbees ;)
Barry Lightfoot
16   Posted 14/11/2007 at 11:37:30

Sorry Anto it’s the capital of culture now we’ve all gone posh there are only cars with alloys, you have to be Arnie to play frisbee with them. Go and find your hub cap fun in Manchester.
Bri Hunt
17   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:03:27

Anto Doran - what are you doing on this site lad?
If you?ve never been to ?Scouserland?, you?ve been to see the Blues, so you?re no fan.
I?d like to see you come over and make comments like that down County Road.

I don?t understand 1) why you?re on thsi site and 2) how you can even imply you support the blues
Andrew Callan
18   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:09:23

You should do what the rest of us did on derby day:

Get up
Go the pub
Get pissed
Go the game
Get pissed off with the shite on the field
Go home
Reverse your car in to tree
Go to bed

Marvellous.
Anto Doran
19   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:10:02

Bri, eh did you lose your sense of humour or did you never have one??? I've never been to see Everton as I don't live anywere near there but it's a goal in life to see them play at Goodison, I think the ?real? supporters as you put it are people who actually are born and bred in a certain area and support their team but I do class myself a true football supporter, I support my own local team here in Ireland which are Bray Wanderers and as English footy has always being huge here in Ireland I chose to support Everton, perhaps you should be more welcoming to ?outside? supporters as you would be nowt without us.
Bri Hunt
20   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:28:00

How can we be more welcoming when you?re making anti-scouse jibes?
It?s because of ignorant people like you, who?ve never even been to the city that give us the sterotype that we cna?t get rid of.
If you?ve never even been here don?t make comments about the people.

Believe me anto, we?ve everything without you

Patty Beesley
21   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:31:19

Anton Doran...I?ve tangled with you before. I trust that your remarks re hubcaps and Scouseland was said tongue in cheek.

Wouldn?t come to the Pool with that attitude if I were you. The two things Scousers really hate is to be called "Scallies" and "Thick"... mind you, in some cases, it could be caused by the Irish ancestry that settled in Liverpool!!
Anto Doran
22   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:39:51

lol it was a fooking joke you sad twats ffs its good to see that Liverpoolians have no sense of humour whatsoever, do all people from Liverpool start up fights when someone calls them a NAME a scally?? PMSL! I can take care of myself so wont be bothered if some little shite cant take a joke :) Patty the only thick ancestry I am aware off are the scum who settled in the North of Ireland, were did they come from again? mind what you say about Irish history I dont take kindly to English belittling your neighbours
Lee Spargo
23   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:41:01

Take my advice and sit in the Upper Gwladys Street Stand. Top view, nice atmosphere. Just make sure you dont get an obstructed view! Alternatively, the Park End is good - you’ll get to see all the banter with the away fans. Get to the ground a couple of hours before kick-off to soak up the atmosphere in either the Winslow or the Spellow. Make sure you’re inside the ground at least 20 mins before kick-off. You wouldn’t want to miss z-cars.

In Liverpool, stay in the City Centre and go to the Albert Dock, there’s loads of shops, bars and restaurants as well as the Maritime Museum and the Beatles Museem. Take a trip on the ferry as well and admire the skyline. Do yourself a favour as well and go out into town in the night. You’re virtually guaranteed to score and the women are top notch.
Lee Spargo
24   Posted 14/11/2007 at 12:52:21

I’d fuck off if I were you Anto.

You just sound like a tit.

Bejesus.
Tommy Simpson
25   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:08:20

Anton you need to check the national statistics for crime by city and I am not sure were you are from but if its Manchester I am afraid you and Sunderland come top of the list for car crime and sex crimes so fuck of pedo car shark you are the worst PETTY criminals in the country as the yanks say PERIOD
Tony Green
26   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:10:03

Anto go and blow yourself up fucking terrorist
Alan Humphreys
27   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:04:42

Only on this site can an American lad asking for advice on his first visit to Liverpool (and Goodison in particular) end up with an Anglo-Irish kick off.

Enjoy the game Mark and safe journeys. You’ll be deaf after it and have no voice left (especially as you say if a young lad in blue belts in a late winner !!!)

I’m from Bromborough, not Boston, but Cheers all the same !
Anto Doran
28   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:40:00

I from Ireland Tommy a place were you can have a joke and take the piss and not have to be worried about being called a terrorist or any of the other names ive being called above! I love watching English football and have loads of friends that are english and never had any hubs caps nicked off my car by them but have being told that if I ever go see Everton to leave the hub caps at home!!! PMSL
Michael Kenrick
29   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:44:58

Anto... see what harm some "harmless" comments made in jest (read: ignorance) can cause? It is no little irony that while this nonsense is going on here, another thread has a serious discussion of racism that it may beneficial for you to read.

While I can accept that you made those stupid comments benignly, you are showing a remarklable ignorance of Liverpool culture by spouting that shite on a website like this. The best thing for you to do would be to appologise now, and do it graciously.

Thanks
Patty Beesley
30   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:51:16

Anton Doran....and I don?t take kindly to you belittling people from Northern Ireland particularly when I am second generation Scouse and my parents, grandparents and all who went before came from Belfast. Long live the Orange Order.
Anto Doran
31   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:53:05

sorry mate and I do apologise for offending any fellow supporters on here wasnt my intention, can t believe tho that slagging/joking about people in Liverpool steeling hub caps has lead to comments like that is not a reflection of Liverpool culture and me being called a terriost LOL get over youselfs already! Cork City in Ireland was European Capital of culture a few years back and forget the hubs caps the whole car would be taken if you left it there! I like to say that im in no way racist but the fact I cant even make a stupid joke about feckin hub caps without world war 3 breaking out says a lot about certain people viewing this website, anyone aged over TEN on here put your hand UP!
Chris Lawlor
32   Posted 14/11/2007 at 13:55:13

As a Cork man living in Manchester, I would like to point out that Anto here is a scally dub. Nothing wrong with Dubs in general, its just that all cities have their undesirables. Its a pity that this tit professes to supporting Everton as he sounds an ideal candidate for the other shower. As an Irish man and more importantly an Evertonian, I wish to disassociate all Irish and Northern Irish Blues from this cretin. That is all. COYB.
Chris Lawlor
33   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:06:51

Patty, are you by any chance a Rangers fan also? Just wondering like....
Anto Doran
34   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:12:13

good for you Patty for being loyal and proud to an organisation that has held back the island of Ireland ever since we gained our independene from Britain! I myself have no time for an organsation which has used religion and politics as a smoke screen for butchering innocent Irish people! Chris looks like mancehster has its undesirable since your there, im not a dub just very passionate about my country, obiviously leaving myself open for a hanging posting such stuff on here but what can you do
Michael Kenrick
35   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:21:44

Anto... I’ll tell you what you can do, and I’ll only tell you once more. Appologise graciously NOW, and then shut up. Coz all you are doing is digging a bigger and deeper hole for yourself. Go on, try it.
Anto Doran
36   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:26:15

I apologise for joking that you might get your hub caps stolen if ya go to Liverpool, please forgive me all I dont know how I could have said anything so belittling the people of Liverpool!
Michael Kenrick
37   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:35:36

Good lad, well done. The rest of you, please accept this and move on.

Thanks!
Patty Beesely
38   Posted 14/11/2007 at 15:31:35

Chris Lawlor - No I am not a Rangers fan - there is only one team,. the Toffees, as far as I am concerned and no room for any other.

Anton - the IRA comes from Northern Ireland then do they? If any organisation were murdering bastards, as you aptly called the O.L, its themk but don?t lets get into politics. We are all entitled to our views and we are getting further and further away from the main subject which is football. Surprised though that, as such a keen Evertonian, you have never made the journey across the Irish Sea to see the Blues - can?t you swim then?
John Lloyd
39   Posted 14/11/2007 at 15:53:30

Poor fella only wanted to sort a piss up. Cant you delete all them comments, no offence lads/lasses but all that scousers are scallys/irish terrorist/orange ira shite is bollocks. This is a gaff for Evertoninans to talk everton.

Mark Flehmer, the advice given above is pretty sound mate, on matchday work your way from the black horse on county road & work up to the ground taking in, orry?s, the queens, spellow & the wynslow before (half-pissed) getting into your seat handy enough to soak up atmosphere.

Then just pick a bunch of lads/fellas and tell em? where your from & your looking for a night out. If your lucky you?ll catch me & the lads and we would take you on a little jaunt round the town that night. Show you what its all about. Be safe & have a good one kidda.
Gary Kelly
40   Posted 14/11/2007 at 21:35:14

Anto Doran is not from dublin,he is from bray.its a little woolyback town in wicklow.we played there a few years ago ,won four nil. the town is actually quite famous amongst nonces and if the evening herald is to be believed,anto doran was ritually abused by the local sheriff for many years.he now spends his time nursing his ringpiece whilst posting garbage on the internet.
Colin Smith
41   Posted 14/11/2007 at 23:56:04

Mark, Re: tickets I?d call the box office as the tickets go on general sale, if you explain you?re from the states, I?m sure they?ll do their best to sort you out. As for where to go in the ground, everybody has their preferences, I usually go in the Top Balcony, its a bit like Subuteo if you?re the back of the stand, but its great for getting a view of the entire pitch.
Pub-wise, there are no bad ones & Albert Dock etc is well worth seeing.
I lived in New Jersey for 7 years & in terms of atmosphere nothing I experienced comes close to Goodison, when the the players run out to the Z Cars theme.
One minor point of "etiquette", in the USA fans seem to leave their seats while the game is being played to get food & drink. Doing this in the UK is likely to attract a little bit of verbal abuse, from anybody who has to move out of your way.

I hope you have a great day watching us stuff the ?Goonas?

Best Regards
DAVE REINER - CLIFTON, NJ
42   Posted 15/11/2007 at 21:48:32

Whaddya mean Colin, no atmosphere like it in NJ? Where else are all the sports franchises located in an inhospitable swamp or the middle of Newark (talk about car theft). Nothing like it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I fell into a puddle outside the Meadowlands & I have to scrub the corrosive acid off.
Colin Smith
43   Posted 15/11/2007 at 22:50:12

Hi Dave, Humble apologies, how could I possible forget the glories of watching sport at the Meadowlands. There is certainly nothing in the UK that can compare to it, with piss weak Bud/Miller Lite at $6 a shot and soggy pretzels. I’m more than happy to discuss this further over a pint of Cains/Guinness or 4 the next time you come over. All the best...