Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Errr..... I don't think you did!

Now I know that this stadium issue has been discussed / debated / argued at great lengths already, but can I just clarify one thing from all those who were eligible to vote.

Having just read Mr Wyness' comments on the icLiverpool site (see ToffeeWeb link) regarding the proposed move, he claims that the Everton Board have, I quote "gained a mandate from our own supporters to relocate to the area".

Now if I am mistaken forgive me, but wasn't the vote for a decision on whether or not EFC continued negotions with Tesco and Kirby Council about the proposed move, and ONLY that? None of this "mandate to relocate" that Wyness is spouting off.

I'm not trying to start an argument as to whether the move is right or not but surely the Board are now just twisting and manipulating things to suit their cause?
Lee Smith, Great Yarmouth     Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:16:42

Comments

Michael Kenrick
I guess they continued to negotiaite... and guess what: We ARE going to Kirkby!
Chris Taggart
1   Posted 14/11/2007 at 14:53:59

Is he not telling us something we already know, that unless something bloody spectacular happens Kirkby is our prefered destination

people voted for the board to explore the kirkby option further (with a view to moving there)

one the one hand the club can say they have a mandate to move as presumably they are not going to hold other votes at other milestones

and on the other hand we can argue semantics

I prefer to concentrate on the football and the next home game cant come too soon
Dave McKie
2   Posted 14/11/2007 at 15:21:06

Someone probably already posted this up.. but just incase..
Louis Huglin
3   Posted 14/11/2007 at 15:43:36

I hadn’t seen that video, ta for the link... but doesn’t it look shyte! Even in that slick, smooth generation it looks tacky, cheap and in no way befitting of the heritage and history Stubbsy talks about. And it ends on New Everton - wtf is that supposed to mean? I don’t want a ’new’ everton, I want the Everton I know and love to continue, at a worthy stadium. The Bestway offer will be ignored, I am sure, as Wyness has already proved categorically that Kirkby is, of course, the only option, and he has the overwhelming support of the fanbase.
Tony Marsh
4   Posted 14/11/2007 at 15:52:13

I wouldn't worry to much about this Kirkby move ever happening as this saga has a long way to run just yet. Apart from Knowsley council calling for a goverment inquiry there are rumours about that both Sefton Council and LLC are going to do the same. Both of these councils have their own agendas for doing so but even if its only the Knowsley Council who call this deal in then you can add at least 3 years to any time period for completion of a new ground.

EFC know all about these problems that lay ahead but have to carry on as normal untill told otherwise. It's going to be a long drawn-out and very messy situation the club will find itself in so they may well have to start searching for that Plan B they never had pretty sharpish. Kings Dock revisted?Well this is EFC we are talking about...

Gerard Madden
5   Posted 14/11/2007 at 17:02:15

I’m not sure whether anyone got a different ballot paper to what I got but there was a clear question - it went something like this;

’’Are you in favour of Everton Football Club relocating to Kirkby?’

I don’t think it could’ve been made clearer and thankfully only 28% of those who bothered to vote voted ’no’, only a couple o’ dozen were still angry enough to ’protest’ a few weeks later. I agree with Mr.Kenrick - WE ARE going to Kirkby!
Andy Mckenzie
6   Posted 14/11/2007 at 17:06:51

I agree with tony on this, theres no way kirkby will be ready by 2010, once it gets called in by the government the whole project will start falling apart bit by bit, Plan B here we come.

Also the new visuals of the ground are really poor once again, it looks more like Cheshire Oaks than a stadium!
Alan Rodgers
7   Posted 14/11/2007 at 16:56:49

Basically I agree with T Marsh ,Kirkby is far from a done deal. Hopefully the government will call it in and things will drag on. At what point would Tesco say we are not hanging about any longer and walk away ? Do Tesco need Everton ? I don’t think so.
Kevin Trustworthy
8   Posted 14/11/2007 at 17:18:51

Terry Tibbs
9   Posted 14/11/2007 at 17:24:06

Cheap looking video and a cheap looking stadium.
Thats what happens when you vote YES to ?exploring? the Kirkby move.

I?d love to see a similar video showing what a 55,000 stadium on the loop may look like though. I bet it would be much more eye catching -firstly because of its location
Jay Campbell
10   Posted 14/11/2007 at 18:07:19

Gerrard Madden, do you wash Wyness and Kenwright?s car?s window?s??? Maybe you walk their dogs or something like that coz you are so far up there arses it?s not true. The picture?s look fuckin awful and the stadium look?s fuckin awful and the location is fuckin awful. Can?t wait to be having this conversation with you in 10 years time when we?re sitting in a half-empty stadium in the outskirts and our bullshitting Chairman and his cronie Wyness are spending their retirement fortunes while having fucked off our 130+ year heritage!!!! They gave the vote to fans who have gorrra spare few quid. It was fixed all the way, end of!!!
Allan Hobbs
11   Posted 14/11/2007 at 18:32:46

I have to agree with the nay-sayers on this one; the video looks cheap and it doesn’t show the new ground in a very good light. I think EFC need to buck up if they’re going to get people onside. I’d still suggest that this IS going ahead though, whether we like it or not. Would they really be taking it this far if they weren’t pretty confident it was going to happen?
Gerard Madden
12   Posted 14/11/2007 at 18:31:17

Well a few people can whinge ’n whine as much as they want on small message boards and forums but when it mattered, when the ballot was on and thousands of season ticket holders and shareholders were given the vote.....well you know the rest. In addition when all the websites were promoting that ’protest’ including publicity for it on Radio Merseyside (not sure about City) and in the Echo/Post only a couple o’ dozen were angry enough to turn up. Those are the facts - the club simply has the overwhelming numbers of fans behind them on this and some people have to face up to it...
Paul Columb
13   Posted 14/11/2007 at 18:46:00

Overwhelming??? You’re having a laugh. As an Evertonian you’re a guardian of the club’s heritage, passed down to you by generations of those who took that role seriously. Don’t know what cloud your head’s in but this Kirkby thing, IF it goes through is a slow death sentance to the cit’ys first club. And, the stadium still looks on the par of pride park..........seems to have lost its lower level outside on the new stills; chipping away at an already shite design already. Get a grip lads. COYB
Dave Roberts
14   Posted 14/11/2007 at 18:42:14

Terry Tibbs

I?d like to see a video of a new stadium on the loop site as well because I have a fair idea of what it would look like. It would look like Tessy O?Shea bursting out her fucking corset and what a disconcerting sight that would be!

As for the scheme being called in by the Government, my guess is it won?t. This MP is just letting it be ?known? that he is ?bearing his constituents concerns in mind?. Just as they all do before schemes like this get the nod.

My other guess is that while Kirkby residents who live on the doorstep of the development may have serious reservations (quite reasonably) most of those who live any more than a half mile away will not share those concerns and many may actually look forward to it. In fact, most of the comments I have heard from Kirkby residents on Radio Merseyside have been supportive of the development.

As far as how the stadium looks on the video....for those who despise the idea of moving to Kirkby in any circumstances then ANY design, for them, is going to be shit. My view is that it would be a traditional stadium, just like we are used to, with scope for further development including an increased capacity if we ever needed it. It looks OK to me, better than the overturned sledge that is soon to appear on Stanley Park. I agree with one thing though, Everton should be pulling their finger out and giving us more details of the finer points of the design. But remember, this video was not intended for Evertonians as such, that mandate is in place, it was targetted mainly at Kirkby residents for many of whom Everton may not be a priority.

Dave Wilson
15   Posted 14/11/2007 at 19:08:07

Madden

Trust me, Everton will never, ever go to Kirkby, not next year, not the year after, not in 5 years, not fucking ever! ! !
You?ll be squealing - again - that you're being picked on before the nights out, stop regurgitating the same fucking babble.
Allan Hobbs
16   Posted 14/11/2007 at 19:37:52

Without this turning into a slagging match - Dave, why d’you say we’ll never go to Kirkby? I’m on the fence about the move these days, but I can’t help feeling that the way things are going, we will move to Kirkby.
Phill Everton
17   Posted 14/11/2007 at 20:06:58

Fookin’ ell on the one hand you got the boys winning games and showing glimpses of joined up footy. But if you need bringing back down to earth then that vid does the trick. Ive gotta say, I am absolutely gutted.
Allan Hobbs
18   Posted 14/11/2007 at 20:51:48

Look at the links on the Official Site - they take you to the actual designers website which is alot better.
Jay Campbell
19   Posted 14/11/2007 at 22:05:11

Madden

15000 fans is the vast majority of Everton fans is it???

There is well in excess of ten times that amount in the UK alone!!!

Get your head out of the clouds man!!!

The vote was fuckin rigged there’s nothing more certain!!!!
Phil Green
20   Posted 15/11/2007 at 10:48:45

Oh my god are you sad bastards still moaning about this!!

The vote was rigged, get a grip will ya. The fact is the majority of Everton fans eligible to vote who bothered to vote, voted ?yes?.

In response to Kevin Trustworthy -

??Gerard...well said! I can promise you that you?ll have plenty of elbow room and lots of space to yourself within 2 years of the move. AND it?ll be an unobstructed view. ??

Kevin you make that comment like you want it to happen. If fans like you that make me utterly sick, you?re a fuckin disgrace!!!
Kevin Trustworthy
21   Posted 15/11/2007 at 11:55:41

Phil
There are lots of things I didn?t want to happen but that didn?t stop me foreseeing them. I?ll give you a wave from the Checkout End (or the Alt End, if that?s where the home support will be)
Jay Campbell
22   Posted 15/11/2007 at 13:25:26

Phil Green you need to get a grip and quick!!! We were had off ? end of fuckin story.
Paul Gaffney
23   Posted 15/11/2007 at 13:31:51

I went to Kirkby this morning to see the Tesco exhibition and picked up the "Destination Kirkby" brochure.Various Tesco suits and the master of spin, Ian Ross were there to answer any questions about the propsed development. Sadly no one could answer my question as to why after spending a small fortune on glitzy promotional vids, the "world-class" stadium looks like a cheap, nasty, pre-fabicrated shack stuck on a retail park on the outskirts of a big city.Destination doom more like.