Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Don't forget Pienaar

icliverpool states 'Everton fear they may lose a trio of influential stars for this winter?s African Nations Cup tournament, after Nigeria boss Berti Vogts watched Everton twice in 72 hours last weekend'

Trio? ? The Yak, Yobo and Anichebe obviously.... have they forgotten Pienaar will go as well?

How will we replace them if they all go? AJ for the Yak, Stubbs for Yobo (or Jags), Vaughan for Anichebe (if fit) and Gravesen for Pienaar (surely not Shandy)?
Rich Williams, Danbury, USA     Posted 14/11/2007 at 17:49:21

Comments

Mike Hayes
1   Posted 14/11/2007 at 19:43:25

I think its about time the Shandy Andy tag was dropped. I spoke to the guy some months ago and he has had his fair share of problems with his private life particularly the problems with his new born daughter who spent her first months of life in hospital. So what if he does play he’s got a lot to offer.
Stig Meacham
2   Posted 14/11/2007 at 19:53:06

Good post and good points, Rich. And good response, too, Mike.

I worried here online for at least a couple of reasons about the Yak signing (I’m quite happily being proven wrong on the work-ethic issue!), but the ACoN was also a worry. Pienaar is almost our ever-present this year, isn’t he? Getting better with every week.

And Mike, well taken about Andy. Maybe we should get off his back? Who of us wouldn’t spend their waking hours with their ill daughter in hospital? It’s not a good situation for us as his employer, but how horrid must this be for his family? I think we all definitely stand for him! Hope he’s ready when he’s ready. By all accounts he’s a popular guy in the squad, and he also is a good guy in the community.
Stuart Mitchell
3   Posted 14/11/2007 at 21:22:29

So we have replacements for the 4 players leaving for African Nations Duty.

But what if a few of them get injured, then we are truly in big probs.

I am sure Moyes will look to bring some people in at the start of the transfer window, maybe a few loans and one permanent transfer (money still there from Fernandes deal).

Dave McKie
4   Posted 14/11/2007 at 21:50:39

Speaking of injuries has any body heard about Arteta already being doubtful for the sunderland game?
"Arteta unlikely to take on Black Cats
Everton physio Mick Rathbone has revealed Mikel Arteta is already a doubt for the home clash with Sunderland in two weeks time"
Mark Pendleton
5   Posted 14/11/2007 at 22:37:28

AvdM has my sympathy for the problems with his daughter but prior to that he?s got himself in trouble time and time again. I think the shandy tag was affectionate at first rather than derogatory but he proved it right in another way. Many people go through adversity in life and come through with a lot more credit.
Stuart Mitchell
6   Posted 14/11/2007 at 22:59:18

Arteta has a nasty groin strain, played injured during the 2nd half against Nurenberg (maybe explains the poor deadballs).

I think the international break has come at a good time, give him to time to rest. I believe they are going to check his injury again before the Sunderland game, but I doubt he will be risked. Will have to just keep checking for updates.
Roy Coyne
7   Posted 14/11/2007 at 23:49:53

Hopefully we can strengthen the squad and get through it Moyes must have some idea of what hes going to do as this was not a suprise and as for Andy my heart goes out to him over his child ,but hes had enough chances and if it was possible to sack him without having to give him a wad of cash that would suit me
Alex Prendeghast
8   Posted 15/11/2007 at 01:08:46

This link to an icliverpool story says Yobo has a broken toe, although I have not heard this elsewhere or how serious it is.
Greame Robertson
9   Posted 15/11/2007 at 01:14:34

I thought he was called Shandy Andy because he spent all his time in bars? And, I really did think that too.
Bri Hunt
10   Posted 15/11/2007 at 11:22:06

Shandy Andy is a waster and cost us the opportunity to have 1 or 2 other decent players at the club.

He?s been a huge freeloader who we should have got rid of in the Summer.

With regards to the African Nations, we will probably bring in a player or 2 with the Fernandes money. In fact, i hope it is Fernandes.
Bri Hunt
11   Posted 15/11/2007 at 13:46:29

Mike McKenrick - who is Bri Hunt?

I?m Bri but you keeping adding Hunt to all of my posts? What?s the reason for this?
Michael Kenrick
12   Posted 15/11/2007 at 13:48:41

Bri, what does it say on the form below?

Your Full Name First and Last names, please.

If you can?t oblige then I will. Simple as.
Joe Collins
13   Posted 15/11/2007 at 15:33:24

Bri Hunt - who is Mike McKenrick?
Bri Hunt
14   Posted 15/11/2007 at 16:14:44

Simple as? So you make up surnames if someone hasn?t stated it?
I didn?t realise I was applying for a bank account when simply posting a message and putting a surname is a binding requirement.

My surname isn?t and I have never claimed it to be ?Hunt?. So how is that simple then?

Michael Kenrick
15   Posted 15/11/2007 at 20:10:10

It’s up to you. If you want to continue to post, you provide a surname. It’s all about taking responsibility for what you post on this website.

Thanks