Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Will I still be an Evertonian?

Many months ago, I vowed that the day Everton left the city of my birth I would stop supporting them.

Now I know that many will see that as narrow minded,short sighted or just plain cussed but I made the vow and I will stick to it. Mrs Isherwood says the only person it will hurt is me ? and she`s probably right about that ? but I could not in all conscience be part of an organisation that sold its soul for commercial expediency.

I earnestly believe that 95% of the "yes" voters if they had to be honest KNOW this move is morally wrong. But what price morals in today's world?

OK, I`ll still listen out for the score and no doubt get drawn into discussion in the alehouse but does that still qualify me as an Evertonian? When you've missed no more than a dozen home games in forty-odd years, it doesn't fit right but like marriage and old age, I guess I`ll get used to it. Does anybody else feel the same?

Derek Isherwood, Childwall     Posted 17/11/2007 at 13:55:27

Comments

Stefan Tosev
1   Posted 17/11/2007 at 17:49:40

A bit over the top me think
John
2   Posted 17/11/2007 at 17:56:35

Jesus derek get over yourself its just a game and goodison is just a building. All this spiritual/mythical crap really does my head in - as I’ve said in aother post protets by all means - in fact i would encourage it but if you really think Kirkby is about good v evil then you need to get out more
Paul Grisdale
3   Posted 17/11/2007 at 17:57:35

Completely agree. I won’t set foot in this flat pack on a retail park. I will take the kids to Goodison before it goes and that’s it for me.

Rich Jones
4   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:05:02

Absoluntly agree im having no part in this and ile be there to remind the maddox’s of this world, who gave Kenwright the go ahead for this self distruction road we’re taking.
Connor Rohrer
5   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:14:11

Poor in my opinion. I’m completely against Kirkby but at the end of the day Everton is Everton. The club I love and nothing pleases me more than going to watch the blues play.

It will be hard to leave Goodison and I will never cherish this new ground but I wont stop sopporting. Everton is in my heart and its in my soul and nothing will get in the way of that.

I personally vey much doubt Derek will stop supporting Everton. That for me is to hard for a fan to do but its just my opinion.
John Owens
6   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:14:13

Derek

Get real. Being an Everton supporter is more important than life itself.

The success of the team and the fabulous supporters we have are what made Goodison the place we all love. We can do that again wherever the new stadium is.
Andy Mckenzie
7   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:19:05

derek you won’t be a lesser evertonian if you stop going to watch them at home, the fact that people will stop going is a sad, sad state of affairs, and your not the only person who’s uttered them words either.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:28:41

Someone posted a similar item some time ago think it was during or just after the vote result and got similar responses but I stand with mine from back then. You basically pay your own money to go, if your principles are that strong to want to continue your protest by not stepping foot in something which has and will affect you so much then that is your own personal choice. It will make you no lesser a person as you had the backbone to stand by your convictions. I know many supporters who won’t go to Kirkby but will go to away games, they wont be less Evertonian they are simply continuing to vote against the current regime in a way which they see fit.
Paul Okell
9   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:36:48

I will watch Everton whether the stadium is in Kirkby, Liverpool, Widnes or Timbucto as I am an Evertonian above all else and irrespective of where the Evertonian hierarchy build our stadium I will be there whether I like it or not.
I am not pro Kirkby I would prefer to stay within the Liverpool boundary but the Everton blood in my veins will keep me watching the club I have supported all my life.
Bri L
10   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:40:56

Each to their own Derek.

You’re not on your own feeling like that.

I voted against the move but will continue to go.

I’m still praying that the Kirkby doesn’t happen. It’s by no means done and dusted.
jayharris
11   Posted 17/11/2007 at 18:56:52

Totally agree and support the guys who want to vote with their feet.They are obviously feel the future of the club is being sold out for the present.For my part I do not trust Kenwright or Wyness. Even if they are not corrupt they are certainly not competent to handle a project of this scale.Most board would have a plan B and C but this crowd just want to railroad us into the first easy choice.I will not stop watching the blues (I have since 1960)but I have to say I totally disagree with a Tesco Extension in Kirkby!!! NSNO
Sean Rothwell
12   Posted 17/11/2007 at 19:07:50

I cannot understand people who say they will not set foot inside OUR new home. By all means suggest alternative sites and voice your concerns, but to severe yourself from the Club you say you’ve ardently supported for over 40 years just because we are moving four miles up the road is just plain stupid. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.!
Dave Wilson
13   Posted 17/11/2007 at 19:12:30

Derek

been watching for 40 odd years too, I’m with you and though it would break my heart, I wouldnt go to Kirkby either, but if you listen carefully there are very definite rumblings of regret and a genuine concern by some ardent yes voters, its becoming increasingly obvious to them that they have clearly been mislead,
Kirkby ? cant happpen, wont happen.
Paul Heery
14   Posted 17/11/2007 at 19:40:00

Morally wrong? That’s the problem with this debate, ’no’ voters can’t accept that other people have the right to a different opinion without being corrupt or ’morally wrong’. There’s plenty of us who’ve been supporting Everton for forty-odd years and will carry on supporting them, no matter what. Didn’t we move once before? We all know what happened to the ’no’ voters then, they ended up as kopites.If thIs is really how you feel, then stop supporting them then.
Alex Naylor
15   Posted 17/11/2007 at 20:01:51

Come on England!!!!!! Great result tonight for the boys!!
tom morris
16   Posted 17/11/2007 at 20:08:14

Dear oh dear.

Morally wrong ! Get over yourself man.

Pathetic.
george fulton
17   Posted 17/11/2007 at 19:50:06

sorry derek but i think your missus is right. i just think that wherever we do move that us evertonians will make it our home,cos we are the people. gods chosen few! come on you blue boys
Dave wilson
18   Posted 17/11/2007 at 20:00:40

Paul Heery

I didnt claim it was morally wrong, just stated my position, thats all, sorry to disappoint you but I’ll be staying around to fight this all the way, who do you think you are ?
If its insults you want to trade go down the alehouse, just because your prepared to take the first offer to come along, doesnt mean the rest of us shouldnt fight for something better , by the way, if you know your history - which you obviously dont there wasnt a poll last time we moved
James
run along now theres a good chap this ones for grown ups
Paul Heery
19   Posted 17/11/2007 at 20:31:33

Hang on - didn’t claim it was morally wrong? Maybe you didn’t, Dave but they’re the words that Derek used. I don’t object to you staying around to fight it, that’s your right, what I’m objecting to is when something is described as morally wrong, just because it’s a different opinion. Derek’s got every right to say he’s not going to go and support Everton any more if they move - I personally just can’t understand that because to me Everton is more than just where they play. I don’t think ’no’ voters are mugs or lesser supporters than I am just because I don’t agree with them, (although James obviously does!)
Paul Murphy
20   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:00:32

An Evertonian supports Everton through good times and bad. The Kirkby move will be a bad time, but it is up to us to ensure that it does not kill Everton Football Club
Bri L
21   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:05:41

Well said Paul
Ray Robinson
22   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:04:54

I have been watching the Blues for 46 years now and I’m not happy about the Kirkby move but when the club ups sticks, I HAVE to go too. There is no other choice for me - it’s genetically imprinted.
David Hayes
23   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:08:41

How the fuck could anybody stop supporting their team because they moved slightly out of the city, It’s not asthough we are re-locating to a completley different city like many american football teams have done, we are slightly out of the city. A few years ago Kirkby was once known as one of the roughest parts of ’Liverpool’ and all people from Kirkby are still branded as scouscers (you know the people from Liverpool). Everton are Everton and any true supporter should continue supporting them, even if it is "further away" and "harder to get to". All these people who are even considering to stop supporting their team, get a grip of yourselves.
George Kief
24   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:28:09

Well said Derek! Everton belongs to Liverpool and Kenwright &Co are selling us out. I’m praying it wont happen but if it does you’ll not get me putting money in the pockets of these lying,cheating bastards.As soon as the move is made,they’ll sell out and cash in.They wont do that with my hard earned,I tell you.
Matthew
25   Posted 17/11/2007 at 21:20:17

Hey, you’re still an Evertonian if you are looking out for the results and thinking and talking about the club. I live 270 miles away from Goodison, in a relationship, have 3 children, another on the way and huge debts, but does that not make me an Evertonian because I can’t financially afford to go to every game? Apart from my family, Everton is the next biggest thing in my life and always will be. I think about the club in some way for the majority of the time I’m awake and admit probably obsessed with Everton.

Players come and go, managers come and go, chairmen come and go, stadiums come and go and even fans come and go but Everton will always be there and if you are a true fan you will still support the club, even if it means just looking out for the result and hoping they win.

A similar thing happened at my hometown club Brighton several years ago. Then chairman tried to ruin the club and sold the stadium and made them share Gillingham’s ground 150 miles away, (least Kirkby is only one mile away, for all those moaning ’supporters’ try travelling 150 miles!), but the club came through it after 3 years in Gillingham, the fans ousted the chairman and got them moved back to Brighton, if only an old run down athletics track just to get them back into the city! Now after ten years without a proper ground, they have finally got planning permission to build on the outskirts.

Therefore all Everton fans complaining about moving to Kirkby think how lucky you are and that it could be worse:

1. You have a club
2. You don’t travel 150 miles to watch your hometown club groundshare
3. You don’t travel 270 (540 miles round trip!) to watch your favourite team. Most of you complaining fans actually live in Liverpool!
4. There are worse things in life but Everton will always live on, so you might as well get behind them and support them.

C O Y B
Greg Murphy
26   Posted 17/11/2007 at 22:02:12

A brave stance, Derek, which I applaud. It?s just not good enough for fellow Blues to slag you - or anyone - for not going to Kirkby.

I say that the reason you feel you can?t go to Kirkby paradoxically underscores just how much of a Blue you are. I?ve done my own soul-searching on this one. I?m utterly gutted about the whole Kirkby thing.

But I?ve made my decision. I?m gonna go. Not bothering with a season ticket, though. And I?ll stick it out up a certain point. That limit will be if - or when - I start to really sense that it?s not ?my Everton? any longer.

Once I get a whiff that we really have surrendered our heritage, class, dignity, style and pride - which are all the Evertonian qualities that I believe transcend the players on the pitch (they are merely passing employees), the shirts (they change every year anyway), the badge even - then I?ll be off.

If, however, I sense that the unique heritage, class, dignity, style and pride of Evertonia is still somehow intact at Kirkby then I?ll stick around and plump for a season ticket. And life.

It could be anything that clinches it for me, either one way or the other. For instance if I find that in order to fill the place we?re allowing the likes of the RS, Utd, Toon etc some two or three times their allocation then I?ll jib it. If I find that there?s just no X-factor about the place then I?ll jib.

Conversely, if I happily discover that the spirit of Evertonia is so durable and it really starts to look like we could even move to the moon and it would still look like, smell like, feel like Everton then I?ll sign up for the rest of my natural.

It all depends on fans? very personal convictions about what Everton means to them, or what they believe Everton is.

People are right when they say that Everton isn?t a ground. By the same token, though, it ain?t the players either. It ain?t the Blue of the shirts. It?s not the badge. It?s something totally indefinable - probably very personal - and I fear we?ll only sense what it is / was when it?s gone.

Stick to your guns, Derek. You don?t deserve a slaggin - coz this ain?t your fault.
Bryan Mulrooney
27   Posted 17/11/2007 at 23:02:07

I’m not, not, NOT, going to visit Kirby week in and week out. Oh, i’ve got nothing against the new stadium, Tesco’s or even against Mrs Kenwrights little boy...oh, no, I live in Australia, y’see. Everton is, and will always be, EVERTON no matter where we kick our balls. Bryblue
Dave Southword
28   Posted 17/11/2007 at 23:33:10

All the people who say they will not go to the new stadium as a point of principle are playing a dangerous game. It might be worth it for you personally so when we are struggling because we can’t get 30,000+ you can come on here and say "I told you so".

Look, have your opinions. Campaign for what you believe in. Try to change the club’s mind if you think they are wrong. At the end of the day, if we do move, it is the fans who will make it work or not. If we can pack out the stadium then we might just start the ball rolling on something special. If you stay away you are not hurting BK, or KW - they will be dead and gone one day. You will hurt the club.
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 18/11/2007 at 01:00:05

Unfortunately Dave Southward the only way many see to influence the blinkered BK and KW is to cripple their flawed business plan by removing bums on seats, how hollow will a 50k stadium look and sound with an average attendence of 30k? The only people making money from this deal are BK and KW as majority shareholder and CEO running his own business and open to obtain his own privately negotiated bonus no matter what pish Neil Pearse would have you think a businessman that wouldn’s do a tap unless it paid him to. Any individual allowed to run as multiple entities in a business venture would obviously claim the biggest payouts available; as CEO of Everton and as private company facilitator of the deal. Unless of course Neil wants to try to serve me a writ for slander or defamation of character for KW which would finally explain his continuing defence of KW.
Paul Murphy
30   Posted 18/11/2007 at 03:13:44

At the end of the day im a blue and i will support Everton no matter what. I would like to think all other ’blues’ would do the same. I don’t support the Kirkby move, i voted NO, but if it happens i shall still attend because i love Everton Football Club regardless of where they play
tony cornmell
31   Posted 18/11/2007 at 06:58:41

Derek I’ve lived 20 odd years in in oz.Before the days of sky on a saturday night mostly 12o’clock i’d drive to higher locations in my area to get a better reception on the car radio just to here how the boys were doing.this year I arrived 6-30am in London on a 26hr flight got ticket went to Reading game then couple of weeks later came over from Ireland in time to see Bolton game.My son now lives in London but has season ticket for blues what I’m trying to tell you is that it’s in your blood and although you are pissed off now you will go to Kirby or where ever because the hurt you are feeling is because you love them and your blood is blue and will forever be so!
Alan Ryder
32   Posted 18/11/2007 at 08:03:46

See yer, Derek.
Lue Glover
33   Posted 18/11/2007 at 09:13:47

If someone wanted to split the club down the middle and start to destroy the backbone of the support, they couldnt have done a better job.
The stadium issue is no longer a debate where we can all air our views, it’s getting completely polarised with people almost having to take sides. Blue against Blue.
I am dreading the day we leave Goodison, even if it were for a new stadium half a mile away. We all have our reasons for wanting to stay at GP, nostalgia, history, the atmosphere or whatever.
A few weeks ago I had to go to Goodison to sort out a problem with my seat. I had to go into the ground to choose another seat. The place looked impressive even when it was empty but WE are what makes the place special. The sound of OUR voices, OUR singing, OUR presence.
Before travelling back home I walked all the way around the ground, the place was deserted, not a soul to be seen. Match days, well, the place is buzzing, those terraced houses are part of the picture that is the Grand Old Lady.
Take all of those pictures away and you’ve still got US, the people who follow and support their team.
Goodison and the surrounding area is the canvas and we are the colours that create that something which is very special.
I don’t want to go to Kirkby, I don’t really want to move from what has been familiar to me for 40+ years but I WILL be moving with my team because I couldnt possibly not go. No matter how cheated I may feel by the behaviour of the Board etc, I can’t and won’t give up on my team.
I’m not from Liverpool so I can’t possibly understand what the word Kirkby means to so many people and why it means the end of their support for the club but I can understand the feeling of being shafted by the Board. Year in, year out, something else happens to destroy what little faith we may or may not have had in our ’leaders’.
How can we ever believe that their intentions are honourable?
There’s still plenty of water to go under the bridge but whichever way it goes, call me whatever you want, I’ll still be there.

Paul Gladwell
34   Posted 18/11/2007 at 10:59:27

If someone wants to take this stance then so be it , who are you people to say he is not a real blue ?
As for those who state I will watch everton anywhere, good on you too but dont harp this shite that Goodison is not Everton and it dont matter where we play as it fucking does , Dont give me shit that 115 years of playing at the old lady means fuck all to what Everton is all about, picture the fast show- lads on clocks, arches behind goals criss cross metalwork mmmm
What will they say for the new ground ?
I will give Kirkby a chance but I am terified at the very real possibility of turning up and seeing something that is not Everton and saying this is it for me and I am sure there are thousands more with the same worry.
If they sat down with supporters and spoke about what we wanted for this ground then it would certainly help but the fact is they wont , the midweel video proves that.
Rob Jones
35   Posted 18/11/2007 at 12:38:53

greg how can you say its not right for fans with financial sense to slag KEIOC supporters off, what do you think they’ve been doing to us since the stadium debate opened up, we’ve had insult after insult thrown at us because we DO want to go to Kirkby, we are the peoples club so pull together and go with your head not your heart, don’t rip this legendary club apart with bitching and sniping.
Jimmy Fearns
36   Posted 18/11/2007 at 13:01:58

I did not know until now just how many wankers we have amongst us blues until reading some of the responses to Dereks post.This guy is a true evertoinan just accept his opinion , theres more of him out there than you think..
John Bapper
37   Posted 18/11/2007 at 16:38:37

Derek, its 4 miles or so outside of ?liverpool?.
Roy coyne
38   Posted 18/11/2007 at 22:22:16

Derek like you I said once we move thats it,But then after going to goodison for 50 years how would I spend match days ,glued to sky tv for latest scores,gardening or even shopping with the mrs no Im was beening silly I will be there not happy and hating Kenwright till the day I die for moving us to a second rate ground the only thing I wont do is spend any extra cash at the ground no drinks ect as Kenwright is only going to get my entrance fee at present I do spend a few extra pounds also I dont think we will fill the ground so I wont need my season ticket at the moment im not in good health and have already missed more home games(3) than in any previous one so have paid for nothing 3 times.
Mark Jensen
39   Posted 19/11/2007 at 08:39:24

I don’t support Goodison.
I don’t support Liverpool City.
I don’t support Walton.
For the last thirty odd years ...
I SUPPORT EVERTON AND WHEREVER THEY LAY THERE HAT, THAT’S OUR HOME!!!

COYB
Paul Gladwell
40   Posted 19/11/2007 at 12:52:25

Mark would you say that if we moved to the Wirral? I live over here and would be even more angry than I am now if that happened. 115 years in Goodison , nearly 130 in the city of Liverpool these things do matter these are the things that made the name Everton what it is.
Tony Williams
41   Posted 19/11/2007 at 13:50:03

I am sure Everton will thank you for you support.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Not any less of a fan but certainly fickle.
Mark Jensen
42   Posted 19/11/2007 at 15:46:38

Paul, I never said I was happy just that I support Everton. I did not vote but if I could I would have voted no. My point was, and still is, I do not want the club to move to Kirkby but if they do, I will still go and give them 100% backing because Everton means more to me than Goodison, Walton, Liverpool City, Kenwright, Wyness, etc. There are too many conspiracy theories doing the rounds and I will not get sucked in. My thoughts and opinion is very clear I GO WHERE EVERTON GO. No ifs, no buts, just plain and simple. Nothing, and I ,mean NOTHING, will take my Everton away.
Paul Lindley
43   Posted 20/11/2007 at 17:16:21

Fully agree with what Mark Jensen says. If you watch Everton away your support is no different to that if playing at home - Everton are Everton no matter where they are playing. COYB!!