Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Joleon Lescott

Do you think he?ll play on Wednesday? I think he will after Friday?s performance. Does he have the potential to be an England regular? My vote?s a yes. He?s settled into the England side now, and was as good as any of the England defenders on Friday night. He?s 2 years younger than Terry, King and Woodgate, and has four years on Rio Ferdinand.

He only lacks tactical awareness, and that will come with experience in the Prem, Europe and with England. England?s defence were far too deep in the second half, similar to Everton in Europe. Otherwise he has everything in his locker including goals.

I don?t believe in any of the ?we don?t want him to play for England, he?ll get injured or ?it?ll knock his confidence if England don?t qualify? rubbish. This is invaluable experience for Lescott, and the improvement he?ll make for it will greatly benefit Everton. Fingers crossed that Baines and Vaughan can propel themselves into the squad within the next two years. It?s one thing having American, Nigerian, South African, Scottish, Irish, Australian etc internationals in the side, but for me England internationals are the best sort.
Phil Tweed, Liverpool     Posted 19/11/2007 at 14:16:33

Comments

Dave Griffin
1   Posted 19/11/2007 at 14:56:42

I don?t want him to play for England, he?ll get injured. Or have his head turned by the big-name tossers in the England squad, like Barmby was. COME ON CROATIA!!!
Louis Huglin
2   Posted 19/11/2007 at 14:53:26

Joey Lescott is already one of Everton’s best players and you are dead right, he deserves his England place at the moment. He still, though, has some issues to iron out in his game (I have noticed an increase in unforced errors over the last few weeks, thankfully we’ve been winning anyway so its not an issue).

He should get his chance to play for England and I too fully support him in that - if he gets injured, its a blow, but part and parcel of the game. James Vaughan and Leighton Baines are right up there too as you rightly say; Owen and Ashley Cole ain’t getting any younger and these two could be long term replacements for both. Other options - Bridge at LB? Darren Bent/AJ/Defoe/Crouch up front? Our two young’uns could well be in with a shout over the next couple of years.

Having loads of Internationals in the side is a risk, but also a huge asset to the club, as the name is associated with successful players, international players, around the world. Exciting times to be an Evertonian, at least on the pitch. The question of which pitch is too contentious right now!
James Elworthy
3   Posted 19/11/2007 at 15:15:39

One thing is for certain you can improve your chances of international recognition by playing for Everton.
Lescott, Neville Andy Johnson are examples of this and I am sure Leighton Baines will follow. I would love Big Vic to stay English and not go to the ANC too.
Mike McLean
4   Posted 19/11/2007 at 15:29:56

Can’t remember the ’70 World Cup improving any of our players ... in fact the following run of injuries, tiredness and lack of spirit could well be put down to it.
Not that I’m one to hold a grudge or anything.
Roy coyne
5   Posted 19/11/2007 at 15:48:27

I agree that he deserves his place ,but from our point too many have gone to play as happy blues then come back unsettled so while its great for Joleon I feel uneasy every time a rising star plays for England.
glen strachan
6   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:07:00

Yes Phil..........England internationals are indeed the best sort................like Phil Neville........arghhhhhhhhh !
Jay Wilson
7   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:05:40

We had nothing to offer players when Barmby and Rooney left. We were bottom of the heap so to speak. We now have a team on a big upward curve, with better, younger players. So I think the chance of unsettling Lescott is slim. I think playing for England will on improve an almost complete player.
Andy Ellams
8   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:05:12

Playing for Everton is a totally different proposition than it was at the time of Barmby etc. Jumping ship is not necessarily the way to improve your career as it was then.

As far as Lescott becoming a regular, Terry and Ferdinand are the closing thing to a positive McLaren has had in the past 12 months, be hard to break the partnership. As far as Cole and Owen not getting any younger, they are 25 and 27 respectively.
Phil Tweed
9   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:45:19

Glen, I was merely making the point that I’d rather have a good England international playing for Everton than a foreign international of the same standard. I think most Evertonians would agree. Lescott is potentially the first good English international we’ve had in some time. I don’t rate Neville or AJ when thay paly for England but Lescott is showing real promise.

Andy Ellams,
In the short term yes I agree, but Ferdinand is 29 years old whereas Lescott is 25 and improving. This is Lescotts first year at CB for Everton and he’s tasting his first experience of Europe and the international scene - he’s very very goos for a player of such limited experience!

Jimmy Hoffa
10   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:54:21

Dudes,

Remember Da Silva Abel Xavier?

He left us cause he wanted to play in a high profile team like Red Shitte.

Why? He needs the publicity to keep his place in the Portugese squad.

In fact, am worried about Arteta too. If he doesn’t get a Spanish cap soon, he might have to ditch us.

Like Da Silva Abel Xavier

So yes, am glad Joleon Lescott is playing for England.

Also, Andy Jonhson too.
Amanda
11   Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:55:32

I don’t think he will start on wednesday. Following the result of the Ireael game John Terry has made an amazing recovery and is back training with the squad.

McMoron is likely to start with an semi fit JT over JL. I think he will be on the bench though as cover for centre mid and left back.

Just as long as England qualify and all our internationals return unharmed - not arsed really !!
Gavin Ramejkis
12   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:09:02

Can see why people want to see their players do well but Engerland crooning isnt what this site is about, they are a disgrace as a national side, come on Croatia, let’s hear what the excuses are if Croatia win.