Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Who should replace Irvine?

Looks like Irvine is off to Preston... Who should replace him?

Irvine has done a great job and supported David Moyes very well. Would anyone have any qualms about Sammy Lee as a replacement? Probably the best available Assistent out their. Shame he is a kopite!

Personally I would like to see some foreign influence brought in.
Craig Taylor, Leicester     Posted 19/11/2007 at 16:26:24

Comments

Tony Dobson
1   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:04:14

If Irvine goes...Alan Stubbs.
darrel pugh
2   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:04:06

Could be a crucial appointment maybe we need a coach with an emphasis more on the technical side of the game now we have the players. The combination of Moyes and Irvine certainly produced a standard of fitness in players not seen previously at Goodison, time does seem right to add a dose of continental flair to our game and allow our creative players a platform to consistently express themselves
Yozzer Hughes
3   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:10:28

Me!

I can do that
Dan
4   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:10:28

i would be very gutted if irvine left as i am led to believe he is the man behind the ’sucess’ at everton. if he did leave which i doubt he would in mid season then as you said sammy lee would be a good replacement.
Øystein Lemvik
5   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:10:17

Not sure if another former defender is the solution...:) I believe it’s too early for Stubbsy, though - I think coaches should retire first, then go into managment.

Who to replace him with? Perhaps that Spaniard from across the park - Paco Whatsisname - that would at least upset the RS!
Luke Brooks
6   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:15:58

Need to develop the attacking side of our game...who would be better than Alan Shearer?
Baloo Johnson
7   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:20:13

Butt out, Yozzer. This has nothing to do with you.
Alan Rodgers
8   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:28:07

Bring back the iron man - Richard Gough
Mark Pendleton
9   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:28:50

For Sammy Lee, look up Gobshite in the dictionary. Oh, and short arse too. We MUST be able to do better than that.
Dave M
10   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:33:39

Martin Jol?!!!
David Barks
11   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:34:56

Steve Mclaren might be looking for a job soon. On a serious note though, good luck to Irvine if he does get the job and I hope we get an assistant with an offensive style of coaching.
Jeremy Benson
12   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:38:21

Sammy Lee?!!!!

You must be joking, I would stop supporting if he were appointed. What have we become to even consider him?
Peter Pickle
13   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:40:28

Steve McLaren shoud be free next week!

But I think Colin Harvey should be dragged back from Bolton, bringing Gary speed with him.
OOh Controversial.
Gotta be better than Sammy effin Lee!!1
Graham Nolan
14   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:45:22

Chris Hughton (formerly of Spurs) would get my vote.
Peter Pickles
15   Posted 19/11/2007 at 17:52:28

Here’s one for ya..

How about that bloke from the rugby, the one who won the cup , was at Southampton for a bit.

Could be the groundbreaking scenario we need... and he’s a blue... apparently.
Jo Spader
16   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:01:29

Probably Jimmy Lumsden will be promoted with maybe someone like stubbs/carsley or even dave watson coming in as a coach.

But whats to say the likes of lumsden and one or 2 other coaches may folllow irvine to pne as well
Mike Oates
17   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:01:23

Chris Hughton as mentioned above has had years of being associated with good footballing sides ar Spurs and would be a good acquisition.

Long shot - Davey Weir coming back, he still lives in the area and now Scotland have missed out maybe he woudl be willing to put his boots on the shelf.
tom morris
18   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:01:15

Jeremy Benson,

"What have become.."

Grown-ups, maybe ?
Jeremy Benson
19   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:05:55

Big dunc....his pigeons could do with a run-out at finch farm.

I always think asst. Mgr needs to be someone who can easily speak to the media, etc...I’d like to see an ex-blue come in and do a job, and Davie Weir, Dave Watson, or Pat Nevin would fill the bill...
Terry Maddock
20   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:04:49

Colin Harvey, Brian Kidd,Kevin Sheedy..are the 1st names that spring to mind..but apparently DM dont get on with CH...Ian Snodin..great bloke..true blue..
Gavin Harris
21   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:07:41

There is no doubt that this is a massive blow for us, he has done brilliantly working with David Moyes.

I think we need to get someone who can work closely with moyes on a personal level too because if we get someone too different there might be a conflict as moyes is a strong character.

He also needs to have a good personality and sense of humour so the players can get on well with him.

I am sure there is someone already lined up.
Nick Harrison
22   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:14:02

I agree with P Pickle, I’d like to see Gary Speed back here in some capacity.
Ken Buckley
23   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:09:32

This has been around for a while now so I expect the manager will have a name or a short list. They seem a very close pair and it will have been thought through.
james elworthy
24   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:18:45

Andy Holden with Stubbs the Reserves manager.

Sammy Lee despite being a RS is actually a hell of a good coach and a really nice guy. I have met him many times at functions and he is a lovely bloke.
Paul Coleman
25   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:26:11

Jose Mourinho
Colin Jones
26   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:34:11

Breakout Football Manager!

Moniz from spurs, or Carlos Pereira

But really how much does anyone know about assistant managers?
karl masters
27   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:35:47

Gary Speed is a model professional with a full understanding of Everton FC. We could do a lot worse.

However, he may be a bit inexperienced on the Coaching side and perhaps the answer does lie abroad. Somebody to take on the attacking play and make us better on the ball.

Whoever we get has to get on well with Moyes and has to be of a similar personality. Not a dour Scot, but somebody who values hard work, loyalty and will not try to undermine Davey.
Chris Marston
28   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:52:15

What about Steve Cotteril. He’s thought fo as one of the best young motivational coaches in the game and as I have known him from my days as a YT at Cheltenham Town I think he would make a great coach and link between the gaffer and the team.
si b
29   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:55:58

peter reid would do well for me, he’s spent a couple years as an analyst and knows the league, the players and more importantly he knows what we’re about.
Mick Mac
30   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:54:16

Has anyone heard whether Alan Irvine applied for the job or whether he has made any comments about the job. That will tell us a lot. I personally wouldnt want to see a turncoat like Gary Speed back at Goodison either now or in the future. Sammy Lee. Nope wouldnt like to see him either.
Ian Snods would have the right attirude as would a number of ex players and pundits. But I personally agree with the idea of new blood and new ideas to synergise with the already good work Moyes and Irvine have put into place at Everton. Who this would be , O havent got a clue. But a foreign would add greater scope to our play and also give us some much needed intelligence on up and coming young talent in other countries.
Chris Rowell
31   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:51:06

I’m sure these posts are from the same people who are often anti moyes and the style of football we play (I myself am not). Not sure how we can wax lyrical about an assitant we know little about and yet regularly criticise our manager. I am sure the truth lies somewhere i between on both counts. I think its a huge change and one that needs to be made carefully. I’m sure he works as closely with the players as anyone and has had a huge influence on both our failures and achievements.
Chris Marston
32   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:03:10

If the majority want a foreigner who can add some attacking incisiveness to our play how about Ossie Ardiles?? When he was at Spurs all i can remember is amazing attacking football with shite defending (same as now for spurs without the amazing attacking!) With his attacking prowess and Moyes’ defensive knowledge we will batter any team!!
Ade Simpson
33   Posted 19/11/2007 at 18:57:51

First of all...congratulations to Alan Irvine and all the very best. He is a top bloke.(Ever since he played for us, and I sent the whole team Xmas Cards and he sent a hand written two page response...meant a lot to a young Evertonian!)

I do think he was a surprise when Moyes first chose him as assistant, but he is just that, an assistant. Moyes is the man, so I know his choice will be he right one.

It won’t be Sammy Lee.
Ade Simpson
34   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:10:14

Howard Kendall??

Remember when Harry Redknapp got in Jim Smith and he did a good job for him...it doesn’t have to be a young retiring pro does it?
Paul Okell
35   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:13:47

Tony Horne
36   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:23:55

Gary Ablett
s kinder
37   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:24:24

what about Slaven Bilic? he has proved that he knows what it takes by putting Crotia above England.
Terry Smith
38   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:28:06

Willie Donachie
James Newcombe
39   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:32:32

Daniel Amokachi! Or maybe Paul Rideout... (wonder what he’s up to?)
Tony Beep Beep
40   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:39:06

I’d have any one of thses three. Chris Hughton, Richard Gough or Big Dunc.
Dominic Murphy
41   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:44:47

There’s a lot of people calling for ex players like Snods to come in, i think that would be actually a disaster. At the end of the day we still need a good proven coach, not an ex player who’s been out of the game for years on his backside doing pundit work. I’m not sure myself but i do think it’s too early for Stubbs, but i full expect him to be a coach at the club in the next two years.
MIck Mac
42   Posted 19/11/2007 at 19:51:39

Mike Newell
Ade Simpson
43   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:08:08

Sorry to hear that about Kendall.....European experience and to remind everyone that Moyes is still only young and is still learning.

Does he go for someone to bring along, or some older experienced head to bring something different to the party?

I would want someone who knows what it is like to win things, and is an Evertonian.

Paul Bracewell?
Peter Reid?
Andy Gray!?

Mark Griffiths
44   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:36:58

I would go for sir alex ferguson????

Oh well, seriousley though, I would go for someone who is very well versed on the technical side of the game and has a good background in stragergy.

Not sure who would fit that bill??

Please, can anybody tell me why we ar enot on TV for the game against Zenit???

What has happened to five?s ceverage???
Trevor Tannenbaum
45   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:47:54

How about Kevin Ratcliffe, I always thought he was underrated with the job he did at Chester.
Gavin Harris
46   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:45:53

"Kendall is off his trolley these days, at the Brian Labone function they had to take the mike off him he was so drunk"

Didn’t speed pick the team when he was here becuase kendall was always pissed as a fart?
Allan Hobbs
47   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:56:04

I always get the impression that ’Rats’ isn’t the sharpest tool in the box - his commentary is terrible for one; he has real trouble pronouncing the simplest of names. He’s a shit manager too so probably not a good idea.

An ex pro is about all you can say at the moment really; I wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone Scottish that Moyes knows well. An ex team-mate possibly.
Guy Wilkinson
48   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:56:45

Sammy Lee

Sammy fucking Lee.

I am totally appalled by this drivel. You may as well have a capuchin monkey on the sidelines, with a little embroidered jacket and fez, banging a drum.

Whoever comes has to be able to give high level tactical input to Moyes.
Ste Riley
49   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:40:22

Dario Gradi anyone?
Arthur Jones
50   Posted 19/11/2007 at 20:55:29

David Moyes is a well known control freak , he has to be involved in everything that goes on at Everton and has the final say on everything , I can?t see him letting Alan Irvine go without having a replacement already earmarked for the job ans I can?t see him appointing anyone who is likely to disrupt his well ordered routine , that?s why I think he?ll appoint from within , whether it?s Jimmy Lumsden or Andy Holden or Maybe Alan Stubbs who all know his idiosincracies and are less likely to alter his own way of doing things
Michael Newton
51   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:10:30

I was chatting football with a complete stranger in a bar in Germany last week he was a West Ham fan.
He said he went to an Everton game once, kickoff 3pm Saturday. Before the game he went to the hotel for a drink in the bar where the Everton team was staying at 12:15. In the bar he says, was Howard Kendall the manager having a drink.
Howie?s likeness of the nectar is legendary
Barry Lightfoot
52   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:08:19

Thank you Mr Guy Wilkinson for the best laugh of the day.

Couldn’t we have Sammy Lee with the Fez and embroidered jacket on we could use him as target practice.
Terry Smith
53   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:12:20

To be honest i really cant see Irvine leaving at a time when Moyes & himself have started to get Everton were we belong.Still in a good league & cup run with more or less a cert to go through to the next round in uefa.When P.N.E have a twat of a chairman that will not spend his money & always sell there best players.This even goes back to when moyes was there such as Healy Macken Lewis up to Claud Davis & Nugent.
Bri Law
54   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:19:48

Deffo not Stubbs.

I think Moyes will go for Kelham O?Hanlon. Wasn?t he first choice before Irvine when he first took the job?

He?s currently coach at Barnsley and Moyes will appoint him. Mark my word.
Ray Robinson
55   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:25:27

Someone mentioned the need for a foreign coach. Well Alan Stubbs is from Kirkby and that’s abroad isn’t it? (irony intended)
John Lloyd
56   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:29:24

Its got Andy Holdens name all over it, if Alan Irvine leaves.
Chris Rowell
57   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:24:07

Can’t see a high profile ’name’ appointment. Moyes will know his coaches and will have a good network of contacts. If not an appointment from within then a young up and coming coach without any baggage please! Certainly not Sammy Lee or any former manager looking for another chance
Jimmy Crack
58   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:31:08

Duncan Duncan Ferguson!

Ray-Ray Robinson I love you
Mike B
59   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:31:01

Bri L, I’ve marked ur words and I’ll give you 6/10 and a sticker for a good effort.

For me Chris Hughton is an awesome shout.
Mark Williams
60   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:32:54

I?m also of the opinion that Moyes?s choice will be the right one. but still, why not give Stubbsy a chance. He?s a respected figure in the squad, plenty of experience and the model professional.
Bri Law
61   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:43:29

Nice one for that Mike B. I want at least an 8/10.

Mark - stubbs doesn?t deserve it.I for one, wont; forget how he was so far up Rooney?s arse when he left. And he is represented by Stretford. He?s a miserable bastard as well.

Great servant and player but once he?s finished, thats the end of him. Theres better characters than him like Dave Watson.
Rich Pemberton
62   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:31:03

So many ridiculous suggestions!

I bet most of you that suggested ex-players are the first to accuse the club of lacking ambition!
Some of the names put forward are almost as daft as the talk of Shearer becoming the next England Manager.

It will almost certainly be someone that Moyes knows and trusts who has some proven ability as a coach.
Personally I hope it?s not an ex-first team coach as the last thing you need is a clash of alpha males used to being the main man. Moyes is strong-willed and needs a more submissive yet quietly assertive personality - someone like Irvine. He clearly respects him, listens to him and leans on him, yet there could never be any doubt as to who runs the show and calls the shots. That is what makes a good partnership.

And Ratcliffe really fucked me off the other night when he was commentating on our matches in Europe. He sounded clueless and overly critical in the main part. Like Nev, one of my original heroes, but I?d never have them anywhere near the team now.

Tony Miller
63   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:52:49

Mike Bassett would do for me out of a job at the moment but his heart is in the right place and a scouser too.

"If then son you will be a man" still brings a tear to my eye.
Anthony Jaras
64   Posted 19/11/2007 at 21:54:27

I don’t think there are many ex-managers that would fancy this role, as they have previously been in charge and whether Moyes would want someone coming in under him who has managed remains to be seen.

Some of the names on here are ridiculous.

Another thing is that the candidate should have the neccesary level of coaching badges.

That rules a lot of people out.

I would like to see Gary Speed here because he is currently earning his coaching stripes and is a blue no matter what you guys say.

If I played for Everton under Kendall and there was a drinking culture then I would want out. I would not want to work with a bunch of pissheads!!!!

Gary Speed is and always has been a top pro and judging by the fact that he can still cut the mustard in the prem at his age proves that.

The fact is that the man is a big believer in fitness and looking after yourself and if he saw players around his wearing the royal blue, yet damaging themselves by drinking with the managers permission then I do not blame him for walking out.

He also kept his dignity by not bad mouthing the club or anyone associated with it when he left.

How shit were we under Kendall?

If you found that it was bacause of alcohol as well as shit players you would be fuming!

Oh Gary Gary, Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary Speed!!!!!
Ben Jones
65   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:17:00

It is a bit iweird that Alan Irvine might leave.. because he is a great assistant manager. But to be honest... I don’t know enough about assistant managers to know who could replace him. I’d like to see a foreign guy who could maybe get our technical play a bit better. But who is there? Nooo idea. I can see Moyes bringing in another Scot from Celtic or somewhere to be his assistant. He might promote someone from our current coaching staff.. its gonna be interesting.
Danny Bostock
66   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:35:46

There’s only one man for the job.

BARRY HORNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

He’s knows bloody everything!
Mark Pendleton
67   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:36:12

I agree that the Rat was annoying in his UEFA commentary. Love the guy to bits but i didn’t rate his opinion on the games. Also, Speed isn’t a turncoat, he’s a professional and left EFC as despite loving the club his professionalism was pushed to breaking point.

I’m sure the club will appoint the right person if Irvine does leave. Moyes went on reputation for Irvine and didn’t know him that well before he joined.

I’d like to thank Irvine and wish him the best of luck if he does go.
Joachim Almz
68   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:42:40

Stefan Rehn? Won swedish coach of the year in sweden and won the league with IFK Gothenburg...and he was at Everton ;)
Anthony Jaras
69   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:47:05

Someone earlier mentioned Andy Gray, Ian Snodin and Barry Horne.

Although I feel Andy & Barry would do a great job knowledge-wise, I don;t feel they would leave the comfort zone of their media careers to do it.

We tried to get Gray years ago but he is on mega bucks with Sky and clearly has no intention of giving that up.

Another suggestion was Chris Hughton. I think he is Spurs to the bone, and if he did go elsewhere I feel it would be down south somewhere.

John Murphy
70   Posted 19/11/2007 at 22:56:02

Got to be Big Dunc hasnt it?

Also its amusing reading everyone laughing at Howard Kendall always being pissed and leaving Gary Speed to pick the team. But Andy Van Der Meyde is a waste of space isnt he...
Nick Veitch
71   Posted 19/11/2007 at 23:13:00

Big Dunc for sure...
He’d sort out the lazy bastards in the team. All the players would be too shit scared of not putting in 110%.

Hail Assistant Manager BIG DUNC!!!
Paul Olsen
72   Posted 19/11/2007 at 23:34:08

Pat Nevin or Big Nev!

Big Dunc? I’d love it, but naaah..

Stuart Mitchell
73   Posted 19/11/2007 at 23:46:39

Joe Royle would be a good one!
Jay Harris
74   Posted 20/11/2007 at 00:08:42

For the record I have it on reasonable authority that the reason Speed left was two fold. Kendall apparently was too drunk to name the subs and when he was coming off at half time (I think it was West Ham away) he picked up what he thought was a water bottle to drink it and turned out to be Vodka.

Anyway on the subject of coach it has to be somebody who will conform to Moyes law so I think Andy Holden will be rewarded for some excellent work although I personallly would love to see a foreign coach to take our tactical and technical level up a couple of notches and feel that somebody like Klinskmann Jol or Bilic would do nicely although all are seeking managers jobs.
I would not like any previous players because I think the game has moved on although I do rate Brian Kidd and Mike Newell.
John Lloyd
75   Posted 20/11/2007 at 00:19:04

Whats with the Chrsi Hughton shout?

Thats a genuine question as when I see him he does my head in. He’s been behind the scenes at spurs for years involved with some bloody awful teams, so what is it that you know that I dont?? He never leaves when a new manager comes in which would suggest thathe doesnt have loyalty to the man he is coaching for as most top No.2’s should have. He is probably Spurs board top grass ha ha.

I still think it will be a re-shuffle of current coaches with Andy Holden moving up to no.2 with Neil Dewsnip getting reserve team with the top job he’s doing with academy kids, assuming they want it, or O’Hanlon from an earlier post if Moyes originally wanted him then he may look at his siyuation now.
Gavin Gibson
76   Posted 20/11/2007 at 05:49:20

My vote goes to Tony Adams. He has done wonders at Portsmouth with Harry Redknapp.

As everyone else here has named an ex-blue, I will throw in my lot as well... Let?s get David Ginola back!!!!!
Mike Hughes
77   Posted 20/11/2007 at 08:29:18

We need a foreigner on board and everybody knows our defence has not been the same since Per Krøldrup left. Apparently, if you cut him he?d bleed blue. Get Krøldrup in as assistant manager.
Mike Hughes
78   Posted 20/11/2007 at 08:29:18

We need a foreigner on board and everybody knows our defence has not been the same since Per Kroldrup left. Apparently, if you cut him he’d bleed blue. Get Kroldrup in as assistant manager.
James Elworthy
79   Posted 20/11/2007 at 08:46:28

In the paper this morning Billy Davies has 2 games to save his job, ex mate of Moyes at Preston, fiery Scot, has no chance at making Derby stay up but done a reasonable job in the Championship with them.
He may not fancy a number 2 job though after being a number 1 albeit at a crap club
Danny Mullally
80   Posted 20/11/2007 at 09:08:36

Mike Newell would be a good addition as someone else pointed out earlier. I could see a clash of personalities with Moyes though, but Newell has the attributes, former blue, good motivator, young(ish), and a decent tactical awareness.

He aint no Sven Goran Eriksson, but he will have lots of other things to bring to the table.
Andy Ellams
81   Posted 20/11/2007 at 09:00:54

Promote from within and bring in Dario Gradi to work with the kids. That’s what he has always been good at and if our current crop is as promising as we are led to believe he could do wonders for the future of the club.
Amanda Huddleston
82   Posted 20/11/2007 at 09:23:41

GARY SPEED?

Ex player, liked the club. He has been interested in management and had a brief bash at notloB.

Has to better than even considering RS Sammy Lee!

Stubbsy is great but a bit short in the brains department. Moyes will want a ?thinker?.

As for Kevin Ratcliffe - he has gone way down in my estimation after all the negative comments he made about EFC whilst commentating on UEFA games ... no chance!

Michael Newton
83   Posted 20/11/2007 at 09:45:43

Speed left the club because of Kendall always being on the ale. He may come back now providing he doesnt bump into Howie.
Big Dunc doesn’t have any coaching qualifications you have to be a UEFA A coach to get the job.
Moyes will bring in his own man and one that he can control, he is in charge and likes people to know that.
I think Andy Holden has a chance with Stubbs retiring at the end of the season and running the reserves which he is involved in.
Sammy Lee is a RS so he wont get the job irrespective of his ability and likeability. His connections with the darkside are too strong.
Billy Davies has been mentioned but he will want to be a number one.
Is Ian Snodin a qualified coach I am not sure. Barry Horne would be an astute choice.
Jimmy Mellville
84   Posted 20/11/2007 at 10:19:13

Here is one for everyone, I think Moyes needs some european experience now we are in europe, i agree on that totally.

I also agree that he is the boss and needs a man that will go with his direction of management.

I through into the ring Tord Grip !
Patty Beesley
85   Posted 20/11/2007 at 10:19:51

Mick Mac - Bit hard on Gary Speed aren?t you.... who says he was a turncoat!!..I like the guy and I think he had a raw deal at the end of his career with Everton... look no further than dear old Howard "drink you under the table" Kendall for that and, in fairness to Gary, he kept his own counsel about what happened between the two of them, was discreet and never slagged off the Club like others have done. Apart from that he is a staunch Evertonian as are his children so he must still love us eh?

Sammy Lee - you are having a laugh - if he wants to go anywhere let him go back to the red shite where he belongs.
Tony Knowles
86   Posted 20/11/2007 at 11:28:41

Moyes will definitely not appoint from outside the club. His style of management is obviously controlling (not such a bad thing) and he will not want a ’big name’ assistant manager to come into his club.
For all those who have suggested Sammy Lee why not go for the best - Phil Thompson?
Gavin Harris
87   Posted 20/11/2007 at 11:40:17

I think Gary Speed is a good shout.
James Elworthy
88   Posted 20/11/2007 at 11:54:07

Would Gary Speed want to come for Everton with the abuse he gets every time he plays at Goodison.
He kept quiet about Kendall being pissed all the time and kept his dignity.
I wont take anything away from Howard as both a great player and a manager here during her first spell but does he still lurk around the bars and hospitality suites on match days, surely his presence would put Speed off.
Stephen Davies
89   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:05:36

Big Dunc hates the media can’t remember the last time he did an interview and Moysey always had Alan Irvine talking to them...
James Elworthy
90   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:17:32

Today’s Echo says two candidates
Brian Kidd and Steve Round who was Middlesboro’s coach and now England coach under McLaren & Venables.
Ed Casey
91   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:10:12

My vote goes to Carlton Palmer. Think about it..........no don’t bother!

Seriously, I have to say that I’ll be sad to see Irvine go - he has done a good job over the last few years and I don’t like the idea of any major upheaval at this time of the season, especially after such a good run. Plenty of people to replace him and I’m sure Moyes will make an informed decision rather than running around like a headless chicken - if he is a control freak as was mentioned above then the appointment will be well thought out.

Anyway, just for fun, and to throw another name in to the hat - what about Ally McCoist?
Damian Scott
92   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:06:31

My vote would also be for Chris Hughton. He has the experience and the badges...

He has been a great asset particularly to Ireland when he was No.2....

He would be a great addition
Allan Hobbs
93   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:16:52

Duncan Ferguson has, or at least IS moving to Spain - he has no interest in being assistant manager. Oh and by the way, Gary Speed still PLAYS for Bolton.

Sammy Lee - never gonna happen, stupid faced little ginger dwarf red shite yes man.

Billy Davies is a maybe, if/when he gets fired by Derby.

Its bound to be someone Moyes knows well, like I said; possibly an ex team mate, someone Scottish probably. Either that or Holden.

All these names being banded about are unlikely
Stuart Mitchell
94   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:29:08

BRIAN KIDD and Steve Round head the list of contenders to become Everton?s new number two as Alan Irvine was today preparing to begin life as Preston manager.

Kidd ? who had a spell at Goodison Park during his successful playing career in 1979 ? is currently working with Bryan Robson at Sheffield United and the Blades would not encourage any approach for his services.

But a possible return to Merseyside could be too strong a lure for Kidd, who was responsible for helping develop players such as Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs and Everton captain Phil Neville during his time with Manchester United.

The 58-year-old is vastly experienced and has been a manager in his own right at Preston and Blackburn Rovers. He has returned to work in fine health after having surgery for prostate cancer in 2004.

Round, meanwhile, might be lesser known but has a good reputation within the game and is currently working with Sam Allardyce at Newcastle.

He started his coaching career alongside Jim Smith at Derby after a knee injury forced his premature retirement before moving to Middlesbrough with Steve McClaren in 2001. Round followed him on to the England staff.
Allan Hobbs
95   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:40:48

Wheres that from Stuart?

Brian Kidd’s a great assistant manager - plenty of experience too.
Stuart Mitchell
96   Posted 20/11/2007 at 12:45:54

Allan the artical is on

and

Andy Ellams
97   Posted 20/11/2007 at 13:12:42

Round and Kidd would both ne excellent choices. Experienced and good solid backgrounds.

Check out this link. I think we should start a campaign to get it played on then screen before all home matches.
Mike McCarthy
98   Posted 20/11/2007 at 13:06:00

Isn’t Steve Clarke supposed to be unsettled at chelsea with the arrival of the not so special Avram Grant ?? He seems to have that same closeness and respect of the first team players at Chelsea that Irvine has built up at Everton. Clarke seems to be the closest like for like appointment that would ensure the continuity that is beginning to pay dividends for the blues self belief and consistency, plus he might just persuade Essien to come along as a ready made replacement for the mighty but ageing Carsley!
Allan Hobbs
99   Posted 20/11/2007 at 14:06:35

Be realistic - why would Steve Clarke end a 20 yr association with Chelsea, loeave London and move to the north purely because Everton need a new assistant and Chelseas have a new manager?

He’s the Chelsea ’link’ between the board & the players - they’d never let him go.
Steve Bird
100   Posted 20/11/2007 at 14:14:55

Adrain Heath is the man for the job.
Allan Hobbs
101   Posted 20/11/2007 at 14:36:43

Why Adrian Heath? I favour Brian Kidd myself
James Elworthy
102   Posted 20/11/2007 at 14:46:35

I would imagine there is a serious difference between Clarkes and Irvine’s wages, with Clarke getting bonuses for league titles and Europe. Clarke also knows if Chelsea give him the push he will get a big payout so he has no reason to leave though I am sure his nose has been pushed out of joint by the new Dutch coach they brought in recently.
Clarke would be a good coach though having said that.
Adrian Heath doesnt inspire me, he has journeymanned round in recent times.
Brian Kidd has a good reputation and Round must be a good coach if he is at England (tongue in cheek).

Brian Kidd would be happy as a number 2 as well which former no. 1’s like say Billy Davies is about to be wouldnt.
Louis Platt
103   Posted 20/11/2007 at 14:39:54

Can?t we take both Round and Kidd?

Jimmy Lumsden is getting no younger and I imagine having two coaches would be beneficial
Allan Hobbs
104   Posted 20/11/2007 at 15:35:24

2’s company, 3’s a crowd innit? Too many cooks n all that...
Michael Newton
105   Posted 20/11/2007 at 16:06:34

Jimmy Lumsden is a quiet man you never see or hear of him, bit like that miserable fucker who sits on Rafa’s right with the permanent scowl on his face who they never say who he is.
Number 2’s are normally not high profile apart from maybe Carlos Quieroz as Fergie wont speak to the BBC, or Allardyce and Redknapps number 2’s who have to speak to the BBC as well because their unscrupulous tranfer dealings were exposed by Panorama
I think Kiddo would make a good coach for us, as a player he took no nonsense from anyone and would soon put some upstart in his place on the training ground.
As an attacking player maybe he can bend the ear of Moyes a bit more than Irvine did about attack minded substitutions and be of benefit to the young strikers at the club more.
Paul Connors
106   Posted 20/11/2007 at 20:47:27

I reckon we should go for that Paco Rabban fella who just left the red shite - he’d love to wok for a real football outfit. When he eventually gets sacked by Victor Kaim and Ronnie McDonald we can employ the fat waiter as the sponge man (and doughnut man and eclair man) COYB!!!!!
Michael Phillips
107   Posted 23/11/2007 at 13:40:21

This is probably a mad idea, and I agree he was a useless England manager, but could McClaren be a good No.2 to David Moyes? He worked well with Fergie.

I'm sure it will never happen, but The reaction on Toffeeweb will be interesting.

Brian Kidd would be my favourite choice, but other names could include, Peter Reid, Kevin Ratcliffe, Dave Watson or what about Alan Stubbs?