Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

London Proud

This Saturday I'm taking my new girlfriend for her first (and my second) ever football match to watch us annihilate Sunderland. Nothing else to say really, apart from that I'm really excited.

Abb (age 29 and a half), a Blue living in London
Abb Dhanani, London     Posted 21/11/2007 at 12:10:50

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Ah Bless!
Barney Carmichael
1   Posted 21/11/2007 at 15:34:06

Any sunderland fan reading that would not be pleased. They are not pushovers as you suggest. I would not be surprised at all if they take a point back to wearside.

I dont have a girlfriend, although i have been married three times, and i have been to my fair share of games both domestic and overseas. I have already acquired my place at Upton Park for league cup battle but will be unable to get to the netherlands for the alkmaar game although saying that i did go there for a uefa cup match in 1981.

That was a night that will live long in the memory.
Steve Lyth
2   Posted 21/11/2007 at 15:49:28

What have you been doing for the last 28 and a half years Abb ? Plus we do play on your door step y,know
Caron Jôs
3   Posted 21/11/2007 at 16:05:41

Best game I took my girlfreind to see was the 3-0 derby win last season, she’s a red so was good fun on the train on the way home!
Seamus Murphy
4   Posted 21/11/2007 at 16:20:56

Enjoy the game Abb!
Steve Roberts
5   Posted 21/11/2007 at 16:20:46

Good on ya Abb, hope it’s the first of many for her and the second of many for you lad....COYB !
Ian Winstanley
6   Posted 21/11/2007 at 16:15:52

In 1983, my new girlfriend took me to see Everton play at Goodison, only my second live football match at the time. Now married and having moved to Sydney, Australia, we have two children. My thirteen year old son has only ever been to one match, at Goodison (On a Christmas trip to the UK, we lost to Bolton), and when he is old enough he wants to live in the UK for a year so that he can watch Everton play an entire season. That is the magic of the Blues.

PS: This site is great for keeping in touch without is happening outside of the weekly televised round up.
Chris McGlynn
7   Posted 21/11/2007 at 16:28:31

Abb

I take my wife up to matches every time I go back to see my parents in the North West. One of the first games she saw (as my girlfriend) was the Arsenal match when Rooney fired in the winner (despite everything it still brings a tear to my eye watching the "remember the name" clips with the camera shaking as Goodison Park goes mental). She just thought that was the typical fare served up week in week out at the School of Science but over the years she’s become more accustomed to the more usual delights on display. That said, we’ll both be at GP with my Dad on Saturday (she no doubt singing her usual final solo verse of "Everton, Everton, Everton" after everyone stops singing) and I can’t wait either.

Hope you have a great weekend
Nilesh Tailor
8   Posted 21/11/2007 at 17:00:55

I took mine to the Spurs game at the Lane when we beat them 2-0 and were down to 10-men. What a great game and she?s deffo my lucky charm :-)
Michael Brien
9   Posted 21/11/2007 at 17:05:40

The first match my wife went to was the game vs Arsenal at Goodison in October 2002 - yes the 2-1 match when we ended their unbeaten run. Needless to say after that she was well and truly hooked. Have a great time and give the lads a cheer for me and my family of "exiled Blues"
Chris Masey
10   Posted 21/11/2007 at 17:10:02

Make sure you explain the offside rule before you go, else it could be a long afternoon, where you’re focus will be explaining the rules and not watching the football! Only kidding, have a good one mate...Atleast your gfriend will go with you!
Emil Mathias
11   Posted 21/11/2007 at 17:09:45

thats grand! A nice warm thread to distract from the boredom of the move debates that seem to keep re-emerging.
I dragged my girlfriend (an aussie) up from London to Goodison a few years back. We are now engaged, and she has gone from not caring about football to an all out blue! I can?t take all the credit though, the aussie Timmy Cahill in the side helped this change of heart too.

Graham Eaves
12   Posted 21/11/2007 at 17:18:49

My first ever Everton game I took my then Mrs to was Port Vale at home in the FA Cup about 11yrs ago, 2-2 then they beat us in the replay
Lue Glover
13   Posted 21/11/2007 at 21:42:29

Have a great day Abb and girlfriend. I wish I could get ’im indoors to come to the footy with me - he prefers the odd shaped ball game but never mind, no one’s perfect! Here’s to 3 points and some nice football to watch....well, I’ll stick with the three points, the rest is a bonus!
Dave Campbell
14   Posted 21/11/2007 at 22:28:30

I took my missus to her first and only game a few years ago aginst Derby, we won 1-0. Her only comment was, "Is this it". She never got invited back.

Incidently they brought a 15 year old kid out at half time to announce his signing of a contract. No prizes for guessing who. Fat NobEd.

Have a good day Abb.
Paul O'Hanlon
15   Posted 21/11/2007 at 22:43:25

Taking your missus the match? Who?ll have your tea ready when you get home???
Michael Tracey
16   Posted 22/11/2007 at 01:07:53

Have a great day Abb, I’m coming to UK for Xmas from Lao.I will be taking my future wife in just over a month to the Arsenal game, I can’t wait! Hopefully it will be one of them special days at Goodison. England are crap. Crap manager, spoilt players. If only they were as passionate about England as we are about the Toffees. CYOB!!!!
Brian Williams
17   Posted 22/11/2007 at 04:37:08

Must be something about the Sunderland game. I?m taking my sons aged 10 and 7 for their first ever game on Saturday. I hope they run out of questions by then otherwise I?ll miss half the game, as they haven?t stopped since I told ?em about it.
I?ve waited a very long time to enjoy this oppotunity. They?re already true Blues (as you?d expect) but I hope the lads put on a good performance so that their first "proper memory" is a really great one.
I?m almost as excited about it as THEY are coz it means something really special to me....a game and a result similar to the home game in ?85 when we went behind only to win 4-1 with some of the best football anyone could hope to see would do for me (I was there for that too) .............I?ll have to go I?m fillin? up here !!!
Mark Murphy
18   Posted 22/11/2007 at 08:56:14

Ah, but will you take her to Kirkby??

Sorry, couldnt resist!

My missus wont come the match with me so I?ll be bringing my 7 year old football daft, mad Evertonian son with me to the Arsenal home game for his first visit to Goodison Park.

Enjoy your day and I hope the Blues deliver for you!
Kunal Desai
19   Posted 22/11/2007 at 10:09:11

Around about this time 2 years ago I took my girlfriend (back then) to Goodision to watch us play Newcastle where we won 1-0. She then managed to just about stay awake. I’m going to the game on sat with now my wife, lets hope it’s a more livlier affair and we take 3 more points. UP THE BLUES!!!
Nadeem Malik
20   Posted 22/11/2007 at 11:33:27

Coming from London myself, Ive yet to take my girlfriend to a match but will try and get tickets for the Carling Cup QF at West Ham. On another note, before every Everton match I "Force" her to say the words "good luck to Everton against ........". Ive been with her for 5 years now and i swear to you it used to work nearly every time in the early days, my first date with her was the same day as the opening match of the 02/03 season when I think we got a draw at home to Spurs, and we soon went on to a 6 game winning streak after!!! So remember whenever Everton win, Ive usually got a hand it in somewhere down the line :)
Paul Johnson
21   Posted 22/11/2007 at 12:13:03

My brother took ’his bird’ (a Londoner) to her first game a few years ago and she screamed whenever we got near the opposition box. The main stand was in stitches!

I’m taking my son to his 2nd game with his mate (a red, for now) and his mate’s dad (a blue).

COYB!!!!
Alan Humphreys
22   Posted 22/11/2007 at 13:52:33

Took my girlfriend to the Blackburn game one December a few years back (his ’n’ her Santa hats). She’d never been to a game or even supported a team. She was the phone to her Ma when Blackburn scored and couldn’t understand all the gloom after she’d finished her call. Radz and Rooney scored to make it 2-1.

Asked her on the way home, that as it was her first ever game and that we’d won was she now a red or a blue ? She waited til we were outside her house before saying she looked good in red ! Still married her and we now have two little blues....