Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Injury latest?

Anyone any idea if we've Baines and Arteta back at our disposal for Saturday's game against Sunderland? I hope so... I've watched Sunderland a few times recently and they seem a lot more organsied than they did at the beginning of the season.
Sean Dylan, Manchster     Posted 22/11/2007 at 12:32:45

Comments

Michael Newton
1   Posted 22/11/2007 at 14:55:04

Arteta at this moment is highly doubtful for Saturday I expect Neville and Carsley therefore to be in a 5 man midfield with Cahill, Osman and Peanut, with Hibbo right back.
Baines at left back ahead of Valente with the Yak upfront.
AJ on the bench if fit with 4 from these 7, big Vic, Stubbs, Mad Dog, Jags, McFadden, Valente, Vaughan if fit, Wessels
I would prefer Neville at right back with AJ starting myself though, with a 4-4-2 formation.
Even so we have a strong bench nowadays.
bb
2   Posted 22/11/2007 at 15:42:18

not true
James Elworthy
3   Posted 22/11/2007 at 15:46:46

BB do you have an update of Artetas groin strain as no news coming out of Goodison today
bb
4   Posted 22/11/2007 at 15:58:52

He doing some light training so there is a outside chance he will make it. Baines however wil lnot be risked as he took a slight knock.
Stan Mounford
5   Posted 22/11/2007 at 16:09:08

As the only non-Wigan supporter in the house,I am made well aware that Baines was serially injured for most of his time with them.Both my brothers pissed themselves when Moyes was persuaded to fork out over £6M for a player with dodgy legs!
Like me they think he’s a good player but we’re not likely to see much of him.It seems the same is true of Tommy G.who is well past his sell date and incapable of completing 90 mins. Doesn’t the Moyesro do his homework?
Tony Williams
6   Posted 22/11/2007 at 16:21:00

FFS From talking about injury news to a dig at Moyes within 5 points, not exactly a TW record but close.

I think that Moyes may go with a 4-4-2, as we at home and Sunderland aren’t the greatest of teams, however he may start with a 4-5-1 and see how it goes.

The good thing now is that he has a bench that contains players that can change matches instead of just numbers.

Come on you Blues and lets skin some Black Cats (Not literally of course)
bb
7   Posted 22/11/2007 at 16:20:44

I really think Witgan supporters just have the hump.. If he hardly played, he wouldn’t be voted there player of the season would he? As for Tommy G, I agree he wasn’t as young as he use to be, but I believe his time at Real Madrid has actually improved his one touch passing.

On a side note: I think our number 2 should be somebody like Howard Kendell. He was asked 18 months ago about becoming a manager for another club and he said he wasn’t intrested in managerment anymore, but would consider a number 2 position or a coaching roll (hint, maybe Everton). I think our number 2 should breath Everton and I think he fits the bill, if he could work with Moyes, if not somebody like him
Richard Porter
8   Posted 22/11/2007 at 16:52:49

Baines amde 145 appearances in the league for Wigan, plus mroe in cups- and is still only 23.

In Wigan’sfirst two Premier League seasons (05/06 and 06/07), he made 73 appearances out of a possible 76. I can’ft find stats that complete for the pre-Prem days, but the fact that in his first two PL seasons he missed THREE MATCHES rather suggests that he’s not exactly injury prone. he may have had a serious injury in the past, but so has Lescott.
Richard Porter
9   Posted 22/11/2007 at 17:10:20

Year by year league appearances, Baines at Wigan:

02/03- 6
03/04: 26
04/05: 41
05/06: 37
06/07: 35

First three were from a maximum 46, then a max. 38. In the last three seasons he’s missed 8 games, some probably from suspension, doesn’t look like he’s missed huge chunks with injury does it?
Michael Newton
10   Posted 22/11/2007 at 17:42:28

BB: Howard Kendall has a serious problem with alcohol and if you ever attend any functions he is at you will see if with your own eyes. It was so embarrasing when Gordon West took the microphone off his as he slurred his way through a speech at one function I attended.
Great manager in his first spell, great player in his day, but it’s 2007 now and Howards problems are well documented.
James Elworthy
11   Posted 22/11/2007 at 17:57:28

Have you not thought there must be a reason BB why Kendall has not had a job in football for a long time.
Wouldn’t be good at training if the coach breathes alcohol fumes on the players.
Sam Duckworth
12   Posted 22/11/2007 at 19:01:06

Tommy G has something wrong with is knees, something like they’re loose i think, just interested me, because maybe thats why he doesnt get much game time...
Jay Harris
13   Posted 22/11/2007 at 21:23:35

Apparently Ateta has said he is OK for Sat.
Howard kendal was the greatest midfield player I have ever seen and our greatest manager.
Sadly ne has been alcoholic for many years now and does not appear to be able to beat it.lets remember the good side and not revisit it.
Unless there is a problem with Tommy I would love to see a bit more of hime on Sat to rouse the fans and the team.
Keith Glazzard
14   Posted 22/11/2007 at 21:35:16

Leighton Baines will be an Everton great.

While he’s getting over an injury, and instead of being called back too soon, we have Nuno Valente to keep his position warm for him.

I call that progress.
Santosh Benjamin
15   Posted 22/11/2007 at 21:59:52

If Arteta is not fit,then hope Tommy G can start in midfield.Just hoping we dont go back to the team with Neville in midfield and Hibbo at RB...if AJ is fit,,he should start up top with the Yak...
Jamie Salisbury
16   Posted 23/11/2007 at 01:30:28

Tommy G?s knees are...loose? I?m dreading the day the bottoms of his legs fall off on the pitch. Eek.
Billy Bonds
17   Posted 23/11/2007 at 08:53:12

I apologise, I hadn?t relised it was that bad. I knew it use to be a problem (hence Gary Speed leaving etc), but last I heard he was winning his battle.

Another number 2 I would like would be Peter Reid, but doubt he would be intrested. All I am saying is I want somebody who breaths Everton and not a Archie Knox type of number 2, who just picks up a wage packet and doesn?t care.
James Elworthy
18   Posted 23/11/2007 at 09:52:40

I think Brian Kidd is top of the list after the England performance I dont know now about Steve Round.
Peter Reid is another guy who was a manager, the coach is an entirely different job and I dont know if he would want to handle just that side of the job.
Looking for an ex Everton player to perform this role may not be the best thing to do either as there are not many I can think of ex Everton players who have been too succesful in management. Reid, Heath, Watson all haven’t exactly got the perfect CV for the job.
One guy who seems to do a good job in that role is Joe Jordan at Portsmouth.
Kevin Stuart
19   Posted 23/11/2007 at 13:06:14

This website lists all the injurys in a squad and an expected return date.

Good place to look if you?ve got a fantasy football team and are thinking about substitutions. Anyway, according to the website Artetas got a good chance of being fit for Saturday.
Ian Turgoose
20   Posted 23/11/2007 at 14:17:41

Fully fit squad with only Turner out. Arteta is back and i reckon we will need him to break a stubborn Sunderland down.

Who to play upfront - Yak, AJ, Big Vic, Vaughan or Jimmy McFadden? Thats a good problem to have!