Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Assists... and my fave goal

I'm doing the stats update and noticed something amazing: in a seven-goal romp that was inspired in large part by the return of the mercurial Mikel Arteta, he was the last provider (and therefore credited with an 'assist') on not one single goal of those seven!!!

And guess who gets the credit for setting up two of the seven? None other than the much-maligned Phil Neville, who played ana absolutely critical role in that second goal ? which I think has to be my favourite.

Excellent touch, style, tricks and feints from Arteta, finished by an exquiste nonchalant flick in to Neville, who had run in from deep and palyed an uneilevable ball right on to Cahill's toe. Timmy, facing the wrong way, under pressure, cotrols it with a beautiful first touch, and shows superb techique to power the ball fiercely into the net. Just a top-class goal that set us up for a tremendous performance and a fabulous victory.
Michael Kenrick, ToffeeWeb Towers     Posted 24/11/2007 at 17:39:31

Comments

Chad Schofield
1   Posted 24/11/2007 at 17:50:28

Saddly at work, but tried to watch the game over t’internet and whilst most of it was infuriatingly a static mess with the occassional burst of French (I think), I did manage to see Pieanaar’s glorious goal. Surley that’d be Nuno’s assist?
John Lloyd
2   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:09:15

Fantastic stuff, absolute dreamland I’m in.

Proves that Neville is a right back I think Michael. Every player gets 10 from me today. Couldnt of went better, 2 pens possibly turned down aswell!!!!

Last time we scored 7 we played a team in red & white stripes (southampton). Funny little stat for ya!!

We’re by far the greatest team.......the world has ever seen!!

Michael Newton
3   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:19:00

Almost perfect performance attacking wise and in midfield. Defending needs improving with the goal and the sitter missed, but apart from that and Yobo?s injury it was superb. Osman was mercurial in my estimation.
Michael Phillips
4   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:38:34

Isn’t it about time Moyes ditched this boring 4-5-1 line up and played some more attacking football. I’m fed up with his boring approach!!!!!!!!
Joe Jennings
5   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:45:59

The second goal was great, but Osman’s was breath taking. Unbelievable performance

Got to be aiming for 5th this season, and I may be optimistic but 4th is achievable....

BELIEVE folks...
Clem Marchant
6   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:47:53

I don’t believe it was you Michael who posted that. Get fucking real, we were playing shit and on today’s showing Marine would have beaten Sunderland. Yes, we’re improving but don’t get carried away-do that to the top four and then e’ll be a team!
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:54:03

Yea, Clem, it’s good to keep setting those high goals but today we achieved something under David Moyes that I have been waiting for for a long long time. You are right in that only one of the last seven games have been against a really top-teir side ? and that’s the one we did not win.

Still room for improvement ? there will always be until we are winning the League and everything else! But today was a very very special day in David Moyes’s long and sometimes painfull bedding in as Everton manager. Six and a half years... 100 wins. FFS. That’s only 14 wins each year on average!
Rob Heaton
8   Posted 24/11/2007 at 19:24:57

By my maths he has been manager since 14 March 2002 which would make it just over 5.5 yrs or 18 wins a yr

Which isn?t that bad
Alan Spencer
9   Posted 24/11/2007 at 19:29:33

Don’t be fooled,the season will end in heartbreak as any decent side will find the weaknesses in our defence-starting with Lescott and Yobo!
Let’s be honest the likes of derby and Sunderland are fucking useless!
Joe Jennings
10   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:19:54

Link for ALL 7 GOALS

Be warned: It does buffer but worth it for those who are out of the country etc

Enjoy, folks

Jay Harris
11   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:41:47

Spot on Danny. Every team has to be beaten and today Sunderland were well beaten.
How long have we waited to see some of those touches and 7 goals.
Let's all enjoy the moment and congratulate the team.
NSNO
Peter Pridgeon
12   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:49:17

Thanks Joe Jennings
Just watched the goals, its a sunny Sunday morning in New Zealand and I have a smile on my face that just will not go away.

Great win and well done David Moyes and the team

When I got up this morning I thought we really do need to put a team like Sunderland away, however I did not expect this result.
Stefan Tosev
13   Posted 24/11/2007 at 21:33:42

Michael, maybe its about time you to start counting Everton wins with more then 5 goals under Moyes ;-)

I thas been a long wait :))))
Martyn Willsher
14   Posted 24/11/2007 at 22:14:35

Appreciated the link to the goals...thx Joe!
Jimmy Jazz
15   Posted 24/11/2007 at 22:28:00

Great post michael. We played some beautiful football today that would have been present against any team. Yes Sunderland were very poor but you can only beat what is put in front of you, and boy did we do that. Get behind the lads and perhaps we will be seeing more days like this.
Tony Williams
16   Posted 25/11/2007 at 10:56:28

Well said Alan, all we need is a bit of realism hey?

No point in enjoying a 7-1 win, we will be found out in the end.

Priceless