Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Dave Hickson rushed to hospital

Sorry to put a downer on what has otherwise been an excellent day for all Evertonians around the world but there is worrying news that Dave Hickson has been rushed to hospital.

I saw an ambulance today outside the players entrance to Goodison and it was quite a crowd gathering as Bill Kenwright had run outside. He climbed into the ambulance too and naturally I was concerned it may have been a relative. However later on Radio City 96.7 Bill came on the air to say it Hickson who had taken a turn for a worse and was rushed to hospital. He said he was fighting for his life according to the hospital staff but it was too soon to know what is going to happen.

I just hope all Evertonians out there pray for the great man and footballer and have him in our thoughts.
Harry  Stewart, Cheshire     Posted 24/11/2007 at 18:54:03

Comments

Dave Charles
1   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:00:13

Yes, I think we are all in agreement in wishing one our famous sons all the best and a quick recovery.

Get well soon Davie.
Adam Clark
2   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:14:02

Too young to have watched him play but met him on the Goodison tours, a great man.

Get well soon
Dave Roberts
3   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:27:25

We know you said you’d die for us Davey....but not just yet eh! One more big push wizard. Let’s have you back soon.
Santosh Benjamin
4   Posted 24/11/2007 at 20:28:11

Will be praying specially for Dave and his family...Get well soon
Tony Graham
5   Posted 24/11/2007 at 21:11:38

Fight like you did on the pitch dave, you were my hero in your golden days, thinking of you all the best!!
Dave Roberts
6   Posted 24/11/2007 at 19:57:45

I'm sure every Evertonian will join with me in wishing Davey all the best and looking forward to seeing him back at Goodison as soon as possible. Get well very quickly Dave. (Is that why BK looked so down on the big screen at half-time?)
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 24/11/2007 at 21:39:03

I spoke to the lady who works the desk at the entrance to the Suites at the Park End at the end of the game, Dave is fine and was transferred from the Royal to Broad Green to a specialist care unit but was awake and talking to his wife and when he heard the result was over the moon just disappointed he had missed the game. Dave was apparently his normal bubbly self but obviously under careful medical care.
Keith Harrison
8   Posted 24/11/2007 at 22:44:14

An absolute gentleman on the few occasions I have met him.

Speedy recovery Dave.
Roy Coyne
9   Posted 24/11/2007 at 23:41:18

A great man my feelings go out to him and his family come on Dave you?ve never lost a fight dont you dare lose this one you where and still are my first hero in blue .
Graham Rathbone
10   Posted 25/11/2007 at 00:47:15

Had a trip around Goodison last year guided by Dave Hickson,what a gentleman, nothing was too much trouble great character. I was at the game today and Everton showed a lot of the spirit made famous by Dave Hickson. I was devestated by the radio report that Dave was taken ill. Get well soon David.
Philip Curbishley
11   Posted 25/11/2007 at 06:23:58

I had the honour of watching Dave Hickson play for the Toffees many time. He always gave 100%. Why he never got an England cap was beyond me. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.
Norman Merrill
12   Posted 25/11/2007 at 07:23:03

It's great to hear that Dave is alert and bright, no surprise then that he was over the moon on hearing the result from Goodison.
Get well Dave and back to were you are most loved, your old stamping ground.
John Lloyd
13   Posted 25/11/2007 at 09:48:59

I never had the fortune of seeing him play, met on a number of occasions & he was everything an Everton legend should be, all thoughts are with you & yours Mr Hickson.

My Grandad said last night, that if Shearer was £15M & Yakubu was £11M then what would Hickson be worth today???
Amanda Huddleston
14   Posted 25/11/2007 at 10:37:34

The guy who sits behind me in the upper gwladys is a family friend a Dave and his wife.

He received a text during the second half yesterday to say Dave had had a ?massive heart attack? but was ?stable?.

Best wishes and get well soon Mr Everton.
Neil McKinney
15   Posted 25/11/2007 at 11:45:15

Again, I’m another Evertonian who is unfortunately too young to have seen him play, but "If you know your history" as I’m sure all Evertonians do, then you’ll know this man is a legend.

Get well soon Dave, we’re not ready to let you go!
Tom Edwards
16   Posted 25/11/2007 at 13:59:36

Sad news indeed.

My late father, a true blue, used to rave about Davie Hickson. He always used to say how sad it was that I never got to see him play. I don’t think I have ever heared anyone say a bad word about this true gentleman. I hope he can make a full recovery and be with us for a while longer. We have lost two of our best recently and I would not want to see Dave join them just yet.

So dad, if you are up there looking down, I hope you can wait a bit longer to have a crack with another legend. I am sure Bally and Labby will be happy to talk with you about the old days for now.
Ian Macdonald
17   Posted 25/11/2007 at 16:35:28

As you may already know Dave Hickson suffered a heart attack before the game yesterday .I?ve just spoken to a family friend Julia who has told me Dave is not out of the woods but is sitting up in bed.His wife Pat is by his side at the Royal and is being looked after well .Pat was a nurse so he is in more great hands.Julia and Derek are helping out Pat in their hours of need .
Dave is surrounded by good people and so much good will .I?m not just saying this but Pat and Dave are lovely people and help others whenever they can.They live over on the South Wirral but they belong to Everton.
Dave says he hopes to be fit for the Fulham game ,I replied is he fit enough to play ,only the last ten minutes said Julia.
Jimmy Roy
18   Posted 25/11/2007 at 21:38:14

In the mid to late fiftys I had a motor bike with a big windshield . Plastered across it was a two foot high painting ( by hand) of Davie ( Hickson) and aslightly smaller one of Bobby Collins. Dave was my idol then and I have always admired him since. Met him & his wife at one time after agame at of all places " Anfield" . Good luck & best wishes Dave you can battle your way thro anything....
Michael Brien
19   Posted 26/11/2007 at 07:49:36

My late father used to tell me great stories about Dave Hickson and how he was the great hero of the Goodison faithful in the 1950’s. Although he had retired by the time I saw my first match in 1964,I was lucky enough to see him play. Proir to the 1995 FA Cup Final vs Man Utd, there was the Everton veterans vs Man Utd veterans game. There was Dave Hickson ,alongside guys like Bob Latchford and Andy King and others maybe 20 years younger than himself but playing with great enthusiasm and skill and matching the rest. He looked that keen you would have thought they were playing for the FA Cup itself !!
A great player and by all accounts a great man. Evertonians everywhere will wish him the very best.Get well soon Dave - when Yakubu + Victor are away with Nigeria in January we will be looking to you to have your boots ready.
Helen Roberts
20   Posted 26/11/2007 at 12:20:49

Having been an everton supporter for 60 ears I was lucky enough to see Dave play. and to get his autograph I was about 15 at the time and thought he was as good as Guy Mitchell [ o.k. I,m old]. get well soon Dave you are a star.
Michael Yearwood
21   Posted 26/11/2007 at 13:07:36

Top bloke met Dave at the Fulham game he was our tour guide, he made sure he spent some time which each person.
sad news for what turned out to be a fantastic result.
Get well soon cannonball kid