Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Osman finally finding his place

Since the 04-05 season, I have not been the biggest fan of Leon Osman. At times since that season we came 4th, he has been frustrating, lightweight and innefective. Almost to the point of becoming a fans' boo-boy. And to be honest there was a part of me that agreed with the boo-boys. He wasn't in the team on merit and his performances where genrally not good enough.

But now I really do think he is finding his place in the team. He is natrually a central attacking midfielder, not a winger. He's never had the pace or strength to play outwide and this contributed alot to his run of bad form. But centrally behind Cahill and in-front of Carsley he has really shone. He wasn't as flashy as Pienaar or Arteta yesterday but he dictated a lot of what we did: his simple but effective passing, energy and quick feet. I just really think he deserves a mention.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me but in terms of technical ability and touch I would say Osman is one of the best Englishman out there. There actually aren't many out there. People talk about Lampard and Gerrard but I would call them more box-to-box instead of actual techincal ball players. He's definitely a more gifted player than Shaun Wright-Phillips and Aaron Lennon who mostly depend on pace to get past their man instead of actual football ability.

But thats the English game for you. Physical attributes over techical ability. Osman will never make the England national team because of these reasons but that is another subject. I really hope Osman keeps this form up because he is a good player and its always nice to see players coming through the academy.
Connor  Rohrer, Toxteth, Liverpool     Posted 25/11/2007 at 17:29:01

Comments

Zeya Aung
1   Posted 25/11/2007 at 20:31:32

Yea, Joe Cole said that Osman is the most rated youngster when they were at youth levels.
Jamie Yates
2   Posted 25/11/2007 at 20:21:11

Spot on mate, his goal was sheer class as well. he?s a smashing little footballer and it?s a shame guys like him always end up mentioned in sentences involving "if only he was a yard quicker/few inches taller". english football would be miles better off if players of the technical ability of our ossie were given more of a chance over the neanderthal kevin nolan types. but who cares about english football eh? it?s everton football i care about and ossie, pienaar and arteta are our very own. brilliant stuff yesterday, great to see moyesie chuffed to bits with the style, panache and killer instinct we displayed. long may it continue.
Mike Benjamin
3   Posted 25/11/2007 at 20:37:49

I have to admit I did not think ossie was capable of the performances he has been giving over the last few weeks. Sorry.....
Dan Parker
4   Posted 25/11/2007 at 21:21:23

I’ve always liked Ossie and he used to be awesome for the reserves and youth. I think it’s just taken him time to settle at the highest level.
Michael Newton
5   Posted 25/11/2007 at 22:05:00

I gave my MOM to Ossie yday he was superb
Nick Harrison
6   Posted 25/11/2007 at 22:13:08

I love him. I’ve never seen a first touch like Osman’s on any other player except Zidane. That touch buys him valuable seconds.
Simon Birdsey
7   Posted 25/11/2007 at 23:09:14

I haven’t been the biggest fan of Osman myself, but his performances this season have been superb. Good on you Moyes for sticking with him, when nobody else could see why he was in the side. Maybe we’re all missing something with Tony Hibbert?!! :-P
Barry Bragg
8   Posted 25/11/2007 at 23:24:46

When you think that yesterday?s five-man midfield cost £6m assuming Carsley = free as signed an extension and Pienaar at £2.5m agreed purchase fee at end of loan that represents a lot of good business by our manager.
Clinton Jurgens
9   Posted 26/11/2007 at 07:14:13

Osman had a good game, as did a few of the everton players... but i would still think that the player we will get in the window will replace him, leaving him as 2nd choice/impact player.

And to go as far as to say that he is better than lennon and wright-phillips, i don’t know.

but glad that he got n the goal sheet, and more so with the yak, peanuts and johnson. think it will do johnsons confidence the world of good (and i dont mean to stir up things here coz he did still score the goal, but i feel he shouldve taken the effort earlier or have a lighter touch and then shoot... he got way too close to that keeper)
Connor Rohrer
10   Posted 26/11/2007 at 08:33:11

Clinton, I meant technically he is better than Lennon and Wright-Phillips which he is but that is how English football is nowadays. Osman will never make it to that next level as he does not have those physical attributes.

Maybe he will be replaced but I very much doubt it will be in January. Moyes traditionally doesn’t use that market and I very much doubt he will have the money to spend big. We might see a player come on loan but other than that I doubt it.

Johnson’s touch did nearly let him down for his goal I noticed that but thats life. He isn’t a natural finisher for me or the most talented of strikers but he’s very useful and its nice to see him back.
Michael Newton
11   Posted 26/11/2007 at 08:42:06

Even if someone comes in January to have Osman around would show the depth of the squad.
As for the comment regarding Johnnson’s touch nearly let him down, I agree after seeing the goal again on MOTD. He did push the ball too far, and an 11m pound goalie should of smothered it, if it was 0-0 I am sure it wouldnt of gone in.
Rory Slingo
12   Posted 26/11/2007 at 08:29:22

I have to respectfully disagree here about Ossie. He did have a good game last weekend but I won’t get carried away with that performance yet. I think it just happened to be an atrocious Sunderland defence that made him look good. I thought he was unlucky when that one strike was denied by the goalkeeper’s boot and I was pleasantly surprised by the one that hit the back of the net. Shortly after though, he took another crack which went miles off the left post and I thought, "right, back to our usual programme then."

He’s like the Marcus Bent of midfield. He’ll give you 110% each game, run his socks off for you, and have 2 or 3 great games a season but somehow can’t break past this invisible barrier and perform at a high level consistenly. If he can put in the same kind of performance against better opposition in the next few matches, then you could convince me he’s starting to come on.
Connor Rohrer
13   Posted 26/11/2007 at 10:24:51

Rory, but then thats just like saying Arteta isn’t a good player. Where is he when the big guns come to town? He stays out on the wing and waits for the ball to come to him. Osman may lose it more but the one thing I admire about him is he always makes himself available and never hides.

Osman has actually had some decent games this season. Games like Wigan, Spurs, Derby, Larissa, Birmingham and Sunderland spring to mind. 4 goals and two or three assists also to add to that.

I also have doubts that Osman might not continue his form but there is no doubt about it he has been one of the main reasons this good run has started. Fingers crossed he keeps it going in his more natural position.
Kevin Fowkes
14   Posted 26/11/2007 at 11:14:22

On the subject of Andy Johnson, whats that goal celebration thing all about? Whats he doing with his fingers. Silly man! Does anyone else think the Airplane he does annoys them as well? lol
James Elworthy
15   Posted 26/11/2007 at 11:32:01

To me he appeared to be making the letter A with his fingers.
Neil McKinney
16   Posted 26/11/2007 at 11:32:21

Osman is a cracking talent and has hit some real form lately. I read one of the red tops yesterday and they only gave him a 7! I thought he was challenging Cars and Timmy for MOM. Don’t know about him being technically better than Lennon though.

Mr Fowkesvargen - I would get very annoyed with some of the goal celebrations if the players doing them were scoring for anyone else, but whilst they’re banging them in for the Blues I love it!

COYB!!
Patty beesley
17   Posted 26/11/2007 at 15:36:32

Remember when Andy scored against Liverpool and made it 3 - 0. He held three fingers up on one hand and made an o shape with the other.

Could it be that on Saturday he showed a flat palm showing 4 fingers and a thujmb and one finger across it from the other hand makes 6 and he got the sixth goal!!

I think you will find that’s what he was trying to convey and yes he can celebrate any way he wants provided he scores!!
Phill Sidney
18   Posted 26/11/2007 at 18:35:44

AJ was doing an A in a hip-hop fashion. Maybe he is trying to start an A gang, as in the A-team.
Rory Slingo
19   Posted 26/11/2007 at 19:24:27

Connor, I’d love nothing more than for Ossie to blossom into the midfielder he seems capable of becoming. Just look at how he was beaming from ear to ear after that goal, it shows how much he needed it and I felt truly happy for the lad. Let’s hope this renews his confidence and spurs him on to greater heights!

I do agree with you on Arteta and the only reason I don’t get on his back is because we’ve all seen what he can do. Even when he goes missing on those occasions, there’s still this sense of hope when he’s on the pitch whereas with Ossie, I just hope he doesn’t lose possession. I know that sounds a bit tragic, lol. But both of them seem to be linking up really well with Valente and Pienaar now, even Neville. So come on, let’s get an extended run in with this line-up and see more of the same from Satdee please!
Anthony Newell
20   Posted 26/11/2007 at 20:42:42

The trouble with Osman is he either blows very hot or very cold, it’s that consistency thing or maybe it’s just failing to deploy him only against sides where you know he can inflict some damage. When Osman goes missing, he’s a player you are carrying for the rest of the game (Liverpool game comes to mind) If someone said I’ll give you SWP or Lennon for Osman then it’s a no brainer in my mind. Congrats though Ossie for a very good goal, keep it up. Onwards and upwards. Portsmouth will be a very good yardstick for where this season is going
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
21   Posted 26/11/2007 at 20:56:06

AJ was making the letter "A" and it was the same gesture James Vaughan made when he scored his first goal after coming back from injury. Is that the link?
Gerry Western
22   Posted 26/11/2007 at 21:50:19

Osman, sadly although technically very good is simply too lightweight in stature. He always plays well when facing the less physical sides but when the opposition look to close him down he has a tendency to go missing in games this adds to the pressure placed upon other midfield players hence the reason Moyes has opted for the current formation with Tim available to get up in support of Yakubu. I think Osman will always play well in some games but sadly will be totally anonymous in others dependent on the nature of the opposition. Nonetheless he is useful in making up the numbers and on his day can sparkle against the right opposition.