Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Consistency

To my mind the most positive thing about Saturday's result is that it continues a fantastic run in three competitions. We've won 9 of our last 12 games, got a creditable draw at Chelsea and lost (undeservedly) by the odd goal to Liverpool & Newcastle. In fact we've only lost 5 in total so far and only 1 of those was by more than 1 goal. No-one has outplayed us.

Cahill coming back has obviously made a difference but we have far more quality in midfield in general now. I won't get over-excited by Saturday's result in its own right but if we continue to be consistent and add a couple of players in January I think this could be our most succesful season in a long while.
Steve Jones, Thornton     Posted 26/11/2007 at 13:23:58

Comments

Dan Mckie
1   Posted 26/11/2007 at 14:28:48

The main difference now is that we have goals in us now thanks to the form of our strikers and the creativity of the midfield! People were criticizing Yakubu for his work rate not long ago but now he is doing what he is here for and thats scoring goals,he had hardly had a touch in the game before the 11th minute but that didnt matter because it was 1 chance,1 goal! Plus Moyes in the second half was tellin him to stay up when he kept sneaking back. As for new players,I cant really think what or who we need right now and I cant think of too many times that has happened!
steve jones
2   Posted 26/11/2007 at 15:25:26

I think may be we need a holding midfielder cos if Carsley is injured we don’t want Neville or Jags in there again and a Central defender as well as Stubbs is getting any younger. If we stay in the 2 cups until January and add the FA cup in, a few injuries and we may be struglling again especially given we could be without Yobo, Pinear, The YAK & Victor at the African Nations.
John Holmes
3   Posted 26/11/2007 at 16:18:26

Pretty much agree with your Steve except to say we deserved to lose at Newcastle. We were poor that day, I was there and it was depressing.
Neil McKinney
4   Posted 26/11/2007 at 16:42:26

I totally agree that the consistency is there again. 7-1 is great and one that we’ll talk about for a while, but more importantly we continued our unbeaten run.

I’ve got high hopes for this side, but the bar has been raised and we still sit in 8th. Portsmouth, Villa, Man City, Blackburn, they’re all playing better than last season so we need to keep the pressure on. 7-1 didn’t look as good when I saw that Pompey and Villa had both won easily.

Excellent effort from everyone to keep this run going, long may it continue.

COYB!!
Jeremy Benson
5   Posted 26/11/2007 at 18:43:47

The stats don?t lie, we have done that well. Unfortunately, so have all the teams around us.

The table shows that we are struggling to break into the top 6. The only thing we can say, is that we?re a top 10 finish guaranteed this season, but whereabouts? I would love another Uefa Cup qualification - two seasons running IS the sign of progress as far as I?m concerned. And as it stands, we?re a small way short of that. We need a good run in.
Stuart Duncan
6   Posted 26/11/2007 at 19:03:49

I think one of the best things about the current run is that lots of the players are getting on the scoresheet - we aren’t dependent on one or two players scoring. And the team spirit is there for all to see.
Allan Hobbs
7   Posted 26/11/2007 at 22:33:33

We’re hardly ’struggling to break into the top 6’

We’re only 3 points behind Pompey and 4 behind the RS, hardly struggling Jeremy.

A good result against Pompey away would be a draw, and if we can nick it we’ll go above them. As long as we keep picking up points and not losing games we’ll be up there come the end of the season. Admittedly its a tougher league this year as so many teams have strengthened; but I firmly believe we’re a better team, and a better squad than Portsmouth, Blackburn, Villa and Man City. We’re the only one of those 4, 5 if you include us thats in Europe, but I see no reason why we should fall behind or struggle to keep with them over the course of a season. Our biggest threat is probably the African Nations in January - though Portsmouth will lose a few first team players as well.

Lets hope Nigeria and South African get knocked out early!