Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Where are they now (in the table!), eh?

Alan Smith [ha ha], Geremi, Jason Koumas, Mark Viduka, Kieron Richardson, Craig Bellamy and no doubt others too numerous to mention.

.These are just a few of the many names some fans were screaming at our manager for not signing in the summer. Many have signed for the (un)mighty Toon and others struggling to maintain their own fans' expectations.

I would like to hear from fellow Toffees on how they think David Moyes's buys have turned out now we are a third of the way through the season, and if any of the names linked with us would REALLY have improved us as a team.
Allan Reddish, stafford     Posted 26/11/2007 at 21:40:57

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Two things, I suppose, Allan.

1) Moyes was the one who actively tried to sign many of those players, so it wasn't just the fans wanting them but I congratulate him for not caving in to either the excessive wage demands (Smith) or inflexibility (Bellamy).

2) Who's to say that under Moyes some of these players wouldn't have turned out to be great signings?

Ean Nesta
1   Posted 27/11/2007 at 05:18:25

well, had we signed bellamy - he would prob be fit because he?d be on the bench with his mouth taped shut!
Ed Fitzgerald
2   Posted 27/11/2007 at 09:27:29

Allan, Koumas would have been a good addition and give us something different. The rest are not up to it.
Mark Hill
3   Posted 27/11/2007 at 09:29:50

To answer your question, I guess Moyes looks for players who are willing to give everything to the cause and get stuck in no questions.
Yakubu, he has his critics, but he is scoring the goals, 11m? But what price for a regular goalscorer in the Premier league please anyone?????
Cahill, fantastic buy quality all over for the money. Arteta, best buy bar none...in my own humble opinion. Makes the team tick, tricky nobody likes playing against him. Frankly had we not snapped him up for what i consider to be daylight robbery he would be playing against us...imagine.....!
Pienaar - i would suggest he is starting to produce some form after a shaky start, where he may not have been as fit as he could. Maybe the league he came from doesn’t require the level of fitness we at Everton demand??
Tim Howard. not the greatest, (Southall) but safe as houses, a good solid keeper dependable. Carsley was wally buy wasn’t he? But he has come on leaps and bounds under Moyes stewardship. Baines I haven’t seen enough of so the jury’s out for me...but looks good in places. Johnson, again has his critics, but give him a chance and mor often than not will score the goals. He did suffer from playing in a team where creating chances wasn’t exactly at a premium, with safety first policy, love him!
Lescott - could be a legend.....
VDM - flop, McFadden....inconsistent will never play regularly for us. I could spend all day here, but i would be interested to see what fellow Toffee’s think....!?
Nick Smith
4   Posted 27/11/2007 at 09:36:54

I think the point perfectly illustrates the fundamental problem with players in the Premier League. Outside of the very best, there are a whole host of overpaid, predominantly average players who will only perform well when coached well or if they play for a very good squad. That is where good management can make a crucial difference to a player. Koumas has a whole heap of talent, but it seems that since his Tranmere days, no manager has been able to develop that. Maybe Moyes could? In our current squad Koumas would be a half-decent back up to Arteta.
Goughy
5   Posted 27/11/2007 at 10:19:48

Personally i believe that any player who chooses Newcastle over us in the mistaken belief that they are "a big club", and moreover for the money, deserves everything they get.

Stand up Smith, Barton, Parker..etc

I think it’s hard to judge whether players would have been any better or worse for us, but i must admit to enjoying a wry smile for every one who is in a worse off position.

You have to want to come to this mighty club..if we’re having to convince people, or talk them away from somewhere else, they’re not the type of player i want to see at Everton.
David Whitwell
6   Posted 27/11/2007 at 10:31:39

I for one am very happy with the signings Moyes made in the summer, I do agree that perhaps Koumas could have been good at Everton, still however I am gutted by the Fernandes saga. I really believe that had we captured him we would now have had a squad capable of challenging the top 4. I’m not a great follower of Spanish football but does anybody know how he has got on at Valencia?
Danny Latham
7   Posted 27/11/2007 at 11:03:21

Its funny as I really thought Moyes had made a big mistake not signing Nugent, how wrong was I. I still believe he will become an ample player but he is proving like Beattie in the championship it is a very very different league
Terry Riley
8   Posted 27/11/2007 at 11:39:21

To give an answer to David Whitwell, Ronald Koeman switched clubs from PSV to Valencia, shortly thereafter he kicked Fernandes and Joachin out of the first team because wasn?t happy with things in and around the dressing room.
Looks like we got away with something to me!
Marcus Dawson
9   Posted 27/11/2007 at 14:02:01

I think what?s happening is a result of sticking with a bright manager who has a credible long-term plan. As Lyndon said, if he?d bought those targets who?s to say that they wouldn?t have worked out under Moyes management. For the first time I?m beginning to feel that we are geuinely closing the gap on the rich clubs, emulating Arsenal and proving that it?s not all about money. How much more satisfying it feels to be building, rather than buying, for success. Just hope I?m right.
Stefan Tosev
10   Posted 27/11/2007 at 14:38:33

From all the players we have been linked and missed Barton is the one I would have taken, Cars may have another season in him but strong defensive midfielder is a must next term
Kieran Fitzgerald
11   Posted 27/11/2007 at 17:48:10

I think what appealed to me about Alan Smith is that he would have added some badly needed bite to the team. As Stefan has said, Carsley doesn?t have much time left. I don?t mean a hatchet man type figure but Arsenal really missed Viera for example. Sissoko as another example was being lined up to provide that bite before Liverpool snapped him up.

By the way, read a while ago that Sissoko was on his way out of Liverpool. Would anyone rate him at this stage for the January transfer window?