Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Is Pienaar really good?

I've just read this article on ICLiverpool.co.uk about Saturday's game by Nigel Martyn. "Still, though, it needs a magnificent effort to score seven times in a Premier League fixture and, don?t forget, there were some terrific pieces of skill to open Sunderland up, and I?d have to pick out Steven Pienaar?s effort as the best of the bunch.

Both he and Nuno Valente showed terrific desire to get in to the areas which made things impossible for Sunderland to deal with and that capped a great individual display. He, like the rest of the team, will now head to Portsmouth brimming with confidence"
Elton Willenburgh, Durban     Posted 27/11/2007 at 19:12:47

Comments

Michael Kenrick
In annswer to your question, Yes. Pienaar really is good. I love watching him and I really enjoyed that goal. Compare his body languague with that of Ossie on his mazy run.... which one looks like the complete natural footballer? (Sorrym, Ossie ? no offence!)
Jay Harris
1   Posted 27/11/2007 at 21:25:52

Michael

Sorry I have to totally disagree with you.Much maligned Ossie is involved in most of our link-up play, is more of a goal threat and is always back defending.
It?s also a lot easier down the flanks than playing through the middle.Its also much tougher to run with the ball than to pass and go.

Let's praise both players equally but if I had to choose one it would be Osman.
Stig Meacham
2   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:08:51

Hi Elton,

Yes, he’s really good! A joy to watch, and improving with every match. While he does make a couple unforced errors a game, most seem to be borne of trying something clever. At least he goes for it.

Fantastic find from our scouts. Hope we secure him come January. Letting him get away at the end of the season would make missing out on Fernandes seem trifling.
Dave Roberts
3   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:21:59

That little feint to allow the ball to run to Neville for his little backheel was class! There’s a post somewhere with a link to youtube that shows it. It’s worth a second look!
Dave Roberts
4   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:26:40

Found it. Scroll down to Connor Rohrer ’Everton Enjoying their Football’ It really is a joy to watch!
Keith Glazzard
5   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:41:27

Yes, Steve Pienaar is that good, amazing that he fitted into the Premier stuff so quickly - he’ll be something else in Europe I hope. He’s not a youngster, neither is Nuno V and although we all might think of him as a son, is Leon.

What a luxury to put AJ, Faddy, James, Tim, Victor and Yak to one side and think about fabulous goals. Pienaar - Valente - Pienaar, my pick of the 7. But against Larissa (YouTube - commentary in Greek, and they were impressed) Arteta - Baines - Pinaar - Osman.

As many have said, if the RS or similar shite had scored that one, it would already be goal of the season.
Stig Meacham
6   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:56:08

Thanks, Dave...

Cap’n Phil’s backheel pass!! Moment of the match for me! When something like that happens, we know it’s a decent result for our side ;)

Lars Eidissen
7   Posted 27/11/2007 at 23:58:16

With regards to Michael and Jay’s disagreement: It’s always so much easier to heap praise on the fresh, new and ideally (it would seem), foreign. So much harder to put belief in home-grown and "old".

Because Ossie has been around longer, we are more aware of his flaws - Pienaar’s are likely to become more apparant with time too.

But they are both fine footballers, and for the past few months apparantly both moving in the right direction, spurred on by a great wave of confidence, both personal, and running through the entire team.
Connor Rohrer
8   Posted 28/11/2007 at 00:09:20

I can’t understand why people are so surprised. He has always been a quality footballer. He had a blip in Dortmund last year but that was only because they struggled as a team. Now with confidence and a run of games he is showing his quality of old.

I think when he first came people where expecting a lightning winger who was going to go past the fullback but thats not Pienaar’s style. Dont get me wrong he’s nippy and skillful but he’s main attributes are his awareness, intelligence, short one touch passing and football brain. He also has excellent movement. I would rather us have attacking central players out wide like Ossie, Stevie P and Mikky because especially in a team like ours they help us keep the ball. Wingers are more selfish and less team players. Wenger doesn’t play with wingers and its obvious Moyes’s doesn’t fancy it either.

What also impresses me about Pienaar is he is an Everton type player. From the likes of Alan Ball going all the way through to Mikel Arteta our talented players have alway been hardworking and Pienaar fits that description. He is small like but he does get stuck in and he’s a work hoarse. Snap him up!!!!!!!!!!
Colin Smith
9   Posted 28/11/2007 at 01:01:37

I think Connor has hit the nail on the head about Pienaar, snap him up now. Further, I would say the best thing about Saturday was the movement displayed between Arteta, Osman & Pienaar All three switched around between right, left & centre, running the Mackems ragged..

Let us not leave Cahill out of the mix, there is a lot more to him than his goals. While he?s not Arteta in terms of vision & touch - he still got good control & can spot a pass. Everton have some tough games coming up, starting with
Portsmouth, but there is no reason be scared of any team now!
Gerry Morrison
10   Posted 28/11/2007 at 01:24:47

I live in Los Angeles so
I am not sure if the match was on in England. Last week the USA played South Africa and it was on the telly here. Stevie P. was easily the man of the match. He was head and shoulders above the rest. The people I was watching the game with couldn?t believe that they had never heard of him before.
Nick Veitch
11   Posted 28/11/2007 at 03:28:06

Keith, just a small insignificant clarification. Ossie’s goal in the Larissa game was CAHILL - Baines - Pienaar - Osman. Check the footage.
Few people have made the same mistake. Everyone seems to think it was arteta to baines, but it was in fact Cahill who held it back and played a wonderful through ball for Baines.
Erik Dols
12   Posted 28/11/2007 at 06:55:14

Connor’s spot on. Pienaar really is that good. As some of you might know, I know my Dutch football as I live here.

He was really good as an Ajax-player. Although he didn’t exactly fit in their wing-play standard system, he always played when fit. He’s got composure, he’s got football intelligence, he’s got the working rate and the heart of a Spartan warrior. He can score goals and his passing, especially on short range like Connor says, is really great. The season Ajax last reached the quarter finals in the Champions League, Pienaar was in top form in Europe and one of the driving forces behind their campaign. I was surprised he left for struggling Dortmund and not for some bigger English or Italian team, although I did understand it from the perspective of playing regularly.

If he was two or three inches longer and had the matching physique and body weight, he could become a real world star. I guess now he always will come short in terms of his physique, but he still is a class act and a player Everton should sign. If the rumoured transfer fee of 2 million is true, he’s a bargain.
Billy Bonds
13   Posted 28/11/2007 at 09:20:26

I don?t know why we don?t try and sign him NOW. FA regs state if a player is on loan, they can be signed at anytime (Howard deal prime example), so why wait. I have a bad feeling that something might go wrong, but I hope it doesn?t because I think he is class. I would just like one more class midfielder in the centre who can take players on etc
Morgan Jones
14   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:01:23

Sign him.
Allan Hobbs
15   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:33:09

We seem to go over every few days on here.

We cant sign him until the loan deal ends; the contract states that we have first refusal AT THE END of the current contract.

I will be amazed if we dont sign him, DM says he’d love to take him, and Pienaar has stated his desire to sign on a perm deal. Just be patient and wait till the loan expires, then he’s ours.
Sean Galway
16   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:37:26

Pienaar was a good midfielder when he was at Ajax. He has improved immensely and has shown sides of him becoming a great midfilder. He has Pace, Skill, Passing Ability, Shot Accuracy etc. So to me that suggests he should be a definate buy for our club. And at £1.5 - 2 million (how much Dortmund want for him) that is an apsalute steal.
Billy Bonds
17   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:48:23

Yeah Tim Howard had the same type of contract when he was on loan and we pulled all the stops out to sign him before the end of it, so it can be done.
Liam Young
18   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:53:13

Leon osman is a great lad, has his heart in the right place, good skill, and such an underrated finisher. And pienaar is growing by the day, he had a hard time of it at dortmund, but now he is finding the form he had as an ajax youngster. All we need now is an up and coming strong holding midfielder to break up the play and learn form lee carsley. Hope thats our target in january, as long as its not fernandes, that ship has sailed!.
Mike Dayton
19   Posted 28/11/2007 at 15:22:03

Great footballer. I rate him very highly and works well with Arteta and Valente. Smart player and one we need to snap up. He will only get better. Listen to Arteta he’ll tell you.
Shawn Maphalla
20   Posted 04/12/2007 at 07:55:49

Steven Pienaar is pure class. I am a South African and we have always known that. I
can recall the game when Arsenal played Ajax in the champions league and he played in central midfield and totally out played an in form Viera. He also starred when Ajax played AC Millan. He was one of the best at Ajax and went to Germany to get ready physically for the Premiership. That did not work out because the team was struggling. If Everton does not sign him other teams will and it will be a loss.