Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Manuel Fernandes

Looks like Manny is struggling to adapt to life in La Liga, with injury and loss of form. Therefore I think Everton should try and buy this player on the cheap (i.e. £12M max), he's young, class and made for Everton!

Who knows what really went on back in August, reading between the lines I took it as more evertons failure to agree a deal with Benfica/MSI as to why it fell through.

We need a class creative ball playing midfielder, this for me is the only big missing peice of the jigsaw from having a serious CL competing team, with manny in from the start I rekon we'd be in the top 4 now. Specifiically I'm thinking of defeats at Newcastle and Villa were we painfully lacked a playmaker in the centre of the park.

Manny, come home lad!
Brian Taylor, Manchester     Posted 27/11/2007 at 19:53:55

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Err... didn't we just have this debate already? Can't be arsed to find the thread and I'm sure there be plenty ready to repeat what they said last time...
Harj Mulararwanitheram
1   Posted 27/11/2007 at 21:37:18

If he is avail - cheaper and we can agree terms with MSI then yep go for it. I cant see it happening though Moyes will not go back to players who let him down
Dutch Schaffaer
2   Posted 27/11/2007 at 21:38:18

This guy has pissed all over our beloved club. He smiled, said all the right things, agreed to join in principal and then did a bigger deal on the sly.

Why should we sign him? He has proven himself to have no honor and now he’s flopped at another club.

Don’t want anything to do with the guy.
Dave Roberts
3   Posted 27/11/2007 at 21:52:48

Certainly not for £12 m now. Maybe £4m because the lad does have class. But is he any better than Pienaar? Remains to be seen. Valencia aint going to sell him for £4m so I reckon Manny is going to do the rounds of the usual Euroclubs, probably without ever getting anywhere. Tough, he could have made it at Everton but he, or his ’owners’ blew it.Shame.
Dave Southword
4   Posted 27/11/2007 at 21:59:00

Pienaar works much harder contributing more than Manny’s eye-catching "soundbite" style of football. Maybe Moyes could develop him into a more rounded footballer, but I would rather spend the money getting Pienaar locked in and a proper replacement for Carsley.
Peter Pridgeon
5   Posted 27/11/2007 at 22:18:01

I doubt Moyes would go for him after what happened.

What’s this tired, lazy old cliché ’missing piece of the jigsaw’ isn’t that what the shite have been saying for years. This year Torres was the 25 million pound missing piece of the jigsaw.

What tripe. How long does the jigsaw stay together? no sooner have you found the final piece and the first two you put together no longer fit.

Teams change and I would bet anyone that this team is an evolving work in progress for David Moyes. It would not surprise me if Cahill, Arteta and Yakubu are not plying their trade for Everton in two years time and Moyes has cashed in (like his mentor SAF) and found some new or emerging talent or for that matter flop.
Karl Masters
6   Posted 27/11/2007 at 23:08:27

buy this player on the cheap (i.e. £12M max),

ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?

a record signing is buying a player on the cheap?

Personally, I would like to see him at the Club, BUT ONLY if he cost half that figure with none of this MSI crap and only if his failure to sign in August was out of his hands. If it was his decision, buying him would cause unrest in the dressig room and undermine our biggest current asset - the Team spirit.
Paul Coldock
7   Posted 28/11/2007 at 01:40:49

I agree we do need another quality midfielder, especailly if anything happens to either Arteta or Cahill. I think, though, that the door on a Fernandes deal is well and trully shut
Stig Meacham
8   Posted 28/11/2007 at 06:37:01

He can rot.
Derek Thomas
9   Posted 28/11/2007 at 06:53:39

’He can rot’..... as Capt. Mainwaring used to mutter, ’ stupid boy’.
I seem to remember a lot said that about Gravesen.
It was Tommy this and Tommy that and Tommy go to hell. He was part of the thin blue line of heroes when Bolton came along.

Off nose cut face spite to...re arrange.

1) Everybody should get a 2nd chance.

2) we could get a better bargin than before.

3)I we still have the money.

4) we have ’ try (d) before you buy’

5) He is a class young player, maybe a bit silly or poorly advised...and you can’t have too many class young players
Ross Trotter
10   Posted 28/11/2007 at 07:33:59

He was starting on Sunday for Valencia!

There is no possible evidence that he is struggling to adapt at all. They’ve jsut got a new manager in and he’s playing him.

Waste of peoples time!
Clinton Jurgens
11   Posted 28/11/2007 at 07:33:03

I’d take him back... don’t think moyes would tho, but dammit sometimes you gotta swallow your pride (both of them in this case).

He’s learnt a valuable lesson and hopefully it’ll serve him well in the future, whether he comes to everton or not.
James Elworthy
12   Posted 28/11/2007 at 08:41:25

Buy Manny on the cheap 12m are you having a laugh 12 million cheap, the boy is a decent player but I would expect a hell of a lot better player than him for 12m
Tom Morris
13   Posted 28/11/2007 at 09:00:40

Have him back !? After agreeing to sign for us in the summer and then buggering off and signing for someone else ?

You?d seriously consider dealing with him and his agents again after the way they behaved ? It just won?t happen, mate. And nor should it.

He?s not that good anyway. A skillful fanny merchant with a tendency to disappear from view when things get a bit tough.

Bollocks to him. Let?s all move on.
Danny Mul
14   Posted 28/11/2007 at 09:02:18

No second chances should be given in my opinion. Our squad is full of players who WANT to play for the blue jersey. They understand what it is like to be a blue, and feel privelidged to be fghting fo rthe cause. Manuel Fernandes had his chance, chose not to be a blue and selected to go to Valencia at the eleventh hour. He made his bed let him sleep in it.
Spend any spare funds on a young and hungry replacement for Carsley, and as someone else said earlier Pienaar.
Harj Mulararwanitheram
15   Posted 28/11/2007 at 09:04:00

The Fact was that Manny was offered more money - so he went- all you guy?s cant honestly say that if you were offered more money then you would say no?

The Lads young, talented and most likely Ill advised by agents - I?d have him back - pure Class - Much better then Pienaar IMO.
John Jones
16   Posted 28/11/2007 at 10:05:36

Isn?t he still 50% owned by the 3rd party? so it would be £12m for 50% and encountering the same problems once again...

didn?t think that one through did ya...

David Whitwell
17   Posted 28/11/2007 at 10:18:33

My concern would be do we want someone who can’t make it at Valencia, if indeed that is true. Obviously Moyes seems to have an ability to get more out of people i.e. Arteta/Yakubu/Pinear but he was reluctant in the 1st place and only bid at the 11th hour so I can only presume that he has doubts. Does anybody know the position with Appiah now? I think he would make the perfect long-term replacement for Carsley and really add some steel & craft to our squad, I seem to remember in the last world cup he outshone Essien.
Graham Eaves
18   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:09:53

The only reason he’s not getting a game at Valencia(apart from his recent injuries) is because Koeman is now there.It was common knowledge that while they were both at Benfica they never saw eye to eye.
I’d have him back in a shot if the price was right
Alex Henderson
19   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:12:26

If Fernandes is available at a decent price and we can sort out the issues regarding his ownership, then yes we should do all we can to take him back.

He let us all down over the summer, but can you really blame him? He was a young lad, frustrated by the the Premier League?s complicated rules on ownership, and was offered a chance to play for a quality Champions League Club in a far nicer climate, for substancially more money.

Yet we all know what a talent he is. I don?t know why it is not working out for him at Valencia, but he is very highly rated in Portugal, and excelled during his stay here.

He could be a long-term replacement for Carsley of genuine quality. In financial terms he is a sound investment. And, apart from anything, signing him would demonstrate real ambition - vital if we want to persuade the likes of Lescott and Arteta to stay.
Clinton Jurgens
20   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:23:34

I’m just imagining Fernandes playing behind pienaar chaill and arteta. that would be magical.

Appiah would be lovely too tho.

Isnt it funny to see how many people now slate him as ’not that great a player’... amazing. he’s a class player you twots. whether he comes back or not... don’t confuse your anger at him leaving for his ability. oh and i bet you werent cheering along when he made a fool out of the gunners neither huh?
Sean Galway
21   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:53:21

He is class i will admit that (the goal against Man U proves it) but he caused alot of unnessassery fuss about his 3rd club ownership and the fact that we were paying £12 million for only 50% of him. I wont lie. I was really excited at the prospect of us buying him, but after he agreed ?in prinicple? he went and joined a club for more money and who wont give him 1st team opportunities. Therefore he has turned his back on this club and its supporters and should never wear the might blue strip again in my oppinion. Let him rot in the Valencia Reserves because I dont want anything to do with him.
James Elworthy
22   Posted 28/11/2007 at 12:58:12

The 3 players I know of Tevez, Mascherano and Fernandes, with 3rd party ownership cost an absolute fortune, even the RS who have to pay 17m for Mascherano think he is worth 9m max.
I wouldnt touch a player with 3rd party ownership with a barge pole, the quicker FIFA ban it the better.
The third parties want a profit from their purchase whereas as clubs sell players on irrespective if they make a profit or loss
Chris Masey
23   Posted 28/11/2007 at 13:57:51

I personally watched every game of Fernandes brief spell at Everton and although majestic at times, I thought he went missing in some of the big games. 12 million is overpriced and I honestly don’t think we need him, even though there seems to be a large group of people on this site that thinks he shitted class.

So I ask you all this. When the agents and moneymen turned round and said we’re actually selling you to Valencia, did he start kicking and screaming wanting to play for Everton? No, he followed what they said like a lapdog. Didn’t want to play for the shirt in my opinion, we don’t need players like that.
Glen Strachan
24   Posted 28/11/2007 at 14:56:46

Appiah would be a superb buy and he has been quoted as ?wanting to play in England? although I have no idea if his club would even be willing to release him in January and of course there is still a transfer fee and salary levels to follow that.

I suspect he is more likely to join us during the summer.

I spoke recently to some journos at a French soccer magazine . They had , in recent years , covered many youth international tournaments and written about the players they came across there.

To a man they rated Pienaar far above Fernandes although they did believe both would improve with age as their stamina levels rose.

They might have been wrong about that but there was no bias in their views - just a comparison of footballers and they did believe that Fernandes was capable of around ten/fifteen minutes of contribution in any half but that he would then go and rest for the next half hour.

Some of our posters have mentioned teams with?money to burn? like Portsmouth.........I wonder if ?Old Arry? will be offering £12 million for Manny any time soon.

Appiah.............different class............a real man....and he can tackle too !
Joe McParland
25   Posted 28/11/2007 at 22:18:23

Cant see Moysey signing him as he is cup tied in Europe. He came on after 35 mins for Valencia tonite.
Brian Garside
26   Posted 29/11/2007 at 22:42:17

If DM is looking at Sissoku then he better be looking at Fernandes.
I don´t want either!!!