Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Mailbag Clarification

Just a short note for the small group of contributors who are having problems getting their views heard here on ToffeeWeb. I apolgise in advance for clogging up the mailbag with this but I can't think of any other way to reach those who are giving us false names and e.mail addresses. Yes, "Sylvia Lymbery", I'm thinking especially of you.

Submitting your comments under a variety of very creative aliases was fun for a while, no doubt. But we track incoming by IP address and comparing styles soon made it clear to us what you were doing, which is why your last 30 or so contributions have been queued for review rather than posted directly. You are not alone: we also monitor other posters who are unable to meet the minimal conditions for posting here on ToffeeWeb.

You may object to revealing your identity and that's fine. It just means your opinion will not be heard on these pages. If that opinion is worth hearing, we reason that it is also worth standing behind. Which means giving us your full name (no nicknames please) and providing a valid e.mail address. It's really not that much to ask. Thanks!
Michael Kenrick, ToffeeWeb Towers     Posted 29/11/2007 at 03:37:52

Comments

Richard Dodd
1   Posted 29/11/2007 at 09:17:40

Whilst I fully appreciate your desire to certify the true identity of postersin the Mailbag,the circumstances which have led to my identification and subsequent suspension from work pending a disciplinary hearing may well be a lesson to those who use their genuine names when posting via office computers.
Take care Big Brother is watching-and he may well be an Evertonian!
Dan Sedlak
2   Posted 29/11/2007 at 09:54:28

Good luck Doddy!
Ray Roche
3   Posted 29/11/2007 at 09:59:46

Shame.Some of the posts that used aliases like Walter Smith or Gordon Lee provided some light relief from the Moyes slagging monotony that sometimes clouds these pages. I can see the point,though. Hope all is ok for Doddy.
Ben Dover
4   Posted 29/11/2007 at 10:05:22

That explains why mine never get posted. It’s not my fault if I have a comedy name!
Steve Templeton
5   Posted 29/11/2007 at 10:14:15

Firstly, Richard I hope all goes well with your job. The person who ’dobbed’ you in is an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of themsleves.

I can’t believe that a fellow Evertonian could do that to another Evertonian - unbelievable.

Secondly, Michael why was my post edited yesterday on the Phil Neville thread?

Was it because you don’t agree with my pro-Moyes views?
Brian Waring
6   Posted 29/11/2007 at 11:21:58

While it is bang out of order Doddy being blown up (maybe he should have contributed his posts from home) Michael is right, if you genuinely believe in the point you are trying to put accross you shouldn?t hide behind an alias. One great example is Tony Marsh, he gets hammered everytime he makes a contribution, but you never see him hiding behind a blag name, and the same can be said of Doddy.
Harry Dean
7   Posted 29/11/2007 at 11:23:19

Oh dear Michael.
I read this editorial clamp down with great sadness.

Throughout the history of the written word, people have used alias?s for a variety of reasons.

Please explain what it is that forces you to take such action.

Everyone from Boz to Pendennis to George Orwell have not used thier real names and carried on writing and airing their views. Would you be banning a contributor called Dutch, or is it ok if you know the person.
If you have been known by your nickname for your whole life, is this not good enough for you to use this when posting?
Newspapers, magazines and authors all have unknown contributors. br />
You should reconsider this editorial move or your Independent site will become a little less Independent.

Whatever next. Are you saying if all these people use their real names you will submit their posts in their entireity.

Don?t lose that little bit of specialness that is Toffeeweb. Some of the most thought provoking and funniest posts come from alias?s.

This is not a step forward for the group that call themselves Evertonians.

Guys. Dont turn into all those other bland websites. For the love of Everton and our first trophy in years, reconsider.
A blue who uses his real name, but appreciates and understands those that dont.
COYB
Brian Waring
8   Posted 29/11/2007 at 11:54:27

Harry, while I can see your point of view, is it okay for fans to post a piece absolutely slating Tony Marsh or even Richard Dodd, accusing them of being a redshite and calling them every name under the sun and then hiding behind an alias?
Harry Dean
9   Posted 29/11/2007 at 12:05:18

Brian.
Why are they hiding?
What are you going to do?
Track down the name of the person you see or the view you don?t like?
It is a forum for views.
The stupid posts are stupid posts, plain and simple.
How do you know that any name seen is their real name.
It is a retrograde step my friend and something China, Russia, South Korea and other such countries are specialists in.
Are Evertonians and Toffeeweb not robust enough to bat away a few idiots.
As lopng as it?s not racist or gratuitously offensive then what is the problem.
Scousers and those associated with the club are funny people.
Let the masses post.
It is a fine line between censorship and dictatorship.
Toffeeweb have control over a very valuable asset and probably the best footy website around.
Banning such post will change all that.
It is a magical site with a miriad of contributors.
Let me put forward one more thought.
What if one of those non real name posters is a current player or an ex player?
They could never use their real name.
Are we to refuse such people a voice.
We are Toffees, Evertonians and The Peoples Club. We have put up with far worse than a few rogue posters.
Get a grip Toffeeweb and reconsider.
Harry Dean or not Harry Dean
Erik Dols
10   Posted 29/11/2007 at 12:24:41

Harry, Toffeeweb is not a democracy nor a dictatorship. It is not a country. It is a website run by individuals. Although I understand your points, your comparison is flawed.

I think Toffeeweb is such a great site because it gives space for different opinions, without being the standard bashing-childish abuse site so many internet sites are these days. To prevent the latter, they need rules for the mailbag. It is up to the Toffeeweb-team to choose the rules they think are appropriate.

Of course, you can make your voice heard, like you do just now. If nothing changes and you still feel uncomfortable, vote with your feet: just stay away from toffeeweb.

And BTW, I don’t think Michael is referring to tongue-in-cheeck mailbag-comments from ’Riquelme’ or ’David Moyes’, just to name two examples. The funny posts will still reach the mailbag, I reckon.

The reason I come here is because of the quality of the debates. I’m afraid that less rules will lower the quality drastically. I’m not looking for the next bash-and-slash forum.

Keep it up, toffeeweb!
Godfrey Blumenthal
11   Posted 29/11/2007 at 13:32:54

I think there has to be a respect for people’s wish to remain anonymous, whether for reasons such as Mr Dodd’s disciplinary, or because some people seem to come onto this site to vent their pent up anger and frustration and you never know who you are arguing with. I have been abused on this site for my views before, but I am not asking for those people to be kicked off the site. I am asking for the right to remain somewhat anonymous to those angry so and so’s.

I use the same alias every time I post and I have a valid e-mail address under the same name.

I will happily stand by my points but unless somebody wants to come round to mine to congratulate me on the veracity of my claims, or the eloquent way in which they were expressed, I can’t see why they need to know my name. If this admission now results in my being banned from posting then so be it. I shall also get my Everton news elsewhere.
Godfrey Blumenthal
12   Posted 29/11/2007 at 13:42:03

P.S. I am the only person in Britain with my real surname except my sisters, and they don’t post on Toffeeweb so I could be identified in a shot if someone wanted to. If you type my real name into google there I am at the top of the page.
Tony Williams
13   Posted 29/11/2007 at 13:56:29

Just checking I am OK to post as I do not have a dedicated e-mail address only a Hotmail one.
Peter Singer
14   Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:11:55

Godfrey, same for me.

But I think we’re overreacting it a bit. The original post was about someone who posted under an alias _and_ failed to provide a valid email address.

If Michael wanted to know my real name, all he had to do is to drop me an email.
It’s not that simple if you give a false email address, however.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
15   Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:35:02

From my perspective, it?s not the need for everyone to have to post under their real names (Doddy's case shows that sometimes you either want to or have to), more the desire to prevent people abusing the site by using multiple names.

I think as long as you use a consistent name and persona, then there?s no problem. We?re hopeful of implementing a system soon to make that an acceptable reality while also requiring a valid e-mail address.

And Tony W, as long as the e-mail address is valid (i.e. we can contact you on it and you reply!) then you're fine. When we get a combination of inane post + multiple aliases + invalid e-mail address, then that's a recipe to have your submissions vetted. The point isn't make it difficult for the honest contributor, rather to preserve (as much as is possible) the kind of standard that keeps you coming back to TW in the first place :)

Steve Lyth
16   Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:59:25

Shit Richard, I hope you only get a rap on the knuckles and all goes well for you lad, best of luck
Roy Coyne
17   Posted 29/11/2007 at 21:34:32

Doddy mate sorry to hear what a low life coward you must work with ,are you sure its a blue most of us that do not agree with what you say still look forward to reading your posts good luck and make the scum back regret his actions.
Rob Jones
18   Posted 01/12/2007 at 20:03:24

My opinion is slated every time I put it up (MK! lol) but I still use the same name and email address. I think that if you want to air your views you should use your own name unless your case is like Doddys.