Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The Big 6

This years Title race may look like it's already sown up with Arsenal racing off but who will finish in the top 6? I predict;

Arsenal Man Utd Chelsea Man City Villa /RS Everton/Portsmouth FA Cup winners - Chelsea League Cup - Everton

Man City are doing what Everton and to a degree Spurs did, they are keeping up with the top teams. I hope I'm wrong and we finish in the top 4 but with the massive fixture list coming up and the Nigerian players we will lose in the early part of 2008 I can't see us doing it.
Dave O'Brien, Southend on Sea     Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:04:38

Comments

Brian Noble
1   Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:32:17

I know I am a ’glass half empty merchant ’but my worry is that we have already lost 5 games against Portsmouth’s 2 and City,Villa and Blackburn’s 3.
This makes Saturday’s game crucial and it is an absolute must that we don’t slip up against any more of the ’low lifes’.
Personally,I fear we shall do well to claim an 8th place finish which makes it vital we have a cup success.
Lee Penswick
2   Posted 29/11/2007 at 15:39:24

It will sbe the same top ?4? as usual. I don't think their dominance will wane 'til next year. I then expect us with 2 or 3 more top players to create a top ?5?. I believe City will have future problems with their Thai owners. Villa's squad is nowhere near as good as ours in terms of quality. Pompey?s have a good nucleus but are a couple of years off yet.
Liam Loftus
3   Posted 29/11/2007 at 16:24:53

I personally think you overestimate City. Yes, they have done very well but every time i look at their fixture its a game i think "they should win" and got me wondering when they're due a tricky run of fixtures, so i looked it up and their December January fixtures look like this...

Wigan (A), Spurs (H), Bolton (H), Villa (A), Blackburn (H), Liverpool (H), Newcastle (A), Everton (H), Derby (A), Arsenal (H), Man Utd (A), Eveton (H)

Let's see were they are after that run, instead of their Sunderland at home, Reading home etc which is all they seem to have had recently..!
Gav Jones
4   Posted 29/11/2007 at 16:32:46

I think we’re best equipped after City to break the ’big 4’. Then again that’s simply down to the fact that we’re mixing a great team spirit with some good football at the moment. Is it true that only Arsenal have outscored us in the League this season? Were we to lose at the weekend a lot of this new found optimism would disappear from the fans though.

Liverpool are winning or drawing ugly at the moment and fingers crossed it can’t last forever. If they were to slip up I really think that if we can get that midfielder in January we’ll have a chance, provided Stubbs is fit enough to cover for Yobo.

It’s so tight at the top at the moment that it’s hard to predict but I don’t think Villa are strong enough all round and whilst Portsmouth’s squad is quite big they’ll lose about 7 first teamers to the ANC and I don’t think they’ve got the same standard of back-up player that we currently do. These 2 clubs along with City have more money to invest than us in January of course but of course it’s sometimes a difficult task to introduce these players in the middle of a season.

It’s a big if but if we keep Arteta and Cahill fit then as long as one of Yakubu, Vaughan or Johnson is fit enough to play with them then I think we can beat anyone. Except United away, that’ll never happen.
Joe McParland
5   Posted 29/11/2007 at 16:47:18

Zenit 0 Nurnberg 1 at half time.
Raymond Roche
6   Posted 29/11/2007 at 18:13:55

Zenit 2 Nurnberg 2 ft
Jimmy Last
7   Posted 29/11/2007 at 20:10:00

A top 6 finish this season will be a massive result for us me thinks, and eventhough we did it last year, the likes of portsmouth, city, and villa all look that much better this year, so it is going to be tough.....but if we keep playing the football we are at the moment and tighten up a bit more at the back then there is no reason why we shouldnt be able to achieve it and finish ahead of the above.....
Gavin Harris
8   Posted 29/11/2007 at 20:20:55

Yes, Liam, but have you seen their home record? They are excellent at home and most of the tricky ones are home.

I agree that sat is a must for us, if we win that game we have a brilliant chance of getting another 3 against fulham.
Jimmy Last