Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Yakubu ? Times podcast

I'm not sure who has listened to this, but in last week's Times podcast with Gabriele Marcotti and Guillem Balague, they were talking about our win over Sunderland. After a brief summary of the match, Guillem Balague states that Yakubu was not one of DM's signings. Has anyone else heard this, and if so, could you enlighten us with the details? Both of the above named journalists are well connected and seem to know what's going on throughout the footballing world.
Matt Geraghty, Warrington     Posted 30/11/2007 at 12:18:47

Comments

Michael Kenrick
I think that is a reference to the suspicion voiced in some quarters that the signing of Yakubu was foisted on David Moyes by Bill Kenwright as something of a panic transfer when the moves for various other strikers in the summer (Nugent, Smith, Ezquerro, Ameobi etc) fell through.

Howvever, the Yakubu stories began early in August, and a long drawn-out transfer saga resulted well before he was finally signed, a few days before the deadline. Did that reflect Moyes having numerous second thoughts/serious reluctance about a player whose energy levels were clearly well below anything Moyes would accept?

I think the timing of Everton's late summer windfall in terms of the second massive £25M loan secured from Barclays was the main factor delaying these moves, and I also seriously doubt that David Moyes would spend £11¼M on a player he didn't really want.

Allan Hobbs
1   Posted 30/11/2007 at 14:07:46

Kenwright probably picks the team as well; after all, Moyes isn’t likely to care about things like making big decisions.

Piffle.
Allan Hobbs
2   Posted 30/11/2007 at 14:08:49

PS Whoever chose 1878 as the submission code, good work my friend, good work ;)
Shez Khan
3   Posted 30/11/2007 at 14:18:18

Sounds like ... BOLLOCKS!
Adam Jones
4   Posted 30/11/2007 at 15:41:07

I cant tell you my sources from within the club, thatwhile Yakubu was selected by Moyes, the funds to buy him , plus his wages have come from a wealthy benefactor.
This guy doesnt want to formally invest, but wanted to provide a record signing as a "gift" - there is no 3rd party ownership here, Everton do own the players contract and its all legally above board.
The rich evertonian has visited the training grounds in the summer and was known to staff at the club at the time - although this little detail hasn’t been broadcast.
Irrespective of the source of funds, its great for the club and the fans, so I dont personally think it matters, although I wouldnt know what would happen to the funds if he was sold at a profit .If I could afford to i would buy a player for the blues - wouldnt we all ?

No doubt all will become clear when we look at the company accounts for this year in the future, when this will have to be disclosed.

This could be the whisper these guys have heard from within the football grapevine.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
5   Posted 30/11/2007 at 16:05:53

I don’t believe that for a second, not a chance!

Yakubu was a David Moyes signing. David obviously recognized that he can score goals which is what we craved after Beattie’s departure.

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous, and don’t forget, Balague is one of these fellas who bows down to Marca, who are notorious for making up tripe.

Furthermore, why would a move for Nugent fall through? Surely if he was wanted he would be an Everton player?
Chris Masey
6   Posted 30/11/2007 at 16:35:49

I think its all press talk. Yakubu’s signing was questionable and not typical moyes because of his well-known lack of work-rate. However, I believe Moyes recognised his potential to score even more goals, and improve the player, by providing him with better fans, better players, better coaching, and generally better everything, enabling Yakubu to settle and become a goalscoring legend. I have to be honest, everytime he has the ball I am staggered by how strong he is. He looks off the pace, but then uses his strength to hold the ball up. Some of his link up play last saturday was superb, and this will only get better the more games he plays in our system. Anyhow, he’s a dead cert to start against Pompey, being an old club, and I wonder what price a Yakubu hatrick!
Steve James
7   Posted 30/11/2007 at 16:49:29

Moyes is an acquaintance of Balague’s actually and was on the Times podcast a while back so I think it’s quite likely to be true.
Chris Masey
8   Posted 30/11/2007 at 17:06:20

To answer my own thread. Odds on a Yakubu hatrick are 80-1, I’ve just 4 quid on it. Watch this space if it happens!
Jeremy Bowen
9   Posted 30/11/2007 at 17:32:54

Perhaps the Yakubu signing was merely to instill a good feeling, and appease the fans, over other more important, long term, club matters.

Dominic Fitzpatrick
10   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:06:03

Ridiculous!

Why on Earth would a club chairman, who has ploughed some of his own personal funds into the running of the club, decide to fork out 11.25 million (take a moment to think how much money this really is, no! this isn’t football manager, it is real life!) on signing a player to appease the fans?

Moyes bought him to do one thing, score goals, which he has been doing. Why does everything that goes on at Everton have to be part of a huge conspiracy theory?

Jeremy Bowen
11   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:20:56

I know that 11.25 million pound (yup, I can count that high, and can appreciate what the value of it is, thanks for the unnecessary finance lesson...) can be put into context, when compared to Darren Bent for 17 million, and also in comparison to the money spent or generated on/from a new stadium and the long term implications of such.

My maths is pretty good Dominic. Lets stick to real life, and not try to suggest that anyone who doesn?t reflect your own opinion, must be in a fantasy world. Really, it simply weakens your own point.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
12   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:00:03

I wasn’t intending to call your maths into question Jeremy, neither was I trying to force my opinion on others.

I was simply emphasising and attempting to highlight the amount of conspiracy surrounding the signing of a player, who has been bought to do a job and is doing what he has been bought for.

Why can’t people concentrate on this rather than suggesting a club who is in such a bad position financially can afford to throw over ten million on a player simply to appease the desires of the fanbase?

Is it so hard for people to believe that Moyes identified Yakubu as a player who can score goals and be turned into a good player for our team rather than saying ’oh he was only bought by Kenwright so he wouldn’t get flack off the fans.’

Its just my opinion, but to me that is such a poor and negative way of going about trying to explain why he was signed.