Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Midfielder in January?

It is obvious that we need to spend millions on a midfielder in January to replace/cover Osman. Now, from the list of the targets we have been rumoured to get, I was wondering what kind of midfielder we needed.

Would we need the pure creative midfielder type (Riquelme, Modric) who does have not much emphasis in defending back but has class creativity...

Or would we need a midfield dynamo player (Appiah, Fernandes), a much more all round player who can defend quite well and attack quite well too, but obviously not as creative as the creative midfielder.

I think the latter one, ideally buy Appiah or Fernandes, because we can dominate the midfield much more whilst having some creative element. Someone like Riquelme or Modric in the team would leave our midfield a bit open while defending, even though our attacking player will be improved.

Its a tough one!
Ben Jones, Anglesey, North Wales     Posted 30/11/2007 at 16:32:09

Comments

Michael Kenrick
FM Alert!!!
David Barks
1   Posted 30/11/2007 at 17:10:41

Riquelme has gone back to Argentina and Fernandes just went to Valencia, so get over them two. The fact is that we very well may get a midfielder in January, but chances are the player we get will be mostly unknown to us, kind of like Pienaar. Pienaar was not on anyone’s radar but we got him for the year and he has turned out to be fantastic. Just sit back and wait and see. But it is coming into December now, so I guess the rumours will start to pour in thick and fast.
Rob Wilkinson
2   Posted 30/11/2007 at 17:52:36

Wasn’t fernandes in trouble with valencia recently and bombed out? dont matter anyway he was a backstabber! or were his yes men to blame??? wat are the thoughts on kevin nolan? cheap version of gerrard?
Peter Pickles
3   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:07:17

No problem, here’s a cheque for erm... whatever you need, £90m should keep you going, take a few quid for yourself.

Gai Roberts
4   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:09:58

Nolan wouldnt get into the everton midfield at the moment so i wouldnt consider a bid for him! Leave fernandes to rot in the reserves at Valencia,he had the chance to become a legend at Goodison but turned his back on that! We need a midfieler who drives forward with creativity! I’m banking on an away win at pompey 2moro for the mighty blues!
Paul Rimmer
5   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:22:54

Appiah and Nolan as cover for cahill on my christmas list... and a centre half... please!!!!

coyb!!!!!!!!!

Alan Clarke
6   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:40:40

Noone has mentioned Ronaldinho yet. He’s always being linked with Chelsea so he must be available. I think he is ideal backup for Arteta. Does anyone know if he’s cup tied for the Uefa cup?
Gee Mann
7   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:42:51

How many players are we going to lose in January anyway? Pienaar, Yobo, Big Vic and Yakubu - missed anyone? We surely need some cover for the remaining squad members. Agree with no to Nolan tho ? that would be like signing that thug Barton who went to the barcodes.
Brian Hill
8   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:57:34

I may be a bit thick here, but why do we need to cover/replace Osman?
Richard Noble
9   Posted 30/11/2007 at 18:59:50

Moyes can always ask his mate Strachan if he’s got anymore casts off he doesn’t want!
Rish Sankey
10   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:23:51

lol @ Ronaldinho comment.

Kevin Nolan would actually make a decent squad player, look what he has achieved at Bolton as captain.

I doubt he would leave Bolton though.
Simon Smith
11   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:25:55

Nolan are you mad he?s shite, expect it will be a tall mid cuz thats what moyes wants, my wish is lucho gonzales a class player.
Simon Smith
12   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:36:23

What has Nolan achieved at bolton? fuck all, we want to go forward not backwards.
Jeff Leahey
13   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:29:25

I"d ask about Steve Sidwell"s availability .You never know the lad maybe getting pissed off in the reserves.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
14   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:36:34

I’d love to hear the whole Manuel Fernandes story as the ones I have listened to are contradicted.

I originally disliked him for what he did, but then I heard the move to Valencia was forced on him, his owners gave him no choice due to Valencia allowing them to keep half of his registration.

And of course there is the rumour that he just walked out on Everton and opted to sign for Valencia leaving us high and dry.

If it was the former then I would be interested in taking him back, I think he is definitely what we need, and so does Moyes.

If its the latter however, I don’t think I’d want him back for showing such a bad attitude, neither would Moyes or Kenwright for that matter.

But certainly, a player in his mould is what we badly crave.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
15   Posted 30/11/2007 at 19:44:36

Dominic, I think there?s more to the story that Benfica, seeing that they could get £10m cash for their sake in Fernandes versus the £6m from Everton because Valencia and the Spanish FA were OK about the third-party ownership thing, pretty much ordered him to get on a plane to Spain.

I?ve no doubt that the player would take the warmer climes of the Iberian Peninsula over a wet winter on Merseyside but I think it?s premature of some fans to brand him a "shithouse" without knowing the full story.

Kieran Fitzgerald
16   Posted 30/11/2007 at 20:12:53

I think Jeff Leahey could be on to something mentioning Sidwell. With a new manager at Chelsea there could be alot of movement in and out over the next couple of transfer windows. Whether or not Chelsea are prepared to do loan deals and things on the cheap I don?t know.
Chris Wilson
17   Posted 30/11/2007 at 20:10:13

Hey long time reader-first time writer...on here anyway. Re: Fernandes, I think his owner/agent said this club is paying our fee so get over there. I’d give him a second chance if that’s the case. Remember, we had a chance earlier in the summer to get him, but we dragged our feet.

Moyes has said that he wants a physical midfield presence - someone with height and athleticism. Appiah would be great, but is he cup tied in Europe? He seems to want a left winger too. I’d like to see him bring in a central defender on loan for the duration of Yobo’s abscence.
Nick Entwistle
18   Posted 01/12/2007 at 09:17:36

Yeah I love football manager too...
Jonathon Gillen
19   Posted 01/12/2007 at 11:11:20

Completey agree with Brian. Why on earth would you want to replace Leon Osman, ever since he has been utilised in the centre of midfield we have had six wins and a draw with Osman contributing thoroughly in each game. Personally, I think Osman is enjoying his best run of form since the 2004/05 season.

Also there is virually no chance of capturing Luka Modric now that he is being touted by the ’big four’. As regards to Sidwell, would he warranta place in the starting team or langusih on the bench/ Let’s not forget we have Gravesen as cover for midfield as well as Anderson de Silva when he returns at Christmas
Lee Armer
20   Posted 01/12/2007 at 12:01:13

Gonzales is the one, break the bank for him I say, pure class, got everything you need in a midfielder. After Moyes bid £11million in the summer he must be looking at it again. If not him id be thinking maybe Alonso from Liverpool, the more quality we get in the middle will help and although he's a red shite his passing ability is second to none..... and we love our phsyco pat
Sean Allinson
21   Posted 01/12/2007 at 12:51:51

Interesting shout re Alonso. When he and Arteta played against us for Real Sociadad in pre season at Goodison a couple of years ago, they passed us to death. They really were exceptional together and we couldn’t get near the ball for the first 15 minutes by which time they were 2 up.

Of course it’s a non-starter though.
Mark Hill
22   Posted 01/12/2007 at 14:37:28

We don’t need to replace Ossie at all. He is a good footballer and we are seeing some great stuff from him recently. I for one rate him. So he is small and lightweight, doesn’t matter a jot! A couple of players in to refresh the squad, in light of the African Nations Cup wouldn’t go amiss though. As for who though I have no idea, I will stick to FM and let DM decide. He’s doing a great job at that at the moment!!!!
Alex Taylor
23   Posted 01/12/2007 at 17:09:10

Why cover/replace Osman? He?s having a good season! Sick of people bashing the lad.
Rob Jones
24   Posted 01/12/2007 at 19:11:56

Although I would love to see Xabi come to Goodison I seriously doubt that we would have any chance of signing him until Rafas sacked and Tom Hiccup and Gillette bring in a big spender eg mourinho who would probably bring in a big money deal to take Alonsos place, while we?re talking big how about Xavi or Marquez from Barca why not go for them they don?t play regularly for Barca.