Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Black armbands?

I noticed we were wearing black arm bands versus Pompey. Anyone know who has passed away??
Paul Kellett, Parbold     Posted 01/12/2007 at 23:58:27

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Before the kick-off, they had a minute's spontaneous applause for Graham Paton (sp?), who died 10 days ago. He was a Portsmouth bloke, apparently, so I"m guessing our players wore the black armbands as a sign of respect.
Dan Wragg
1   Posted 02/12/2007 at 00:40:52

After looking through the gallery, it seems that the Pompey players weren?t wearing a black armband.

Could it be after Dave Hickson?s heart attack?

Thomas Corker
2   Posted 02/12/2007 at 00:50:46

Have to admit when I saw the armbands I got a bit worried about Dave Hickson but thankfully he seems to be recovering. Didn’t notice anything on the OS about it, but I only glanced over it quickly this afternoon.
Peter Holly
3   Posted 02/12/2007 at 01:02:09

Black armbands were for Graham Paddon who was an assistant manager at Portsmouth used to work with Alan Ball on the South Coast. Only 57 when he passed on.
Steve McClaren
4   Posted 02/12/2007 at 02:56:45

The black armbands were for England :)
Steven May
5   Posted 02/12/2007 at 12:11:21

It seems that it was the Graham Paddon who played for West Ham. I remember watching him playing for Norwich against Swindon Town (my local team at the time).

He must have been in his late teens then but he was Norwich’s best player at the time.

Only 57 when he died.

Peter Pickles
6   Posted 02/12/2007 at 12:30:50

Evel Knievel was a reknowned Pompey fan, he would often entertain fans at half time at Fratton Park with his wheelies in the centre circle..