Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Lescott

For me tonight confirmed that Joleon Lescott should now (if not very soon) be captain of Everton. In the final ten minutes when we were pushing for the win he was the driving force behind it. Fair play I think Neville played quite well but Lescott was immense yet again and I think receiving the captain's armband would only push him to the next level.
Paul Murphy, Kirkdale, Liverpool     Posted 06/12/2007 at 00:33:40

Comments

Peter Pridgeon
1   Posted 06/12/2007 at 01:17:56

On that performance I would agree Paul. He was a real driving force, not only in the back line but in the middle and forward as well.
I thought Carsley had a good game along with Cahill. Arteta kept overcomplicating his game. There are a number of natural leaders now on the field, Nevile Lesscott, Yobo and Baines also looks like he would not shirk the resposibility, despite an average display tonight this does bode well for the future.
Neil Pearse
2   Posted 06/12/2007 at 08:17:38

Still love to see Cahill as captain. He is the heartbeat of the team.
Stephen Davies
3   Posted 06/12/2007 at 09:28:18

Yeah Cahill or Lescott would be great. I think next season Neville will find himself in a similar role as Weir was, the club captain not playing that often. Isn’t Yobo vice-captain though?
Allan Hobbs
4   Posted 06/12/2007 at 10:08:15

Lescott is a good defender and he can score from set pieces; he reminds me of John Terry in alot of ways. One thing though; his distribution is rubbish, I think DM highlighted this at the start of the season and he’s still not got it right. His balls out of defence are aimless. Minor criticism I spose but it does need some work.

I really enjoyed last nights game though, I thought they all played well, though Arteta wasn’t up to his usual high standard and McFadden was pretty ordinary. AJ looks to be slowly getting fitter which is good. Nice to see some squad rotation as well - bodes well for the rest of the season.
Ian McDowell
5   Posted 06/12/2007 at 10:25:45

Yeah it would have to be Cahill for me too, the energy and commitment he shows is amazing.
Allan Hobbs
6   Posted 06/12/2007 at 10:49:22

Your captain doesnt neccesarily have to be the best player, or the player who shows the most commitment - you go for the natural leader, the one who gives the most encouragement and has more experience is usually the best captain to have. Neville should be captain in my opinion; he has more experience than anyone else and has natural leadership ability on & off the park.
Tom Rowe
7   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:03:48

Your captain should be the inspiration, like Big Dunc was. Cahill for captain, hes got the passion and the drive and he never gives in, unlike neville who is a gormless manure reject. No offense phile but you are the ugliest player in the premiership (since scott gemmil). Jagielka was poor, you can’t play a centre back who can’t head the ball or tackle.
Allan Hobbs
8   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:31:31

Of course, basing an opinion around someones looks is always the most sensible route to take.
Tom Rowe
9   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:38:04

ooOOOOoo Handbags. I was merely pointing out that he is not inspirational. The latter part of the comment was a joke... If you want a captain with a poor touch, and has to think for 30 seconds before making a pass and in the mean time getting tackled then Nevilles your man.
Allan Hobbs
10   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:03:56

Since being switched to full-back, Nevilles has been superb though Tom; he was great against Sunderland and played really well last night too. I think his influence goes unnoticed by alot of people; without him we’d be alot worse off than we are. The guys a model pro and someone other players look up to - I’d put money on the rest of the squad choosing him as captain if it was their choice alone.
Tom Rowe
11   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:09:10

I agree he has been better, and has been better going forward but I dont think he was all that good last night. There were countless times you saw Jags and carsley at right back because he coudnt keep up or lost possession too easilly. Isn’t Jagielka meant to be a right back? what do you make of him so far? he seems to have a 50p head.. and cant put in a decent cross, but didnt he take all of the free kicks for Sheffield utd?
Dan Mckie
12   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:28:33

Think he did take a lot of Sheff Utds free kicks Tom, probably 1 of the reasons they went down, sayin that tho, I probably wouldnt mind him takin a few off Arteta at the moment cos his corners and free kicks have been poor for a few weeks now!
Neil McKinney
13   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:47:37

I think there a two types of captain. One is inspirational and leads by example, the other a leader and a talker, someone who will gee up the other players and give them a rollocking when needed.

The captain doesn’t have to be inspirational. The captain doesn’t have to be a talker, but if he isn’t one, then he must at least lead by example. To be both would be ideal but one or the other is sufficient.

Jags does need to work on his defensive heading. There were a number of occasions last night when he didn’t get sufficient distance on his clearances. Otherwise, I thought he did ok.

Lescott was outstanding! He took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last 10-15 mins and was a little unlucky not to score the winning goal. No idea what you’re talking about re his distribution. He’s no Ronaldhino, but for a centre half he does well enough.

I thought Cahill looked out of sorts last night (don’t let the goal confuse you) and Arteta huffed and puffed a bit in patches. I agree that McFadden looked ordinary, but his reaction at being subbed at least showed that he gives a shit.

Can’t wait for the draw!

COYB!!
Allan Hobbs
14   Posted 06/12/2007 at 13:20:18

Tom - Jags played centre half with Lescott, Neville was playing pretty much as a wingback at times, much like his brother did for Utd when him & Beckham played on the right together - thats kind of the same role Phil plays with Arteta; or at least thats the theory, hence why you saw Neville out of position at times. Jags is supposed to filter across the back-line with Lescott and Baines, and vice versa when Baines goes forward. It doesnt always work, and you do get caught out sometimes but as a system I like it personally.

We’re showing so much more versatility nowadays; we have various different formations that the players are getting used to, and DM is able to employ those formations now that we have a (pretty much) fully fit squad.

Jags just needs a few games under his belt to get his confidence up & I reckon he’ll be a valuable squad member. He may not be the best at anything, but he can play so many different roles that he justifies his inclusion by being so versatile.
Declan Brown
15   Posted 06/12/2007 at 21:13:49

Lescott is pure class.

He reminds me of Kevin Ratcliffe, always cool as a cucumber but an absolute rock in defence. And he scores more goals than Ratcliffe.

By the way i’m not dissing Ratcliffe, he’s a Everton legend in my eyes, but it shows just how far Lescott has come and can still go further to be one of the very best.
Andy Callan
16   Posted 07/12/2007 at 12:26:15

Lescott reminds me of Mountfield. However he won;t be at Goodison for too much longer I think. Due mainly to the fact that we are a selling club.

Same goes for Skippy; if he keeps scoring he will end up elsewhere too.

The problem these days is that when we uncover a good player a richer club will come along and bid £15m-£20m for him. As we are ALWAYS skint we couldn?t refuse.

Oh and I think that Carsley should be rewarded with the Captain?s armband; at least it would be something that Everton gave him back.