Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

A touch above

Mikky the Tit was so better than any one on that field tonight, pure class. He reminds me of Alex Young, The Tit is the best pure footballer since Alex Young.
Mike Dolan, New York, USA     Posted 06/12/2007 at 01:43:03

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Mikky the Tit? Tsk, tsk... That hardly seems an appropriate term of endearment for our best player. He is good... and that free-kick was nice... but that penalty?!? Oh my!
Dick Fearon
1   Posted 06/12/2007 at 05:53:54

Hey Mike, to which Mickey do you refer, the marvellous home game Mickey or the not so marvellous away game Mickey?
Peter Pridgeon
2   Posted 06/12/2007 at 06:54:39

I thought Arteta overcomplicated his game against Zenit and cosequently had a lot less influenece on the game. Cahil on the other hand played a very simple and very effective game.
I used to think Cahil was a scorer of vital and unexpected goals but had little else to his game until this season. Cahil is the heart and lungs of the team. He has really developed as a player since his arrival at Goodison incidently so has the team.
Nick Xenos
3   Posted 06/12/2007 at 07:50:07

I agree with Peter. It seems as though Arteta is trying too hard to impress Aragones and his game is suffering because of it. He should just get back to basics because in my opinion, his current form is nowhere near good enough to get him into the Spanish team.
Mark Stamper
4   Posted 06/12/2007 at 08:42:57

Anybody else notice that AJ never keeps the ball, over complicates it and then ends up flat on his back. he cannot hold the ball up. I think we should sell him and buy somebody else.
James Elworthy
5   Posted 06/12/2007 at 08:40:55

I think that Arteta is a fantastic player but the number of corners that do not clear the first man or free kicks that hit the wall have had a number of people around me shout for others to take them.
The last minute winner against Bolton and the goal that beat Luton were from corners from Gravesen that managed to get over the first man.
As good as Arteta is he needs to
a) Put in good performances away from home
b) Put in good performances against the big 4
c) Improve his corners and free kicks especialy free kicks from wide positions, the actual percentage that are poor is quite high.
I went to a sportsman evening once and Brian Labone brought with him Alex Youngs contract which was £50 a week and for home games a further £1 for every 1000 people above 50,000 we got, so he got for example £56 when we got a 56,000 crowd. Brian said they always said Alex Young never played well away and this was proof with typical Labby tongue in cheek.
James Elworthy
6   Posted 06/12/2007 at 08:47:04

Just one further comment Joleon Lescott was head and shoulders above anything on the pitch last night it was a colossus of a performance.
I also agree about AJ’s first touch he couldnt trap a bag of spuds.
Dave Lynch
7   Posted 06/12/2007 at 09:28:45

The sooner Mcuseless leaves the better.
God this man frustrates me !
Does not know when to release the ball, awfull finishing in and around the box, cannot pick a pass to save his life and runs down blind alleys.
Convinced if we had started with the Yak or JV we would have been comfortable by half time.
Simon Williams
8   Posted 06/12/2007 at 10:31:56

I have to agree about McFadden, he was completely out of sync with the rest of the team last night - every promising move that seemed to build momentum was thwarted by either his lack of pace, a bad passing decision or a ludicrous attempt to ?trick? his way past a man. He just wasn?t on the same wavelength.

I actually think we really missed both Ossie and the Yak last night - what they bring to the team might not be that easy to spot versus AJ?s obvious sweat for the cause- but for me the ?joined-up-ness? (sorry, couldn?t think of a better phrase) those two being to our play was very conspicuous by its absence.

Pienaar was awesome though I thought, as was the peerless Lescott.
Dave Edge
9   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:22:51

Must be about the 10th time this season a commentator has referred to Lee Carsley as the "unsung" hero of the team. Is he well and truly "sung" now?
Neil Musson
10   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:22:53

Arteta is a much over-rated player to my mind.It has become fashionable to rave about him due to lack of real stars in our team.His performances away from home are certainly decidedly average and although he shows magic touches from time to time at Goodison there is much dross as well.
To me this season’s stars are Cahill and Carsley with Victor the bright young thing.On last night’s performance both AJ (so limited) and Faddy are dispensible.
Arthur jones
11   Posted 06/12/2007 at 11:26:20

I wonder why ossie never played ? He seems to have struck up a great partnership with TC , Mikel , and Peanut , possibly missed last night
Paul Coleman
12   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:13:05

Yeah I know Dave its annoying. Lee Carsley just does his job quietly, the unsung hero of this Everton team. I still think Lee is class though! Just fead up of these repeated soundbites. Commentators never having anything original to say these days.
Allan Hobbs
13   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:12:49

Rather than looking at why certain players didn’t play, or how we could’ve been better, is it not better to look at the game and say how well we did with a bit of squad rotation? I was more than happy with the team put out, the performance against a very good Zenit side who kept the ball well (ala Russia v Engerlund) aqnd made it hard for us to break them down? In Arshavin they have one the up & coming stars of European football and they always looked a threat on the break. We played with alot more maturity than seen in previous European games and both the players and David Moyes should be congratualted on a job well done.

We’ve won all 3 games, and won the group with a game to spare and +5 goal difference. Whats not to be happy about?!
Adam Gilfillan
14   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:29:54

(Allan Hobbs) - nail on the head mate. COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan Mckie
15   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:38:18

I think Arteta looked better when he moved into the centre of midfield, I know everyone says he gets more space and can influence the game more out wide but im not sure thats the case because teams just stick 2 men on him from the off! Thats no excuse for his free kicks and corners being pants lately tho!

P.s Id never see him dropped, hes still our best player!
Colin Jones
16   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:43:11

I don’t think Lescott was great last night, on two occasions he got us into trouble once they were down to ten men. Jagielka was much more assured.
Allan Hobbs
17   Posted 06/12/2007 at 12:50:46

Jags did look alot fitter and more assured; handy to him as cover for Yobo in January. Hopefully him & Lescott will do well together in the new year. Squad-wise we’re in the best shape we’ve been in for many years, this is certainly our best squd since the Premiership started by a country mile.
James Elworthy
18   Posted 06/12/2007 at 13:18:35

I thought Jagielka got better as the game went on. Baines was sometimes caught upfield too much. On one occasion Arteta had to run back 60 yards to cover for him.
Carsley again was magnificent in his role and seems to get better with age, maybe this is a position you mature into over the seasons, there are not many young players about who are good at that role.
Lescott was superb, as was Howard who played with a stomach bug.
Ste Lewis
19   Posted 06/12/2007 at 17:45:59

Arteta brings a quality to our side that no other player does and to say his current form is nowhere near good enough for the Spanish team is just wrong. He still needs to improve on certain things I agree but I also think we havent seen the best of him yet. Thought Lescott was magnificent last night, he made that goal too, doing extremely well to win the corner before forcing the save which set up Tiny. Frustrating at times last night but great result in the end!