Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Midfield Reinforcements

i know that there isn't a blue around who doesn't think we need to strengthen midfield. But I when thinking of a possible eleven for the Dutch game it dawned on me just how short we are not just in depth of quality but simple numbers. With Gravesen clearly not up to 90 minutes and Pienaar away in January, we really could be doing with 3 signings in the winter. Particularly as it is evident that Jags or Neville in midfield is a disaster. I know I'm stating the obvious but if Carsley or Cahill pick up an injury we are in serious trouble!
Paul Lenehan, Armagh, Ireland     Posted 07/12/2007 at 11:43:18

Comments

Peter Laing
1   Posted 07/12/2007 at 13:47:09

Maybe David Moyes can ask our new white knight Robert Earl to stump up some more cash to raise the necessary funds for that must have all action Midfield playmaker that we desperately need. It would appear that Earl is acting as the security for increased borrowing as in the situation with Yakubu, our debt is undoubtedly increasing but fortune as they say favours the brave.
rob burke
2   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:06:55

bit of a random question, but i heard theres a new song out for steven pienaar ?.
It was sung on wednesday anyone know how it goes ?
thanks
John Lloyd
3   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:07:28

Any realistic suggestions out there for a couple of midfielders lads???

I am struggling to think of 3 quality midfielders who we could realisticly get or afford, apart from names that have popped up before like Appiah, Vogel etc etc.
Wouldn’t mind a swap deal involving J Mcfadden for Scott Brown at Celtic, he looks a quality, energetic player.
Malcolm Senter
4   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:10:17

You are ’stating the bleeding obvious’,if you don’t mind me saying so,Paul. Moyes has already addressed this issue by saying that he will be seeking to get in a couple of midfielders on loan -probably from Europe.Just have patience -even Tony Marsh seems to accept that the man knows what he’s doing!
John Lloyd
5   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:18:13

Also what about that Arshavin from Zenit? There surely can be no doubting his ability, he looks top drawer. Should make an offer before someone else does!!
Nick Coyne
6   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:22:28

I appreciate it is an aside from the topic in hand, but having travelled to Nuremberg a couple of weeks back I believe the song you are talking about Rob goes as follows:

(to the tune of The Music Man)

I am the music man,
I come from down your way,
and I can play,
what can you pl-a-y?
I play the Pienaar.

Pie-a-pie-a-pie-naar,
Pienaa-ar,
Pienaa-ar,

Pie-a-pie-a-pie-naar....

You get the hint.

In terms of midfielders, a lot of talk is growing regarding Dan Gosling from Plymouth. He’s highly thought of it seems and is still under 20. In terms of other lads, I would love Appiah (can’t see it happening until the summer though, if anything happens at all that is) and Matty Taylor looks like he’s pushing for a move (I’m sure he’s a Tottenham fan though, and I imagine if the opportunity for him to stay south, with say Fulham, arose I think he’d take it - plus whilst versatile, I’m not sure if he’s actually that good).

Riquelme anyone?!
Paul Lenehan
7   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:28:53

Malcolm, I have already said that I was stating the obvious. What I was hoping to do was have a discussion as to who we could sign and what sort of deals these would be. I am hurt that you compare me to Tony Marsh!! I am a Moyes supporter and don?t see any criticism of Moyes in my post. Arshavin looks like a proper player I wonder how much he would cost?
Nick Coyne
8   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:49:00

Arshavin did look handy, but firstly I think with the money involved in the Russian game now coupled with the fact he is an important part of the national team, you’d be looking in the region of £8-10m.

Secondly, I’m not too sure if he would be suited to the Premiership. He’s only small and doesn’t look like the kind of lad who would be willing to put the boot in to win the ball back.
JL Slap
9   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:48:29

I know it is very unlikely & there is people on here that say it is a pipe dream & I dont claim to have any insider knowledge, just purely from a fans point of view wouldnt getting Riquelme on loan till season end be superb, I genuinly think he?s an unbelievable player!!!

I wouldnt even bid for Taylor, I personally dont rate him. Hes very similar but not as good a player as Baines. If he?s not good enough for pompey then surely he?s not good enough for us. I hope we?ve moved on from getting cast offs, we only want quality.

Is that De Rossi from Roma still out in th cold, cos he is brilliant but he may be too expensive for us.
Dave Trudgeon
10   Posted 07/12/2007 at 14:50:42

There's talk of £10M+ for Arshavin ? and the Toon's silly wages will probably be the big factor stopping him coming here...
David Barks
11   Posted 07/12/2007 at 17:01:06

Well Moyes just said he will be signing one player in January but of course wouldn’t say what position he’s looking at. But it can be reasonably assumed due to his past comments that it will be a central midfielder. Put that together with his comments about expanding the scouting network to look at more overseas players and you get the idea that we are looking at a player from the continent. I hope this is the case and I hope that he looks at some of the Italian or Spanish playmakers. But a player like Appiah who has been mentioned before would also be a very good option. Or we could get that winger that we need, maybe someone like Maxi Rodriguez from Atletico Madrid? I know this is a big name but isn’t that what we’re aiming for now. If we will spend the money, which it appears over the past couple of seasons we will, why not go after a player of his skill. He could play the right side of midfield with Pienaar on the left, Arteta in the middle with Cahill up front and Carsley holding. Arteta links up greatly with Pienaar but currently they occupy the opposite wings, so their link up is limited. Move him inside with two quality wingers and we would see some amazing stuff, not to mention how much Cahill would strive on balls being delivered from Maxi. Carsley is doing just fine in the middle for the rest of the season, so lets look at getting the likes of Appiah during the summer as a replacement for Carsley. That’s my FM for today.
El-Ray Jackson
12   Posted 07/12/2007 at 18:13:25

Sell McFadden, he would easily get us 5mil in this day and age, come January and we will still be left with AJ ,vaughan and Cahill, who can also play in strike.But if Moyes decides to play 4 5 1 then we really don?t need that much strikers.Top the McFadden money with a couple of mil and and get Arshavin, hes quality. I can see him really improving at Everton, just the way Pienaar has. He is also versatile, he can play in midfield , on the wing and in strike aswll, sounds like a Moyes type of player. Stephen Appiah would also be a good along with Vogul who is very experienced.
Gavin Ramejkis
13   Posted 07/12/2007 at 18:23:02

Central midfield is about the only role we haven’t filled over the last few years and I worry about how Carsley’s departure at some not too distant point will affect the midfield. I rate Appiah and equally think Arshavn would be more than capable of doing a great job for us as would many more plying their trade outside the EPL most of which are also far better than the majority of the EPL by the way too such as Schweinsteiger or Bernd Schneider. I also think everyone is wise to the money that Sky has brought this legue so don’t be shocked to see any price from £6m to £12m for a decent player, it seems to be the going rate.
el-ray jackson
14   Posted 07/12/2007 at 20:54:39

Moyes says that he is looking for "the one" He said he wont reveal the position of "the one" but clearly he knows that it is the midfield that needs to be addressed.So he is after one player, does that mean hes going to spend big on that one player? The Fernandes money maybe? If i was Moyes i would put in another bid for Lucho Gonzales.Another option is that, he could move arteta into the middle and look for a good quality winger. How about Nelson from Benfica.I’ve only seen him play at right back for Benfica but he could play on the wing, he is young, excellent at going forward, hes got silky skills, pace to burn and he is bit of an unknown quantity so it could be possible that he wont cost too much. What do you think?
Dave Tootill
15   Posted 07/12/2007 at 22:28:03

My tuppence worth. Arteta has excelled over 2 years, so he gets marked out of the game, needs support. Everyone including Russians watch the videos. I’d certainly go for Riquelme. He was also annihalted by Brazil in the final, but he seems to be available. Gravesen, yes, how many minutes has he been played? Is he being saved for Oldham? Is he paid by the minute?
David Barks
16   Posted 08/12/2007 at 04:38:34

Riquelme has already went back to Boca Juniors for the rest of the year, so he’s not an option.
Mick Mac
17   Posted 07/12/2007 at 18:09:46

Looks like Moyes is ready to find a central midfielder and maybe a left sided player which will be the final peices of the jigsaw. Who do you think they ir he is going to be?
El-ray Jackson
18   Posted 08/12/2007 at 13:12:38

We desperately need midfield reinforcements, everybody knows this, even Moyes and I believe that Moyes will definitely address this situation in January. Question is who should he buy? He could go for a quality midfielder. The other option would be to move Arteta into the middle and search for a winger. I would prefer that Moyes cashes in on McFadden in January. If shit like Chopra and Nugent can go for for 6 mil, then McFadden can definitely go for 5 mil. Even after selling McFadden we will still be left with 3 strikers in January, Cahill can play as a striker. and if Moyes decides to play 4-5-1 then this certainly wont be a problem. When it comes down to midfielders i hope Moyes signs Arshavin. How much is he going to cost? around 7 mil I would have thought. Moyes should put the McFadden money towards purchasing Arshavin and i think that would be a good deal. Arshavin is an upcoming talent. He plays very good in an average Zenith side. If he came to Everton, he would certainly improve, as he would be surrounded by better players. Just the way Arteta and Pienaar have improved. He is a bit small, so to just sign Arshavin wont be enough he will have to sign someone with a bit more pace, power and dominance, someone in the mold of Appiah. And if he could get Vogul on a free, that wouldn't be too bad either, maybe he could take over the Carsley role, for a short while anyway.
Kieran Kinsella
19   Posted 08/12/2007 at 18:25:42

Moyes recently said he wanted to add height to our midfield and after wtahcing Celtic the other night I think that Jarosik may be the man for the job. He could replace the ageing Carsely long term and aside from tackling can play some neat balls. He may be hard to lure away from Celtic unless say for exmaple we had a surplus Scottish enigma of a striker to offer as bait....