Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Celebration

Can anyone shed any light on the yaks celebration? Anelka does pretty much the same thing and to be honest its annoying but I am curious as too what its all about! cheers in advance!
Abbie Sanger, Portsmouth     Posted 09/12/2007 at 22:08:49

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Super Eagles?
Charlie Percival
1   Posted 09/12/2007 at 22:32:47

Cheer up, its a celebration. He can do what he wants as long as he keeps having a reason to celbrate! What's the world coming to when we can now score goals but ?diss? our plyers for being happy and scoring. Yak always points top someone in the crowd when he scores, hes having a buzz and saying ?thats for you?!
Mark Pendleton
2   Posted 09/12/2007 at 22:46:49

I have to admit i thought AJ was recreating an "A" with his hands the other week after he scored, but having seen a couple of others do exactly the same thing whose names, er, don’t begin with A i’d love to know what that’s about.

Have to be honest though, i’m in the "i don’t give a stuff as long as they keep doing the business" corner!

COYB!
Steve Pendleton
3   Posted 09/12/2007 at 22:47:54

That goes for Tim Cahill as well. What’s the problem he’s got with the flag? (I hope everyone detects this sarcasm)

Lighten up Abbie and enjoy the celebrations, even if you don’t have a clue what it stands for. He can hump the ground for all I care as long as he’s scoring goals.
Mark Pendleton
4   Posted 09/12/2007 at 22:53:15

Am also not related to Steve as far as i’m aware!
Stuart Mitchell
5   Posted 09/12/2007 at 23:26:57

I think the Yak nicks peoples celebrations, he did the Tim Cahill punching-the-flag thing when he scored for Boro against us.

So now nicking Anelka?s, have to see who is next!!
Brendan McLaughlin
6   Posted 09/12/2007 at 23:24:48

Michael
Anelka is French so why would he do a Nigerian goal celebration. Actually the celebration is a tribute to the fans and is inspired by that Boyzone song about being inspired. You know the one "You raise me up to more than I can be" Oh & before anyone starts there is a heavy reference to angels in the song - hence the celebration.
Haven’t a clue about AJ’s & others A symbol.
Steve Pendleton
7   Posted 10/12/2007 at 00:23:58

I know this isn’t a website to find out your family tree members but I’ve also noticed we’ve got the same surname as well Mark. I live in Perth, Western Australia and there are only 10 Pendleton’s over here.

Do you know a Kieth and Margaret Pendleton over there?
Ean Palese
8   Posted 10/12/2007 at 01:55:29

Anelka actually makes a ?butterfly? sign - which he claims he does for his friends in france. He likes to keep his private life secret as it is also not popularly known that he has an alias of Abdul-Salam Bilal since he converted to Islam.
Yak does his goal celebration, of course in support of the Super Eagles as noted by Michael Kenrick
Nick Veitch
9   Posted 10/12/2007 at 03:04:07

Following on from Stuart, I think the Yak makes fun of others celebrations. Let’s just hope he doesn’t start trying to imitate Nani’s post goal celebrations (the somersault with backflip). Someone have a word in his ear will ya?
Matt Traynor
10   Posted 10/12/2007 at 03:59:08

Re Tim and the flag, we asked him that question when he was here in Singapore. I originally thought he imagined it was Steve Bennet’s head (over his sending off after scoring away at Man City and pulling his shirt over his head).

It’s not though. Apparently one of his mentors when he was growing up told him to develop a celebration, and it’s to do with one of his heroes (can’t remember the name) who was a boxer.

Next time he passes through Singapore and meets the fans, I’ll get a flag set up so he can use that as his entrance routine!

After his show with us in June, he’s almost singlehandedly the reason we now have a lot more girls supporting the Blues!
Nick Veitch
11   Posted 10/12/2007 at 04:16:00

I saw an interview with Tim Cahill in Australia here where he said he’d copied it off lesser known Australian footballer (and good friend of Tim’s) Archie Thompson, who plays in the Australian league.
Nick Xenos
12   Posted 10/12/2007 at 05:53:55

Archie involves the corner flag in his goal celebrations but it ain’t exactly boxing. It’s more like a flying kung-fu kick and then an Al Capone/shooting a gun in the air impersonation. I quite like it actually but at the end of the day...who gives a toss. Hopefully by the end of the season, the Yak would of impersonated all the strikers in the EPL.
Nick Xenos
13   Posted 10/12/2007 at 06:01:27

...oops, apart ofcoarse from Nani, Martins and Crouch’s robot stickman dance.
Dan Moore
14   Posted 10/12/2007 at 07:13:13

I can imagine the Yak doing red shite crouch’s robot dance would be bloody hilarious!
Stephen Davies
15   Posted 10/12/2007 at 09:53:57

Pienaar joined in aswell on Saturday...
Mike Clo
16   Posted 10/12/2007 at 09:53:59

I think Anelka’s celebration is a nod to his faith.

Therefore, when he does the bird sign, he is offering his goal to Allah.
Mike Homfray
17   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:30:23

OK - well, Yakubu is also a Muslim, so that’s logical!
Jalil Noor
18   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:11:07

RE Mike
not trying to be offensive but this is the first time I’ve heard that In Islam, the sign of a bird flying up towards the heavens is a prayer offering to God. when we offer a prayer to God, we either put our open palms side by side or apart but never criss cross as done by Yak or Anelka. and I would know cause im a moslem unless i miss something during religious school all those years ago :)

Chris Cook
19   Posted 10/12/2007 at 18:29:58

is it not this here? ^^

Mike Clo
20   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:46:21

Hi Jalil,

No offense taken at all :-) Like I said, I think it is a nod to his faith, but not necessarily something universally performed by Muslims.

Sorry if I didnt explain that clearly. I think it is a personal commitment to Allah and not something that everone does. See Quran quote below:

[16:79] Do they not see the birds committed to fly in the atmosphere of the sky? None holds them up in the air except GOD. This should be (sufficient) proof for people who believe.

To be honest though, I’m not 100% sure. I work down in a school with a large majority of footy mad muslim boys who let me in on all their info ;-)