Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Well done everybody

Congratulations to David Moyes and the boys on the recent upturn in performances and results. Its interesting to note isn't it that this upturn has coincided with the team selection and tactics following what many amateur managers in the stands have been suggesting/crying out for.

Namely et al Neville at right back, Osman more central and the first choice of particularly the defenders is to try and find a teammate with a pass on the floor. All round confidence and enjoyment of the game is visibly improved as a result. Recent tactical moves have too been splendidly effective in particular Carsley picking up the dropping off Kenwyn Jones worked like a dream.

With this in mind we should perhaps remember that football is not rocket science and a manager can be as much a hinderence as a help. Moyes is an intelligent man evidenced by his ability to learn and improve and his superb handling of the media (contrasting starkly with our fat friend).

However he is clearly no genius either the lady sat next to me occasionally at the game would have us currently in the top four based on recent evidence.
Andrew Bulmer, Liverpool     Posted 10/12/2007 at 11:30:15

Comments

Brian Richardson
1   Posted 10/12/2007 at 12:27:15

What a bizarre post. It seems to be a veiled dig at Moyes, who is now making the decisions we the fans have been telling him to make for years.

I’d argue that Moyes is one of the most astute managers in the Premiership and does not need the man in row F to tell him how to do his job.

Performances have improved because we now have all of our players back, good players are coming into form and confidence is growing. Phil Neville played in midfield when we had precious few other options.

I have to say, I’m now confident we will win games by more than a single goal for the first time in about 15 years!
Chris Masey
2   Posted 10/12/2007 at 12:33:22

Management is easy Andrew, you ought to try it, in fact its so easy, thats why managers tend to remain around for a lot longer these days. Most teams don’t change their managers anymore, because tactics and decisions are so obvious any old fan could do a good job.
Jonny Brown
3   Posted 10/12/2007 at 12:37:10

He could only play the players he had available. When Cahill came back we played 4-5-1 and it works. The very same 4-5-1 that the fat bird sat next to you decried for being too negative. Need to play 4-4-2 if we’re gonna see good football she shouted. You probably echoed her sentiments. Seriously mate get a grip...cos you just chatted a lot of bollocks
Andrew Bulmer
4   Posted 10/12/2007 at 13:01:25

Wow ! Brian we agree don’t we..
"Moyes, who is now making the decisions we the fans have been telling him to make for years" I concur and thought I’d written that David Moyes is very good at his job

Chris and Jonny I apologise I think you’ve missed my point.
Simply put I’m not sure football managers and the football world is all its cracked up to be. or indeed a very bright one. Thats not to mention football websites !
Chris Perry
5   Posted 10/12/2007 at 13:19:41

I have been a huge critic of Moyes and his tactics, but now, dare I say it, I feel he has turned the corner and would get ny vote every time, also Blue Bill, I think he jas shown great commitment to the club and Moyes, not many managers are at a club for 5.5 yrs! I am slightly concerned that a number of supporters are having ago at Bill because he wants us to move to a new state of the art stadium! I suppose all the upset fans also got upset at the invention of electricity, video recorders, dvd, etc infact anything to improve lifestyles or business, may be they should slope off to their mud huts or caves and light the fire and do some drawings on the walls by candle light, you are simply in another era.

With regard to Team affairs i am hoping we can become a bit more consitent and have a bit more flair on occasions, but I guess that will come with time. As for Jan ins / outs I am personally hoping for something like

A decent holding midfielder.
An attack minded midfielder
A right back
A winger
good young English talent

Get rid of

Hibbert
Neville

Next match for me due to distance is the Arse game on the 29th of Dec.

Come on you blue boys you can make all Evertonians Xmas one to cheer.

Jonny Brown
6   Posted 10/12/2007 at 14:23:37

And what I’m saying is, is that its OK saying the fans are right when they get a decision right, but what about iffy ones like some silly silly suggestions put forward on here. Bring back AvDM, play 15 year olds, play Lescott in midfield, AJ as a winger, Vaughan as the top striker at the club, bring in reserves who have done sweet FA. Being a manager is about making good decisions consistently. Stick to your FM where the stakes aren’t as high
David London
7   Posted 10/12/2007 at 14:19:36

Chris Perry "Get rid of Hibbert, Neville" ? If DM listened to supporter in recent times the two you mention plus Carsley, Osman, Jags, The Yak, would all be gone! Let DM pick his squad!
Andy Callan
8   Posted 10/12/2007 at 14:58:48

Were you watchin’ the same game as me the other day?

Oh and we have only beaten the bottom 8 teams.

In order for us to progress we need to satrt beating teams around us in the table and those above us.

Performances have been poor and i have not been entertained once. Even in Germany I only enjoyed the experence as the team never set the place on fire. In fact us Evertonians were very quiet indeed.

So in short; we need to beat decent teams before I start getting even slightly optimistic.

I have been let down so many times in the past that i have become a sceptic. BIG TIME.

2 defeats in the next 2 games will bring the ’Moyes Out’ brigade back to the forum.
Art Greeth
9   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:58:52

"..2 defeats in the next 2 games will bring the ?Moyes Out? brigade back to the forum..."

That phrase nicely sums up the fickleness of some folk.
Brendan McLaughlin
10   Posted 10/12/2007 at 18:42:27

Pretty silly post Andrew. If a managers job is that easy why do they get paid so much money.
Richard Porter
11   Posted 11/12/2007 at 00:09:32

Andy Callan: You haven’t been entertained once? If you don’t find a 7-1 win entertaining, then why watch football? Even if you don’t think the football was good quality (an argument some have made, but not one I subsctibe to), it’s still entertaining.

What would they have to do to entertain you? What would it take for you to be satisfied? And, if you can’t take pleasure in a 10-game unbeaten run, 1 7-1 win and the joint second most premiership goals of the season, then why follow the game? Why spend money going to matches if nothing the team do can satisfy you?
Michael Kenrick
12   Posted 11/12/2007 at 03:18:39

I thought Andy Callan was going to behave himself but it seems he has sunk back into his own subtle irony in the above message in prder to [presumably make some point or other. Really people, let’s try to avoid using sarcasm and irony -- it just doesn’t work, unless you make it very obvious that’s what you’re doing... in which case it looks totally lame. Either way, just avoid, for all our sakes, please!
Andy Callan
13   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:43:03

Mike, Rich & Art - I feel that I have to defend myself here...

If you think that we are playing good football then you are very mistaken. Hoofing a long ballall over the gaff isn’t ’sexy football’. What I am trying to say is that footie these days is governed by not gettin’ beat. Too many teams just try to grind out result and sacrifice the fact that we need to see good football.

I admit that results have improved, but now do our performances as well.

7-1 against a shite Mackam team is hardly anythin’ to write home about it is? Although i agree that no one else has done it.

I am not being ironic at all I am simply saying that when we lose a few games on the spin it will all be doom, gloom and mid-table mediocrity again.

I have been let down too much in the past to get excited about finishing 5th (which is the best we can hope for) in the league.

I am entitled to my opinion gentlemen as are you.

Anyway, you all have a nice Chrimbo and smile, smile, smile.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYB.
Michael Kenrick
14   Posted 11/12/2007 at 13:35:09

I apologise, Andy, for misconstrueing what you had written.... In which case, I know I’m hard to please but to say you have not been entertained once seems a little OTT, surely? Other than that, I would agree with the spirit of what you are saying, although Having put in such a good run, I think people will be less quick to go all out with the doom and gloom if it does come to an end.