Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Planet Everton

Quite apart from his land speed record breaking journey from Goodison to the Tesco site, I am sceptical about anything Robert Earl says or does. No-one ever mentions that Planet Hollywood nosedived years ago, having expanded too fast.

Shareholders who invested in Planet Hollywood when it went public mostly lost their money as the share price dropped from 20 pounds to about 75p in a couple of years. Earl's business went bankrupt twice and its global expansion failed miserably with numerous restaurant closings across the world. So don't be surprised when he tells you Kirkby is Paradise on the Alt and just a hop a skip and a jump from Goodison Park.

As much as I am heartened by the continued vocal opposition to the exit from Liverpool, these individuals, even if guided by the best intentions, are bent on pushing this Kirkby move down our throats and nothing we do can stop them. You only have to look at the way questions have been evaded, debate cut short and lies told throughout.

Only their own mis-steps will stop this happening.
Peter Fearon, Liverpool     Posted 10/12/2007 at 13:22:30

Comments

Colm
Will Robert Earl be viewed as "the new Paul Gregg" in a year or two from now if the Kirkby Project gets called in?
Mike Homfray
1   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:26:53

Kirkby is happening. Move on.
Seamus Murphy
2   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:51:31

I really wish people would stop saying things like "Kirkby is happening. Move on".
If people want to talk about it, debate it or protest in a peaceful way against it then they are entitled to do that.

If you dont want to do any of the above then thats fine. Just dont tell others what to do. It is quite easy for YOU to "move on" to the next thread.
Marcus Dawson
3   Posted 10/12/2007 at 16:08:22

well said Seamus, I don?t get the move on brigade at all, if you don?t want to look turn away. There?s plenty left to talk about and an awful long way to go, Kirkby may not happen for lots of reasons but the implications of the move are such that every Evertonian is entitled to debate the subject ad finitum if they so wish. I don?t trust Earl, but then I wouldn?t trust any of the new money that?s come into the game. His interest is obviously based around Kirkby and I?d love to know precisely what he stands to gain but I guess we?ll have to wait and see. In the meantime can we at least all talk about it?
Neil McKinney
4   Posted 10/12/2007 at 16:55:29

I’ll second that (or is it third that). "move on" just misses the point completely.

Maybe people/fans are powerless to stop the move, maybe not, but there is one thing that they can do and that’s come on here and debate it. I know very little about the ins and outs of the deal (and alternatives) but I have learnt a lot from joining in the debates on this site.

Ignore the "move on" crew along with the "if you were a true Evertonian" lot. The level of debate on both sides proves how important this is to the fans involved, so to question their credentials as a fan just because their opinion may differ is unfair.
Ray Lupton
5   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:01:06

Message removed by moderators for abuse
Mick Mac
6   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:36:49

I think Robert Earl is investing in Everton to make profit. Nothing wrong with that. It may be he has ulterior motives but as long as it benefits Everton and it moves us from where we are financially to where we can compete with others I think we should reserve judgement. His company Planet Hollywood is actually doing very well if you have a look. They are up to 19 restaraunts worldwide and having read some of the articles about him, he is a good man to have on board. A very shrewd operater. Everton have not run a succesful business for quite some time now that is until BIll took iver the rein with limited resources. But I dont think anyone can even say we havent turned a corner.
mick Simo
7   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:57:31

I dont mind constructive debate but name calling and aiming your hatred, riducule and comments towards a bloke who 99% of people on this site have never met, he makes a comment about a journey time to Kirkby and the venom that people spew out what do you want him to do crawl and beg for forgiviness to a bunch of narrow minded bigots no its not Kenwright and Co that are ripping the heart of this club, it is the narrow minded bigots who just wont accept anyone who dosen’t happen to agree with their blinkered views. I wouldn’t invest one penny into EFC, you only need to read some of these posts to say fuck you lot go and find some other prick to vent your narrow minded views at.Debate you couldnt have a debate with a bunch of bigots, who just cant accept they might just be a little bit wrong no I would rather have a debate with Bin Laden
Mick Mac
8   Posted 10/12/2007 at 18:16:08

I think people should get their facts rigth about our newest board member. His Planet Hollywood empire now baosts 19 restaraunts worldwide and is actually booming. I think we have a good business man in him and I beleive we will go from strength to strength. Everton ahve been run poorly for a long time till dare I say it, Bill got in control with limited resources. Slowly he has turned things around and I do beleive he has got the right team about him ti make a success of the blues. I dont think anyoine could say we havent turned a corner and things are looking up well the team are at least.
I think you should just lets see I for one do trust the board and if that is arse licking then so be it. Butg my passion is the blues and their success. I want to be able to face the redshite on a more even keel and I beleive we are on the verge of that.
Dave Roberts
9   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:01:29

Well said Mick.

Billy Brad
10   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:14:16

Tesco lose another planning battle in Scotland, I think they are finally being found out and KEIOC WILL WIN THE BATTLE OF KIRKBY.
I do hope Wyness and co havnt burnt all there bridges with LCC, as they will have to run cap in hand back to Bradley and co.
Dave Roberts
11   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:54:56

I recently vowed never to enter the Stadium debate again. So I will indulge in a little Auto-journalism instead (a-la Clarkson....’ a star in a reasonably priced car’ and all that) I tried this run on Sunday in my 207 GTI ( not a special journey, just travelling between family members homes) Had a bit of luck with most of the lights but did it in 9 mins 42 seconds. It was probably a bit less actually as I had to shout at the wife to stop the watch more than once. My car does 0-40 in 3.6 seconds. Bobby’s Bentley probably does it in about 2.2 seconds, hence his quicker time.

Have to say though, for a truly dedicated Evertonian who loves his/her club and who would (like Davey Hickson) die for it, what price a 15 minute taxi ride from Goodison for a fucking fiver? Or maybe in due course a 20 minute tram ride to a shiny new stadium.... WHERE YOUR BLOODY TEAM PLAY AND WHO WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND LOYALTY? I will avoid saying’ move on’ because this is auto-journalism isn’t it? But it does make you wonder where some supporter’s real loyalties lie. To their own bigoted opinions or to the Club they profess to support? Supporters like that, maybe, we could do without. Supporters who were given a vote, lost it, but will nevertheless never ’move on’(sorry about that) and seek to abuse anybody who doesn’t agree with them. SAD.
James Elworthy
12   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:26:42

With the majority of traffic lights green it takes 10 mins via Rice Lane past the Copplehouse to reach the M57 junction at Kirkby.
Hollywood Bob joining the board and the availibility of money to buy players like Yakubu may be a coincidence but give the guy a chance. I have ate in Planet Hollywood anyone who can sell burger and chips for a tenner knows how to make dosh.
Keith Charlesworth
13   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:37:21

Dave Roberts...
I think what winds up a lot of supporters who are opposed (for whatever reasons) to Everton moving to Kirkby is the crass insensitivity and supercilious attitude of people who behave like Echo scribes and see no flaws in the proposals whatsoever. Perhaps there are no flaws!
How long do you reckon ’in due course’ will be? Are you privy to the traffic/public transport plans?
As for shiny new, I got a shiny new MFI wardrobe once but I got what I paid for.
And please don’t lecture or patronise me. I refuse to ’move on’, ’accept it’, ’get over it’ or be persuaded by any sentence that ends in ’end of’.
I also suspect moving from Goodison and further away from the City centre is not seen as so big a deal for those who live outside Liverpool, for whom a few extra miles on their car journey is neither here nor there.
Tommy Jones
14   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:45:07

I agree with James I think its time to give all the board a break, and lets just look at the issues on the pitch, after its all said and done was it not Kenwright who employed David Moyes, and is it not Moyes who is finally building a top 6 team and bringing some quality young players to the club, not over the hill as beens. I can now walk into work with my chest out and head up, European adventures and some pride and respect back into the club. Some say this is the best sqaud of players EFC have had since the golden days of the 80s and I have no plans in shouting for the board to resign. It is the first time in years I honestly believe we are capeable of wining a trophy. Just a thought
Paul Whitehouse
15   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:51:46

MOVE ON - we getting a world class stadium, investment from tesco?s and an investor into the club in the shape of Robert Earl.

Again in seems the majority of fans are only happy when there moaning, god i miss the peter johnson days!!
Why dont we start a Earl out chant at west ham?

Dick Fearon
16   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:52:49

KEIOC must have an affordable alternative to Kirkby. I wish they would let me know what it is.
Michael Tracey
17   Posted 10/12/2007 at 23:24:10

Dave Roberts. Okay now you do that journey with another 30 odd thousand other people and see how long it takes. Its called a traffic jam. Read the AGM report. Our Board don?t know their ass from their elbow in terms of transport to the stadium so how do you? We could also do without supporters who are so easily lead down a path of smokey mirrors and half-truths.
Peter Fearon
18   Posted 11/12/2007 at 06:31:54

Paul Whitehouse - I don’t think even the most avid tear down Goodison advocate would call the TescoDome world class. New, yes, bigger, somewhat, world class, er - IDTS. The issue here is that we are exiting Liverpool and reinventing ourselves as a small town provincial club on the periphery of the city. Some of us believe that’s a good idea, some believe that it’s not really happening. Some of us believe it’s a catastrophe in the making. If that shouldn’t be a subject of discussion I don’t know what should. But look. We all love Everton don’t we?. Wouldn’;t something obviously, monolithically beneficial unite us? Isn’t the fact that it is divisive cause enough in itself to suspect this plan and think again?
Marcus Dawson
19   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:35:28

The fact is that there?s an awful lot of us in the middle of this debate, the concern I have is that the noises coming from Goodison are sounding ever more ridiculous and some of us are picking up the thread. Mick Mac, you revisited the board to repeat your point, why? Earl is a businessman, he?s deliberately run into chapter 11 twice to avoid his creditors, bounced back again and now has 19 restaurants world wide. That doesn?t make him Al Capone, but he?s not exactly Richard Bransom either. A lot of us find Earl?s latest contribution and some recent comments from Wyness bemusing, are we really expected to believe it will take 10 mins to get to Kirkby on a match day? Freddy Shepherd was exposed as a man with utter contempt for the supporters, I?m afraid Earl?s comments suggest to me that he thinks he?s got the measure of ?soccer fans? and I for one feel very insulted.
Gordon Blair
20   Posted 11/12/2007 at 11:24:28

When the Stadium Proposal was first floated, I was firmly in the yes camp... a brand new Stadium, seating 55,000 for a nett outlay of 50M? Just figures you can’t argue with.. ok Technically it was outside the city boundary, but every ground we’ve moved to was technically outside the limits when we moved there.. and Kirkby’s always been the home of scousers, regardless what any Norwegian Kopite says.

However,
the way the debate has been conducted,
the way options have been summarily dismissed without a proper conclusive optioneering exercise,
the random and inconsistent soundbites from the club ("what’s that Keith, 75000 seats? cor that’d be great"),
the way the price is now spiralling from 50- 70/80 - 100 - 150M.
the disturbing news about the parking / transportation challenge just not being met,
the emergent Planning issues (not helped by the 75,000 capacity statement)
The one way exclusivity agreement, whereby we couldn’t meet with LCC, but Knowsley could get all cosy with a competitor bid headed by Asda’a (which, would actually appear to be a better offer for Kirkby)

all of this, quite frankly scares the crap out of me... perhaps the Kirkby Stadium IS deliverable, whether it is deliverable under current management however, is questionable.

I would like to make one point though, BK has never professed to be a businessman, he’s appointed someone to do that job for him... I can’t really blame Bill for the mess, because he does seem to sincerely think he’s doing what’s right for the club... Keith however, I wouldn’t trust as far as i could throw him.. and as big a lad as i am, that’s not very far at all.