Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Who is the Goodison one?

Moyse has been quoted on the OS as saying he has 1 player in mind for the January transfer window.

I think we need a decent winger - could SWP or Downing be heading our way?

Any suggestions on who they could be?
Amanda Huddleston, Manchester (but an EFC fan!)     Posted 10/12/2007 at 13:45:57

Comments

Colm
He spoke at length at the AGM and was asked directly about this. Citing the loss of players to the African Nations Cup he pointed out that midfield would probably be more of an issue than central defence, so I would imagine if anyone is to come in, it just might be a midfielder.
Andy Callan
1   Posted 10/12/2007 at 14:50:11

Personally I think that we need a right winger and then we can play Arteta in his best position; the centre of midfield.

It is purely the lack of a winger that forces Moyes to play Arteta out there.

He needs to be in the middle were he can have more influence on the game.

We need a winger BIG TIME - I hope to Christ we don?t buy Downing coz he is crap. Peddersen is out-of-favour at Blckburn at the moment and he scores goals. Someone who nets regularly is a must.
Amanda
2   Posted 10/12/2007 at 14:58:20

Is Ronaldo happy at Man U!!?
Fosu Gharban
3   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:07:27

Arshavin I hope.
Brian Robson
4   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:11:49

Arse Shaving!?

I thought you were refering to what Ronaldo was upto at Man U.

Then I realised you mean the Zenit player - I agree he would be fabulous

James Elworthy
5   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:13:11

Arshavin for £8M would be a snip. SWP amd Downing are not in the same league as him.

Ricardo Quaresma would be a good buy but might be too expensive.
A new right back and centre back to add to the depth in the squad may have to be acquired also with the injuries and losing Yobo.
Peter Laing
6   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:20:00

Erm........anyone for Riquelme ? lol
David Barks
7   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:18:40

What exactly has SWP done to warrant anyone wanting to buy him. He has sat on the bench at Chelsea for a couple of seasons. And don’t say he’s an England International because after our performances in Euro 2008 that is not a positive. Moyes has said he wants a midfielder and has said he’s expanding the scouting network to look at more overseas players. Put those two together and hopefully that will mean we get a player from somewhere on the continent.
Simon Smith
8   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:21:11

Would love to see Arshavin in a blue shirt but didn't Moyes say he was after a tall midfielder a few weeks back? Can't see it being him.
Mike Homfray
9   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:24:01

I think it could be Downing. I think he is good, just has been a bit injury prone, and playing within Middlesbrough doesn’t leave a lot of room for creativity. We’re not always exciting but compared to them....
Seamus Murphy
10   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:37:18

Andy - Pederson is hardly out of favour at Blackburn, he has played in every league game this season - and not been very impressive at all. Plus depite you saying he gets goals his record this season is played 15 scored none.
Im sorry but he is definitely not what we need.
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
11   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:43:49

Reference Downing and whether he’s any good ... Perhaps Davy can chat with the Yak (probably has already) and get his views. After all, they did play in the same side and it’s the Yak who’ll be most reliant on the winger - if it is indeed a winger who is on the shopping list.
Gary Creaney
12   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:41:26

I have a notion it will be Matt Taylor of Portsmouth. During the live showing of the Villa v Portsmouth game on sky, the commentator stated that Harry Redknapp would not stand in Taylor?s way if he wanted to go. Weren?t we linked with him in the summer also.
Not sure if he?s the man we need but something tells me that?s who we?re getting.
Jamie Barlow
13   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:47:11

What about Giles Barnes from Derby? 6’1 left footed can play left or central.
Erik Dols
14   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:46:20

And he’s looking to bring the average age in the squad down further.

Putting al this together we’re looking for a young, tall midfielder from the continent. Too bad for Michael Owen.
Peter Reid
15   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:49:24

Alright lads? I’m looking for work at the mo, reckon I could get a game ahead of Gravesen at this rate. I’m cheap and available. How about it?
Andy Ellams
16   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:52:12

He could do worse than bring in a central defender on loan though. Not much cover for Lescott and Stubbs (if even fit) when Yobo is away. Jagielka is not good enough to play there regularly. Totally agree about a midfielder with pace though.

I’m happy for Arteta to play out wide too. It seems to give him licence to roam around and do his own thing. If we had a quick winger on the opposite side then Pienaar could link the two as well as bring Cahill and Yakubu into play around the penalty area. Wish we’d got Ashley Young now.
Frank Gould
17   Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:47:42

I suspect that it might be Paul Scharner. As (a) it was rumoured last year, (b) he is at odds with his manager, (c) he would provide cover for both midfield and centre back and (d) he would probably be within the budget. In addition, lack of form or reputation has not been a deterrent to Moyes in the past. The situation is not unlike that of Pienaar when he came.
Colin Jones
18   Posted 10/12/2007 at 16:41:05

I disagree about needing a winger! I think what would help us most is a commanding,box to box big grock of a central midfielder. Maduro, Makoun spring to mind (from Football Manager ;-). With a player like that we would be more able to cope physically in midfield and enable us to play 442 more effectively. 451 works for us because we have to pack the midfield a bit because we have several small midfielders. Arteta is definitely better out wide, giving him time to draw defenders and use his acceleration to make space. If heplayed centrally it would have to be an attacking ’in-the-hole’ position i feel.
John Lloyd
19   Posted 10/12/2007 at 16:44:11

I’m another on the Arshavin bandwagon, he looked absolute quality for Russia & for Zenit. He might be seen as being to similar to Osman, Pienaar & Arteta though and I think we probably need a more physical player, thats why I dont think he’ll buy a winger. I also think he reckons Arteta is better from the sides.....I think I agree too!

I’d love to see Scott Brown from celtic involved with some sort of swap deal for Faddy, unlikely but we can all wish. Apart from that I’m stumped to be honest.......whats the situation with that Vogel fella, he come very, very close to signing in summer.

Claus Thomson
20   Posted 10/12/2007 at 16:56:35

Come & get me Davie, you toffee guys havent seen the best of me.........my comeback would be like when Duncan come back from Newcastle.

Please, I’m skint!!
El-ray jackson
21   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:02:45

Buying Nelson from Benfica and using him as a right winger could be an option. this would allow Arteta to move into the middle, then he’d be more closer to Pienaar and both of them can work their magic.
John Jones
22   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:08:04

Mark Noble looks a great prospect at West Ham, young, tall, box to box, would love to see him him in a blue shirt, unlikely they?d sell but what about a swap deal involving Johnson??
Chris Masey
23   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:26:22

Kevin Kilbane
Dave Roskin
24   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:16:07

I still think Tom Huddlestone, Matthew Etherington and Matty Taylor would all be good pick-ups. Downing is completely overrated. Vogel on a free would be a fine addition, but he’s 30 and is not the long-term answer. I also still think we should make a play for PSV’s Edison Mendez.
Vinod Kumar
25   Posted 10/12/2007 at 17:41:03

Wes Brown as a cover for centre half, Luis Miguel/Alan Hutton for rightback, Van Bommel/Juninho as a physical box to box midfield general, Gilberto Silva as a defensive lynchpin, Maxi Rodriguez/ Wesley Sneijder/ Ludovic Giuly as a winger and we are the finished article! Some of these players together with our current quality performers and I wouldn’t be surprised if we dominate the league as well as europe!
Thomas Corker
26   Posted 10/12/2007 at 18:39:04

From Wikipedia:

"On December 6, 2007, Arshavin annouced his interest in joining Newcastle United F.C."

Oh dear. Are we sure we want someone with such bad judgement?
Jeremy Baskin
27   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:19:26

It?ll be wes brown, for sure.

Midfielders? How do we need more? We have trouble as it is accommodating carsely, osman, arteta, cahill, piennar, jagielka, mcfadden, neville, gravesen.....

Thats NINE players who can play in midfield. And I?m being generous in not including baines who could do a job at left-side.

We are short at the back. We have no natural right back that is very good, at the moment.
Joel Landry
28   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:23:06

Why do people keep throwing Westhead Brown in

Stop it. He is shit.
Paul Hennessey
29   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:24:21

Realistically Kightly from Wolves (3-4 million) looks a good left winger
or Appiah 7-8 million from Fenerbache - we certainly look to need a little more natual balance on the left side and a bit of speed/strength in the middle

Expect Wes Brown at the end of the season on a free, money?s not a problem for United so unlikely they?d let him go now anyway.
El-ray Jackson
30   Posted 10/12/2007 at 19:31:44

JL i’m with you Wes Brown is shit. Downing is overrated but i fear Moyes will go after him because he is an England international, be it a shit one! Matty Tailer is average we should be aiming to get better players than that. I dont rate Huddlestone, If they are not deemed to be good enough for their clubs why should they be deemed good enough for us. If Tailer was that good then Pompy should be going out of their way to keep him, same with Huddlestone and etherington,all these are average players at best, players that just make up the numbers in a squad. We should be looking at special players from abroad.
Declan McCarthy
31   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:13:36

It has to be Fernandes,great player in the making,himself and Vaughan brought us to europe last season,I still feel Manny is a blue,don,t give up on him just yet.
Connor Rohrer
32   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:09:25

We dont need a winger and I think its already been proven that Moyes isn’t fond of them. He plays creative central players like Arteta, Osman and Pienaar outwide and I personally dont mind that. They are better team players than wingers and are less individual. Wenger does exactly the same thing with Hleb and Rosciky at Arsenal and they dont have a problem.

I wouldn’t want either Downing or Wright-phillips. Downing for one isn’t what I would call a natural out and out winger. He just doesn’t have the attributes. He’s not particularly quick or skillful and doesn’t hit the byline. Yes his crossing is consistent but most of these would be coming from deep and our easily cleared. SWP probably the better option is not someone I would particularly want. Yes he’s quick but his dribbling and end product leave alot to be desired. He often is so quick he leaves the ball behind and I dont think I need to mention his crossing which is awful. Neither are players I would desperatly want.

I dont go along with theory that we need a big grock in the middle. There’s no doubting that we need a central midfielder but I’d rather have someone who’s decent on the ball instead of a physical headless chicken. Look at Sissoko. He’s tall and he’ll run all day for you. bully opponents and make you alot more physical but give him the ball and he’s lost. I’d rather have a ball player. Not a lightweight ball player like Arteta, Osman or Pienaar but someone like Diaby and Fernandes.
Dan Ferrie
33   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:26:06

Scott Brown would be fantastic!
Danny Geary
34   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:32:52

James Milner would be a great buy could play either right or left; skillful, hardworking and scores goals
Gee Jay
35   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:40:48

All depends how long Stubbs will be out and combined the ANC then I think a defender is a must. A defender on loan and a winger on a permanent deal or vice versa
James Elworthy
36   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:14:59

I saw Huddlestone play on TV last week when he came on at half time.
He was very comfortable on the ball and stroked the ball round like a Brazilian. Granted he is far from the complete product but he is not short of ability, a manager like Moyes could get more out of.
Ray Roche
37   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:27:29

With all due respect us being linked with an England international doesnt really set my pulse racing anymore..I do think this player could be Matt taylor though who Moyes is going for because after the failure to sign Fernandes is the summer Moyes was wanting Taylor but was unwilling to match Portsmouths 8 million valualtion of him..I hope that doesnt mean relegating Steve Pienaar to the bech though because frankly I would rather have Stevie P there anytime than a supposed England international..
John Murphy
38   Posted 10/12/2007 at 20:55:06

Wes Brown- Do you think that he is really going to want to leave Man U because he isnt playing to come here and play second fiddle to Yobo and Lescott. Not good enough anyway.
Stephen Appiah- Would be a great signing, however will Moyes buy a player who he wont be able to use for a month because of the African Nations.
Matt Taylor- Only recognised because of two great goals he has scored. Again not good enough.
Matthew Etherington- Only playing at West Ham because of their injuries.

Moyes has insisted that we are now a club who are able to look at bigger an better players in the transfer market as we are now looking to make the step up to challenge for Champions League. Do you really think that any of the players above would make us better. I don’t think we need a winger, a box to box centre midfielder who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck is exactly what we need. I would take Fernandes back tomorrow.
Paul Whitehouse
39   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:14:20

ITS A DONE DEAL - STEWART FUCKING DOWNING!!
Garry Nickson
40   Posted 10/12/2007 at 21:53:38

I wish people would stop going on (as at the top of this thread) about move Arteta to his ?best position? in the middle.

Moyes has turned Arteta into an excellent wide midfielder who drifts all across the pitch to find space to play in. If he was picked in the middle, he?d be stuck to a position and responsible for holding that position in the middle of the pitch. He couldn?t go wandering, picking on defenders as he does now.

Moyes sees him as a wider player and although I wasn?t too sure to start with, I think it?s been one of his best tactical decisions - Arteta is no longer a central midfielder!!!
Allan Hobbs
41   Posted 10/12/2007 at 22:03:12

Putting Arteta would be like putting Beckham in the middle when he was in his pomp - pointless. You do that and you negate his most powerful weapon; crossing. Leave him on the wing, let him drift in & out as G Nickson says.

As for our ’one signing in January’ well it could be anyone but my money would be on Downing. I have to say though, he doesn’t float my boat in the slightest but would give us good balance. Mind you, we look pretty well balanced currently anyway so even though adding to the numbers is always a good thing, we could go the rest of the season with the squad we have and still do well.
Iain Thomson
42   Posted 10/12/2007 at 22:26:44

Downing is going to cost far more than he is worth, if hes quicker that the opposing fullback hes ok, if he isnt then he is dire. ok delivery from wide but nothing to warrent the fee.

Appiah..that wouldnt suck

Scott Brown.. he knocked back moves down south prior going to celtic, citing the champions league as key reason, so why would he come to us.

Some of the other names are fantasy land, we arent a champions league team or likely to be in the short term, we also arent a london club which i think is a factor when it comes to signings. Arshavin will be on stupid money and wont move to a team likely to be in the UEFA cup

I?ll cry if we spend a big fee on downing
Dean Windass
43   Posted 10/12/2007 at 22:35:15

Blow Me
Jason Broome
44   Posted 10/12/2007 at 22:43:04

Didn’t DM recently say he was looking to buy Champions League quality to take us forward. Scharner, Downing, Taylor, Barnes, Noble, Kilbane, etc are gutter trash.

We are looking to crack the top four why on earth would he spend money on players who would struggle to crack the top six!

If he is looking to buy one player, then expect him to buy big. He knows who he wants, he is just playing with the transfer market, the media and us. His last two targets were Yakubu & Fernandez...
expect more of the same.
Stu Shaw
45   Posted 10/12/2007 at 23:11:33

All this transfer talk is very good but I think we should all support however Moyes brings in. He will be young, defensive minded and international class... that should say it all. If it is to be Stewart Downing let's give him a chance first and judge like Yakubu... he was very poor to start but now we see his best, managed by Moyes...

Trust in the best manager beside Wenger and Ferguson... Never mind the other two top four tossers lawro... Re Daily Mirror Mirror.
ps: I would like to see Manny back for what it's worth.
Ray Mia
46   Posted 10/12/2007 at 23:19:36

If Yakubu goes to the ACN, would that leave us short up front? especially if joined by Anichebe?

Johnson, Vaughn and McFadden as the only recognised strikers throughout Jan when pushing for League, FA, Carling [after the result on Wednesday...] and UEFA.

Would McFadden stay? Birmingham with McLeish putting in an offer.

Even of he stays and I would want him to [albeit a little sluggish vs Zenit, I still rate his partnership with Johnson] still leaves us with 3 strikers if both Yakubu and Anichebe go for the month.

What about Nugent on loan until the end of the season?

Re: Defence, I would take Brown.

Re: Midfield, I would take Fernandez back in a shot, but I doubt this would be on the cards after the debacle this Summer. I would hope Moyes would look to bring in a player with a view to signing long term.

Can?t think to name anyone, but would hope to sign a creative central midfielder with strength in the ilk of Lampard and dare I say it... Gerrard. Not suggesting these are easy to come by, or the right age or price. However, we did sign Gravesen on loan, and he was not the right age.

There is enough cover for the wide creatives, and I also think Jagielka will grow into the role of holding midfielder, and Neville would do a job.
Jason Broome
47   Posted 11/12/2007 at 00:11:02

My prediction... Sissoko! He is an ideal replacement for Carsley, has an abundance of Champions League experience, won the Spanish Primera League Title, plays like Viera, is tall, 23 and defencively minded, was a former Moyes target and could be available shortlyfor around £8 Million.

Watch this space!
Matt Bone
48   Posted 11/12/2007 at 00:17:01

Why the urgent need for a winger? Peanut and arteta are looking good this year. Downing isnt good enough and SWP would cost too much. I agree that we need a central midfielder and as moyes was linked heavily with several in the summer, i imagine thats where he will try and strengthen. In the summer he will then need a couple of defenders - RB and CB. Hutton from Rangers looks good and the CL footy he is getting at the moment will be good experience for him.
Paul Daly
49   Posted 11/12/2007 at 02:26:50

........apparently it’s a young up-and-coming Arab kid.
Ken-Al-Ballharvi.....trust me....
Andy
50   Posted 11/12/2007 at 02:42:09

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it’s always good to read something like this regarding Pienaar:-

Peter Corcoran
51   Posted 11/12/2007 at 06:52:00

I actually think we need to be considering a proper replacement for Lee Carsley as there is nobody at the club that does his job as well as he does. The two Phil’s do not fit that bill in my opinion, but then again I didn’t think we could afford the luxury of a midfield with Peinaar and Osman in the same side - so what do I know?

I would have Genaro Gattaso who at around 29/30 would be ideal for the next few years - and he has played British football for Rangers. Anyone else have any ideas?
Shaun Brennan
52   Posted 11/12/2007 at 08:20:26

I see football manager is in full swing.

so i’ll just have my twopence worth.

edmar of metalist.
Harj
53   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:19:25

How about this - Sell McFadden to Brum in exchange for Kapo - I have watched this guy 5 times this year and is looking decent in a average team. He is quick and scores goals.

What you think?
Harj Badial
54   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:46:15

Kapo is good on the left

Get rid of VDM and McFadden - Agree Kapo is quality
Ray Robinson
55   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:52:56

Nugent on loan until the end of the season may not be a bad move if the lad actually looked Premier League class but he looks completely out of his depth at this level..I did say in the summer when everyone was banging on about him being a 6 million bargain that he lacked what was needed to be a top flight striker and its proved correct. Nugent will end up at Derby and another season or two in the Championship may help him learn more about his game although I wouldnt hold my breath on seeing him in a blue shirt as long as we are in the Prem. Another Lee Trundle..Much flaunting but evidently garbage. Moyes says that he is now looking at players of a Champions League class standard and we know how he works..He has probably earmarked one player who he is sure can make an improvement on what we already have..Its like a slow jigsaw..Piece by piece he is getting into place a team to give us some hope of success..At least we have some entertainment level back at Goodison now and thats a big step forward in my view..We only need to buy one player in January. Yes we will need cover for Yak and Anichebe but we could easily find a striker with experience to come in on a months loan, something similar to the Brian McBride agreement a few years back. Just keep it up Everton thats all we ask..Just keep going
Sean Allinson
56   Posted 11/12/2007 at 10:36:29

Moyes has already stated that he is after a tall midfielder with a physical presence which will enable him to play 4-4-2 with Baines in the team. The manager sees the lack of height throughout as a problem and has sometimes meant Lescott being employed at LB even when Baines is fit. I just hope he goes after someone with a little more talent than Kevin Nolan.
David Graves
57   Posted 11/12/2007 at 11:28:04

Ray Mia. Some good pints that I agree with mostly but I will have to pick you up on - " I also think Jagielka will grow into the role of holding midfielder, and Neville would do a job".
I’m not havin’ that.
Paul McMullan
58   Posted 11/12/2007 at 11:33:59

Moyes has been after a tall, athletic box-to-box player ever since the ill-fated bid for Sissoko.

I would doubt whether he would try for Sissoko again but I reckon that is the type of player he is after.

I was very surprised he didn’t try to sign Papa Bouba Diop on deadline day because he would have fitted the bill and he was available.
Matthew Thomas
59   Posted 11/12/2007 at 13:11:02

Nolan from Bolton would be the type of tall
central midfielder Moyes likes.
Andy Ellams
60   Posted 11/12/2007 at 13:19:38

Still a cover a centre back is vital, but please not Wes Brown or Anton Ferdinand. I think the one areas Moyes really does need to get a grip of is his scouting network round Europe. Buying young British players is all good, but there is top quality talent out there we would fit the bill at Everton too. And don’t dismiss players with some experience too. They may only have a couple of years left at the top, but could still help us to keep moving in the right direction.
El-ray jackson
61   Posted 11/12/2007 at 14:50:34

Nolan is a headless chicken! We can only sign him under one condition, thats only if we want return to playing HOOFBALL!!!!!!!!
Ray Mia
62   Posted 11/12/2007 at 18:12:17

David Graves. Come on, I did say Jagielka would have to grow into the role, meaning he could not do it at present, and although I said Neville could do a job, I left out what sort of job!!!
Dave Roskin
63   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:17:05

Newsflash - with Valencia out of the Champions League folowing today’s 0-0 draw with Chelsea, they wind up last in the group and threrefore do not even get the UEFA Cup as a consolation prize. Could a bid for Manny be more of a reality now?

If not (or in addtion), Huddelstone would be a great signing - he’s still young and raw, but nourishing him with a Moyes-style work ethic and getting him out of the London spotlight would do him a world of good. I’m telling you guys.

Appiah would be a great pick-up as well. And I also think we need a solid winger in the catastrophic event Arteta picks up an injury.