Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

January sales

As a supporter of the club for over 60 years I am pleased to see a turnaround in our fortunes, due mainly to David Moyes developing as a manager over the last few years, from a rather raw novice to a reasonably adept tactician. Game tactics were not his strong point when he arrived from Preston and it has taken him until this season to mature but he now looks like the real Macoy!

Regarding the January sales: I hope that, should he get rid of a striker, then Johnson would be my preference. My reasons are as follows:

• Osman is developing into a similar sort of player and can now do the same job as Andy.
  • It would be wise to keep McFadden as we do not have another like him with the unpredictability factor, something most defenders find difficult to manage. He could work well alone or in tandem with Osman up front.
  • Vaughan is not quite the finished product yet and so could not be relied on to perform week in week out at present.
  • Anichebe is nearer but still needs experience under his belt before he can regularily lead the line.
  • Yak is the finished product and just needs careful management to keep him fit and flowing.
Maybe we could let Andy go and use the cash to get another right back and a big midfielder such as Gravesen but younger , not to say that he couldn't fit the bill given a chance but from what I have seen of him so far since his return, he doesn't look as assured as he used to before he left us.

I'm not convinced that Anton Fredinand is the right man for us, although it would be convenient as the Hammers seem keen on Andy but it may be that we should look abroad where there are many talented midfielders available.

The present squad are beginning to play in a style similar to the first Kendall teams and this pleases me but that team had midfield power which this one is missing. Arteta of course is a very talened player but his best and most effective role is as a winger in old style. Oh for a Peter Farrell to turn up!
Peter Davis, France     Posted 10/12/2007 at 15:06:54

Comments

Jonathan Freemont
1   Posted 11/12/2007 at 08:10:29

Peter - I?m afraid you are showing your age here. Osman a similar player to AJ?

How?

1. AJ is quick, Osman slow
2. Osman good first touch, AJ bad first touch
3. Osman midfielder, AJ forward
4. AJ plays on last defenders shoulder, Osman behind
Harj Badial
2   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:41:53

Peter - you been on that Kronenberg again?

McFadden must go - he is a waste - and at this moment in time we should get 5/6m for him?

Need Manny back - I know he snubbed us - but I think he was Ill advised !
John Lloyd
3   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:41:55

Good first paragraph, you really had me interested. To compare Osman to Johnson, well I dont wanna say your wrong cos its all about opinions but I think JF above me says it all concerning that one!!

But then you totally had me in stitches when you suggested we take Anton (big time charly, not in same league as my brother) Ferdinand in part ex for the hardest working striker & the only one with pace in the squad...............

Gotta disagree mate
Dave Trudgeon
4   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:41:23

It wouldn?t make sense to sell aj
he is an england international who is a bit short of confidence
he has bags of pace and he?s a really hard worker
him and yakubu together could be awesome
johnson the workhorse and yakubu reaping the benefits
i don?t rate faddy, never have, i feel sorry for him, we all get on his back and he KNOWS we do so he tries too hard and fucks up!
its a shame because with the right crowd and the right manager he could be good week in week out, but i seriously doubt that will ever happen with us
James Elworthy
5   Posted 11/12/2007 at 09:49:47

I think the ANC will prevent Everton getting rid of any players in January including McFadden.
I can see a defender and a central midfielder coming in, possibly a wide midfielder too.
With the Yak and Victor away, Vaughan always injured, we would need McFadden during this period, so I think he will see the season out. We could get a nice sum of money for him as Celtic & Rangers and probably Birmingham will bid for him.
We are also linked at the moment with 3 youngsters Tozer, Gosling and Gunter. Gunter is 19 and the current Welsh right back. They would cost possibly 4m between them.
Ray Lupton
6   Posted 11/12/2007 at 10:52:45

I think McFadden should really make the transition from a supporting striker to a winger, I know he has played there before for us and been very in and out but I really think it is his best chance of getting regulart football for us. He is never going to get 15 - 20 goals a season and that is really the sort of competition he faces from AJ and the Yak. He needs to learn when to beat a man and when to do the simple things and if and when he learns that he could be a great winger.
Gordon Blair
7   Posted 11/12/2007 at 10:49:56

Gunter looks promising, but we’re not the only interested parties... Cardiff need to sell, but are looking for 5M for him alone. I think he’d be great to bring through, but he wouldn’t get a first team place because that would mean displacing the Club Captain (I don’t want Pip in midfield again, he’s a quality full back, but lost in the middle of the park).
Assuming we can’t find anyone to take Shandy away, I very much doubt anyone will be heading to the exits with the ACN around the corner.
As for Leon, despite his diminutive stature, he’s turning into a proper little box to box CM.. he knits the team together well, and we do appear to play better football when he’s in the middle of the park, due mainly to his willingness to show for the ball quite deep, giving an alternative to the Hoof upfield. I’ve got to be honest, i was never his biggest fan, but am more than happy to eat my words.
As for purchases in the window, Gunter would be nice for the future, but a creative player for the flanks would be my priority, to save Leon from being shunted out. While Pienaar is away, i see the 3 CM slots being filled by Cars, Leon and Timmy (with Tommy as backup) and Mikky and A N Other on the flanks.
Having said all of the above, I’m happy to say that this is one of the first transfer windows where we’re not really needing major surgery, just nice to haves and temporary sticking plasters... the Squad’s looking good... it’s great to be able to say that... Cheers Davey..COYB
Allan Hobbs
8   Posted 11/12/2007 at 11:45:34

Why would we sell AJ?? That would be madness; the guys been out injured lately and had ankle surgery; all of a sudden people want to sell him. Recent times have been about building a squad not selling players to buy others that might play well for us. DM would be insane to sell AJ; the guys class, has pace to burn, works hard as you like and scores goals - ok not at the moment, but every forward has barren spells.

All this knee-jerk selling stuff is nonsensical.
Martin Berry
9   Posted 11/12/2007 at 11:54:36

JM will stay until the end of the season then sold as there is no place for him with our striker options.Appiah is all we need, but how do you bring him over in January? unless Yak & Joey kidnap him and bring back after the ACN !
Allan Hobbs
10   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:09:36

Buying another African International would also be pointless - we need a player whose going to be here all season; another African would be counter-productive. I’d be amazed if we bought Appiah, good as he is. It’ll be Downing if anyone.
James Elworthy
11   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:10:36

The ANC doesnt start until Jan 20th so I suppose if he wanted Appiah he could have him signed before he went there.
AJ will have a chance during the ANC to cement his place back in the side in the absence of the Yak.
If we could get Arshavin for 8k and unload VDM to get his wages off the books then that would be good business, if someone took Nyarko on loan maybe someone will take him.
Allan Hobbs
12   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:26:35

8K for Arshavin? James you’re the etneral optimist mate! ; )

I reckon Arshavin will go to Newcastle anyway; Moyes likes certain types of player, and to buy a Russian isn’t likely for DM I reckon - you now what he’s like; he thinks alot about whether a player would fit in, not just for his ability. He’s very astutue in that regard, hence why the team looks like they enjoy playing together/enjoy each others company. Would a Russian fit the mould? Who knows...
James Elworthy
13   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:38:28

Allan I thought that Arshavin was a 12 to 15m man but I read in the Sunday paper West Ham and Newcastle were in for him and the price quoted was 8m which surprised me.

OK maybe a Russian wouldnt fit in here, they are not too good with the English and possibly he would need to sign another one to keep him company. He doesnt appear to have gone behind the old Iron Curtain for anyone yet but who knows.
Allan Hobbs
14   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:48:20

James, I was being facetious; you put 8k, not 8m...

As a player Arshavin is class and would be a great addition to any team, I just doubt whether DM will tale a punt on a young guy thats never played outside of Russia.

He knows Downing, which I think is a shame cos I dont rate him at all.
Jeremy Goucoff
15   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:54:05

Just to point out one major factor that floors this fella’s whole idea, is that Johnson signed a 5 year contract last month, he aint going anywhere anytime soon.
James Elworthy
16   Posted 11/12/2007 at 12:58:36

Allan : Yes i did 8k sorry I I dont think you could buy Dixie Dean in 1927 for that.
A contract is not worth the paper it is written on. Johnson pens a new deal and probably brings his wages in line with the Yaks. His transfer value is enhanced because he has a longer contract period, however that does not mean he or anyone else for that matter with a similar contract will not leave.
Allan Hobbs
17   Posted 11/12/2007 at 13:02:38

Jeremy - contracts dont mean much in this day & age mate. Just because he signed a deal doesn’t mean he won’t leave. Ever heard of Jean-Marc Bosman?? Clubs sign players up on long term deals these days so that they can sell them at a good price rather than let current deals expire and players leave for free.

I dont think AJ will leave, but not because he’s just signed a new deal.
Ben Brown
18   Posted 11/12/2007 at 13:01:33

I really don’t think Moyes would go for Downing. Has he commented on him in the past or something? He’s been trying to get away from mediocre players for quite a while now.

Going FM mode, I’ve watched Javi Martinez a couple of times this season and he is very, very good. Exactly the kind of player we need. Possibly somewhat out of our league tho.
El-ray Jackson
19   Posted 11/12/2007 at 14:35:48

Antone Ferdinand is shit, a real waste of sperm!! Unfortunately i think Moyes will go for Downing. He would cost us around 10mil and thats only cos hes English and shit. We need to be looking abroad. Moyes did say that he is looking for CL quality players, then in that case Downing dos not fit the bill, so there is a little hope.
rob jones
20   Posted 12/12/2007 at 02:50:22

Haseveryone forgotten about Lucho Gonzalez, he would be a brilliant signing in my opinion and |Im still dreaming of a riquelme/cahill partnership with Arteta and Pienaar on the wings