Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Female Commentators

I don't know if this has been picked up on by other contributors, but was anyone else's enjoyment of the Match of the Day highlights on Saturday spoilt by that female commentator. She was absolutely atrocious, infact she was embarrassing. Frankly, its tokenism gone mad, and typical of the PC numbskulls running the BBC. Maybe there are women out there who would make good football commentators, but this woman definitely isn't.

I actually switched the volume off it was so bad. With Match of the Day and Everton, if its not one thing its something else!
Gareth Hughes, Liverpool     Posted 11/12/2007 at 18:17:15

Comments

Charlie Percival
1   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:24:43

I share your disgust. I'm not sexist but a woman should commentate on woman's football. Her voice is so high pitched and I thought its bloody typical she would be chosen to commentate on Everton!

Women make good presenters (for a few reasons) but Since when have woman been commentators in darts, snooker, f1, golf etc

All I say is bring back Andy Townsend and his Analysis truck!
Pete Logan
2   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:32:56

Charles: Yes you are a sexist. Why can´t women enjoy and be knowledgable about mens football? Is football something that women is banned from?
Rob McFawn
3   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:39:08

the fulham fans probably wont be very happy though, i think every game she has done so far on MotD has been a Fulham game!!!!!
Mark Pendleton
4   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:49:17

Who’s Pete trying to pull that browses this website?
Mick Mac
5   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:56:59

It was really strange hearing a woman commentating on a football match. Technically I thought she was good and up to speed with the game but think I would have to listen a few more times to get used to it. I think again we should reserve judgement and see if it lasts the test of time.
Andy Whittingham
6   Posted 11/12/2007 at 19:55:47

I totally agree.
She’s nearly as bad as Jonathan Pearce!
Mark Wynne
7   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:08:00

I thought she was fine. Let’s face it, we are so geared to listening to a bloke that it’s always going to be a surprise. Good on her anyway - to be honest I don’t care if she comments every week, particularly if the result is the same COYB!
Keith Glazzard
8   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:01:12

I listened to what she was saying, and she sounded at least as useful as most of the usuals. The Motsons of this world we can do without anyway, particularly the sort that assume that so-called top teams have some sort of divine right to win.

In case you need to catch up on highlights from games remember that Virginmedia have all the PL matches on for the week from Monday. Its not just a rerun of BBC stuff, but other interesting bits too and whoever has been doing the commentary for our games - sounds male to me, but what do I know? - seems to make a good job of it. It’s free.
Mick Simo
9   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:10:13

I dont watch match of the day, I am lucky to have sky and match choice, I fucking hate Hansen and the other goons who front it, but most of all I hate the way we get a token 2 minutes air time, so I have never heared this bird, but fuck me she cant be worse than John fuck face Motson. TO be honest I dont give a riding fuck who comentates on BBC its shite anyway.
Simon Jones
10   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:23:24

Oh come on, is that all you can worry about? The commentator (whose name escapes me) has come from Five Live, has proved knowledgable, asks intelligent questions and has a perfectly acceptable voice. Has anyone listened to Eleanor Oldroyd? Also knowledgeable and a great presenter. Fellow Blues, the days when women stayed at home while we went to the footy are long gone. Look how many more women go to the match now. Are we to ban them for their high pitched cheering? Women make up something like 50% of the population nowadays and are likely to stay around. I suggest you try and get along with them.
Charlie Percival
11   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:30:40

Peter say that to my face then we?ll see who acts like a woman then.

Alan Clarke
12   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:37:49

Some women even go to the match as well! I have seen at least 2 who sit near me in the Park End. I suspect they might be lesbians though as they wear trousers.
El-ray Jackson
13   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:46:14

Made me cringe. Just didn’t sound right. By the way i think Pete is a transvestite.
Keith Glazzard
14   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:41:06

Statistical note - women outnumber men in the population, because they (on average) live longer than men.

This could be because men work so hard as to put themselves into early graves to support their families. It is actually because of suicidal male behaviour in cars, pubs and outside pubs these days where they smoke. Women - god bless em - seem to be doing their best to catch up from what I can see. Some of them are even becoming football commentators. A slippery slope.
David Jones
15   Posted 11/12/2007 at 20:52:06

She is a load of rubbish and I don?t want to have to listen to her again. Football is a mans game, I don?t want to listen to some high pitch female commentating and frankly spoiling my enjoyment of the game. Are you tellingt me they couldn?t employ a man who could do just as good, lets be honest..FAR BETTER, job?? Of course they could. Nothing but namby pamby PC mad tokenism. Get Mike Newell on the job.
waynemc
16   Posted 11/12/2007 at 21:10:50

Effin women gettin more & more involved... ridiculous!! They should never be more than eye candy in a
’Logan-esque / Georgie Thompson’ type role. Really Im sure they’d make excellent net ball commentators :)
Alex Baker
17   Posted 11/12/2007 at 21:47:48

I must admit, the voice was just so strange compared to what I was expecting. But in fairness, she knew what she was talking about - she was a hell of a lot more focused on the game than some commmentators I’ve heard that ramble on and on with no reference to what’s been happening in the match at all.
James Elworthy
18   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:33:44

Soon women will have the right to vote, drive a car and wear a skirt above their knee also.
Most women who sit near me at the game are very knowledgeable and though this commentator was a bit high pitched she knew her stuff.
Victor Meldrew
19   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:45:58

She was abysmal, though this doesn’t mean women shoudln’t be allowed to participate. There’s no reason why they should be prohibited from playing, oh yeah i forgot they’re shit
Adam Clark
20   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:47:25

Yes she was very knowledgable, spot on with the vocab etc, but i just couldn’t listen to her, her voice made me cringe, too high pitched!!
David Jones
21   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:50:44

David, millions of people ?know their stuff? when it comes to footy, i?d just like to know why we have to listen to this divvy screeching over our match?? There are plenty of male commentators, on channels all over the world, who I am sure would jump at a job with the BBC. It?s just an absolute nonsense but the world we live in today seems full of such things. Thing what really irks me though is how people are queueing up to defend it. Why can?t people just call a spade a spade anymore?? She?s crap and she?s only on there because she?s a woman, face it.
Martyn Whitham
22   Posted 11/12/2007 at 23:21:38

I’ve nothing against female commentators, but the one on MoTD is awful. Her voice seems to go up in pitch at random points in sentences, regardless of whether it reflects what’s actually happening in the game or not. It just seems amatuerish, a bit like someone got their girlfriend to dub over the footage. Knowledgeable? Sure, but then there are plenty of people who know their stuff but shouldn’t be let near a microphone.

Female commentators... no problem, bad female commentators for the sake of making a point, no thanks.
Richard Porter
23   Posted 11/12/2007 at 23:42:17

I presume those of you against Jacqui Oately on the absis of her high-pitched voice also want Jonathan Pearce kicked off MoTD for the same reason?
Tony Fryer
24   Posted 12/12/2007 at 00:18:40

Charlie isn’t sexist but women should stick to womens football!!! No not at all sexist!

Personally I found her voice a little off putting and ruined my viewing a bit but I had to admit I’m not sure how much of that was down to the fact it was just different from what I’m use to rather than her poor quality. After all at least it wasn’t Mark Lawrenson I had to put up with. I’d rather have Stephen Hawking than him.
Olivia Douglas
25   Posted 12/12/2007 at 00:29:11

You’re disgusted! I feel far worse realising I might be sitting next to one of you. I can’t decide what is more depressing, the fact you would rather Lawrenson, Motson or Pearce, or that we have have fans every bit as Neanderthal as any other.
Arthur Jones
26   Posted 12/12/2007 at 04:46:23

I know that women watch Everton now because one sat next to me once at GP ! She was really annoying beause she new what she was talking about , was totally unbiased and didn?t stink of Stella , Lambert and Butler and balti pies , What?s it coming to ? They?ll want to start their own team soon , mark my words
A.Codd
27   Posted 12/12/2007 at 08:48:53

I agree it was a shambles
But if you think THAT is bad I once got on a PLANE, yes a PLANE and the pilot was a woman.
You can imagine the ditress and fear i experienced as she flew at 32000 feet in the air,whilst checking her make up and her hair every two minutes.
Andy Lloyd
28   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:02:28

Thank God someone else picked up on this, I thought I was the only one. I live with a guy who does the commentary for Doncaster Rovers, and he agreed that she was absolute rubbish. Any sense of excitement or joy at Yakubu’s hat-trick was evaporated by her mouse-like squeakings.

Mind you, I expect little else from the BBC. Paying my licence fee for Hansen, Lawrenson and that Kopite tit Alan Green!
Andy Hudson
29   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:02:16

I doesn’t matter if your knowledgable, it matters that your voice suits commentry. Would it be ok for someone with Torrrets to commentate just cause they knew loads about football? I have absolutly nothing against women commentating on football and those that say ’its a man’s game’ are idiots! But they must have a good commentators voice, and she doesn’t! By all means replace her with another woman, but as long as it doesn’t make you want to stab needles into your ear drums to stop the torture!!! She is diabolical and it ruined my enjoyment of the highlights!
Patty Beesley
30   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:10:13

I put forward Luc Glover for the job - she?s a big Evertonian, like me, but is far more knowledgeable on the game than I will ever be.
Dan Johnson
31   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:14:09

100% spot on as soon as teh commentary started I groaned to my partner why teh fuck do we have to get the whiney woman ruining the highlights of Yaks hatrick.

She was horrible and her voice made ne want to stuick a balck n decker into my ear drums. My partner watched the highlights too then slapped me.
Patty Beesley
32   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:16:21

You lot get on my tits!! If it wasn?t for a woman none of you would be hear anyway to do anything!! As for women starting to go to football games - I have been going for 50 years and so have a lot of others and, I believe, am quite knowledgeable about the game and argue the toss with any male.
James Crolla
33   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:20:15

I don?t think the content was that bad. However, her shrill voice was grating and it did spoil the game somewhat. Maybe she commentate on tennis or gymnatics instead. I?m not a sexist, though ;-)
Tim Toffee
34   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:31:02

I agree that the commentry was not good. The fact that she is female is nothing to do with it. Iit sounded so monotone, so uninterested that it did ruin the enjoyment of watching the goals fly in. It sounded like someone reading a script after too much caffine

I wouldn’t mind a female commentator, but please give us a good one.
Paul Smith
35   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:45:27

I too was devestated having stayed up to watch the mighty blues, I was presented with the worst comentator currently working for the BBC. I’m not sexist, I have nothing against women enjoying football. I even watch womans football on TV, I followed the girls at the World Cup and watch Everton when they are on. I love women, my wife is one!!!

But I cannot stand that woman comentating on football - she does my head in!! She may know her stuff but its the way she does it, even when something exiting is happening its all in the same tone. Now, I cannot say that it is because she is a woman that I don’t like her because there may be women out there who would do a job in the way I like to hear it.

So, to sum up, in the same way that I don’t like Mr Pearce (although he has calmed down a hell of alot and is just about tolerable now!), I also don’t like Jacqui Oately. It’s not coz shes a woman but because I don’t like her voice.
Steve Pugh
36   Posted 12/12/2007 at 09:56:48

I have to say I agree that the commentary was poor. It reminded me of commentary you normally find at the olympic hockey tournaments. In other words the sort of commentator that doesn’t normally commentate on big football matches. Give her time and more experience of commentating on tv and I am sure she will develop properly and, maybe, we will get used to her.
Ed Casey
37   Posted 12/12/2007 at 10:07:23

Jesus! What year is this? Rightly or wrongly, like it or not, the BBC have a diversity policy and its here to stay. Get used to it!

For my money I think we should have the woman from the M&S food ads doing commentary on all our games. ?This isn?t just any football club...this is Everton Football Club?.
Alex May
38   Posted 12/12/2007 at 10:48:43

The dog has only just calmed down after listening to that high-pitched over-excitable squeal.

I’m not sure how ’Yakubu flicks the ball to Yakubu’ and comments about Arteta’s attire can be construed as quality commentating either.

It fails all round.

Almost as bad as that whiney bint we had on’ Ladies Day’ at Goodison recently.
John Lloyd
39   Posted 12/12/2007 at 10:55:37

Get off your fucking high horses people, sexist or not we are entitled to our opinions & my opinion is that she sounded out of place. I didnt like it

She can commentate on womens footie as that is taking off big time apparently, its just I dont want to hear her on motd, it didnt sound right & no amount of arguing with me will change my mind on that........fuck her off to the womens footie please.
Allan Barratt
40   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:00:00

I emailed the bbc, asking who she was & if they could replace her with a woman who sounds as if she knows what she’s talking about. I guess they’ve been told to make MOTD more appealing to woman, why?? i don’t know!
I don’t think she was at the match, i think she had been given a shite script & told to read it. Which will of been dubbed onto the footage.
As expected...I’ve not a reply back!!
Andy Lloyd
41   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:13:08

Id be willing to bet now that she isnt doing either the R.S-Manchester United or Arsenal-Chelsea games for MOTD 2 on Sunday!!!

Ive no problem whatsoever with a female commentator, although one with a slightly lower pitch, but for me it ruined the coverage of the game, and i dont think its fair that the BBC’s diversity policy doesnt extend to the top 4!
Martin Kulkarni
42   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:15:30

I must admit,it reminded me of those children’s ’be a commentator for a day’ TV competitions.Painful!!!

It just shows the contempt the BBC and sporting media in general has for us to foist this laughable tokenism upon the watching public and Evertonians in particular.I am inclined to agree with Allan Barratt,I don’t think she was actually at the game,so if true proves that they couldn’t even be bothered to send anyone which is even worse!

Mind you even I might prefer this woman commentator if it means the BBC finally retire that arsehole John ’hanging on grimly to fourth place’ Motson.For those who may recall it, this is what the dickhead described Everton as doing when commentating on one of our games the season we qualified for the CL. We were nine points clear of the Dark Side Scum when he said it! Prick!!

Gordon Blair
43   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:58:55

I’m bang alongside Andy Hudson’s suggestion... we want commentators with Tourettes... it’d be a f#cking p!ssflaps right laugh.
Martin Berry
44   Posted 12/12/2007 at 12:24:49

Theres only one place for women in football and thats in catering!!!
Andy Callan
45   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:37:03

Ha ha ha ha - good debate lads.

I agree though that women should not be commentating on the game - IF THEY CAN’T DO THE JOB.

I have a feeling that no one would have moaned if she was half-decent; she wasn’t she was shite. Simple as that.

It is polical correctness gone mad. The BBC are the same with Garth Crooks. I am POSITIVE that i am not alone when I say that this man is the biggest pillock on the planet and SHOULD NOT be on the TV commentating of footie. Motson is shite as well.

The BBC have a lot to answer for. Apart from showing Big Sam for the crook that he obviously is. Ha ha ha - now that was brilliant.
James Elworthy
46   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:44:15

I agree with you over Garth Crooks he is a smug fat faced know all, you want to punch the screen when he is on.
I saw the cuptie Harrogate v Mansfield and they had Carlton Palmer as analyser he mumbled every word he said so how he got a job I dont know.

I think the woman commentator is called Jackie Something or other.
My favourite sports commentators were the old ones:
David Coleman on Athletics
Brian Johnson Test Match radio the man was hilarious
Peter O’Sullivan Horse Racing
Harry Carpenter Boxing
Kenneth Wolstenholme Football

The worst
John Motson for his statistics
Jonathan Pierce for telling us the national wage and food of some Eastern European nation we are playing during the commentary
Alan Green because he slags everyone off and he never played the game himself to give him just cause too.

I think you also have to be boring to get a job as the co-commentator because they dont come more boring than David Pleat and David Platt.
Allan Hobbs
47   Posted 12/12/2007 at 14:15:56

Peter Alliss - golf, pure genius; he even makes golf watchable.

Murray Walker anyone?

I think that Jacqui Oatley is a pretty good commentator - its not an easy job and to be given a slot on MOTD must be pretty nerve racking. She clearly knows what she’s talking about and must have a passion for the game, so all you knuckle grazers should slope off back to your caves and be ashamed of yourselves.

Sexism is like a dwarf with learning difficulties....it aint big or clever.

(Yes thats irony)
Mike Newell
48   Posted 12/12/2007 at 16:32:52

I don’t like women in football.
Dave Lawley
49   Posted 12/12/2007 at 17:02:33

No one is having a go at the fact she was a women, or that she didn?t know her football, just the fact it sounded wrong and I didn?t enjoy it, ( I watched the womens world cup and didn?t mind the commentary on there, all women.) This particular woman is not cut out to be a commentator, I disliked it the same as I dislike john helm as a crap commentator. Also I hate the way I need to try and prove I?m not sexist just because I don?t like something a women does.
Lue Glover
50   Posted 12/12/2007 at 20:51:40

Her voice was annoying but perhaps it was because it was an alien sound as a commentary. Remember the fuss when that woman with the LOUD voice introduced he teams for the breat cancer support day? I couldnt hear properly for days.....but......like it or not, women are part of the sporting world these days. More and more women are able to go to football matches, more women follow their children when they play school football and so on. Single parent families are quite common, so mum goes to watch the footy with son/daughter. Traditionally, men/dads have always taken that role but maybe things are changing.
I wonder what the reaction was when the first man went into a kitchen and started cooking? What happened when the first black player played for Darlington was it, over a hundred years ago. We’ve come a long way?
My reaction to the commentary was an ’eeeek, that grates on the ears a bit’ but the fact that it was a woman shouldnt really have caused such a furore.
It’s almost 2008 and football has moved on from the time that my dad wouldnt let me go to Goodison because men would think nothing of peeing in a corner in front of all and sundry, he didnt want me to see drunken men piddling over their own shoes...As a society, we have moved on and should have a mutual respect for eachothers strengths and weaknesses. Equally, we are all entitled to our opinions and no one is forced to read TW.
Kick racism out of football but let’s not replace it with sexism.