Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Van about town

Is David Moyes leaving Andy van der Meyde to rot in the reserves? He scored against Wigan in the reserves maintaining some level of fitness. But there is bugger all info on the official site about him. Just wondering why are the club wasting money paying his wages for nothing? They had enough chances to terminate his contract.
Adam Harris, Wirral     Posted 11/12/2007 at 21:26:41

Comments

James Elworthy
1   Posted 11/12/2007 at 22:11:03

If you sign a player for X number of years you are contractually obliged to pay him his wages whether he scores a hat trick every week for the first team or plays the odd game for the reserves.
As long as VDM goes to training he will pick up his wage despite the fact he doesnt get selected for the first team. His misdemeanours have caused fines and suspensions but he hasn?t done anything serious enough to result in termination of his contract.
We could pay him off like Newcastle have just done with Babayaro but if he has 6 months contract left with wages at 25k per week, that is about 600k. You would have to pay him a significant lump sum perhaps 75% of that amount for him to agree to terminate his contract
Dominic Fitzpatrick
2   Posted 11/12/2007 at 23:22:46

Does anyone think he’ll be given a game against Alkmaar?

We’ve got more important games to think about and I think it would sense playing an experimental side, maybe put him in the team with Vaughan and Anichebe upfront.

Just a thought.
Ean Palese
3   Posted 11/12/2007 at 23:38:39

VDM is a class player. it has been written recently that he has been tending to his seriously ill child and trying to put his football back right. Also he is deathly afraid of flying so that hinders his travel a bit as well. Have not heard whether she is getting better but he has been gaining fitness and should be ready for selection. Moyes is a hardass when it comes to off-the-field nonsense but VDM has paid his dues by now.

When he is on his form he is up there with the best crossers in the game and can score as well. He would be a BIG help to the squad if he gets another chance. Come on Moyes, give the lad a shot and turn the cheek about his past screw-ups. He has bags of skill and will be like adding a top new player if he is given a proper run out in the first team!
Jim McMahon
4   Posted 12/12/2007 at 00:01:08

He is a lazy sod, as simple as that. The sooner he is gone the better.
James Trotter
5   Posted 12/12/2007 at 00:11:57

James Elworthy has been playing too much Football Manager!

Don?t even think about denying it.
Sean McNally
6   Posted 12/12/2007 at 00:41:36

And.........?

James Elworthy as got the right idea......
Footy Manager all the way son!
James Elworthy
7   Posted 12/12/2007 at 08:41:32

I have never played that game ever the only game I used to play was PGA golf
. I am stating a fact.
If you sign a contract you have to get paid for it whether your a football player or a binman.

Pistone signed a one year extension to his contract got injured and never played once in his final year but he was well paid for sitting around,.
Matt Geraghty
8   Posted 12/12/2007 at 10:04:37

Enough of this AVM is a class player, he’s not, he’s a useless lump of lard.
I know he has had problems, but ffs, doesn’t everyone - get on with it, or fuck off.

p.s I’ll show my arse in Woolies window if he player against AZ Alkmar
Alan Rodgers
9   Posted 12/12/2007 at 10:57:03

Without wishing to sound harsh there are plenty of blokes out there with sick kids. At least VDM can afford to get the best help. It’s not an excuse to be missing for season after season. He can’t fulfill his obligations to Everton and he should just do one.
John Lloyd
10   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:00:16

I agree, fuck him right off & dont throw the argument that his daughter is sick. I am fully aware of that situation but if that was my daughter I wouldnt be on the piss as regular as he is, in all sorts of parties.

Just let him rot & never let him near the first team again. Another selfish waste of talent
dave trudgeon
11   Posted 12/12/2007 at 11:14:04

his daughter is seriously ill
he has a lot of ability
he has a valid excuse to be an alky
he has now, because of his choices, ruined his career at everton
its a shame this has happened because we haven’t had a good winger for years and i love wingers and i was hoping and praying he would be a success, but he won’t
John Lloyd
12   Posted 12/12/2007 at 12:09:00

Hes never an alcoholic.

Alcoholics have a diesese, he just likes going out, there is a big difference. He wouldnt be playing reserve team football if he was an alcoholic, it would also have given DM legitimate reasons to terminate his contract which you all should know he wants to do.

I myself was hoping he would get back on track for us & be the player he showed he once could be, but his daughter wasnt sick at Inter Milan & he had his problems with his ’social life’ he just seems to be an unmotivated user who is happy to take a wage & see out contract.

I do hope his daughtermakes a full recovery from the illness she has been suffering, I still never want to see AVdM anywhere near our 1st team.
Tony Waring
13   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:00:07

He’s a human being for pete’s sake and he has problems just like everyone else - perhaps more so, his daughter’s illness for example. He obviously has a bit of class or we would’nt have bought him n’est ce pas ? I think he should be given another decent period in the first team. As someone else noted he is a winger, can send over decent crosses and also can score goals. What more do you want ?
Allan Hobbs
14   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:04:24

I want alot more Tony, but neither you, Everton or Andy Van der Meyde can provide me with them; anyway, enough about me.

I agree with you, AVDM is a class player, and he should get a run in the first team for sure - I’ve never heard noise like it when he made his debut against Boro in the Carling Cup way back when; my ears were ringing for the rest of the night purely from that moment and I’d love to see him play for us again.
James Elworthy
15   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:17:21

0 goals in 18 Everton appearances, 1 goal in 32 Inter MIlan appearances not exactly what I would personally call a proven goalscorer, even Beattie managed more than that.
Andy Callan
16   Posted 12/12/2007 at 13:28:06

The fella is made out of lego, sand and glass isn’t he Regardless of the off-the-field problems the poor bloke has had, he is injured all the time.

I woud personally love to see him have a run of 10 games in the first team so we can have a proper look at him. Unfortuntely however, I don’t think that we are goin’ to get to see him for some reason.
Harj Badial
17   Posted 12/12/2007 at 14:00:51

VDM deserves a chance- we all make mistakes - I still feel he will turn out to be good.
Also you refer to his goals ratio - he is a winger - not a striker. Arteta?s strike rate isn?t great but - what a player !

Give the lad a chance !
Brian Waring
18   Posted 12/12/2007 at 16:45:23

VDM should have his bags packed in Jan and fucked off.How many chances does the guy deserve?I know his little girl is sick(and he has my best wishes over that)but was she sick when he was at Inter?He had the same problems there, and that is why they wanted shut off him.
John Lloyd
19   Posted 12/12/2007 at 17:02:22

Reading over the comments of people who want this waste of space back in side it seems you want a winger/creative midfielder more than AVdM as an individual. I agree with you on that but this fella is not the answer, forget his daughter, his booziness, his problems & his past.

I watched him in the mini derby the other night & he played SHITE, I also caught him in two other reserve games this season & guess how he played.........SHITE!

What message is that sending to our youngsters? If you fuck around for two years, play shite in reserves & have numerous off the field problems then you get a game??

I’d rather see one of the youngsters given a go & I dont think any of them are good enough or ready yet either. But thats been debated a lot on other threads recently.
Ian McDowell
20   Posted 12/12/2007 at 21:10:52

To be honest lets either get rid, or give him a chance from the bench at least he would offer something different from the bench coming on as sub. I seen him a few times last season and he can beat a man and certainly has a good delivery on him.