Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Moyes quotes

Just read a quote from Moyes on the BBC website and Evertons "The way we came back after they scored was terrific. The first-half might have been as good as we have played in my time here."

I agree it was great to get back in the game, and it was a great win away from home, but having watched it i didnt think we played that well at all, although we where the better side throughout. Either he's been mis-quoted or I wasn't watching the right game... Again great great win ? just a little surprised to see those comments as we've played alot better and will again, does anyone agree with his comments, was it our best performance?
Mark  Culbert, Old Swan     Posted 12/12/2007 at 23:43:15

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Probably means the boys really worked hard, ran themselves ragged.... Good game!
EJ
1   Posted 13/12/2007 at 04:46:12

I saw the game last night and I have to ask, "DID WE OVERPLAY AT TIMES?" I mean, here we are, passing the ball around, and really running WH ragged.

There were times that I had doubts that I was watching Everton here.

Get the ball to Mikel, Ossie and Pienaar and boy, really, at times, I thought we were Arsenal in blue...

So I have to admit, we played really well in the 1st half. The defenders looked very assured (except for that moment of miscomm). The 2nd half was always going to get tougher because of fatigue. Also, WH did very well, closing down our midfield very quickly, so that didn’t help either.

But er... I still think the 4 - 1 victory over Aston Villa some seasons ago and the 3 - 1 against Spurs were better then this. But having said that, our guys are showing a level of maturity that’s not been seen since the 80s. Tts what Europe games bring us.
Brian Hill
2   Posted 13/12/2007 at 05:07:31

Just heard the full interview. Moyes actually said that "bits" of our play were as good as anything he has been involved with - not the whole first half.
Vinod Kumar
3   Posted 13/12/2007 at 06:25:12

I thought that for the last 20 min of the 1st half we cloned ourselves as arsenal!!! What inch perfect passing!!!
Arthur jones
4   Posted 13/12/2007 at 06:58:41

I went to WH last night and because everyone stood up in the blues end of the ground ( I was in the lower part ) , my view of the game wasn’t perfect but i thought at times in the 1st half we completely overrun WH , who’ve just beaten Blackburn ,. Peanut especialy had them twisted in knots . This is definately the best team we’ve had since 1980’s and we are going to get better , When we signed the Yak I was a bit surprised ’cos he’s not a typical " David Moyes " type of player but he adds something new to the team , Goals galore , good ones , scrappy ones .. who cares , goals win games , Keep it up boys , .. It’s good being a Blue , init ?
Erik Dols
5   Posted 13/12/2007 at 07:58:38

We’re in the semi’s of a cup. Can you believe it? It’s getting better all the time!
Art Greeth
6   Posted 13/12/2007 at 08:11:22

Moyes is very explicit in his evertonTV interview:

"I think the first half was as good as we’ve played in maybe my time in football as a manager, maybe as good a football as we’ve ever played... people who watched the game tonight will say that certainly Everton are an improving side".

For some weeks now throughout this run I have been mightily impressed by the quality of the goals we are creating. Ossie’s goal last night was another one to add to that list. Follow it from the begining, when Joleon takes a throw in on the left. Watch the movement, the interchange, the hold-up play, the one touch lay-offs between the likes of Carsley, Pienaar, Ossie, Mikel and Neville. See the coolness of Pienaar, drawing in three defenders, a little stand on the ball before laying off a perfectly weighted pass to Ossie who has long taken up a perfect position (note how long he has his hand in the air asking for the pass) then PASSES the ball into the net. This is top, top quality football... and we have been scoring any number of goals of this ilk for some weeks now.

Even Yak’s goal, put down as a defensive mix-up between Gabidon and Green, is of the Yak’s making. Look carefully. He is not the passive beneficiary of a defensive blunder. He creates the havoc. From Carsley’s long ball, Yak starts behind the two covering defenders. He runs past both of them and gets between Gabidon and Green before either of them first get a touch on it. And when the two hammers do botch it between them, it is still a tidy and calm finish by the Yak.

I dunno about the rest of you, but the games can’t come quick enough for me to enjoy at the moment, and I’m sure it’s the same for the players. A hard work ethic combined with ever blossoming skill - and I agree with Moyes. We haven’t started to peak yet and see the full potential of some players.

Maybe, just maybe, we are on the cusp of something special here...

PS: ... who else enjoyed seeing the blown-up doll being thrown gleefully amongst Evertonians after each goal? Made me laugh out loud... COYB!
Allan Hobbs
7   Posted 13/12/2007 at 09:43:07

Fabulous game, great result; only bad thing was having to sit with the West Hams fans and seeing one of our boys get a good hiding......

First half we were exactly like Arsenal; I turned to my mate and said exactly that, like Arsenal in blue. Loads of flicks & touches, one-touch passing, movement, fluid flowing football, really easy on the eye and the nasty bastard Hammers fans around me were silent. Ha! Serves them fucking right. I dont usually bitch about other fans, but I’ve sat in a fair few away ends at Everton games and this lot were the worst I’ve seen for 15 years.

I really hope we do em on Saturday again.
Tony Ateman
8   Posted 13/12/2007 at 10:57:31

I was listening to the commentary on 5 live sports extra last night and one commentator Darren ....whatshisface... kept getting excited saying Pienaar was diving all over the place, and how the referee must stop this. However he later revealed that he had a bet on West Ham to win! Was Pienaar diving all over? He did not make any glowing comment about the quality of Everton’s play.
Allan Hobbs
9   Posted 13/12/2007 at 11:52:23

Steve - Stubbs is injured, Da Silva is out on loan and VDM has had his legs removed.
Allan Hobbs
10   Posted 13/12/2007 at 11:53:31

Oh and Tony - yes, Pienaar was falling over rather alot, although he stopped doing after about 3 attempts at a perfect 6.0

He fell over in the area twice, then once more near the corner flag. Then he realised the ref wasnt going to give anything and worked harder on standing up. The West Ham fans were not pleased.
Tony Ateman
11   Posted 13/12/2007 at 12:02:52

Thanks Allan.
Allan Hobbs
12   Posted 13/12/2007 at 12:28:18

Someone behind me suggested that he might be wearing slippers.

Ha

Ha

Ha
Patty Beesley
13   Posted 13/12/2007 at 12:39:06

Allan Hobbs .... The way I heard it, West Ham were the ones diving particularly Carolton Cole and Lucas O?Neill but the ref wasn?t having any of it. In fact our boys were, at times, taking quite a bashing from the West Ham players - Timmy,.
Peanuts and Arteta were on the receiving end. Look out Saturday, the Hammers will be out for revenge.
Allan Hobbs
14   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:27:24

Patty - agreed, it was a pretty physical game but Pienaar DID fall over too easily on a number of occasions. There was one when he was in the box backing into someone and was clearly waiting for a touch to fall over; he just rolled his man and hit the deck, then did it again & again for about 5 minutes. Its a wonder he didnt get booked but there you go.

I didnt notice Cole or Lucas Neill diving at all I have to say. Anyway it doesnt matter - Pienaar played really well so a 5 minute bout of silliness is excusable. : ))
David Singer
15   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:35:43

In the first half, Osman particularly was crashed into from behind and Halsey didn?t give a yellow card. The incident in the penalty area with Pienaar looked a penalty to me but we were down the other end. Once in the second half Pienaar appeared to dive (vs Neill, down our left). The other times he was getting bundled over. Arteta was getting fouled a lot too. Halsey twice called us back for free kicks when playing advantage would?ve been much better.
David Singer
16   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:47:53

Allan, I take your point but the incident you refer to with Pienaar in the area... I?ve seen them given! He was waiting for that challenge though.

What did you think of the one in the 1st half? The defender appear to body check him.