Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Tony Cottee

Am I over sensitive or did it bug anyone else listening to Tony Cottee on Sky last night? Now don't get me wrong, we all know where his loyalties really lie, but don't tell us one story in your Echo article as far as being happy for 'either of my teams' to be in the semi and on telly look as if your Granny's just died when Everton win. He looked distraught and even groaned when Osman equalised!

As I say, it's self-evident he'll probably always be a Hammer, but I have to say that I was very disappointed in his reaction to the result. These things last long in the memory of Blues in a similar way to Andy Gray's joyful "get in there" exhibition following Gerrard's CL goal against Olympiakos.
Baz Johns, Glasgow     Posted 13/12/2007 at 12:54:56

Comments

Steve Lyth
1   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:40:32

TCs West Ham thru and thru, whats your problem ? He also said that even if the Ammers lost he would have his second team to supprt in the next round.
The guy is champion in my book
Craig Stanley
2   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:41:34

Well mate when even the missus notices the bias towards West Ham spouted by Mr Cottee last night it must be bad!!
On a serious note though,i did notice it,he went as far to say "West Ham have dominated the second half" whereas every match report i’ve read since contradicts this view.
But who cares eh?,we’re through,they’re not!!Ha Ha Ha!
Marcus Dawson
3   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:43:37

I think you?re being over sensitive Baz, he?s a Hammer and that?s fair enough. I much prefer commentators who have the balls to come out of the closet, unlike that cretin Alan Green who takes regular swipes at us and tries to pretend he?s impartial. I switch off every time I hear his voice.
Allan Hobbs
4   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:48:38

From where I was sitting West Ham did dominate the second half - they just didnt create much.

Cottee is a Hammer and fair play to him. End of.
Phil Gordon
5   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:52:35

Allan, how can you say the Hammers dominated when they never had as shot at goal.

We dominated the first half with some excellent passing and really should of been in front. Second half was pretty even with no real chance created.

I must admit it did annoy me slightly when Cottee said Everton don?t deserve to win and if there?s any justice West Ham will get an equaliser.

What crap, even Curbishley admitted after the game that they were poor and Everton were the better team. A lot of the Hammers fans have said as much, criticising their own teams lack of creativity whilst commending Everton?s high tempo passing!!

Although he did say we outmuscled them which I find slightly strange when we have a midfied of midget gems!
John Lloyd
6   Posted 13/12/2007 at 13:58:05

i'ts more the fault of the Echo who had him as a columnist, pretending he was more than just fond of us!

He?s never made any bones about being a Hammer but the Echo still gave him a column to write about Everton over the 1000 other ex players more qualified who live in or around the city & still have connections to the club.

Another reason to prove that the Liverpool Echo is one of the biggest rags out there!!

I woulda laughed my arse off watching him sit there, gutted that his beloved Hammers had just been dumped out the cup by Davey Moyes's Blue & White Army!!!
Dave Lynch
7   Posted 13/12/2007 at 14:05:33

Cottee is iron through and through.
Just as we are blue, the lad is honest and i respect him for that.
I will love him forever for the 2 goals he scored against the devils hordes in that epic game.
Baz Johns
8   Posted 13/12/2007 at 14:07:07

John,

Think this is probably the root of my issue in hindsight. It certainly does seem a bit strange the fact that the Echo column was given to Cottee in the first place. Think as you say there are a large number of ex-players who you would put in front of him when it came to chosing someone to speak on behalf of the club and its fans.
Shaun Brennan
9   Posted 13/12/2007 at 14:57:05

Steve,

The guys not champion in Graeme Shaprs book
Jay Campbell
10   Posted 13/12/2007 at 14:58:53

John Lloyd good shout.
Allan Hobbs
11   Posted 13/12/2007 at 15:22:12

Phil - from where I was sitting, in the second half West Ham looked like they had alot more of the ball; I did say ’they didnt creat much’ Neither team had a shot on goal until them in about the 85th minute, then the Yaks winner.
Jack Johnson
12   Posted 13/12/2007 at 15:48:47

I’m with you Baz. I’m 22 and TC was one of my early blue hero’s. I’ve never seen him support anyone but everton and even though he’s also a hammer I was pretty gutted to realise that he clearly wanted them to go through. I’ve already taken down my Tony Cottee poster and i’ve even asked me mates to stop calling me Tony and start calling me Jack, my real name.
Paul Hetherington
13   Posted 13/12/2007 at 16:50:28

I didn’t see Tony Cottee but can’t say I’m really surprised...

I listened to the commentary on "radio five live extra" and the level of bias exhibited there was, I felt, on a par with a local radio station. There were numerous times when I felt angry enough to write into the BBC.

However, I had to laugh when I heard Matt Holland say that he thought West Ham would have the edge going into the end of the game due to their ’higher fitness levels’. What proof did he have for this?! The fact he knew the fitness coach at West Ham! He seemed to completely overlook the fact that Everton almost always score in the last five minutes. Surely more proof of fitness than the fitness coach being ’a bloody nice chap’.
David S
14   Posted 13/12/2007 at 16:56:02

Allan - I think it was your use of the word "dominate" that Phil had issue with. Fair enough though, they did have more of the ball.

As for Cottee, I also support Barnet and I’ve not forgiven him for taking Barnet from the edge of the play-offs to relegation places, then leaving.
Steve Lyth
15   Posted 13/12/2007 at 17:04:37

Shaun, I may have to rewrite my version of events lol thanks mate
Seamus Murphy
16   Posted 13/12/2007 at 17:05:04

You are over sensitive. He is a West Ham supporter, whats the problem with that?
bb
17   Posted 13/12/2007 at 17:18:00

Dominated, stats 58% to us, 42% for them, end off. 20 fouls to them, 8 to us, also end of. Match is over, we won, Hammers lost. Cottee just a sore loser
Patrick Einsmann
18   Posted 13/12/2007 at 18:54:35

Cottee is a legend! He may be a hammer but he never lost touch with his roots and banged in more than enough important goals for us.
Billy Brad
19   Posted 13/12/2007 at 19:41:11

Cottee a legend ! Who are you trying to kid, he was a selfish goalscorer who didnt know the meaning of teamwork, and couldnt head a ball.
Roy Coyne
20   Posted 14/12/2007 at 01:03:59

I am sure I read in one of our ex-players book that as long as Cottee scored he did not care if the team won or not I think it was Sharpy but cant say for sure he only came to us instead of Arsenal because we offered a bigger pay packet fair enough he has always been a hammer but as already stated why did the Echo give him his own column when more deserving guys are out there