Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Winner

Well, we?ve all had time to reflect on the West Ham cup result. We?ve all read the papers and the internet. I think it?s necessary to put more flesh on the bone about the winning goal. At the very least, we can indulge ourselves.

From what I have read, the traditional media have stayed very firmly in their lazy, cliché-ridden half-hearted world and given stories as to how Yakubu?s late goal nicked it for Everton. Needless to say that there was much, much more to it than that.

The ins-and-outs of the game aside I, as one who was present, wanted to give a better summary of the winner than was scored. The details were overlooked by the media. I feel that my recollection of the details is worth recording.

There wasn?t long left. Most of us had long given up agitating for a substitution. It was widely accepted that we would be playing extra time. Then, a West Ham attack broke down and Carsley had the ball. From what seems like a million miles away, he belted it long. Hopeful, or not, I don?t know ? I?m not Lee Carsley. I will say this; he looked up. I saw his face. He belted it and Yakubu took off. He ran miles. The ball dropped in the West Ham area.

Green and Gabbidon bottled it. They let it bounce. Green dithered; Gabbidon panicked and touched his head on the bounced ball. Green flapped. Yakubu watched it all. He got in there and was part of it. He was big, strong and menacing. The ball dropped at his feet and the goal was open. Thousands of Evertonians were behind the goal giving it the dinner-plate eyes. Yakubu put it in the net.

Yakubu had a great game. He can play football, and well. He also smelled blood and followed it through. Green and Gabbidon crapped their pants. Yakubu didn?t. Single minded: one purpose.

We?re through. We have a great side. So far so good.
Myles Sunley, London     Posted 13/12/2007 at 23:50:48

Comments

Barry Bragg
1   Posted 14/12/2007 at 07:38:55

Just watched the goals again

It looks like Gabbidon tried to head the ball to Upson but Green tried to take it and fumbled. Yak did fantastic for this goal. He chased harried and menaced them and his finish from the corner of the 6 yard box was sweet and instinctive.

Also how about his layoff to Carsley during the build up to Osmans Goal. Turned Nevilles nothing ball into a neat bit of play. GREAT SKILL.

If we can get the 3 points on Saturday we could be top 6.
Peter Pridgeon
2   Posted 14/12/2007 at 08:00:46

Myles and Barry
Good comments, did you see how the defenders and the goalie panicked because Yakubu was in the goal area. His sheer presence and strength scared the shit out of them.
Most other strikers would not have a shit show of getting their foot on the end of a ball like that.

Barry
Give credit to Neville when its due, that ball to Yak was well placed and well timed and led to the build up for the first goal.

Pienaar is something special and I hope we sign him. I here his contract at Dortmund terminates at the end of this season does anyone have any more on this.
Mark Perry
3   Posted 14/12/2007 at 08:23:19

Think his contract ends in Jan 2008.
Barry Bragg
4   Posted 14/12/2007 at 08:52:36

Yep Pienaar has another year on his contract after this one. I think a fee in the region of £2.5m (to make the move permanent) was being bandied about when we signed him on loan. Even though the lad is playing out of his skin. Moyes will wait till the summer and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to squeeze the price down a bit also (tongue only partially in cheek here). What a bargain that will be.
Nick Coyne
5   Posted 14/12/2007 at 08:59:09

After the Sunderland thrashing, I bumped into Mr. Kenwright as he was heading towards the Park End. Myself and a couple of the lads engaged him in conversation and the main topic of conversation was the mercurial Steven Pienaar. He confirmed "that if the manager decides that he wants him, then we have an agreement in place already with a fixed transfer fee of £2.8m-£3m".

This kid is special. Arteta mark 2.

Hats off to Moyesey for picking him over bastard Koumas!!
Phil Bellis
6   Posted 14/12/2007 at 11:12:19

I was behind the goal when Yakubu thrashed that one in for Porstmouth. It took me back to the Latch’s debut when he belted one against the Gwladys St post; it was still shaking at full-time!
Defenders were scared of Latchford.
I watched the W Ham game on the PC via Sopcast with the Smellorama toggle (www.dabs.com) in the USB port. As the Yak powered in on goal the stench of 3 lots of bowels loosening was overwhelming.